The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 08-14-2016, 04:51 PM
Serene Highness

I dont know of any engagements that have been broken-off, in British history.. I think that the CP of Sweden was engaged to someone (or was it Pss Madeline?) and she broke it off. But I could not imagine that happening with a royal in the UK, because usually the weddings are such a big deal...
I think that there was no way they would have allowed C and Di to break things off...
The attitude was that once they got engaged, the wedding plans had started off and they were working towards holding the wedding on such a date and that was it.. If they hadn't been sure, they should not have said they were getting engaged.
But NOW I just wonder if the RF/Queen would take a more lenient view if one of the younger royals like Harry or Will had said during the engaged period that they weren't sure. Perhaps they would feel it was better to lose the work and costs on preparations that had been going on, than to end up with another failed marriage.
Stll it has been rumoured that the queen has advised young royals who were in love to spend at least 4 or 5 years with their SO's and make sure they knew them well before making marriage plans.

Old 08-14-2016, 04:56 PM
Heir Apparent

It was Madeleine that was engaged and then broke it off. I don't think that the date was announced already when it occurred. William would have been crucified if he broke it off post announcement after 8 years together.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Old 08-14-2016, 05:00 PM
Serene Highness

Im not talking about public reaction.. Im talking about whether the RF/Queen woudl allow it? And I dont see that Will would be "crucified". I would say the public would take the common sense view that it was better to break an engagement than make a bad marriage.
Old 08-14-2016, 05:28 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
Im not talking about public reaction.. Im talking about whether the RF/Queen woudl allow it? And I dont see that Will would be "crucified". I would say the public would take the common sense view that it was better to break an engagement than make a bad marriage.
HM, The Queen may be the sovereign of the UK and the Commonwealth and the matriarch of the British Royal Family, but I don't think she'd ever think to "forbid" the breaking of an engagement. The last thing I'd ever attribute to the makeup of the Queen's character is that of a puppet master or playing chess with the family on a chessboard.

Personally, I'm tending to believe that the criticism and condemnation of a royal broken engagement would be far worse with the media and the public.
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 08-14-2016, 05:32 PM
Serene Highness

I think the Queen would allow it if she knew the couple had tried hard to get it together and couldn't. Princess Madeleine of Sweden broke of her engagement in part because it was revelaed her fiancé had cheated on her if I recall correctly. I'm sure in those cicunstances the Queen would not object the wedding being called off. It would also depend how far along to the wedding it was, again using Princess Madeleine as an example, i think a vague time e.g this summer, but no actual date, had been given, if the same were true in the BRF it wiuld b me big news but probably no big deal in reality.

I guess we have to remember the Queen is Head of State but also mother, grandmother and great grandmother and would rather deal with a last minute wedding cancellation than a broken marriage. Also remember Diana said she wanted to call her wedding off last minute but felt she couldn't....
Old 08-14-2016, 05:37 PM
Super Moderator

Whatever the Queen's view of the matter, we would never know. However, I don't think the Queen or anyone else would have much of a choice in the matter if the engaged couple decided not to proceed with the marriage.

Apart from anything else, I'm quite sure many protocols would be broken with either the bride or groom (or indeed both of them) were dragged kicking and screaming up the aisle again their will.
Old 08-14-2016, 05:41 PM
Imperial Majesty

Following the disaster of forces Diana and Charles to go through with the marriage both had doubts about in the weeks prior to the wedding I have no doubts that if a similar situation arose they would allow it to be cancelled or delayed. That is better than having another PR nightmare.
Old 08-15-2016, 02:02 AM
Serene Highness

That's my point. I beleive that if Charles or Diana had approached the RF in 1981 and said that they wanted to break off teh engagement, there woudl have been a LOT of talk and pressure put on them, reminding them that they were engaged, that the engagement was short because they had made the commitment and that once it was announced the wedding plans had started to be activated, and they simply could not pull out. I would say that charles certainly would have given way in the face of such pressure.. Now, knowing that senior royals CAN divorce (back then it was thought that it would simply not happen), I'd say the queen would not be happy but would agree to ending the engagment
Old 08-15-2016, 02:05 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
HM, The Queen may be the sovereign of the UK and the Commonwealth and the matriarch of the British Royal Family, but I don't think she'd ever think to "forbid" the breaking of an engagement. The last thing I'd ever attribute to the makeup of the Queen's character is that of a puppet master or playing chess with the family on a chessboard.

