Best Royal Brides & Wedding Dresses

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It is about best royal brides, in my view this means how a royal bride looks during a royal wedding. The picture of Princess Nejla above was not the wedding but the wedding party. The wedding itself has not taken place yet, so was my understanding.

I am kind of disappointed that I do not a favorite royal wedding gown this year. I hope I will in 2015. Here are my opinions on the royal wedding gowns this year:

I absolutely love the white coat of Tatiana Santo Domino's gown but from what I can see from the sketch, I do not like the dress. The design looks too much. Princess Maria Theresia of Thurn and Taxis's wedding gown was interesting but awful.

I absolutely love Princess Noriko's modern traditional court dress. It's so stunning and classic. Elisabetta's gown was lovely but forgettable to me.

Last edited:
I agree with you about Tatiana Santo Domingo. She was a spectacular winter bride and her hair, makeup and tiara were flawless.

But the cape of her outfit was what "made" the look for me. Of course I can't know for sure because I've seen no clear photo Tatiana wearing her dress but based simply on the sketch it's not going on my Top Brides list.

Same for Lili von Wolkenstein. Pretty dress, pretty bride...but not a memorable one.

My list -

Princess Claire of Luxembourg

Princess Mette Marit of Norway - I'm not sure anyone else would've carried that off. She looked ethereal.
Princess Madeleine of Sweden - though I didn't like the ruffles at the bottom, the rest was beautiful. And Madeleine glowed which just made her look doubly pretty.

Princess Grace of Monaco

Princess Diana of the UK - I'm sure this raises eyebrows. It hasn't dated well and I wouldn't wear this dress. It was poufy, crumpled, etc.. But when Diana stepped out of the carriage, we were all enamoured (though I wasn't born then and only watched it in the 90's). She defined Princess in that dress.

Queen Anne Marie of Greece

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Re-reading the title of the thread I guess I need to re-evaluate the best Royal Bride and her Wedding Dress. So that means tiaras, veils, etc. don't count and I examine each bride and her gown which has to stand on it's own merit.

Elizabeth's gown was fabulous with it's embroidery, but the basic style of the gown seemed very much her style at that time, so yes great gown but not a personal favourite.

Margrethe, Silvia and Maxima all wore severely simple gowns and I am not sure when Margrethe's flair and artistry manifested but am betting it was before she married, so nice . . . but apart from her daisy brooch where was she?

Silvia went simple I think to carry the historic Cameo tiara and heritage veil, so okay . . . but definitely not her personal style of gown, which was illustrated pretty well within the first months of her marriage.

Maxima also played down her amazing flare and pizzaz and I am guessing the dress was the canvas upon which her veil was displayed, so great . . . but where was our wonderful, colourful, flamboyant Maxima.

Mary? I couldn't figure what was what there, but the gown was very plain in and of itself and hinted at her personal style to come, so okay.

Letizia, oh dear, what happened? A week before the marriage we saw the future 'Princess Letizia' stride out with confidence in a flaming red gown with jewelled clips and we all went Wow! From head to toe, Wow! The following week a little head peeked out of an oversized nuns habit. So, big, huge failure of style to person. Whoever that gown was designed for had nothing in common with Letizia! The only thing that matched her stlye was the groom!

Mette-Marit's was a problem for me because while I liked the gown, I didn't think it suited Mette-Marit's style. But then I realised that it was her style now not them. So, big, huge rewind and re-examine a gown that was a masterpeice, restrained but pure magic in it's movement. Pure romance too so utterly perfect for her style at that time. Therefore my runner up.

Victoria, like others went restrained and when you know you are going to be wearing the Cameo tiara and heritage veil there is no room for frills. But then again that is Victoria. Plain clean lines, no nonsense and practical. But nobody said she had to be boring! The slightly off shoulder turnover neckline was gorgeous, it's tiny sleeves and the deep V at the back with all those little covered buttons was pure Victoria. The wide waisteband showcased her regal carriage, emphasised her waist while giving a balanced look to a gown that flared out while providing an anchor for her train which was also a canvas for her veil. So for me the gown was Victoria, plain and simple. But also stunningly beautiful in it's simplicity. As such it is my favourite royal bride in a wedding dress. Just add the Cameo and veil and we saw a future Queen.

Last edited:
[....]
Maxima also played down her amazing flare and pizzaz and I am guessing the dress was the canvas upon which her veil was displayed, so great . . . but where was our wonderful, colourful, flamboyant Maxima. [....]

The wonderful and flamboyant Máxima for sure was visible during moments of the wedding but maybe you forgot she was not only under the heavy pressure every bride experiences, royal brides even more; she was also under extra pressure because of all the protests which surrounded the wedding and resulted in the absence of her parents. The famous tears under the melancholic tones of Adiós Nonino, which means: farewell my (grand)papa, a tango by Ástor Piazzolla were genuine. With these tears the new Princess of Orange finally conquered the little sceptical remnants of the nation and her exuberance after the ceremony did the rest...

:flowers:

:previous: There is no disrespect stated or implied.

