The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-03-2011, 04:41 PM
Serene Highness

My tops is the Princess Charlene. That dress could only have been carried off by her body - it was her, modern and classy. I finally saw a picture that clearly showed the front embroidery - and it was superb. Her hair with the 'clasp', seen through the veiling, was beautiful - and lastly, her make-up worked.

There's no getting around comparing to Kate - since the weddings are 2 months apart. Kate had a lovely dress - and she is a beautiful young woman - but her veil, hair and especially her make-up were a flop. If she wanted her hair down there is so much more she could have done with it even down. The make-up was awful - especially through the veil - and, in fact, her eye make-up continues to be a problem. Its really overdone. (I keep getting flashes of Elvis Presley and his odd preference regarding how his wife Priscilla did her make-up, particularly her eye make-up). Someone who saw her close-up commented about the eye make-up being overdone (in their opinion anyway).

Charlene, however, was all class. She clearly was able to consult with professionals and was able to work with others' opinions on what would be best to achieve a sophisticated and elegant impact suitable to a royal wedding. Catherine is just a very different personality - and it was clear in her gown/hair/make-up choices.

I will always have a fondness for the Duchess of York's dress - her overall impact felt very comfortable and classy at the same time. It was 'her'.

I agree about Mette-Marits wedding dress - interesting that she had a similar veil arrangement as Charlene - but Charlene's veil was inspired. As mentioned, the sense of light and airiness was what made it great.

To me the best dresses really take into account the bride's body type and height and this includes incorporating the hair in 'the line'. It takes an architect.

Old 07-03-2011, 05:12 PM
Serene Highness

Princess Victoria's dress would be my last choice,among this ladies, of a wedding dress. The wedding was beautiful, the bride looked happy, the groom too, but if I was to chose I would just pass it by.However with that tiara there's not much you could do, so the best was to keep it simple.
Maxima's is one of my favorites, but it had a more matronly look, besides it was during a more cold weather so that the fabric made it look more heavy. This is one that I had to see the details to really appreciate, otherwise I would only pay attention to the veil.
Mette-Marit was one that grow on me, I wouldn't pick it for myself, but can see that it fit's her personality, and we all agree this is very important.

One thing that some people here keep saying and that I completly disagree is the feeling I've seen that before.Hello! If you are a girl girl like me you have come a cross a biziliion different wedding dresses styles and I can honestly say none of the before mentioned brides have totally new designs. The ladies themselves made the difference (and those fabulous tiaras, of course)

Olebabs & sm1939 Charlene looked aestheticly beautiful, but as you have also noticed she missed one very important thing Genuine happynes!
But we can't blame her for that one. I'm surprise she show up at all!

There's not much of a difference between a stadium full of cheering fans and an angry crowd screaming abuse at you. They're both just making a lot of noise. How you take it is up to you. Convince yourself they're cheering for you. You do that, and someday, they will - Sue S.
Old 07-03-2011, 06:01 PM
Heir Presumptive

As I've said before, I've seen Charlene's dress before and I'm not even counting it being on Victoria. I've seen women wear similar dresses to the Oscars; it looked like something a guest would wear to an expensive wedding reception or even a prom. The beading at the bottom was beautiful, but they should have done more at the top. Overall it was very boring and standard and appeared to be off the rack. The way the shoulders were covered was very unattractive and I restate it should have been long sleeved, short sleeved, mid length sleeved, or spaghetti strapped.
Charlene and Kate both had that crazy bump in the middle of their hair like they were wearing a bump it. Kate's veil was better, but Charlene's hair was better, despite the bump. As for Char's trains, I agree it was too much for a simple wedding gown, but at least it didn't have the roll of toilet paper feel like Diana's and Victoria's. Overall she looked beautiful in a pretty gown which just so happened to be unoriginal and a little boring.
Mette-Marit's gown was simple but completely original, I've never seen that kind of dress before.
Jaqueline Bouvier Kennedy, September 12, 1953
Countess Stephanie of Belgium October 20, 2012
Old 07-03-2011, 08:41 PM
Heir Presumptive

