Best Royal Brides & Wedding Dresses

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Princess Grace with her genes and Hollywood design behind her gown. What not to like, but her headgear. I would have liked a diamond tiara. Did you know that Ms. Kelly lost weight coming over on the ship before her marriage? But she looked and was fitted well in her wedding gown.

Princess Diana's gown was beautiful for a fairy tale. Only, Diana, Princess of Wales could carry off that type of dress. Her tall genes help her carry off the dress of the Century. It was the dress of dream for every YOUNG girl in the 80's to become a princess. I wonder if the wrinkles were a prophecy of the marriage? I love Diana. She is my favorite.

The bridal gown that I truly loved, is the Duchess of Cornwall. It was a "princess woman dress" very sophisticated, sleek and wore by a older, sophisticated woman.
Loved the gown's design and fabric. A woman that was scared to marry her prince, but did so because she loved him and he loved her.:);):)

I agree, even though Diana still was a Gorgeous Bride on account of Her Beauty and Demure Bearing. But Sarah Ferguson's Dress was more Royal as well as more elegant. The full skirt and the long train were just wonderful; the train should have been longer but it draped beautifully, I just loved it.
A more flowing and softer fabric would have made it even more gorgeous.
:angel:Angelique
:crown4:
I didn't really liked Kalina of Bulgaria's, it's awfull.

I agee with you.

I have read that Kalina's bridal outfit was a traditional Bulgarian outfit.

My favourite is Queen Margrethe of Denmark. It is simple and just beautiful.

Crown Princess Mary's didn't appeal - she didn't look comfortable in it and he hair did do her any justice.

Princess Marie's was beautiful - her gown, hair, tiara and veil all matched so well.

Also a worthy mention:

Princess Margaret
Crown Princess Maxima
Crown Princess MM
Queen Elizabeth II - most people don't realise that since they just came out of war, fabric was still rationed, and that still included her.

I'm looking forward to when Crown Princess Victoria Of Sweden is married - maybe she can give me some last minute inspiration as she is marrying a week before me!

True but the then Princess Elizabeth was given extra clothing coupons, wasn't she?

IMO CP Mary of Denmark wore the best wedding dress. I also liked Sophie's and Mette-Marit's - both simple yet very elegant.

Yes, Elizabeth got lots of extra coupons for the dress.

Yes, I read that people sent her lots of extra ration coupons for her dress and for sugar and flour (for the cake). If I remember correctly, they didn't use the coupons people sent.

I'm remembering all this from The Little Princesses, by Marion Crawford, but it's been a while since I've read it.

The Emanuels said of Diana's wedding, "There will never be another day or another dress or another bride quite like that again."

1. Mary
2. Sarah, Duchess of York
3. Princess Margaret
4. Viscountess Linley

My favorite would be Sarah, Duchess of York. It was not as classicly beautiful as some of the others. But to me it showed her personality just perfectly.

Hands down Grace Kelly had the best dress closely followed by Diana. But from the current CP's I'd have to say that Maxima had the best dress then Mary, Marie and MM. I really loved the lace sleeves on Marie's dress but I prefer the cut/style of Maxima's.

Is it just me, or do most of the dresses look exactly the same:ermm:? They all look like Queen Silvia's wedding gown.
I guess it's just you ;), because I don't see any similarities with Queen Silvia's gown at all.

Silvia's gown had a very simple neckline which was very unique... I think only Princess Aimee chose a similar one. The cut of the dress was also very simple and less waisted then the dresses of the younger generation of brides. Most of them used to have much more details on their dresses and also quite different necklines.

I guess it's just you ;), because I don't see any similarities with Queen Silvia's gown at all.

Silvia's gown had a very simple neckline which was very unique... I think only Princess Aimee chose a similar one. The cut of the dress was also very simple and less waisted then the dresses of the younger generation of brides. Most of them used to have much more details on their dresses and also quite different necklines.

You don't see it? What I meant was most of their dresses, especially Mette Marit, and Mary's, were very plain to the point where they almost looked like Silvias dress. Look at all of their overall gowns and not the meticulous details like necklines;)

In my mind the best are always being played out between Grace; Princess Elizabeth; Fabiola and Letizia of Spain with the Duchess of Windsor as an honorable mention.
I also luved the gown of a noble called Fiametta Frescobaldi whose wedding Charles attended.

