Best Royal Brides & Wedding Dresses

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I didn't exactly HATE Mabel's gown...the cut and design were both excellent.

I just got a little dizzy looking at all those bows!

The bridal gown of Princess Mabel has been on exposition for a while. Everyone agreed that it was a dared design and a masterpiece when it comes to technique, cut and tailoring. Hundreds and hundreds of hours have been invested by the coupeuses and modinettes working for Victor & Rolf to create this dress with 248 bows.

The result on the bride itself will always be debatable. Maybe it was better to be used as a proof of mastership but not as a real wedding gown.

Picture: http://knorrie.web-log.nl/photos/uncategorized/2009/01/07/bruidsjurk_mabel_2.jpg

Picture of Princess Mabel: http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/4645/dwf15688049go6.jpg

Walking down the aisle: http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/7249/dwf15688064xu8.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for those beautiful photos Tsarevitch.

Maybe it will be like Diana's gown...when I first saw it I hated it soo much and was so disappointed. It looked like a big crumpled mess.

But as the years have gone by I have come to understand what the designers were trying for, and I like and appreciate Diana's gown more. It's really quite beautiful, if only Diana had filled it out more and a different material had been used it would have been perfect.

Maybe the same will happen with Mabel's gown...I will like it better in about 20 years!:lol:

Last edited:
The Amazing Train.....

I go for simple and plain looking gowns which -by detail, by the choice of material, by the use of jewels- reveal that there comes a royal bride. Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden and Princess Máxima of the Netherlands had simple-lined plain looking gowns but the details told all.

In Princess Máxima's gown (by Valentino) this became clear by the use of the heaviest possible ivory-coloured Mikado silk which caused that no any wrinkle could be seen despite transport, sitting, kneeling, walking and moving. The Princess had panels inside the skirt (the starting point for the train) which were embroidered with lace, only partly visible when seated or walking. The 'austerity' of Princess Máxima's gown was richly compensated with the immense handwoven and hand-embroidered silk tulle veil.

Crown Princess Victoria had a similar outlook: a simple and maybe 'austere' gown but beautifully counterbalanced with that truly royal camée coronet and the regal looking veil. The Swedish Crown Princess showed more flesh and had a more feminine look. At the other hand: no one expected that 02-02-2002 would turn out in such a sunny day. That date is typically a cold, dark and wet February day in Amsterdam.

The gowns of the late Princess of Wales, Crown Princess Mary of Denmark, the Princess of Asturias and Crown Princess Mette-Marit of Norway were without any doubt beautiful but missed that feel of a royal gown. But of course, taste is always in the eye of the beholder.

:flowers:

The amazing train:

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_qA6ZGJEX8oM/S2Sm1kOACLI/AAAAAAAAPE4/euQbevBq28s/HOLLAND WEDDİNG7.jpg

Thank you Tsarevitch, for the link to Maxima's Gorgeous Train. It's just so beautiful and I also love the Divine Veil. I think that Princess Maxima's veil is one of the most beautiful.:)
Regards,:flowers:
Angelique.:angel:

My favourite dresses :)

1.Grace Kelly

2.Soraya

3.Queen Rania

Not the best :sad:
1. Letizia

2. Mabel

3. Diana

Attachments

• wedding--a.jpg
    wedding--a.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 287
  • Shah_Reza_with_Shahbanu_Soraya,_1951.jpg
    Shah_Reza_with_Shahbanu_Soraya,_1951.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 317
  • grace_kelly_prince_r_wedding.jpg
    grace_kelly_prince_r_wedding.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 318
Last edited:
My favorites are:

1. The Princess Royal

2. Princess Margaret

3. Princess Mabel

4. CP Victoria

5. Duchess of York

6. and, hopefully, Charlene of Monaco

After Fabiola's gown there is nothing. Grace was quite spectacular but in the actual construction of the gown Fabiola in Balenciaga wins for timelessness and haute couture.Fabiola had the figure to wear that masterpiece.

Queen Fabiola was before my time, but when I first saw her gown in full effect it took my breath away.

Shimmering white satin,dropped waist lined with ermine, and then a 20 foot train also lined with ermine(I think she held the record for longest train before Lady Diana came along in 1981 and topped it!)