Sorry, Charlene's gown was stunning. I am sure sleeves were out, because of the heat and shoulder covering was in, because of relgious restrictions. Strapless would have been better. Everyone in my family has always had a "train". It depends on the formality of your family and the venue. Kate's gown was lovely, but too "I have to cover up" look. Too much lace, also. Charlene's veil; was spectacular, Kate's looked like they threw something over her head. I was disappointed. No one knows if Charlene did not have genuine happiness. Even with the rumours. Who cares. He didn't marry them, he married her. Victoria's gown was a carbon copy of her mother's. Very unimpressive.
Old 07-03-2011, 10:58 PM
Heir Presumptive

I actually thought Charlene's veil looked like it was thrown over her head. Then again, I don't like that kind of veil that starts at the back of the head.
Old 07-03-2011, 11:14 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosapru View Post
Charlene was stunning but her dress was perfect for an outdoor wedding. Even in Monaco Cathedral (which is not Westminster) the dress would have been out of place.

For the train, I think it was beautiful but too long for a so simple dress. Doesnt match. Of course when I was speaking of wedding village I didnt not include the train. Did you ever seen apart in royal wedding dresses with train? I dont think so. So without the train, this dress is perfect for a summer wedding, because of course it's a stunning dress.

For Kate's hairdo at her wedding, I just can agree with you. No match with Charlene beautiful and perfect hairdo.

No kate's face was not boring and average. Because she was radiant and happy. A bride is never boring and average.

She wears lovely earings and a tiara. Not boring in my point of vue.

Last news: the little girl in Saint-Devote who sing with her mother cries after Charlene leaves the church in her mother arms. She spend a lot of time to improve her singing to be perfect the d day. And she feels she was not aknowledge by Charlene. Not even a "bravo" or "fantastic". Nothing.

For me Charlene is not THE BRIDE because of details like this one.

When she enter the palace, she walks before on her father's arm. Not a word or a smile or a wave for the monaco population. But she ignored this population for a while now because she has not yet learn french.

Charlene was overcome inside St Devote and was really crying...I feel badly if it is true the child felt overlooked but in that case Albert should have spoken to her, especially since his wife was crying, probably distracted and last but not least is not fluent in French.
Old 07-04-2011, 04:44 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
I agree with you COUNTESS.

I think Kate was a beautiful bride, but there was somthing missing...she would not have looked out of place in a village church wedding.

Charlene? Can anyone see that dress at some regular parish church with it's magnificent diamonds, crystals and 20 foot court train?

That is how a Royal bride should look, imo.
I agree entirely, dear Moonmaiden. Catherine looked beautiful and very elegant, but to My taste Her train should have been at least twice as long and attended on by a bevy of maids, to be truly Royal. I also would have preferred a much more Majestic Tiara.
Charlene looked very Regal and beautiful, and I loved the embroidery detail. But the dress was too slinky to be really Royal. However, Her train was nearly right. She should have worn a gorgeous Royal Tiara though.
And you are all right, as naturally we have our different tastes and opinions about what Royalty should idealy look like.
Angelique.

Old 07-04-2011, 09:48 AM
Serene Highness
Picture of the Month Representative - Belgium

My new top 10

1 princess Marie
2 Duchess of Cambridge
3 Princess Claire
4 Princess Mathilde
5 Princess Letizia
6 princess Tessy
7 Princess Victoria
8 Isabella Orsini
9 Marie Christine of Austria
10 Princess Charlene
Old 07-04-2011, 11:39 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelique View Post
I agree entirely, dear Moonmaiden. Catherine looked beautiful and very elegant, but to My taste Her train should have been at least twice as long and attended on by a bevy of maids, to be truly Royal. I also would have preferred a much more Majestic Tiara.
Charlene looked very Regal and beautiful, and I loved the embroidery detail. But the dress was too slinky to be really Royal. However, Her train was nearly right. She should have worn a gorgeous Royal Tiara though.
And you are all right, as naturally we have our different tastes and opinions about what Royalty should idealy look like.
Angelique.
Hey Angelique...where have you been...it's great to see you back!
Old 07-10-2011, 04:53 PM
Heir Presumptive

Stephanievl my list hasn't changed aoni won't post it again. The only comparison I could do is Victoria vs Charlene. They both had similar dresses with long trains. I think they also had similar boquets.
Old 07-10-2011, 05:20 PM
Aristocracy

My list has had a few tweaks so I'll repost. These are in no particular order.

