The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-17-2011, 10:27 AM
Royal Highness

My favorites:
1. Princess Grace - probably the most beautiful wedding gown, timeless, great inspiration for past and future brides.
2. CP Maxima - very regal gown, probably the best of the all current CPss. I like material and lace details.
3. CP Mette-Marit - unusual but beautiful, I like delicate material and simple design. Gown suited her a lot.

Not the best:
1. Diana - very 80's, too puffy, doesn't suit pretty, young woman. Could be better with smaller sleeves.
2. CP Mary - she has got nice style, but I really dislike her gown. Material looked cheap, panels on the skirt were strange-looking.
3. Mabel - one word - bows.

Looking forward to see this year brides...

Old 03-13-2011, 05:55 PM

Top Five:
Favorite and most beautiful and "Princess-like": Grace Kelly
Second Marie of Denmark
Prince Laurent's Claire Coombs
Sarah Ferguson
Mary of Denmark

Worst: Laura Parker Bowles
Sadly, Princess Diana, who deserved so much better from the designer!
Princes Moor of Jordon
Prince Edward's Sophie

Old 03-14-2011, 07:09 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josefine View Post
with no contest for me Mette Marit of Norway
Agree! The only thing that would have been better is more bling at the neck.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:21 AM
Commoner

I go for simple and plain looking gowns which -by detail, by the choice of material, by the use of jewels- reveal that there comes a royal bride. Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden and Princess Máxima of the Netherlands had simple-lined plain looking gowns but the details told all.

In Princess Máxima's gown (by Valentino) this became clear by the use of the heaviest possible ivory-coloured Mikado silk which caused that no any wrinkle could be seen despite transport, sitting, kneeling, walking and moving. The Princess had panels inside the skirt (the starting point for the train) which were embroidered with lace, only partly visible when seated or walking. The 'austerity' of Princess Máxima's gown was richly compensated with the immense handwoven and hand-embroidered silk tulle veil.

Crown Princess Victoria had a similar outlook: a simple and maybe 'austere' gown but beautifully counterbalanced with that truly royal camée coronet and the regal looking veil. The Swedish Crown Princess showed more flesh and had a more feminine look. At the other hand: no one expected that 02-02-2002 would turn out in such a sunny day. That date is typically a cold, dark and wet February day in Amsterdam.

The gowns of the late Princess of Wales, Crown Princess Mary of Denmark, the Princess of Asturias and Crown Princess Mette-Marit of Norway were without any doubt beautiful but missed that feel of a royal gown. But of course, taste is always in the eye of the beholder.

The amazing train:

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_qA6ZGJEX8oM/S2...D%C4%B0NG7.jpg
Old 03-14-2011, 08:48 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsarevitch View Post
I go for simple and plain looking gowns which -by detail, by the choice of material, by the use of jewels- reveal that there comes a royal bride. Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden and Princess Máxima of the Netherlands had simple-lined plain looking gowns but the details told all.

In Princess Máxima's gown (by Valentino) this became clear by the use of the heaviest possible ivory-coloured Mikado silk which caused that no any wrinkle could be seen despite transport, sitting, kneeling, walking and moving. The Princess had panels inside the skirt (the starting point for the train) which were embroidered with lace, only partly visible when seated or walking. The 'austerity' of Princess Máxima's gown was richly compensated with the immense handwoven and hand-embroidered silk tulle veil.

Crown Princess Victoria had a similar outlook: a simple and maybe 'austere' gown but beautifully counterbalanced with that truly royal camée coronet and the regal looking veil. The Swedish Crown Princess showed more flesh and had a more feminine look. At the other hand: no one expected that 02-02-2002 would turn out in such a sunny day. That date is typically a cold, dark and wet February day in Amsterdam.

The gowns of the late Princess of Wales, Crown Princess Mary of Denmark, the Princess of Asturias and Crown Princess Mette-Marit of Norway were without any doubt beautiful but missed that feel of a royal gown. But of course, taste is always in the eye of the beholder.