Then the luminous full floor length veil under the Diadem of the Nine Provinces to complete the look. Balenciaga simply outdid himself!

Even though it is now slightly yellowed(it is on view at the Balenciaga Museum in Madrid) it is still as regal as ever fifty years on...the ultimate, majestic Royal winter wedding gown imo.

Queen Fabiola

Queen Fabiola was before my time, but when I first saw her gown in full effect it took my breath away.

Shimmering white satin,dropped waist lined with ermine, and then a 20 foot train also lined with ermine(I think she held the record for longest train before Lady Diana came along in 1981 and topped it!)

Then the luminous full floor length veil under the Diadem of the Nine Provinces to complete the look. Balenciaga simply outdid himself!

Even though it is now slightly yellowed(it is on view at the Balenciaga Museum in Madrid) it is still as regal as ever fifty years on...the ultimate, majestic Royal winter wedding gown imo.

Dear Moonmaiden,
I could not agree more. I am of "adult" age, hence I remember seeing the wedding on TV and the photo's in the magazines. Like you, it took my breath away too. It is simply stunning and So very Majestic and yet feminine and elegant. Thanks for reminding us.
Do you have the link to the Museum in Madrid by any chance?

Hi Angelique, no I do not have the link to the Balenciaga Museum...but if you go into the "Baudouin and Fabiola Wedding" thread there is a photo of the gown in the Museum as it appears today...it is no longer pure white, it's yellowed.

But still very beautiful. :)

Dear Moonmaiden,

I could not agree more. I am of "adult" age, hence I remember seeing the wedding on TV and the photo's in the magazines. Like you, it took my breath away too. It is simply stunning and So very Majestic and yet feminine and elegant. Thanks for reminding us.
Do you have the link to the Museum in Madrid by any chance?

How old do you have to be to be an adult? I will be thirty in just over a month, and I am too young to remember Princess Diana's wedding as I was a baby when it happened. I haven't been called a teen in a long time.

Favourite:

1. CP Mary of Denmark; (my absolute favourite)
2. Princess Lalla Salma; (her tiara and look was A.M.A.Z.I.NG)
3. Princess Noor Hamzah of Jordan; (love the tradicional feel to it)
4. Queen Anne-Marie of Hellenes; (so cute and sweet, she was lovely)
5. CP Masako of Japan. (diferent and modern. and a grogeous tiara)

Worst:

1. Princess Mabel of The Netherlands; (what the hell with so many BOWS? ugh)
2. Infanta Elena of Spain; (the look...she looked like my grandma)
3. Ex-princess Alexandra of Denmark. (so old-fashionated and dated style)

(now im waiting to see Kate's and Charlene's dresses. i dont expect anything amazing from Kate [i hope she can surprise me], and from Charlene, im expecting something grogeous and modern [hope she doesnt disappoint]. lets hopt they can make my list of the my favourites)

Last edited:
I like CP Victoria, Princess Anne's and CP Mary's. Like the less frilly and straighter lines

Favourite:

1. CP Mary of Denmark; (my absolute favourite)
2. Princess Lalla Salma; (her tiara and look was A.M.A.Z.I.NG)
3. Princess Noor Hamzah of Jordan; (love the tradicional feel to it)
4. Queen Anne-Marie of Hellenes; (so cute and sweet, she was lovely)
5. CP Masako of Japan. (diferent and modern. and a grogeous tiara)

Worst:

1. Princess Mabel of The Netherlands; (what the hell with so many BOWS? ugh)
2. Infanta Elena of Spain; (the look...she looked like my grandma)
3. Ex-princess Alexandra of Denmark. (so old-fashionated and dated style)

(now im waiting to see Kate's and Charlene's dresses. i dont expect anything amazing from Kate [i hope she can surprise me], and from Charlene, im expecting something grogeous and modern [hope she doesnt disappoint]. lets hopt they can make my list of the my favourites)

I am the same...I expect Kate to look beautiful but not necessarily knock my socks off...but for some reason I DO expect Charlene to blow me away with her Armani gown and if she does not, I will be surprised and disappointed.:sad:

I am the same...I expect Kate to look beautiful but not necessarily knock my socks off...but for some reason I DO expect Charlene to blow me away with her Armani gown and if she does not, I will be surprised and disappointed.:sad:

Do we know if armani is doing Charlene's for sure? If they are, yes I will be disappointed if she doesn't blow us away. Kate will be far more subdued and traditional, even if modern style.

