The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-15-2017, 12:55 AM
Courtier

Princess Victoria in my mind had the most elegant gown ever, she looked outstanding that day. Clean lines, perfect style and pure heaven in that gown. Nothing IMO has come even close to it.

Old 10-26-2017, 06:39 PM
Heir Presumptive

I don't know where to put this, but I was looking at a TV thing tonight which covered Pr Margaret's wedding to Antony A JOnes.. and the tiara just looked way too big. Which tiara is it, does anyone know? does anyone think that it looked out of place at a wedding.. or at least on Margaret? and her veil had a sort of border on it, I just did not like the whole ensemble...

Old 10-26-2017, 07:48 PM
Serene Highness

More on the wedding:
http://orderofsplendor.blogspot.hr/2...-princess.html

She wore the Poltimore tiara, more on it here:
The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Readers' Top 15 Tiaras: #7. The Poltimore Tiara
Old 10-26-2017, 07:51 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Payton View Post
Princess Victoria in my mind had the most elegant gown ever, she looked outstanding that day. Clean lines, perfect style and pure heaven in that gown. Nothing IMO has come even close to it.
For me, CP Victoria was one of the most boring brides ever. Her gown was much too simple for me and the lack of sleeves was a disappointment. And I have never liked the Cameo Tiara, a monstrosity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
I don't know where to put this, but I was looking at a TV thing tonight which covered Pr Margaret's wedding to Antony A JOnes.. and the tiara just looked way too big. Which tiara is it, does anyone know? does anyone think that it looked out of place at a wedding.. or at least on Margaret? and her veil had a sort of border on it, I just did not like the whole ensemble...
That was the Poltimore Tiara:
The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Readers' Top 15 Tiaras: #7. The Poltimore Tiara.
Her veil had a visible hem indeed. I have never been very fond of Princess Margaret as a bride. Not ugly, but not knock-the-ball-out-of-the-park either. Rather simple actually and she looked sad. I have read that she deliberately wore a simple gown - due to the Peter Townsend fiasco. Not sure how accurate that is, though.
Old 10-26-2017, 08:13 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
For me, CP Victoria was one of the most boring brides ever. Her gown was much too simple for me and the lack of sleeves was a disappointment. And I have never liked the Cameo Tiara, a monstrosity.

I agree.
I didn't like it at all.
The gown looked like something a nun to wear to take her vows...and the tiara was clunky.

(But I have to admit it did suit Victoria, she looked very happy).
Old 10-26-2017, 08:18 PM
Majesty

I loved Victoria's gown, I found it simple but strikingly elegant. What I did not like at all and have never liked is the way the Cameo tiara sits atop the bride's head with that lovely lace veil sort of pinned clumsily to the back.

Everything about Victoria on her wedding day...her makeup, her hair, her gown, her transcendent joy...was perfect except for her veil and tiara!(IMHO)

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 10-26-2017, 08:57 PM
Majesty

I really do like Victoria's dress....the way she did the tiara (not my favorite one either) and the veil reminds me of the middle ages type of positing/styling. Almost a snood effect.

LaRae
Old 10-26-2017, 09:39 PM
Majesty

I respect everyone's opinion but I loved Victoria's position of her veil. I love when brides hang their veils like Victoria and Mette Marit. On another note, the only thing I did not like about Victoria's wedding look was her shoes.
Old 10-26-2017, 09:47 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
Stephanie of Luxembourg wore the most beautiful Royal wedding gown I have ever seen. She is my #1 choice for October brides, followed by Cristina of Spain and Aimee of the Netherlands.
She's my number one choice for royal wedding gowns EVER. Elie Saab can do absolutely no wrong.

I thought Claire's was gorgeous too - but it still paled next to Stephanie's.
Old 10-26-2017, 09:54 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveCP View Post
Here is a revised list of my all time favorite royal wedding gowns. These are the dresses that I would wear.

