Swedish Royal Wedding Facts

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PrincessofEurope

Heir Apparent
City
Wiltshire
Country
United Kingdom
What is the Form of a Swedish Royal Wedding?

since it has been quite a while since we had a major royal wedding in sweden i wanted to know what a royal wedding would be like (say if victoria, carl or madeleine got married:wub:)
would it be an afternoon wedding ie evening dress
would it be a morning wedding ie hats
are there any special swedish custom that happen

since it has been quite a while since we had a major royal wedding in sweden i wanted to know what a royal wedding would be like (say if victoria, carl or madeleine got married:wub:)
would it be an afternoon wedding ie evening dress
would it be a morning wedding ie hats
are there any special swedish custom that happen

difficult to say as there Princes Chrstina had an afternoon Wedding with tiaras and evening gowns in 1974 and King Carl XVI. Gustaf was at noon and there it was long dresses with hats for the ladies and the men in Uniform with Orders and decorations. I think certain is that a Wedding of Victoria will take place at the Storkyrkan at Stockholm.

Just my opinion but I think Victoria's wedding will be a state occasion so for the men it will be uniforms and orders, for the women, hats/tiaras. For Carl and Madeleine it may be gala for the women and balck and white for the men as in tux and bowties.

Stellad

with Victoria and Daniels' wedding now planned for 2010 i was wondering would Madeleine be one of the bridesmaids

has anybody else any ideas on who else might be a possiblity

what is the diference between black tie and white tie?

what is the diference between black tie and white tie?

Black tie is a semi-formal form of dress for a variety of functions such as a dinners, parties, cocktail parties etc. The man wears a black/dark blue dinner jacket/tuxedo, white dress shirt and black bow tie (or possibly another colour of his choice). Women wear either a cocktail dress or long evening gown - trouser suits in my opinion are better kept for lunches!

White tie is the most formal form of evening dress worn for functions taking after 6pm (such as balls, opera, formal dinner) so not approproate for day time (morning suits in grey, black, dark blue worn with top hats appropriate for functions ending by 6pm). For men, white tie consists of a black dress coat, white bow tie, starched shirt with stiff collar and a waistcoat. For women, a ball-gown or long floor length dress would be appropriate - preferably with something covering the shoulders and upper arms - and of course a tiara!

There's no Best Man at a Swedish wedding, and no tradition of the father walking the bride down the aisle either.
At her wedding, Queen Silvia had one 'adult' bridesmaid and five pages & flowergirls.
The big question is indeed whether this will be a white tie/afternoon wedding or a black tie/morning wedding.
Dress code wise, I just hope that there will be a clear decision; the 1976 wedding of King Carl Gustaf and queen Silvia was black tie, but full length day dresses, the result being that ladies fell into the fashion pit of the Dutch 'Prinsjedag'. A very awkward look that rarely can be pulled off in an elegant fashion, IMO.

Dress code wise, I just hope that there will be a clear decision; the 1976 wedding of King Carl Gustaf and queen Silvia was black tie, but full length day dresses, the result being that ladies fell into the fashion pit of the Dutch 'Prinsjedag'. A very awkward look that rarely can be pulled off in an elegant fashion, IMO.

Well, if it was clear that it didnt work then, they'll probably change it.

Black tie is a semi-formal form of dress for a variety of functions such as a dinners, parties, cocktail parties etc. The man wears a black/dark blue dinner jacket/tuxedo, white dress shirt and black bow tie (or possibly another colour of his choice). Women wear either a cocktail dress or long evening gown - trouser suits in my opinion are better kept for lunches!

White tie is the most formal form of evening dress worn for functions taking after 6pm (such as balls, opera, formal dinner) so not approproate for day time (morning suits in grey, black, dark blue worn with top hats appropriate for functions ending by 6pm). For men, white tie consists of a black dress coat, white bow tie, starched shirt with stiff collar and a waistcoat. For women, a ball-gown or long floor length dress would be appropriate - preferably with something covering the shoulders and upper arms - and of course a tiara!

In Sweden the white tie is also used at funerals by men closely related to the dead person (family members) and black tie is used by other men visiting the funeral (friends and others)

In Spain there is a protocol rule that says the presence of the King or the people in his family always accompanied the national anthem, the Marcha Real. It is for this reason that Infantas did not go to church the day of their marriage under the notes of the traditional wedding march, but with those of the Spanish national anthem.
Is there a similar tradition in Sweden?

I am having a little difficulty in picturing the different options. :confused:
Has anyone got any pictures to visualise it for me?

On the occasion of the Swedish wedding between Carl-Phillip and Sofia Hellqvist BB has compiled a booklet with 32 royal weddings, including basic facts for comparison.

You'll find it here: https://app.box.com/s/yykx34drgcm04qoniktqbuk48htmqym0
(The files are large so allow a couple of seconds to load).

Glossary:
Brud = Bride.
Brudgom = Bridegroom.
Kirke = Church.
Viet af = Married by.
Brudekjole = Bridal dress.
Slæb = train.
Slør = Veil.
Diadem = Tiara.
Brudebuket = Bridal bouquet.
Brudepiger = Bridesmaids.
Brudesvende = Pages.
Brudeterne = (Adult) bridesmaid in charge.
Forlover = Best man.
Bryllupsfest = Where the wedding party took place.
Øvrige fester = Additional parties.
Bryllupsrejse = Honeymoon.
Det husker vi = This we remember.

Google translate will handle the rest. ;)

Additional help:
Æ = ae.
Ø = oe.
Å = aa.

Last edited:
After the wedding of Princess Madeleine and Christopher O'Neill, a 21-gun salute was fired at five second intervals.
Madeleine and Christopher greeted the public outside the church.
They then travelled in a procession through Stockholm in a special horse-drawn carriage, the Parade Barouche.

Back
Top Bottom