The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-25-2011, 01:11 PM
Aristocracy

didn't you noticed that letizia and mathilde's dresses had some similarity?

Old 04-25-2011, 01:17 PM
Serene Highness

My favorite is Letizia's followed by Merre-Marit's. Although a lot of people didn't like Felipe & Letizia's wedding I thought everything about it was so beautiful, Juan Carlos & Sofia really know how to throw a right royal wedding for all three of their children! Letizia's dress was so beautiful to me with the simplicity yet a lot of small details and the beautiful train, it was very nice!

Old 04-25-2011, 01:20 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonc93 View Post
My favorite is Letizia's followed by Merre-Marit's. Although a lot of people didn't like Felipe & Letizia's wedding I thought everything about it was so beautiful, Juan Carlos & Sofia really know how to throw a right royal wedding for all three of their children! Letizia's dress was so beautiful to me with the simplicity yet a lot of small details and the beautiful train, it was very nice!
Totally agree!
Old 04-25-2011, 01:32 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonc93 View Post
i beg to differ.

it was a wedding with controlled emotions, like letizia is, a woman who wants to control everything-even her husband. but i agree that the king and queen of spain made good weddings, i enjoyed more elena and cristina's weddings than felipe's.

and the dress style looks better on a taller woman...maxima in that dress would be fantastic(maxima's valentino dress was stunning!), because is a tall woman...
Old 04-27-2011, 01:57 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by iva View Post
victoria's in first, mette-marit's closely in second, mathilde's in third, i did not like the wedding gowns of the other 3.
tra la la la la, i agree with you!
Old 04-27-2011, 02:02 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

My favorite in the meanwhile would be Mette Marit's gown. It was simply lovely and elegant.
Old 04-27-2011, 02:10 PM
Majesty

mette-marit for me i like the simpler, marys did not do it for me. victorias also simple looks good but still mette-marits wow factor
Old 04-27-2011, 02:31 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarn67 View Post
My rankings:

1. Maxima
2. Mette Marit
3. Victoria
4. Mary
5. Mathilde
6. Letizia

The last 3 are way behind the 1st three with Letizia's dress being my worst. I thought her dress overwhelmed her small frame. Maxima's dress was perfection; high styled couture made of the must luxurious looking fabric. The dress fit her to a t, modest; the contrast between the starkness yet richness of the fabric with the lace vail was stunning and finished with the perfect tiara for Maxima. IMO Maxima arrived to the church with royal princess stamped all over her.

I do believe there's already a long standing thread on this very same topic.
Completely agree! I've exactly the same ranking! And you're right that her dress was perfection. I absolutely love her gown. I guess I should keep a picture of her dress for my own wedding one day lol
Old 04-27-2011, 10:42 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by QUEENECE29 View Post
1- Maxima
2- Letizia
3- Mathilde
4- Victoria
5- Mary
6- Mette-Marit
1. Victoria
2. Mete-Marit
3. Mathilde
4. Maxima
5. Letizia
6. Mary

I saw the sketch of Mary's gown and the actual gown was disappointing to me because the sleeves and the skirt were somewhat limp like. I think it had something to do with the fabric. It was pretty but it would have been even prettier if it turned out as sketched.

I love the lace on Maxima's veil!!!!! Mette-Marit's gown in one word - sleek. Victoria's gown was just different from the rest and it was refreshing to see it. But all of the gowns are lovely, just certain levels of lovely
Old 04-30-2011, 05:37 AM
Royal Highness

my new prefer

1- Maxima
2- Letizia

3- Catherine
4- Mathilde
5- Victoria
6- Mary
7- Mette-Marit
Old 06-12-2011, 03:00 AM
Heir Apparent

I did a new one:

1.Mette Marit

2.Victoria

3.Maxima
Old 06-28-2011, 10:31 PM
Heir Presumptive

1. Maxima
2. Mary
3. Mette-Marit
I'm actually surprised so many people liked Victoria's gown. It seemed very boring to me and had nothing memorable about it. Now from the neck up is a different story.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 06-30-2011, 02:34 PM
Aristocracy

I have to say I liked Mary's Mette Marit's and Victoria's the best.

I am iffy on Maxima's dress I like the veil and the skirt. I think if she had a neckline like the ladies I mentioned I might like it better.