CW gave an interview and said Armani is designing two dresses for her...so assume one will be for the civil wedding and the other for the religious ceremony.

Yes, I will be very disappointed if CW doesn't look great.

Age.....

How old do you have to be to be an adult? I will be thirty in just over a month, and I am too young to remember Princess Diana's wedding as I was a baby when it happened. I haven't been called a teen in a long time.

Hi *Melissa*,:flowers:
Although not currently in vogue, this term "adult" was used to indicate a Lady of age 40 and over. The usage of this term was very popular in the 50's and 60's and was adopted to be charming towards Ladies of this age or over.... So,the meaning and intent is quite different from the usual meaning.
And yes, at 30 you are definitely adult....:)

Fabulous Fabiola.....

Hi Angelique, no I do not have the link to the Balenciaga Museum...but if you go into the "Baudouin and Fabiola Wedding" thread there is a photo of the gown in the Museum as it appears today...it is no longer pure white, it's yellowed.

But still very beautiful. :)

Thank you Moonmaiden,
I appreciate your suggestion and reply.:flowers:

Kate & Charlene.....

CW gave an interview and said Armani is designing two dresses for her...so assume one will be for the civil wedding and the other for the religious ceremony.

Yes, I will be very disappointed if CW doesn't look great.

I agree, as at times in the past I also have felt disappointed:sad:
But really, I feel the most important thing is that both Kate and Charlene will be wed in the Gown of their dreams. The main thing is that They love their Gowns, Veils, etc and are really happy with it. If so, then I am happy for them, no matter what the results are.
When I married I also had the Gown and "look" of My dreams and as a result I felt wonderful and beautiful; even though some guests and friends might have thought otherwise.....;)

My favorite royal wedding dresses of all time

10.Princess Mathilde-This made me love coat wedding dresses

9.Princess Anne-Very unique and medieval

8.Princess Victoria-Love how simple and elegant it is

7.Lady Sarah Chatto-Classic and elegant

6.Princess Margaret-Stunning and timeless

5.Princess Martha Louise-Beautiful and medieval inspired

4.Princess Grace-This gown will never get old

3.Princess Claire-Love the lace details but it is still simple

2.Princess Mette-Marit-So simple yet too many words;I love the heavenly
train

1.Infanta Cristina-Simple is really the best.I love the off the shoulder look and how it flatters her body.I hope I have a dress like this someday.

My Favorites
Princess Grace-the ultimate bride
Princess Marie of Denmark- I love the lace on the dress and the veil is beautiful.
Princess Clotilde of Orleans- the whole look was perfect.
Princess Maxima- She was Modern Elegance .
Princess Mette-Marit -Simple and lovely
Simonete Gomez Acebo -I Really like this dress you could easily wear something like it today.
Princess Tatjana of Liechtenstein- she shows that you can go " less is more "
and still look wonderful.
Princess Aimee - very beautiful
princess Anita- perfect for a summer wedding .(or any wedding for that matter)
Barbara Cano - WOW how good did she look.
Princess Leticia- She looked Regal
Duchess Fleur- the whole look was great.and i love that the train had tiers.
Queen Sophia of Spain -love it love it love it.
princess Mathilde -I'm a sucker for a high collar and she pulls it off and she looked really sweet.

