The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-15-2015, 06:23 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
But she was the Hon. Serena Stanhope, daughter of the current 12th Earl of Harrington and Lady Eileen of the Baronets Grey. She was going to marry Lord David Armstrong-Jones, Viscount Linley. In the presence of the absolute high society and the who-is-who. Everything, the stunning surroundings of the House of Commons' parish church in Westminster, the bride's appearance, the classic dress with a "prudent" overcoat, the fantastic jewels and the elaborate hairdo showed Serena as a statuesque bride in a classic British wedding.

Of course she will not have that hairdo when wearing marigolds and washing the Wedgwood china.

Pic: Hon. Serena Stanhope with her father Lord Charles Stanhope, then Viscount Petersham

Pic: Viscountess Linley with a "Downton Abbey"-vibe next to Prince Michael of Kent, her current hairdo is flat: http://i.huffpost.com/gadgets/slides...9_original.jpg
Wasn't her updo meant for another (bigger) tiara which broke just before the wedding and she had to "make do" with this lower one?

Old 03-15-2015, 06:39 PM
Heir Apparent

The ladies with the unlucky hairstyles at least had stunning carat-power in awesomely royal diadems. Princess Beatrix wore the Württemberg Ornate Pearls and Diamonds Diadem. Her sister Princess Irene even wore a diadem with huge diamonds inherited from the Duchesse d'Angoulême (Marie-Thérèse de France, the only surviving child of the guillotined Louis XVI and Marie-Antoinette). Those blinding sparklers compensate every 1960's style hairdo...

Old 03-15-2015, 06:44 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLV View Post
Wasn't her updo meant for another (bigger) tiara which broke just before the wedding and she had to "make do" with this lower one?
Yes, it was expected the Hon. Serena Stanhope would wear her future mother-in-law's Poltimore Diadem. Her wedding-updo was very similar to Princess Margaret. Even her dress had similarities. We don't know, it is all (fun) speculating.

Old 03-15-2015, 07:00 PM
Serene Highness

I don't know what you guys are talking about-Catherine's hair looked amazing, and it was very much modern and *her*, which IMO is the most important because it's your wedding, not a set at the Copa.
Old 03-15-2015, 07:48 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
Yes, it was expected the Hon. Serena Stanhope would wear her future mother-in-law's Poltimore Diadem. Her wedding-updo was very similar to Princess Margaret. Even her dress had similarities. We don't know, it is all (fun) speculating.

Yes, I thought it was a strong nod to her mother-in-law(Princess Margaret)'s dress, hair and veil.
Old 03-16-2015, 01:08 AM
Majesty

Gosh, Anne-Marie was so young. Only 18 years old on her wedding day..a virtual child bride! But her soft bouffant hairstyle was elegant and perfect.
Old 07-25-2015, 07:38 AM
Heir Apparent

I tell you the truth to the royal brides i noticed more the dresses and the tiaras of course. Very shame i think because some hairstyles is fantastic.
Old 07-25-2015, 10:20 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
If you mean what I think by "rumors" yes, I do. And even though Queen Letizia is still a lovely woman, I think she was much more beautiful BEFORE she made certain....adjustments to her appearance.

In other words she had natural beauty.

Mette-Marit's complexion and bone structure are a marvel.
She did indeed have natural beauty but she was drowned by her hair, veil and gown. I think she must have lost weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suztav View Post
So true, Moonmaiden. Catherine's hair was a disaster. In my opinion her hair style or lack thereof turned a very royal wedding into a suburban one. I can only hope she has changed hair stylists.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirabel View Post
Exactly!

I liked Kate's hair as well. It suited the rather small tiara, although I think an updo would have worked too.
I was very disappointed with Catherine's hair, the half up half down was never going to work. The 'down' sausage curls were pulled almost straight by the weight and volume of her hair and the density and weight of the veil was not chosen to work with either her hair or the tiara.

On the way up the aisle, we could see curls hanging down at the back but the hairstyle itself and the tiara were rendered all but invisible the heaviness opaqueness of the veil's blusher. Nevertheless, it is the only shot where we can clearly see the shape of the tiara against a darker background. After a long ceremony when she came back down the aisle, the extra layer of the blusher pretty much obscured and flattened the half updo and the white bump behind the tiara made it almost invisible.

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/i...0L358675-ssmrH

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/i...Q1BudA7B-rgDu8

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/i...UJgvHJTNAMF9Cg

But, regardless of the hindsight thing like density of veils and curls that fell out, the bottom line was we saw the same hair style she wears to tescos. Nothing special at all.

Sarah, for all her riot of red curls did much better with her hair down.
Old 07-25-2015, 01:08 PM
Heir Presumptive

The problem with Kate's hair is she did it herself, a professional probably could have done the look better, same with her makeup.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 07-25-2015, 01:31 PM
Heir Apparent

Like Princess Margaret and later her daughter-in-law the Hon. Serena Stanhope, also Princess Margriet of the Netherlands opted for a "bird's nest" high on the head with a beautiful diadem around. A succesful hairstyle for a royal bride, if you ask me.

Picture
Old 07-25-2015, 02:27 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
The problem with Kate's hair is she did it herself, a professional probably could have done the look better, same with her makeup.
Exactly. On the one hand that type of self-assurance is to be commended. But a professional would have known about TV lights, camera angles, etc.