1. Princess Margaret
2. The Duchess of Cambridge
3. Crown Princess Victoria
4. Princess Grace
5. The Duchess of Kent
6. Lady Sarah Chatto

I admit my list is influenced by the fact that I personally don't like slim skirts on wedding gowns and am really not fond of "bling". Each and everyone of these is a dress I would wear personally for me that's the deciding factor on what I like vs what I don't.
Old 07-11-2011, 02:16 PM
Serene Highness

Catherine,duchess of Cambridge
Charlene of Monaco
Crown princess Mary of Denmark
Crown princess Mette marit
Crown princess Victoria
Elizabeth II

But I just loved kate's wedding dress that was a total secret until April 29 :/
Old 07-11-2011, 08:49 PM
Heir Apparent

I loved Katherine of Kent's gown.It was very classic.

The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Wedding Wednesday: The Duchess of Kent's Gown

Anne Marie of Parma had a very underrated gown.I lover train and tiara.

The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Royal Fashion Awards: The Duke of Parma's Wedding
Old 07-20-2011, 08:25 PM
Heir Presumptive

Hey guys what are your favorite wedding OF ALL TIME, not just of this century or the 20th century but even farther back?
Old 07-20-2011, 09:08 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
Hey guys what are your favorite wedding OF ALL TIME, not just of this century or the 20th century but even farther back?

I loved Queen Alexandra's gown.
Old 07-21-2011, 04:29 AM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by XeniaCasaraghi View Post
Pre-20th Century Gowns:
Queen Mary (1893) love the wax orange blossoms
Queen Alexandra (1863) I'm not sure why the royal family didn't make her veil the "official" British Royal wedding veil
Crown Princess Marie of Bavaria (1900) sans the big flower on her shoulder
While I have never seen a great picture of the gown I think that Prince Leopold's wife Helena was stunning (1882)
Old 07-21-2011, 08:08 AM
Courtier

I have always loved Queen Alexandra's gown and of course Katherine of Kent's classic gown choice. Yes I also loved our Kate's gown. It cerainly did not have the WOW factor but then again did it need to? It was simple, classic and elegant and she looked radiant and confident. Princess Charlene's gown was also very classic and simple which made her look beautiful. I especially loved her hair style and the jewelled hairpiece in the nape of her neck. Brides do not have to be overdone anymore to look glamorous. In fact it is becoming more and more a thing of rather "underdone" than "overdone".
Old 07-21-2011, 05:46 PM
Heir Presumptive

Kelly, is the Leopold you are talking about Queen Victoria's last son?
Daisiesforever, I agree that Kate and Charlene's simple but beautiful look is better and more likely to last for decades. It's hard to get a perfect balance of huge princess style dress without looking ridiculous; I think Grace, Margaret and Jackie Kennedy did it well. But since the 1990s it seems royal brides prefer to go with less is more.
Old 07-21-2011, 06:44 PM
Heir Presumptive

Best classic gowns: Katherine of Kent, Princess Royal, Princess Margaret, Grand Duchess Maria-Theresa

Best modern gowns: Charlene of Monaco, Victoria of Sweden, Mette-Marit of Norway
Old 07-21-2011, 07:06 PM
Aristocracy

i really liked the Grand Duchess Maria Teresa of Luxmebourg at her wedding ...she looked so virginal, young and beautiful...and she still doesnt look her age today..

Tags
bride, fashion, royal weddings, royal weddings; royal wedding dresses, wedding dress