Best Royal Brides & Wedding Dresses

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:previous::previous: Agree with you Eya... The dress was pretty but average and looked like a nightgown!:flowers:

Beatrice and Charlene my own favourites.

I don't have a favorite royal wedding gown of 2015. Beatrice's gown was lovely but not memorable. Her reception gown was outstanding however.

Beatrice had 5 wedding dresses. IMO, she had a few misses, but mainly a few major stunners. Her two hippy ones (the purple one and the white lacey one were misses) but her gown with veil and the reception dresses were major hits for me.

Beatrice Borromeo's epic wedding dresses , all the latest styles | Fashion

Not surprised people like Lady Sarah and Claire did not make the list. They aren't very well known to common royal watchers and that was an American paper. Mabel's bows likely got her notice.

I know people seem to love Diana's but sorry No. It may have been iconic in the 80's but you will always know what decade she married. The cupcake look was short lived for a reason.

1. Victoria
2. MM (I find Sarah Chatto and even Cristina's to be similar, but I like the overall look of MM's better, Sarah Chatto comes close)
3. Charlene
4. Beatrice (wedding and reception)
5. HGD Stephanie of Lux
6. Queen Sofia
7. Princess Madeleine

:previous: I agree, Victoria and MM's gowns were stunning in their simplicity.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think The Duchess of Kent's wedding gown was gorgeous. I also loved her daughters. Lady Susan Chatto's was lovely.

Several off topic posts regarding titles have been deleted and please note that this thread is not the place to discuss titles

Last edited:
My favorite of all time is Stephanie of Luxembourg. Classic and timeless.

Here's an interesting article about Kate's dress...

https://www.yahoo.com/style/kate-mi...used-of-copyright-infringement-122537475.html

This was also in the Sunday Telegraph last weekend and they had a picture of the design that Christine Kendall submitted, which looked very similar to the actual wedding dress.

http://img.thesun.co.uk/aidemitlum/archive/02818/122027207obj-JS180_2818842a.jpg

My favorites are:

1. Grace of Monaco (I think if I marry someday, probably I will wear a dress like her's)
2. Princess Madeleine of Sweden
3. Queen Margrethe II of Denmark
4. Princess Margaret of UK
5. Princess Amelia of Brazil (take a look!)
6. Jane Scott, Duchess of Buccleuch

Worst:

1. Queen Silvia of Sweden
2. Elisabetta (lili) Rosboch
3. Sarah Chatto

Favourite royal wedding dress

Just wondered which dress you liked best.

I think I will plump for Princess Elizabeth (now Elizabeth II) from 1947. It was just timeless and classic, but beautiful too.

I loved Princess Diana's dress. Nothing is ever going to come close nowadays as fashion is just not so OTT as it was in the 1980s. I confess to having a Princess Diana bride doll.

My own wedding dress was a medieval style, out of interest. And my favourite all-time screen bridal outfit is the dress and bolero combination worn by Emily when she married Ross on 'Friends' lol. (It was a funny coincidence that you had a British girl marrying an American guy in London in 1998, and that's what my husband and I were too!)

Wedding dress

I've been looking at pictures of royal weddings, and I really think my new favourite is Beatrice Borromeo. The long-sleeved one overlaid with lace. Stunning.

I hate really fussy dresses. The simpler the better IMO. Only exception for me was Stephanie de Lannoy's beautiful lace gown. So for me.

1. Beatrice Borromeo: to be specific this one as she had a few
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/fc/0e/23/fc0e233ce5df32f90f1106993d0bb1a8.jpg

5 Mette Marit, loved her veil especially. Only hated her bouquet
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-seA1jsmRhAU/UHi-vAtSuGI/AAAAAAAAM84/nbpMMV3bARU/s1600/_BestMMFront2.jpg

These two dresses are amazing in my view, especially Beatrice Borromeo's (though that may be a function of a very good photograph). :flowers: Mette Marit's has always impressed me.

