Churches Where Royals Married

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I prefer more serene and sober churches I am afraid to say. This sort of church interiors is too tralala for my personal taste. This colourful abundance is typical for many Catholic churches in that region (Central Europe). But the bridal couole chose this and all pictures were magnificent and very pictural anyway.

Tsarevich Alexander Alexandrovich (Alexander III of Russia) wed Princess Dagmar of Denmark in the Grand Church of the Winter Palace in St. Petersburg, Russia on November 9, 1866.

St Mildred’s Church Whippingham on the Isle of Wight, where Queen Victoria worshipped when she was at Osborne, and where her youngest daughter Princess Beatrice married Prince Henry Battenburg in July 1885.

https://www.visitisleofwight.co.uk/things-to-do/queen-victorias-church-st-mildreds-p1069381

Anyone knows what whas the name of the Roman Catholic church in Tehran when Prince Victor Emmanuel and Marina Doria married?

I didn't find it here: https://www.angelfire.com/realm/gotha/gotha/italy.html nor in Wikipedia articles (even the Italian one).
The couple were married at the Cathedral of the Consolata in Tehran
https://royalwatcherblog.com/2021/10/07/wedding-of-the-prince-of-naples-1971/

King John II of France married Bonne of Bohemia on July 28, 1333 at the Church of Notre Dame in Melun, France.

Princess Mary Adelaide of Cambridge married Prince Francis of Teck at St. Anne's Church in Kew, England on June 12, 1866.

Princess Mary Adelaide of Cambridge married Prince Francis of Teck at St. Anne's Church in Kew, England on June 12, 1866.

Prince Adolphus, Duke of Cambridge and his wife Princess Augusta of Hesse-Kassel were originally buried at the east end of the church,in 1930 their remains were exhumed and reburied at St George's Chapel, Windsor Castle.

St. Anne's Church in Kew has other royal connections

The original church was built 1714 on land given by Queen Anne.
In 1770, King George III commissioned an extension.
King William IV also commissioned an extension in 1837.

St. Anne's Church in Kew is a really beautiful church
640px-Fred_Viner_watercolour_of_St_Anne%27s_Church%2C_Kew_Green.jpg

On January 23, 1878 at the Basilica of Atocha in Madrid, King Alfonso XII of Spain married Archduchess Maria Christina of Audtria.

On January 23, 1878 at the Basilica of Atocha in Madrid, King Alfonso XII of Spain married Archduchess Maria Christina of Audtria.

The church was ransacked and then burnt by anti clerical Republicans in July 1936 and was restored between 1946 and 1951.

The marriage of Constance of France (1078-1125), the daughter of King Philip I of France, and Bohemond I, Prince of Antioch occurred in the Cathedral of Chartres in France in 1106.

The marriage of Constance of France (1078-1125), the daughter of King Philip I of France, and Bohemond I, Prince of Antioch occurred in the Cathedral of Chartres in France in 1106.

A minature of the Wedding of Bohémond de Tarente and Constance de France.

Marriage.jpg

At the time of her wedding would Constance de France have been referred to as Princess Constance?

I don’t think the honorific Princess was used very much for daughters in the Middle Ages, was it, though it might have been I suppose if the female concerned was an only child and therefore an heiress?

Hundreds of years later Henry VIII’s daughters were just referred to, when they were in favour, as ‘the Lady Mary’ and ‘ the Lady Elizabeth’ as the wiki piece below points out.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Princess

Last edited:
Queen Mary, Henry VIII’s daughter married Philip of Spain, son of King Carlos V, Holy Roman Emperor and King of Spain, on 25th July 1554 at Winchester Cathedral. Philip was designated King of Naples, Jerusalem and Savoy before the wedding, to give him equal rank.

Winchester Cathedral, though an ancient and magnificent building, appears to me to be an odd sort of locale to choose to marry in, considering all the great historic churches in and around London.

Last edited:
I think there were several reasons mainly security due the recent Wyatt Rebellion in London and Mary wanted it to be held out of the capital incase there was a riot.
It was also summer and epidemics were rife, Mary was taking no chances.

Winchester was also the seat of one of Mary's most loyal supporters, Stephen Gardiner, Bishop of Winchester.
Bishop Gardiner presided over the Wedding Mass.

I see.All good reasons to avoid London of course. And the marriage was none too popular with the English population at the time, either. Thank you An Ard Ri.

I see.All good reasons to avoid London of course. And the marriage was none too popular with the English population at the time, either. Thank you An Ard Ri.

Winchester was also close to Southampton where Philip II landed and went to hear Mass at Holyrood Church in the city.

On June 18, 2011 Princess Nathalie of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg and Alexander Johannsmann married at the Protestant Stadkirche in Berleburg, Germany.

Prince Arthur, heir to the English throne and eldest child of King Henry VII and Queen Elizabeth, married twice by proxy Katherine of Aragon, daughter of Ferdinand and Isabella of Aragon and Castile. He was twelve on Whitsunday 1499 when the first proxy marriage occurred at Tickenhill House in the manor of Bewdley Worcs, * then again at the same locality in May 1501 at the age of 14, and finally at St Paul’s Cathedral in the November of that year. Arthur was then just 15.

https://thetudortravelguide.com/tickenhill-house/

* Bewdley continued to be a royal manor under the Tudors. The Council of the Marches met there for six months of the year under Prince Arthur, who resided during those times at his palace of Tickenhill, on a hill just to the west of and overlooking Bewdley town centre. Tickenhill palace is where Arthur had been married by proxy to Catherine of Aragon in 1499. After his death in 1502 his body lay at Bewdley for one night on its journey from Ludlow to Worcester where he was buried.

Last edited:
An engraving of Old ST Paul's Cathedral and what it looked like before the lightning strike that destroyed the spire in 1561.
The medieval cathedral was ransacked in 1549 by radical Protestants who smashed and destroyed statues,stained glass and images .There were repairs done under Queen Mary but the cathedral was again 'cleansed' in 1560.

389px-Copperplate_map_St_Pauls.jpg

Yes I believe from what I’ve read St Paul’s was a bit of a work in progress through much of its existence and, even before the mishap with the spire, repairs kept tradesmen busy. By the time it was completely destroyed I think it was getting quite decrepit.

But what history between its walls during its existence! If only a little portion of the original had survived. Of course, it probably wouldn’t have fitted in at all with Wren’s concept.
All the same, the Cathedral and the Painted Chamber at the old Palace of Westminster are two dreadful losses to English history in my eyes, and both obliterated by fire.

Old St Paul's was in a terrible state when Queen Mary came to the throne and the queen ordered repairs.
The collapse of the Spire in 1561 was seen by English Catholics as proof of God’s displeasure at the Elizabethan church.
Then came the English Civil war and the cathedral was again badly damaged by Parliamentarian troops,they used the nave as a stable for Roundhead cavalry horses.

Yes, a disgraceful state of affairs, whatever your religious views.
The history of the old St Paul’s had always fascinated me though I admire Wren’s masterpiece, the design of which was greatly criticised at the time. I just wish something of the old Cathedral had been preserved.

Last edited:
Yes, a disgraceful state of affairs, whatever your religious views.
The history of the old St Paul’s had always fascinated me though I admire Wren’s masterpiece, the design of which was greatly criticised at the time. I just wish something of the old Cathedral had been preserved.

All that remains of old St Paul's are some fragments of masonry and damaged tombs ,I wish they had reconstructed some of the tombs in the new St Paul's rather than leaving them in a storage room.
https://www.explore-stpauls.net/oct03/textMM/OldStPaulN.htm

Back
Top Bottom