Best Royal Brides & Wedding Dresses

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
HGD Stephanie was just stunning...the gown suited her perfectly.

LaRae

Thanks, I think that Marg's tiara was rater too big and esp with a veil. It looks better in other photos where she's just wearing it on her hair. Quite pretty. But the veil!! Oh dear why did it have that strange border that made it IMO look like it was a very cheap veil? The dress was quite pretty but nothing special... the Tiara was the best bit of her ensemble but not perfect

Veils

I think my favourite royal veil was Princess Diana's. If you look at her coming down the aisle, it literally twinkles in the light. I wasn't a fan of Princess Margaret's veil either. Not just because of the edging but the whole way she wore the veil and Tiara together.

BTW slightly OT, but I think Princess Diana has to have been the most nervous royal bride ever. She almost looks as if she's hyperventilating. I mean she's smiling and looks radiant, but her chest is heaving. Compare that to, for example, Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden, who looks so thrilled she could cartwheel down the aisle. (Which I understand given the original opposition to her being allowed to marry her personal trainer, even though Prince Daniel has proved to be a good choice in the end).

I thought Stephanie's was a beautiful gown for a fancy evening party, but it wasn't at all right for a wedding.

She's my number one choice for royal wedding gowns EVER. Elie Saab can do absolutely no wrong.

I thought Claire's was gorgeous too - but it still paled next to Stephanie's.

Claire was a gorgeous bride but I have to admit I felt let down when I saw her on her wedding day. It was almost as if she picked up the phone and called Saab and said "Hey, you know how spectacular you made my sister-in-law look last year? Well I want kind of the same dress only I want you to add these changes!" :cool:

I don't blame her for wanting to go with Elie Saab, the guy's a real genius when it comes to gowns and evening wear but it all felt so anti-climactic on Claire.. like we'd seen it all before.

Stephanie de Lannoy took my breath away as a bride, partially because I was not expecting her to look so beautiful and partially due to the sheer almost OTT grandeur of it all. I never get tired of watching her enter the Cathedral from the view of the cameras situated in the choir loft....it looked the famous wedding scene from The Sound of Music.

Whether you liked the gown or not, there was no doubt that you were watching a very Royal bride in a very Royal wedding!

Princess Squirrel
, I hated Diana's dress when I first saw it but over the years it has grown on me. I understand it better, but it's still not a favorite of mine. I think it would have been more successful overall if she hadn't lost so much weight between fittings. She seems lost in all those ruffles in some photos.

And yes, I did notice her chest heaving as she came up the aisle. She seemed to be taking deep breaths. It's just unbelievable that she had only celebrated her 20th birthday a few weeks earlier..she was sooo young!

Last edited:
I thought Stephanie's was a beautiful gown for a fancy evening party, but it wasn't at all right for a wedding.
IMO it was perfect for a wedding and is the best wedding dress in decades. Never expected them to take her pre-wedding dress and make it even better.

Love your list, IloveCP. ❤️ Especially because you have them all linked! I have yet to linger over each one, but just want to say that I never tire of Mette Marit's gown, and in fact it becomes more compelling as the years pass and one becomes aware of how it was a truly 'out-of-the-box' kind of creative moment. An example of a gown matching perfectly the wearer (and fitting the wearer). Brilliant! :flowers: Never disappoints.

Last edited:
IMO it was perfect for a wedding and is the best wedding dress in decades. Never expected them to take her pre-wedding dress and make it even better.

Totally agree. Stephanie's wedding was in 2012 but I have not been as bowled over by a Royal bridal gown since...the oyster colored lace, the pearls, the sequins, the majestic train fanning out in Notre Dame de Luxembourg. ...I have yet to see anyone top or even equal that.

Last edited:
#royal #flashback The bodice of The Duchess of Cambridge's wedding dress was made in ivory and white satin gazar, using UK fabrics, with a floral hand made lace motifs including a rose, thistle, daffodil and shamrock to represent England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

The bridal train was pieced together like petals on a blossoming flower. It was made of layers of soft, ivory silk netting with a trim of hand-embroidered flowers made by the Royal School of Needlework, housed in a wing of Hampton Court Palace.