Since Kate has such nice hair she had the potential to be one of the best Royal brides with her hairdo, instead she is one of the worst imo,

And her makeup made her face look dark orange/brown with severe eyebrows.

I was very disappointed all around.
Old 07-25-2015, 02:55 PM
Heir Apparent

Totally agree Kate big disappointed They are watching you all the world and you are doing herself? No way
Old 07-25-2015, 07:48 PM
Heir Presumptive

I think Kate should have worn her hair down, it's her best feature and she loves to show it off; but it needed to be done better. It went limp and seemed to need hair spray that would make the curls stay. I believe William and Kate woukd have preferred a small intimate affair but his position would never allow that, so Kate's simple dress and self done hairstyle were her way of keeping the affair closer to the heart and not a national event. I admire her desire but don't admire the result.
Old 07-25-2015, 07:51 PM
Majesty

Yes indeed...great points

Her hair is her best feature. My frustration is that on this one occasion-the most important of her public life-it wasn't displayed well.

Her hair has never looked more amazing than it did at the announcement of her engagement, for example. That's the way it should have looked on her wedding day.
Old 07-25-2015, 08:14 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
I think Kate should have worn her hair down, [.....]

Noooooo !!!!! Not the hair down!!!!!

She had to set herself as Her Royal Highness The Duchess of Cambridge, Countess of Strathearn and Lady Carrickfergus. As a future Princess of Wales. As a future Queen.

Those girlie hairdoes are nice with a sloane ranger skirt and pullover but really, during a royal wedding the hair should be up. She had to make a step up. No longer schoolgirlie Kate from St Andrews but The Duchess of Cambridge.

Why do ballerinas always wear their hair up? Because it immediately takes them a level higher in grace and elegance. A good updo with veil is unbeatable. Add to this that Catherine has a looong structured face with a pronounced chin. The loooong hair make her looking so unpoised and give a slouch posture.

Hair up: http://thestylogue.com/wp-content/up...1712040v_0.jpg
Old 07-25-2015, 08:40 PM
Heir Presumptive

Wearing your hair down does not take away from elegance or looking regal. Plenty of brides have worn their hair down and have like fantastic, case in point Queen Elizabeth. The best wedding hair I have seen was a half up half down look which Kate was going for. This idea that the only way to look regal is to force your hair into a bun is ridiculous and I'm honestly sick of hearing it. Wearing the hair up might be a personal preference of a viewer but it is no better than wearing the hair down. Plenty of woman look sophisticated with their hair down, half up, curled, or all the way up. The style doesn't matter as long as it looks good.
Lalla Sama had the best royal wedding hair I have ever seen and it was half up half down.
Old 07-26-2015, 03:41 AM
Majesty

Quote:
I am staggered that she did it herself. That was a day that will live in history and we have novice Catherine doing her own thing with her hair and makeup.

This was definitely one time that someone should have stood their ground and told her no.

However, I do not believe there is a general rule for bridal hair. Each case should be considered on its own merits,
Old 07-26-2015, 04:09 AM
Majesty

She did not do her own wedding day hair. She had her regular hairdresser do it. He gave an interview about the trial run he did with a toy tiara to test the up/do in several publications. His name was James Pryce.

Kate Middleton's Wedding Hairdresser Has Fallen Out Of Favor With The Duchess: REPORT

Kate did indeed do her own makeup with Bobbi Brown cosmetics, after receiving a consultation with a makeup artist from that company.

Bobbi Brown has awesome products-top of the line-especially the concealer. But I don't think Kate's efforts were a success. In several photos her face looks almost orange and her eyebrows way too strong.
Old 07-26-2015, 04:22 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
She did not do her own wedding day hair. She had her regular hairdresser do it. He gave an interview about the trial run he did with a toy tiara to test the up/do in several publications. His name was James Pryce.

Kate Middleton's Wedding Hairdresser Has Fallen Out Of Favor With The Duchess: REPORT

Kate did indeed do her own makeup with Bobbi Brown cosmetics, after receiving a consultation with a makeup artist from that company.

Bobbi Brown has awesome products-top of the line-especially the concealer. But I don't think Kate's efforts were a success. In several photos her face looks almost orange and her eyebrows way too strong.
Eventually she had hairdresser and the result was that I'm sorry this guy (James Pryce) because i'm sure that everything suggested Kate must made its own. And the make-up agree
Old 07-26-2015, 04:45 AM
Heir Apparent

[QUOTE=XeniaCasaraghi;1804590]Wearing your hair down does not take away from elegance or looking regal. [...] QUOTE]

In theory you are right but sadly it does often not work in practice. When you look at wedding pictures with brides wearing the hair up, they are almost always timeless. When you look at wedding pictures with brides wearing the hair down. Hmmm...

Lady Catherine Percy on her wedding day - with the hair down (picture)

Lady Melissa Percy on her wedding day - with the hair up (picture)

Who looked more like a daughter of His Grace The Duke of Northumberland going to marry? Lady Catherine with a diamond diadem on her hanging hairdo or Lady Melissa with un vrai chignon topped with another diadem?

Lady Diana Spencer with hanging hair, wearing a Spencer diadem (picture)

Victoria, Countess Spencer with hanging hair and the same diadem (picture)

The Princess of Wales with her bridal diadem but now with the hair up (picture)

Tags
bride, hairstyle, royal weddings