Princess Victoria in my mind had the most elegant gown ever, she looked outstanding that day. Clean lines, perfect style and pure heaven in that gown. Nothing IMO has come even close to it.

I don't know where to put this, but I was looking at a TV thing tonight which covered Pr Margaret's wedding to Antony A JOnes.. and the tiara just looked way too big. Which tiara is it, does anyone know? does anyone think that it looked out of place at a wedding.. or at least on Margaret? and her veil had a sort of border on it, I just did not like the whole ensemble...

Princess Victoria in my mind had the most elegant gown ever, she looked outstanding that day. Clean lines, perfect style and pure heaven in that gown. Nothing IMO has come even close to it.

For me, CP Victoria was one of the most boring brides ever. Her gown was much too simple for me and the lack of sleeves was a disappointment. And I have never liked the Cameo Tiara, a monstrosity.

I don't know where to put this, but I was looking at a TV thing tonight which covered Pr Margaret's wedding to Antony A JOnes.. and the tiara just looked way too big. Which tiara is it, does anyone know? does anyone think that it looked out of place at a wedding.. or at least on Margaret? and her veil had a sort of border on it, I just did not like the whole ensemble...

That was the Poltimore Tiara:
The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Readers' Top 15 Tiaras: #7. The Poltimore Tiara.
Her veil had a visible hem indeed. I have never been very fond of Princess Margaret as a bride. Not ugly, but not knock-the-ball-out-of-the-park either. Rather simple actually and she looked sad. I have read that she deliberately wore a simple gown - due to the Peter Townsend fiasco. Not sure how accurate that is, though.

For me, CP Victoria was one of the most boring brides ever. Her gown was much too simple for me and the lack of sleeves was a disappointment. And I have never liked the Cameo Tiara, a monstrosity.

I agree.
I didn't like it at all.
The gown looked like something a nun to wear to take her vows...and the tiara was clunky.

(But I have to admit it did suit Victoria, she looked very happy).

I loved Victoria's gown, I found it simple but strikingly elegant. What I did not like at all and have never liked is the way the Cameo tiara sits atop the bride's head with that lovely lace veil sort of pinned clumsily to the back.

Everything about Victoria on her wedding day...her makeup, her hair, her gown, her transcendent joy...was perfect except for her veil and tiara!(IMHO):bang:

I really do like Victoria's dress....the way she did the tiara (not my favorite one either) and the veil reminds me of the middle ages type of positing/styling. Almost a snood effect.

LaRae

I respect everyone's opinion but I loved Victoria's position of her veil. I love when brides hang their veils like Victoria and Mette Marit. On another note, the only thing I did not like about Victoria's wedding look was her shoes.

Last edited:
Reactions: KMD
Stephanie of Luxembourg wore the most beautiful Royal wedding gown I have ever seen. She is my #1 choice for October brides, followed by Cristina of Spain and Aimee of the Netherlands.

She's my number one choice for royal wedding gowns EVER. Elie Saab can do absolutely no wrong.

I thought Claire's was gorgeous too - but it still paled next to Stephanie's.

I like your list.

I know a lot of people liked the Duchess of Cambridge's gown - but when she got out of the car I thought - I've seen that gown over and over again. Monique Lhuillier had done a line with a very similar gown to that one for years - so did Alvina Valenta, Christos, Jim Hjelm, Lazaro - every designer had done a version of that dress in the years leading up to the DoC wearing it. And that's because they were inspired by Grace Kelly's gown. The DoC's gown was pretty in its own way but it wasn't unique and honestly most brides could easily run out to any bridal salon in the country and find a version close to what she wore the same day she wore it. That's why it's just not on my list of fave gowns.

The gown I have been obsessed with is HGD Stephanie. I swooned when I saw it and knew even before they said Elie Saab designed it that he had to be the designer - because I just KNOW his touch.

Back
Top Bottom