The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-04-2012, 10:21 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andolini View Post
I totally agree! The whole sleeveless wedding dress thing was getting sooo old, and not a lot of women really look good in sleeveless. I have always loved wedding gowns with sleeves, and Kate and now Stephanie's dresses hopefully will inspire other women to continue to choose sleeves!
I certainly hope so.

I'm not obsessed with royalty...I just think intensely about it.
Old 11-05-2012, 01:03 AM
Heir Presumptive

Catherine & Stephanie both had amazing wedding dresses. Classic and timeless. Their dresses were great to see in a see of strapless dresses that a majority of women prefer.

Although, I favor Stephanie's over Catherine's.

Old 11-05-2012, 01:13 AM
Heir Apparent

It is a source of never ending surprise to me that so many brides manage to look half-dressed in a strapless gown. A few, a very few, manage to pull off "the look" with any degree of grace or elegance.
Old 11-05-2012, 01:13 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Pam View Post
Catherine & Stephanie both had amazing wedding dresses. Classic and timeless. Their dresses were great to see in a see of strapless dresses that a majority of women prefer.

Although, I favor Stephanie's over Catherine's.
I was so pleasantly surprised with Stephanie's dress - she looked STUNNING. Memorable dress and styling, very unique dress.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:40 PM
Aristocracy

Photo's.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
4Pam, I go back and forth between Stephanie and Maxima at the #2 position...it's actually too close to call and they are tied for number two, imo!(btw that photo in your avatar is priceless...love it so much!)

I could stare at both their bridal veils till I go into a trance....sheer perfection by Valentino and Elie Saab!

Angelique, those photos are breathtaking! Thanks for the link!
Gladly done dear Moonmaiden

Old 11-05-2012, 08:53 PM
Aristocracy

Taking My breath away....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemisia View Post

I have to agree with you, Moonmaiden23.
Kate's dress was lovely but, well, there was no wow effect for me.
The dress featured great craftsmanship, great needlework, nice lines but that's pretty much it.

Very few royal dresses actually had that effect of taking my breath away but the two that did were Stephanie's and Mette-Marit's gowns. And Maxima's veil.
I wholeheartedly agree Artemisia. Maxima's veil would be my dream veil. And although the "silhouette" of Stephanie's Gown was Classic and Traditional, it is definitely one of My Favorite's now. It is just SO Royally elegant en feminine. I LOVE the Train and the fact that the skirt itself has a small train, as well as the opulent and very full Train that sweeps from Her waist. Besides, the fabric flows and drapes beautifully. Perhaps a little too much lace, but still a dress that I feel is one of the most beautiful. I would LOVE to wear it......hhmm. Wouldn't we all?
Mette-Marit's Gown was also one of a kind and it really suited Her. It was also very elegant and feminine; Really Divine. .

The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: The Luxembourg Royal Wedding: The Bride and Bridal Party

Old 11-10-2012, 04:56 AM
Heir Apparent

Here are my worst royal wedding dresses:

15. Princess Marie
14. Queen Soraya
13. Princess Tatiana
12. Sophie, Countess of Wessex
11. Crown Princess Marie-Chantal
10. The Queen Mother
9. Princess Sophie of Prussia
8. Princess Margaretha of Luxembourg
7. Maria Margarita, Duchess of Anjou
6. Princess Nathalie
5. Queen Silvia
4. Princess Caroline (first marriage)
3. Queen Rania
2. Diana, Princess of Wales
1. Princess Mabel
Old 11-10-2012, 11:45 AM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

For a second, bearing in mind the title of this thread, I thought that's your Best Dresses list and my jaw dropped.
I respect people's opinions but it's hard to imagine Mabel's dress making it to Top 1 spot of any Best list.
Old 11-10-2012, 06:07 PM
Heir Apparent

The cut, design and fit of Mabel's gown was quite perfect...it was beautiful in fact..

It was the Attack of the Killer Bows over the whole thing that ruined it.
Old 11-10-2012, 06:10 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Killer bows describes the unfortunate details quite well. Sometimes I think Mabel deliberately opted for something so outlandish to ensure her gown will be remembered long after the wedding. If that was her plan, it worked.
Old 11-10-2012, 06:34 PM
Courtier

I agree with Moonmaiden. Without the huge bows it really would be a beautiful dress just because of the cut and the fit of the dress. Yeah I really think Mabel did on purpose :-) I still remember her wedding to Friso so clearly and how happy these two were. A real tragedy ...
Old 11-10-2012, 06:39 PM
Heir Presumptive

I loved William and Catherine's wedding, there was just a buzz about it that made it extra special, plus everyone looked gorgeous and they used beautiful music, and then Westminster Abbey isn't the ugliest place to get married

I also really adored Frederik and Mary's wedding, but I think even more so because I'm Danish and Frederik is our Crown Prince, it was really big for the entire nation.

Quote:
I respect people's opinions but it's hard to imagine Mabel's dress making it to Top 1 spot of any Best list.
Hear, hear!

Old 11-10-2012, 06:43 PM
Courtier

Frederik's and Mary's wedding was indeed beautiful. I have already rewatched it several times on youtube. I have never before seen a bride looking so regal as Mary.
Old 11-11-2012, 09:34 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

For a second, bearing in mind the title of this thread, I thought that's your Best Dresses list and my jaw dropped.
Well there is no "Worst Royal Wedding Dresses" thread so I had to come here.
Old 11-11-2012, 11:07 PM
Heir Apparent

There is indeed a "Worst Bridal Gowns" thread...it's goes under the name "Brides Who Didn't Look Their Best On Their Big Day" or something similar.
Old 12-13-2012, 01:58 AM
Gentry

To me, my perfect royal wedding look is, Victoria's gown, with the Spencer Tiara, Victoria's bouquet and veil, Mary's wedding earrings, Infanta Cristina's hairstyle, and with Catherine's shoes!
Old 12-13-2012, 02:43 AM
Nobility

My favorite dress is Cristina's, so elegant!
As for my least favorite, I can only say, what can Princess Mabel have been thinking?
Old 12-13-2012, 09:57 AM
Aristocracy

Favorite Dresses...Princess Claire of Belgium, Princess Margaret and Lady Sarah Chatto.
Queen Paola's family heirloom veil worn by Queen Paola, Princess Astrid, Princess Mathilde and Princess Claire is simply magnificent. The lace at the top of Princess Claire's dress combined with the lace veil was beautiful, and classic
Old 12-13-2012, 12:29 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnEliza View Post
My favorite dress is Cristina's, so elegant!
As for my least favorite, I can only say, what can Princess Mabel have been thinking?
The more I look at dear Mabel's wedding dress, the more I like it!!! Call me crazy (a lot of people do) but it just is so her!!!
Old 12-13-2012, 06:49 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andolini View Post

The more I look at dear Mabel's wedding dress, the more I like it!!! Call me crazy (a lot of people do) but it just is so her!!!
I'm so glad you said that, I thought I was the only one who liked Mabel's gown! (I've always been afraid to speak up! : )) It was so beautiful and unique...

Tags
bride, fashion, royal weddings, royal weddings; royal wedding dresses, wedding dress