Oscar de la Renta stated that it was "a very traditional dress for a very traditional wedding...not ostentatious. There was not 50 meters of train, and it was not overembroidered. It was just a very traditional dress for a ravishing girl who doesn't need a lot".

Antonio Marras, of Kenzo, stated, "the choice of the label and the style of the dress was a very clever mix between edgy fashion and tradition - all in a very British way.

Mark Badgley of Badgley Mischka wrote that "it's the kind of gown that will stand the test of time. Any bride across the world will want to wear it. It's got a touch of vintage, a classic 1950s ball gown, so timeless that her daughter would look gorgeous in this gown 30y from now

Karl Lagerfeld wrote "the dress is classic and goes very well in the Westminster decor. It almost reminds me of Elizabeth's wedding, the royal weddings in the [19]50s. The proportion of the train is good. The lace is very pretty. I like the veil a lot."

Vera Wang said "Diana's dress had a sense of innocence, whimsy, almost storybook romance. In contrast Catherine's gown was about way more than simply the dress. It channeled a new take on classicism for a modern-day bride who will one day be queen."

Via Mace Twitter

I think my favourite royal veil was Princess Diana's. If you look at her coming down the aisle, it literally twinkles in the light. I wasn't a fan of Princess Margaret's veil either. Not just because of the edging but the whole way she wore the veil and Tiara together.

BTW slightly OT, but I think Princess Diana has to have been the most nervous royal bride ever. She almost looks as if she's hyperventilating. I mean she's smiling and looks radiant, but her chest is heaving. Compare that to, for example, Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden, who looks so thrilled she could cartwheel down the aisle. (Which I understand given the original opposition to her being allowed to marry her personal trainer, even though Prince Daniel has proved to be a good choice in the end).

and clearly the Prince of Wales was NOT a good choice for Diana Spencer; apparently they both knew this as they entered the church:bang: Imagine if they had both spoken up at the "if anyone has just cause to deny this union" part of the service:ohmy:

Here are my favorite royal wedding reception dresses, in no specific order:

Princess Madeleine: 1 2 3 4

Princess Charlene: 1 2 3

Beatrice Borromeo: 1 2 3 4

Meghan, Duchess of Sussex: 1 2

Princess Eugenie: 1 2 3 4 5

Lady Gabriella Windsor: 1 2 3 4

My least favorite royal wedding reception dresses, in no specific order:

Princess Ekaterina of Hanover: 1 2 34 5

Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge: 1

Queen Rania: 1 2 3

Princess Martha Louise: 1 2 3

Princess Alessandra of Hanover: 1 2 3 4

Marie Chevallier: 1 2

Last edited:
Last edited:
I have added Meghan Duchess of Sussex to my list on on the strength of that amazing bridal veil mostly. I just don't know what order she comes in the Top Ten.;)

For now the Top Three remain.

1)Grace of Monaco
2)Maxima of the Netherlands and Stephanie de Lannoy, HGD of Luxembourg(tied for #2)
2)Charlene of Monaco

In Diana Princess of Wales, Julia Delano wrote about Princess Diana's bridal gown: It was a dream of a wedding dress.

In Diana Princess of Wales, Julia Delano wrote about Princess Diana's bridal gown: It was a dream of a wedding dress.

It was indeed, and for me she is still the best royal bride - when you see her, you see a bride. Or at least how I envision one. But today she has to share her no. 1 spot with Princess Eugenie. They are my top.

I liked Meghan Markle's wedding dress, I think it has a true elegant style and moreover it inspired so many brides to look for a simple and chic bridal look. These modern style dresses are really popular now and I think it is a perfect dress for the reception.

However, the first royal look needs to be really wow and without the princess gown it is hard to achieve :) When I say princess style, I mean this kind of dresses with full skirt and character https://www.dellamore.co.nz/product...g-dress-silhouettes/princess-wedding-dresses/

What do you think?

My favorite wedding reception dresses

1)Princess Madeleine of Sweden
2)Princess Sophie of Bavaria
3)Meghan Duchess of Suffolk
4)Maria Francisca, Duchess of Coimbra

***If Beatrice Borromeo was a princess instead of an aristocrat, I would put her high on my list***;)

Last edited:
:previous: I also loved both of Princess Caroline's civil wedding outfits. She looked so beautiful and elegant!

Back
Top Bottom