The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-27-2015, 03:22 AM
Majesty

Those magnificent tiaras worn by the Percy sisters don't flatter either of them.

Lady Catherine's looks as if she plopped hers on her head as an afterthought on her way out the door and Lady Melissa's looks too large for her head. It looks like it's going to slide down and cover her eyes!

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 08-25-2015, 01:36 AM
Imperial Majesty

I didn't like Beatrice's hairstyle:

1 2

Old 08-25-2015, 03:15 AM
Heir Apparent

Yes, I agree. Melissa Percy has a long rather angular face with an aquiline nose like her father's. The family coronet did not flatter her at all. Too large. She would have looked better with the Percy tiara, but worn with a not too severe up do. Katie Percy was rather eccentric in the way she wore this tiara. Perhaps she thought it was fun?
Old 04-13-2016, 01:35 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveCP View Post
I didn't like Beatrice's hairstyle:

1 2
I thought it was sophistication par exellence...
Old 07-09-2017, 01:14 AM
Imperial Majesty

Ekaterinas hairstyle was beautiful and elegant:

Royal Wedding Jewels in Hanover | The Court Jeweller
Old 01-15-2018, 03:08 PM
Heir Apparent

Princess Claire of Luxembourg
http://www.gettyimages.com/license/181423938
http://www.gettyimages.com/license/181414588
Old 01-15-2018, 03:13 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveCP View Post
Ekaterinas hairstyle was beautiful and elegant:

Royal Wedding Jewels in Hanover | The Court Jeweller

It was indeed, and that tiara is just perfection.

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 05-21-2018, 01:33 AM
Heir Apparent

So I guess I will be the first to bring up the recent royal brides hair in this thread. The words that come to mind when I see her hair are messy, unkempt, and thrown together. Not only is there hair coming from the sides but also some coming out of the back.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 05-21-2018, 02:41 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
So I guess I will be the first to bring up the recent royal brides hair in this thread. The words that come to mind when I see her hair are messy, unkempt, and thrown together. Not only is there hair coming from the sides but also some coming out of the back.
I didn't notice her hair.. I thought that her outfit as a whole was not particularly attractive.. (I don't like criticising someone's wedding dress but it seemed to vbe very generic... and I didn't like the veil.. (too thin) or the tiara. I think as she was an older bride, she could have maybe opted for some other form of headgear, a hat, or ornaments or flowers...
Old 05-21-2018, 02:47 AM
Nobility

Quote:

You're correct and perceptive. The long strand which had escaped from the front appeared to have had it's roots -pardon the pun- at the centre parting. It MAY have once been a fringe/shorter layer. Whatever it was, it was clearly too short to have been fixed into the chignon. Back in those heady days when hairdressers could cement a bride's hair within an inch of it's life with hairspray It MAY have been possible to prevent such 'disobedience' -these days more and more brides are wanting to look as if they've done their hair themselves. They want a softening of severity. As a one time hairdresser, I've pulled strands free to aid that look. The logistics which would have been required to prevent escaping strands would have resulted in different hairstyle ie the chignon would have needed repositioning and/or reshaping. Such may not have been the look the bride wanted to acheive -I've noted that her hand frequently strays up to remove a recalcitrant strand from her face. I feel the use of the words "messy, unkempt and thrown together" -because of two escaping strands in an otherwise exquisite look- are an exaggeration.
Old 05-21-2018, 02:52 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
I didn't notice her hair.. I thought that her outfit as a whole was not particularly attractive.. (I don't like criticising someone's wedding dress but it seemed to vbe very generic... and I didn't like the veil.. (too thin) or the tiara. I think as she was an older bride, she could have maybe opted for some other form of headgear, a hat, or ornaments or flowers...

I did a hasty sketch about an hour before the wedding. I was aiming for ethereal which is exactly what it was. I got the back wrong, but other than that I was spot on about the shape and material. Personally, I thought the gossamer veil was a joy.
Old 05-21-2018, 08:10 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
You wanted her to wear a hat on her wedding day? :/
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 05-21-2018, 08:14 AM
Majesty

Quote:
I think her hair was the one weak point in an otherwise very successful overall bridal look.

The problem was all from the front, imo.

But according to her hairdresser Serge Normant, the messy bun with strands falling was exactly what Meghan wanted.

Old 05-21-2018, 08:40 AM
Commoner

Is it possible that the veil ruin her up do? It's very long and even though it's gossamer thin, it must be pretty heavy. The same thing happened to my friend and her veil wasn't even as long
Old 05-21-2018, 08:46 AM
Courtier

I think the somewhat messy hair is her signature. No reason Meghan would changes just for her wedding. Personally, I like a relaxed look, but it is not to everyone's taste.

My guess is that her hair is being forced to do something it would not naturally do. It's hard to make hair behave without serious interventions that are potentially damaging under those circumstances.
Old 05-21-2018, 09:09 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsaritsa View Post
I did a hasty sketch about an hour before the wedding. I was aiming for ethereal which is exactly what it was. I got the back wrong, but other than that I was spot on about the shape and material. Personally, I thought the gossamer veil was a joy.
Ethereal is the word I would use to describe her veil also. I thought it was absolutely gorgeous and paired well with her dress.
Old 05-21-2018, 10:38 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curbside View Post
I think the somewhat messy hair is her signature. No reason Meghan would changes just for her wedding. Personally, I like a relaxed look, but it is not to everyone's taste.

My guess is that her hair is being forced to do something it would not naturally do. It's hard to make hair behave without serious interventions that are potentially damaging under those circumstances.

There'd have been no problem in the days when back-brushing and lacquer were used as a back-up to those other serious and potentially damaging interventions, the very least of which would leave hair with the texture of straw. Back then, it was a question of forcing the hair to do what client and stylist wanted. Now, thankfully, women, generally, and brides in particular, want a more natural look.
Old 05-21-2018, 10:50 AM
Commoner

In the official couple photos she let loose the front strand. Now, why didn't she do that in the wedding instead of tucking it behind the ear? It would have looked natural and not messy.
Old 05-21-2018, 02:14 PM
Royal Highness

My favorites in royal bridal hair
CP Mary of Denmark
Princess Madeleine of Sweden
Queen Mathilde
Princess Sofia of Sweden
Old 05-21-2018, 02:27 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pru911 View Post
In the official couple photos she let loose the front strand. Now, why didn't she do that in the wedding instead of tucking it behind the ear? It would have looked natural and not messy.
Probably because she can have the hairstylist on standby during the photos. Those strands, unfortunately, wouldn't have worked well with the breeze as she was walking up the steps and the carriage ride.

Tags
bride, hairstyle, royal weddings