22. Countess Helene d'Udekem d'Acoz
21. Princess Astrid of Norway
20. Katharine, Duchess of Kent
19. Queen Anne Marie
18. Grand Duchess Josephine Charlotte
17. Lady Rose Windsor
16. Princess Viktoria of Bourbon Parma
15. Lady Sarah Chatto
14. Princess Zeina of Jordan
13. Princess Carolina of Bourbon Parma
12. Princess Claire of Belgium
11. Princess Charlotte of Wales
10. Crown Princess Victoria
9. Emma, Viscountess Weymouth
8. Queen Sofia of Spain
7. Princess Margaret
6. Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge
5. Jane, Duchess of Buccleuch
4. Crown Princess Mette Marit
3. HGD Stephanie
2. Princess Grace
1. Infanta Cristina of Spain

An honorable mention goes to Vicky Andrén who married a nephew of King Carl Gustaf. If she was a royal/aristocrat, she would have been number 10 on my list.
I like your list.

I know a lot of people liked the Duchess of Cambridge's gown - but when she got out of the car I thought - I've seen that gown over and over again. Monique Lhuillier had done a line with a very similar gown to that one for years - so did Alvina Valenta, Christos, Jim Hjelm, Lazaro - every designer had done a version of that dress in the years leading up to the DoC wearing it. And that's because they were inspired by Grace Kelly's gown. The DoC's gown was pretty in its own way but it wasn't unique and honestly most brides could easily run out to any bridal salon in the country and find a version close to what she wore the same day she wore it. That's why it's just not on my list of fave gowns.

The gown I have been obsessed with is HGD Stephanie. I swooned when I saw it and knew even before they said Elie Saab designed it that he had to be the designer - because I just KNOW his touch.
Old 10-26-2017, 10:21 PM
Majesty

HGD Stephanie was just stunning...the gown suited her perfectly.

LaRae
Old 10-27-2017, 05:23 AM
Heir Presumptive

Thanks, I think that Marg's tiara was rater too big and esp with a veil. It looks better in other photos where she's just wearing it on her hair. Quite pretty. But the veil!! Oh dear why did it have that strange border that made it IMO look like it was a very cheap veil? The dress was quite pretty but nothing special... the Tiara was the best bit of her ensemble but not perfect
Old 10-27-2017, 08:27 AM
Aristocracy

Veils

I think my favourite royal veil was Princess Diana's. If you look at her coming down the aisle, it literally twinkles in the light. I wasn't a fan of Princess Margaret's veil either. Not just because of the edging but the whole way she wore the veil and Tiara together.

BTW slightly OT, but I think Princess Diana has to have been the most nervous royal bride ever. She almost looks as if she's hyperventilating. I mean she's smiling and looks radiant, but her chest is heaving. Compare that to, for example, Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden, who looks so thrilled she could cartwheel down the aisle. (Which I understand given the original opposition to her being allowed to marry her personal trainer, even though Prince Daniel has proved to be a good choice in the end).
Old 10-27-2017, 09:29 AM
Nobility

I thought Stephanie's was a beautiful gown for a fancy evening party, but it wasn't at all right for a wedding.
Old 10-27-2017, 10:41 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by FashionMaven View Post
She's my number one choice for royal wedding gowns EVER. Elie Saab can do absolutely no wrong.

I thought Claire's was gorgeous too - but it still paled next to Stephanie's.

Claire was a gorgeous bride but I have to admit I felt let down when I saw her on her wedding day. It was almost as if she picked up the phone and called Saab and said "Hey, you know how spectacular you made my sister-in-law look last year? Well I want kind of the same dress only I want you to add these changes!"

I don't blame her for wanting to go with Elie Saab, the guy's a real genius when it comes to gowns and evening wear but it all felt so anti-climactic on Claire.. like we'd seen it all before.

Stephanie de Lannoy took my breath away as a bride, partially because I was not expecting her to look so beautiful and partially due to the sheer almost OTT grandeur of it all. I never get tired of watching her enter the Cathedral from the view of the cameras situated in the choir loft....it looked the famous wedding scene from The Sound of Music.

Whether you liked the gown or not, there was no doubt that you were watching a very Royal bride in a very Royal wedding!

Princess Squirrel
, I hated Diana's dress when I first saw it but over the years it has grown on me. I understand it better, but it's still not a favorite of mine. I think it would have been more successful overall if she hadn't lost so much weight between fittings. She seems lost in all those ruffles in some photos.

And yes, I did notice her chest heaving as she came up the aisle. She seemed to be taking deep breaths. It's just unbelievable that she had only celebrated her 20th birthday a few weeks earlier..she was sooo young!

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968

Tags
bride, fashion, royal weddings, royal weddings; royal wedding dresses, wedding dress