The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-27-2017, 03:12 AM
Majesty

I prefer Westminster Abbey as a venue. It is way older than St Paul's Cathedral and "more English". The architecture of St Paul's could not have mismatched in any Italian city.

Old 03-27-2017, 03:26 AM
Heir Apparent

Harry is popular and a senior Royal. When Charles comes to the throne he will be a King's son and fourth in line. He'll be the King's only other son besides William, unlike the Queen who had four children. When William comes to the throne, until George produces a child Harry will be third in line.

There are several in this thread who would like hole in the corner sort of nuptials for Harry, no fuss of course because no, he's not important enough, and no TV coverage of the ceremony for the same reason. Won't be happening. The wedding will be televised, the Abbey or St George's the likely venue, and the crowds will come out.

Old 04-08-2017, 04:48 AM
Heir Presumptive

who on earth is looking for "hole and corner nuptials" for harry? yes of course he is the future Kings second son. Of course when he marries he'l be married in a reasonably big ceremony, probably at Westminster abbey. much the same as P Andrew was.
But he's nto as important as Charles or WIlliam.. that's a fact. He is extremely unlikely to get near the throne. Probably when Charles is king, George or Charlotte will be married during his reign and Harry will slide further down. he's not goig to be King and his marriage ceremony will reflect that lack of importance.
Anyway I thnk it is moot since I don't believe that Harry will marry for several more years. Maybe when h's 40...
Old 04-20-2017, 12:03 PM
Commoner

If Harry and Megan get engaged, could they even marry in a church? I thought the CoE didnt marry divorced people. That's why Charles and Camilla had to have a civil marriage right?
Old 04-20-2017, 12:37 PM
Majesty

Meghan apparently never had a Church sanctified wedding so her situation might be similar to that of Letizia Ortiz when she married Felipe of Spain.

Since Letizia had only a civil marriage which was never recognized as valid and binding by the Roman Catholic Church, she was able to marry Felipe.

Unless a clergyman or rabbi presided at Meghan's Jamaican wedding, the CoE might take the same view, but I am not sure.

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 04-20-2017, 02:38 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
Meghan apparently never had a Church sanctified wedding so her situation might be similar to that of Letizia Ortiz when she married Felipe of Spain.

Since Letizia had only a civil marriage which was never recognized as valid and binding by the Roman Catholic Church, she was able to marry Felipe.

Unless a clergyman or rabbi presided at Meghan's Jamaican wedding, the CoE might take the same view, but I am not sure.
Hm true...I'm not sure that's how it works in the Church of England though.
Old 04-20-2017, 02:45 PM
Heir Apparent

Church of England recognise civil marriage. Meghan is divorced in the eyes of the church
Old 04-20-2017, 03:33 PM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
Church of England recognise civil marriage. Meghan is divorced in the eyes of the church
So that means they can't get married at St George's Chapel or Westminster Abbey, I suppose.
Old 04-20-2017, 03:36 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anfisa View Post
So that means they can't get married at St George's Chapel or Westminster Abbey, I suppose.
It's up to individual ministers to sign off. They could still be married in a church
Old 04-20-2017, 03:52 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolph View Post
Thanks for the heads up Rudolph, I had no idea! Is this a change in policy or has it always been so?

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 04-20-2017, 04:07 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Isabella II and Francis, Duke of Cádiz were married at the Palacio Real in Madrid

Alfonso XII married his 1st wife Maria de la Mercedes d'Orléans at the Basilica of Atocha and following her death he married Maria Christina of Austria also at the Basilica of Atocha in Madrid.

Alfonso XIII and Victoria Eugenie of Battenberg were married at the Royal Monastery of San Jerónimo in Madrid.
Old 04-20-2017, 04:15 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
Thanks for the heads up Rudolph, I had no idea! Is this a change in policy or has it always been so?
My understanding is even Charles/Camilla could of married in the Church but they chose not to due to the situation. So it must not be a new policy.

LaRae
Old 04-20-2017, 04:22 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
who on earth is looking for "hole and corner nuptials" for harry? yes of course he is the future Kings second son. Of course when he marries he'l be married in a reasonably big ceremony, probably at Westminster abbey. much the same as P Andrew was.
But he's nto as important as Charles or WIlliam.. that's a fact. He is extremely unlikely to get near the throne. Probably when Charles is king, George or Charlotte will be married during his reign and Harry will slide further down. he's not goig to be King and his marriage ceremony will reflect that lack of importance.
Anyway I thnk it is moot since I don't believe that Harry will marry for several more years. Maybe when h's 40...
Questions of royal line of succession aside, I doubt any of Harry's close relatives feel he's "not as important as Charles or William."

In several more years, Harry will be 35 (and most likely married with at least one child).
Old 04-20-2017, 04:27 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Lets keep this thread on topic - Churches where royals got married is the title thread
Old 04-20-2017, 07:15 PM
Heir Apparent

Prince George of Hanover, later Elector and later still King George I of Great Britain, married in November 1682, Sophia, daughter of the Duke of Brunswick-Luneberg-Celle, at Celle Castle Chapel Germany, Celle Castle being her family's ancestral home. He was 21, she was 16.
The marriage was miserably unhappy and Sophia was kept imprisoned for over thirty years at the Castle of Ahlden in Hanover. The Renaissance Chapel where the couple were married looks very pretty, however.

http://www.celle.travel/celle-palace/palace-chapel.html
Old 04-20-2017, 07:52 PM
Aristocracy

One of the most romantic weddings of all time...

King Baudouin and Queen Fabiola of the Belgians
Cathedral of St. Michael and St. Gudula
Brussels, Belgium

Old 04-20-2017, 09:18 PM
Heir Apparent

It was indeed a magnifent and joyful ceremony. I read somewhere however that Princess Margaret and her husband being sent as representatives of the Queen to that wedding was a tit for tat thing because the Belgian royal family had been a bit snippy about Margaret marrying a photographer and a commoner.
Old 04-21-2017, 01:37 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
I prefer Westminster Abbey as a venue. It is way older than St Paul's Cathedral and "more English". The architecture of St Paul's could not have mismatched in any Italian city.
I agree with your comments about Westminster Abbey but, to my mind, it's dark and the rood screen separates the majority of the congregation from the High Altar where the marriage is taking place.

If I remember correctly, when Prince Edward and Sophie married they had the first part of the service in front of the rood screen at St George's Chapel and then went to the High Altar for the marriage itself.

St Paul's is much lighter and more inclusive. While I appreciate that, because of its size, those at the back probably have no better view than those at the back of the Abbey, at least there's no physical barrier between them and the bride and groom.
Old 04-21-2017, 02:20 AM
Majesty

The most beautiful wedding ever was the one of Doña Elena de Borbón y Grecia, Infanta de España with Don Jaime de Marichalar y Sáenz de Tejada, son of the Conde de Ripalda.

It took place in the magnificent Catedral de Santa María de la Sede, there was a processional ride in a carriage through festive Sevilla. Wonderful. Pictures.
Old 04-21-2017, 06:23 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
The most beautiful wedding ever was the one of Doña Elena de Borbón y Grecia, Infanta de España with Don Jaime de Marichalar y Sáenz de Tejada, son of the Conde de Ripalda.

It took place in the magnificent Catedral de Santa María de la Sede, there was a processional ride in a carriage through festive Sevilla. Wonderful. Pictures.
Yes that was a really magnificent setting ,the Cathedral was a splendid setting as was the ceremony.