Not my favorites
Princess marie chantal of Greece -i like the overall look but less is more.
Sarah chatto -not a fan of the bodice.
princess Mary -dont get me wrong she looked gorgeous but the hair and the train threw me because they didnt match the dress.

more favorites
Princess Cristina of spain- if i were getting married i would steal this look.
Princess Victoria of Sweden - i like the neckline and the sleeves.
Princess Alexia of Greece
Princess Margaret
Duchess Diana of Cadaval
Archduchess Catharina of Austria
Archduchess Marie Christine of Austria
Frances Armstrong -Jones - The perfect Dress for the Petite Bride (maybe not Yellow though).
Farah Diba
Angela Brown

Worth mentioning
Nadja Zoeks
Carmen Franco
Duchess of Alba in 1947
Maria Teresa of Luxembourg
Princess Anna S-W-B

:flowers: My top three dresses:

1. Princess Margaret
:D Love, love, love, love (even though her marriage was a sham). It is classic, feminine, simple and graceful. Her beauty helped, but I loved that it was without pearls, crystals, lace and all the embellishments, yet it complemented her looks perfectly. IMO, a dress should enhance the bride's looks, not divert attention away from it or, worse, draw attention to the lack of it.

2. Marie-Chantal or Grace Kelly (essentially similar in style)

3. Diana/ Princess Victoria
Diana Spencer
This dress is often derided as an 80s concoction, but I see it a little differently. I think it is a classic, storybook dress, but not flattering on most women. Uniquely suited to Diana's 'cherubic' :angel: looks (as described by designer Emmanuel).

Princess Victoria
I'm not a fan of clean, sleek, modern but its simplicity suited her, and brought attention to her strong features. She looks fresh and invigorated.

:eek: My bottom three dresses:

3. Princess Anne/ Mary Donaldson
Princess Anne's dress (together with her hairstyle) reminded me of Princess Leia in Star Wars. :ROFLMAO:

The limp folds on Mary's skirts cheapened the design (I like the bodice). A lighter fabric might have had better effect.

2. Sophie Rhys-Jones
I like her down-to-earth style, but I think the dress did not highlight her looks. She tried to balance understated with romantic, but those straight lines/ angular cut did not flatter her face or figure.

1. Rania/ Letizia/ Mathilde
:bang: The gold embroidery on Rania's dress looks tacky. I dislike the collars on Letizia and Mathilde's dresses, but Princess Martha Louise's dress is one variation, which I don't dislike as much.

Last edited:
I have a feeling I will love Kates dress.I personally would want to have a simple and modest gown like CP Victoria.Can anyone see Kate in a dress like Victoria?

Best Royal brides and wedding dresses

Best Royal brides and wedding dresses:
1. Mette Marit of Norway
2. Maxima of the Netherlands
3. I hope: Kate Middleton.

Worst Royal brides and wedding dresses:
1. Mabel of Orange-Nassau

My worst wedding dresses

10.CP Mary-Dont like the fabric,color or train

9.Princess Marie-The waistline shortens her even though her veil is stunning.Plus did anyone notice she was too tanned?

8.Marie-Chantel-Not a fan of the high neck look or the skirt

7.Autumn Kelly-Not bad but boring and unoriginal

6.Maxima-Her veil is stunning but dont like the neckline or the sleeves

5.Tatiana-Too much lace

4-Sophie Winkleman-Tacky and cheap looking

3-Queen Silvia-Very boring and dull

2-Princess Mabel-No one is suprised shes here

1-Princess Diana-I know very iconic but its too much and there are so many words..and not in a good way.

Last edited:
1. Princess Grace (I would wear this dress today)
2. Princess Margaret (completely timeless)
3. HM Queen Elizabeth (I love the embroidered tulle train, which looks nice and light and airy)
4. Princess Victoria (I love the back. So simple and classic the dress made the tiara shine)

Worst
1. Princess Mabel (It looks like a bow factory exploded.)
2. Princess Diana (I always think "Didn't they have a steamer?" I LOVE silk taffeta but it was not the right choice for this dress.)

IMO Princess Mabel could have had a classic gown. The gown fit her beautifully...then came the bows.:eek:

Princess Anne's dress was too extreme in the sleeves, and she did not carry herself very well in it, IMO. Wondering what Zara will wear!

Does anyone have a picture of Mathildes wedding dress without the coat? Thanks.

. . . . . . . Princess Diana (I always think "Didn't they have a steamer?" I LOVE silk taffeta but it was not the right choice for this dress.)
:ermm: This was 1981 . . . . . steam irons weren't even that reliable then! Of course they could have set up an ironing board in the porch of the Cathedral . . . . . :ROFLMAO:

Back
Top Bottom