You don't see it? What I meant was most of their dresses, especially Mette Marit, and Mary's, were very plain to the point where they almost looked like Silvias dress. Look at all of their overall gowns and not the meticulous details like necklines;)
Silvia's gown was from the seventies by Dior and like Farah Diba's by Givenchy at the ceremonies on in Persia they were cut on very straight lines emphasizing great simplicity.Couture had almost become lost at the time with what they were sporting.However I must admit that Silvia did look resplendent on her magic day. I wonder if Princess Victoria will wear her mother's dress?

Sorry, but I still don't agree. :lol: Yes, Mary's dress looks a little similar regarding the fabric and the colour of the dress. But the rest is completely different: the cut of the top part of the dress; the cut of the skirt and the details on it.
MM's dress is even more different. The fabric is completely different which makes the dress look less heavier then Silvia's. The colour is different; the cut of the dress; the train... just everything. ;)

Silvia's gown - Mary's gown - Mette's gown

Jaya said:
I wonder if Princess Victoria will wear her mother's dress?
No, she won't.

When looking at all wedding dresses I liked most the one of CP Mathilde - i think it really supported her classical good looks.
Letizia had something similar but she got lost under the dress and the veil....
MM was beautiful - but very simple. Marys - I can not decide yet.
I do not like Maximas dress - I think it was too boring simple for her -looked like 70ies instead of modern simplicity....
I don't like Sophies - strange medivial approach...

I hope Victoria will stay with the style she has discovered over the past years, which I think is really fitting her well. AND I hope - no Cameo tiara ;)

My favourites are the dresses of Grace of Monaco (not strictly a royal bride) Chantal of Greece, Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall which I thought really beautiful for a bride who was not young and on her second marriage, and also I thought that Sarah when she married Prince Andrew had a gorgeous dress.
The worst? Princess Kalina, that was dreadful and I am afraid Diana´s, yards and yards of crushed silk but she still managed to look beautiful. Mabel´s dress is much criticised but I rather liked it and there is no doubt it was unique.

Sorry, but I still don't agree. :lol: Yes, Mary's dress looks a little similar regarding the fabric and the colour of the dress. But the rest is completely different: the cut of the top part of the dress; the cut of the skirt and the details on it.
MM's dress is even more different. The fabric is completely different which makes the dress look less heavier then Silvia's. The colour is different; the cut of the dress; the train... just everything. ;)

Silvia's gown - Mary's gown - Mette's gown

Sorry, I meant it as a rhetorical question. I see what you mean. I wasn't really looking at the textiles but the overall look. Being a royal bride, I would think they would pick a really beautiful gown. But I have to remember what makes humanity so sweet is the fact that we all have our own taste, style and opinions.

As I look even more closely, I see Marys wedding dress wasn't white, but more of an eggshell close to pearl color.

In my mind the best are always being played out between Grace; Princess Elizabeth; Fabiola and Letizia of Spain with the Duchess of Windsor as an honorable mention.
I also luved the gown of a noble called Fiametta Frescobaldi whose wedding Charles attended.

I'm sure I've heard of Fiametta Frescobaldi before - did she marry in around 1988? The first ever Hello! magazine I bought was in 1988 and it had an Italian nobelwoman's wedding and all I can remember is that her veil seems too long for the little church she married in.

Thank you for this, Her_Majesty! :flowers: I always liked Mary's wedding dress, but Mette-Marit's looks lovely as well. Of course Victoria beats them all (allright, that's because it's the most contemporary gown ;))!

Mary's is my favorite, with Victoria's and Mette-Marit's coming in 2nd and 3rd.

Victoria's gown was nice but didn't have any luxury feel to it at all. It could have been your average wedding gown for all I care.
I wish Victoria would have gone for a wedding gown designed by Ricardo Tisci, John Galliano or take Valentino out of his retirement.

Victoria's gown was nice but didn't have any luxury feel to it at all. It could have been your average wedding gown for all I care.
I wish Victoria would have gone for a wedding gown designed by Ricardo Tisci, John Galliano or take Valentino out of his retirement.

No way. Victoria is not a pretentious or ostentatious person, so there's no way she would have done that. She's always been a simple, classically beautiful woman, so her dress was going to reflect that. Had she worn some couture nightmare, especially in light of economic issues not only in Sweden, but throughout the world, she would have looked ridiculous. Could her father have paid for a dress like that? Sure, I doubt he'd deny his daughter her dream wedding dress. That doesn't make it right, though.

She's royalty, we all know that. That doesn't mean you have to walk into church looking like you just stepped off a runway.

Back
Top Bottom