The others I didn't care for though I will say they are better then the bow dress.
Old 07-04-2011, 01:00 AM
Serene Highness

Now that we have few more weddings of reigning families out of the way, I have new rankings for bridal looks of this ~century's (so starting with Mathilde in 1999) crop of of crown princesses/consorts/future consorts. I feel like there should be two kinds of rankings: one for the gown itself and one for the overall look, taking account hair, makeup, veil and fit of the gown:

Rankings by just the gowns:
1. Maxima of the Netherlands
2. Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge
3. Mette-Marit of Norway
4. Letizia of Spain
5. Charlene of Monaco
6. Mathilde of Belgium
7. Victoria of Sweden
8. Mary of Denmark

Definitely being a haute couture designer helps in this category (high marks for Valentino, Sarah Burton/McQueen, and Armani). Both Maxima's, Catherine's and Charlene's gowns had mastery of construction. The embroidery on Letizia's (very regal and symbolic) and Charlene's dress were divine, although I do think Armani went a little overboard with that "column of embroidery down the middle seam" (that seem really bugs me too) Charlene's. Nothing particularly "wrong" with Mathilde and Victoria's dress but found them boring. Mary's is last place because the dress had so much potential with immensely flattering neckline but the cutaways/pleats/folds to reveal the lace underneath was a disaster. I get the novelty of the idea and I think it have been just one panel of revealed lace in down the middle of the skirt, it would have been fine. But you could see the disaster as she was walking out of the church: the overskirt was secured to the lace with stitches at the bottom (I guess so not to damage the lace) and the two layers would separate, the different panels of the overskirt "ballooning" away from the rest of the dress as she walked.

Rankings by overall look:
1. Mette-Marit of Norway
2. Charlene of Monaco
3. Maxima of the Netherlands
4. Mathilde of Belgium
5. Victoria of Sweden
6. Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge
7. Letizia of Spain
8. Mary of Denmark

I know lots of people did not like Mette-Marit's minimal makeup, but everything about that dress, veil and hair made her look like a angelic fairy tale princess (in a good/non 80s a la Diana way). The delicate material of the train and veil (and I generally a big fan of lace veils) made her float on video and in pictures. The image was simply magical. Charlene had equally perfect hair and makeup but I give Charlene the edge because you got to see her radiant beauty more with her off the shoulder dress, low chignon and discrete but impressive hair ornament compared to Maxima's stately big tiara, lace veil and high neckline look. Mathilde and Victoria, again, nothing wrong but nothing particularly impressive except for their heirloom veils and tiaras. Catherine's makeup and hair were iffy, but what disappointed me was the veil: too short and too flimsy and it got blow around like a scarf. I can't quite put my finger on exactly what was wrong with Letizia's look, but I thing the combination of the impressive but heavy dress hairdo and makeup made her look "severe." Probably more curved lines on her dress would had "softened" the look. Poor Mary, again, having a spectacular and historic heirloom veil but with a disastrous result. First, the tiara just sucks, IMO: its too small and the design is not great. Then came the hair: 1) Too big for the tiara AND 2) because the puny tiara backed up against the hair, the tiny thing just disappeared veil AND 3)the hair was not just high, but fanned out to the sides which created a weird fold on the veil near her ears, giving her what many people have called the milkmaid look.

*Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall does qualify for these rankings and would definitely be in the top 3 in both these categories but I didn't think it was appropriate to compare her look to first-time brides on the list.
Old 07-04-2011, 01:35 AM
Heir Presumptive

I'm sorry but isn't Catherine not a Crown Princess?
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 07-04-2011, 02:18 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
I'm sorry but isn't Catherine not a Crown Princess?
Not until William becomes the Crown Prince, which he will become when Charles becomes king. Charles is Crown Prince. Am I right?
Old 07-04-2011, 03:13 AM
Gentry

Yes, you are right,
Old 07-05-2011, 10:36 AM
Serene Highness

Yes, I know Catherine is not a crown princess and neither is Charlene, but I guess I'm talking about major royal weddings of the past decade involving consorts or future consorts (and a future regnant in Victoria's case). I think they all should be grouped together because Catherine and Charlene would be crown/hereditary princess when Charles becomes king or had Charlene married Albert before Rainier's death, respectively. Thus, their weddings were as high profile as any other de facto crown princess event, and their dresses were equally watched, followed and scrutinized. Camilla is a crown princess, too but it was a second wedding, so not going to compare her more "mature" gown to those white dresses of first time brides. Diana's could be ranked, too, but I wanted to keep things to within the last decade-ish to have a fair comparison.
Old 07-05-2011, 10:45 AM
Heir Apparent

1)Maxima
2)Charlene
3)Victoria
4)Mette-Marit

Ranked by overrall look, I would put Charlene at #1...she hit it out of the park on every level.

Since we are only talking about Crown Princesses, I cannot put the Duchess of Cambridge on my list...if we were discussing Royal or aristocratic brides in general she would definitely make my list!
Old 07-05-2011, 02:49 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
1)Maxima
2)Charlene
3)Victoria
4)Mette-Marit

Ranked by overrall look, I would put Charlene at #1...she hit it out of the park on every level.

Since we are only talking about Crown Princesses, I cannot put the Duchess of Cambridge on my list...if we were discussing Royal or aristocratic brides in general she would definitely make my list!
And then Máxima is not a Crown Princess - she is married to a Crown Prince but doesn't bear the title of Crown Princess.

Tags
mary, mathilde, maxima, mette-marit, victoria