Maxima's tears, while both tender and sorrowful at her wedding, and at the politics around it not least for the lack or her parents. She was beautiful as all brides are beautiful.

Taking it a step further, she was more than appropriately dressed for a royal bride. Her veil being breathtaking and her tiara amazing.

But, I think I was clear about the parameters of the area of discussion, namely best royal brides and their wedding dresses. And that is what I was talking about.

Did that particular royal bride match that particular gown?

I revised my list of personal all time favorite royal wedding gowns:

11. Queen Maxima
10. Princess Carolina of Bourbon Parma
9. Queen Anne Marie
8. Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge
7. Crown Princess Victoria
6. Queen Sofia of Spain
5. Princess Margaret
4. Crown Princess Mette Marit
3. Princess Grace
2. HGD Stephanie
1. Infanta Cristina

My Top Ten has remained pretty consistent for the past few years:

1. Princess Grace of Monaco
  2. Stephanie of Luxembourg/Maxima of the Netherlands(tied)
  3. Charlene of Monaco
  4. Fabiola of Belgium
  5. Princess Margaret, Countess of Snowden
  6. Infanta Cristina of Spain
  7. Princess Madeleine of Sweden
  8. Princess Victoria of Sweden
  9. CP Mette-Marit
  10. Catherine Duchess of Cambridge

****I did not really care for Madeleine's dress at all. But she was such an overall gorgeous bride I could not leave her off the list. She was one of the most beautiful brides I have ever seen. And even though I was not originally all that impressed with Kate's gown, it has started growing on me**;)

My Top Three:
1) Lady Diana Spencer
2) Lady Sarah Armstrong-Jones
3) Princess Marina of Greece and Denmark

Worst Ever:
- Kate Middleton -

Last edited:
Odd...much as I am in love with Princess Grace's bridal gown, I didn't much care for her civil ceremony outfit. I didn't hate it, but I didn't love it either.

BEST CIVIL WEDDING OUTFITS

1)Princess Caroline (1978)

2)Camilla Duchess of Cornwall

3)HGD Stephanie of Luxembourg

4)Princess Claire of Luxembourg

5)Princess Aimee of the Netherlands

Here are some coat wedding dresses worn by royal brides:

Queen Mathilde
Camilla
Sophie
Princess Annette
Princess Martha Louise
Queen Rania
Archduchess Francesca
Archduchess Marie-Christine of Austria
Archduchess Catharina von Österreich
Archduchess Adélaïde of Austria

I only like Mathilde, Francesca and Camilla's dresses. Sophie's gown was boring and shapeless. I love the style but not the fabric of Annette's gown. I would have loved Marie Christine and Catharina's gowns if not for the fur cuffs. I thought Adélaïde, Rania, and Martha's gowns were awful.

Last edited:
The only one of the above coat-dresses that I kind of like is Marie-Christine's and Camilla's. Agree that Sophie Wessex's was particularly unflattering.

In general I dislike coat wedding dresses.

Last edited:
My favorite is the wedding dress of Crown Princess Mathilde of Belgium!

If Sofia's gown looked anything like Catherine's, I'll eat my hat! :bang:

Don't media ever get tired of trying to make every wedding gown a knock-off of either Grace or Catherine who, incidentally, was also accused of wearing a dress like Grace.

Don't they think that people wore wedding dresses before Grace?

:previous:I agree. If I ever saw any similarities in the two gowns I don't anymore. I think Sofia was an overall more successful bride(hair, makeup, tiara)but I now think Kate's dress itself was the more beautifully executed one. The quality and workmanship was superior to Sofia's..there's just no denying it.

Fortunately none of the sketches of those "iconic" wedding dresses do any of them true justice.

Last edited:
:previous:I so agree with you! Madeleine's reception dress was right out of a story book. In fact I liked it better than her wedding gown! It actually belonged to her mother Queen Sylvia, which shocked me. It's a gorgeous, timeless dress.

I also loved Charlene's reception gown.

I wasn't impressed with Kate's at all, I was surprised at how cheap it looked compared to her bridal gown.

I didn't mind Rania's...it looks like she just removed the bolero jacket from her wedding dress.

Sofia's looked like it had potential, but I need to see the whole thing.

Last edited:
Actually, I like more the reception gown of Kate than her wedding dress, which IMO was one of moste obvious and disapointing wedding gowns ever...

I'm surprised Margaret, Anne Marie, Lady Sarah Chatto, and Claire of Belgium's gowns were not featured.

I wish that some of these gowns were featured as well. Margaret's was a standout IMO along with Sarah Chatto and Princess Claire's. Would have loved to have seen Infanta Cristina's, Katherine Kent's, Princess Aimee's gowns too.

Beatrice's purple civil wedding dress is now at number 3 on my list of favorite royal civil wedding dresses.

I think Beatrice's civil ceremony gown was lavender/pink with gold highlights and it was indeed very lovely. She is on my "Best Civil" list too!;)

The dress of Beatrice to the civil wedding is very disappointed to me. It is not at all to my best list.:ermm:

Back
Top Bottom