Personally, I'm tending to believe that the criticism and condemnation of a royal broken engagement would be far worse with the media and the public.
I dont think so, I think the press would enjoy the sotry, and woudl point out any problems that they had seen in the couple, but in general public reaction post C and Diana would be that it was better to break off an engagement than have a nasty divorce.
perhaps the queen isn't "enough" of a "chess player" in that I dont think she's taken much notice of her family's marital affairs, until she absolutely HAD to.. But I do beleieve, if back in the time of C and Di's engagement, she had been confronted with them saying they did' not now want to get married, she would have felt she had to say "No, you can't break this off."
Old 10-18-2016, 11:40 PM
Heir Presumptive

On New Year's Day, 1867, King Ludwig II of Bavaria's engagement to Princess Sophie Charlotte was announced. She was a sister of Empress Elisabeth of Austria.
The royal wedding was arranged to take place on Ludwig's 22nd birthday, August 25. An official announcement early in the summer postponed the wedding until October 12. However, Ludwig II broke off the engagement a week before the wedding.
Old 10-19-2016, 02:35 AM
Heir Apparent

From private letters, we know Ludwig was a closet homosexual who struggled with what he was and bring Catholic. It had also become punishable with the unification of Germany, though it hadn't been in Bavaria in decades. Ludwig and Sophia had bonded over a shared love of music. He would never marry, and unfortunately questionable at best claims he was insane were later made.

Sophie had another reported gay suitor. She eventually married the duke of alencon and it us said they had a happy marriage. Though she didn't get along with her father in law, she did with her sister in law.
Old 10-19-2016, 05:11 AM
Heir Apparent

Princess Charlotte von Hannover, The Princess of Wales (1796-1817), the only child of King George IV was engaged to the Prince of Orange (later King Willem II of the Netherlands, Grand-Duke of Luxembourg).

From December 1813 until May 1814 Princess Charlotte and Prince Willem were engaged but this engagement was -completely out of the blue- broken by the Princess. On May 2nd 1816 Princess Charlotte married Prince Leopold von Sachsen-Coburg und Gotha (later King Leopold I of the Belgians).

The Prince of Orange found another partner befitting his status: Anna Paulovna Romanova, Grand-Duchess of Russia, daughter of Tsar Paul I of Russia and sister of Tsar Alexander I (the great Nemesis of Napoleon) and of Tsar Nicolas I. Willem and Anna married on February 21nd 1816.
Old 10-19-2016, 12:13 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by eya View Post
Also the Prince Gustav of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg with Elvire Paste de Rochefort. I don't know the reason.
i read that 2 families didn't agree on money settlement...Paste de Rochefort family was not happy with what Elvire would get in case of divorce and asked for "big money" in case of divorce.

Needless to say that the family is already rich enough.

Elvire Paste de Rochefort is second cousin of Princess Sibilla of Luxembourg and I think godmother of her son, Prince Leopold.
Old 10-19-2016, 12:16 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee-Z View Post
I read somewhere that Q.Margrethe's father Frederik was engaged to Princess Olga of Greece, but this engagement was broken off...anyone know if that is true?
Yes, he broke off the engagement because she "left him cold" and she was much relieved because he was "very much prone to alcohol".
Old 10-19-2016, 12:27 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olyashka View Post
There's another from a long time ago - the first Grand Duchess named Alexandra, Alexandra Pavlovna (granddaughter of Catherine the Great). She was about to marry a Prince of Sweden, but the prince didn't arrive at the church (IIRC). The grand duchess was so shamed, needless to say, and few months after, she died not because of a broken heart but with a broken heart from that event.
Oughhh, the scheduled wedding with Prince of Sweden was in 1796 and Alexandra died 5 years later(not few months after) in 1801 as Archduchess of Austria-Hungary.

It was Empress Catherine the Great who died few months after this intended wedding.
Old 10-22-2016, 10:00 PM
Heir Presumptive

I love these stories! Why is that? It's the reverse of being a romantic, it seems to me (though I am definitely a romantic - wouldn't be on this site otherwise ) Must be we have all had our hearts broken, if only it was in Kindergarten.
Old 10-23-2016, 12:59 PM
Heir Apparent

This news will break your heart again . The cancelled Engagement of King Ludwig II of Bayern wirg Princess Sophie of Baviera, Empress Sissi's Sister !
Old 10-23-2016, 01:27 PM
Heir Apparent

Cyril already mentioned Ludwig a few posts up the page, post 70. Worked out at least for her, as her future marriage was said to have been quite happy.

Tags
engagement, royal weddings