The amazing train:

I agree with you.
I quite liked the dress of Princess Mathilde too.
At to the bolded part. Turned out it was the only dry and warm day of January and February. A perfect day.
Old 03-14-2011, 10:19 AM
Heir Apparent

Maxima took my breath away on her wedding day. Her hair, her makeup and her gown and tiara were spectacular.

But that train simply put her waaaay over the top...STUNNING!!

Thanks for posting that photo.
Old 03-14-2011, 03:39 PM
Heir Presumptive

Maxima's dress was definitely beautiful. The train was the perfect topping on her dress.
Old 03-14-2011, 04:23 PM
Heir Apparent

Diana's gown was perfect for her and in style for the time. It was beautiful.

I like all the gowns. I'm probably the only person who posts that liked Mabel's gown. I just like wedding gowns, as long as they're not strapless.
Old 03-14-2011, 04:32 PM
Commoner

I like all wedding gowns as long as it remains decent, tasteful, stylish and made with love, good materials and well-tailored. The gown of the late Princess of Wales was truly iconic but you either you hate it or you love it.

When you look at Queen Fabiola's gown from Balenciaga or to Grace Kelly's gown, these can still be worn today. Diana's gown would make every present-day young bride looking too campy. Even for the 1980's it was already too eighties, I think.

Princess Astrid of Belgium also had a very 1980's wedding gown with huge balloon puffed sleeves but the rest of the gown was sober. That makes it still 'bearable' to watch with 2011 eyes.

But despite everything, the images of Diana walking down the aisle in that gown were and are unforgettable.
Old 03-14-2011, 04:51 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAtlanta View Post
Diana's gown was perfect for her and in style for the time. It was beautiful.

I like all the gowns. I'm probably the only person who posts that liked Mabel's gown. I just like wedding gowns, as long as they're not strapless.

I didn't exactly HATE Mabel's gown...the cut and design were both excellent.

I just got a little dizzy looking at all those bows!
Old 03-15-2011, 03:48 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
I didn't exactly HATE Mabel's gown...the cut and design were both excellent.

I just got a little dizzy looking at all those bows!
The bridal gown of Princess Mabel has been on exposition for a while. Everyone agreed that it was a dared design and a masterpiece when it comes to technique, cut and tailoring. Hundreds and hundreds of hours have been invested by the coupeuses and modinettes working for Victor & Rolf to create this dress with 248 bows.

The result on the bride itself will always be debatable. Maybe it was better to be used as a proof of mastership but not as a real wedding gown.

Picture: http://knorrie.web-log.nl/photos/unc...rk_mabel_2.jpg

Picture of Princess Mabel: http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/4...5688049go6.jpg

Walking down the aisle: http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/7...5688064xu8.jpg
Old 03-15-2011, 10:22 AM
Heir Apparent

Thanks for those beautiful photos Tsarevitch.

Maybe it will be like Diana's gown...when I first saw it I hated it soo much and was so disappointed. It looked like a big crumpled mess.

But as the years have gone by I have come to understand what the designers were trying for, and I like and appreciate Diana's gown more. It's really quite beautiful, if only Diana had filled it out more and a different material had been used it would have been perfect.

Maybe the same will happen with Mabel's gown...I will like it better in about 20 years!
Old 03-16-2011, 10:00 PM
Aristocracy

The Amazing Train.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsarevitch View Post

The amazing train:

Thank you Tsarevitch, for the link to Maxima's Gorgeous Train. It's just so beautiful and I also love the Divine Veil. I think that Princess Maxima's veil is one of the most beautiful.
Regards,
Angelique.

Old 03-17-2011, 05:23 PM

My favourite dresses

1.Grace Kelly

2.Soraya

3.Queen Rania

Not the best
1. Letizia

2. Mabel

3. Diana
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wedding--a.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	276460   Click image for larger version

Name:	Shah_Reza_with_Shahbanu_Soraya,_1951.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	276461   Click image for larger version

Name:	grace_kelly_prince_r_wedding.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	276462  
Old 03-17-2011, 05:44 PM
Heir Apparent

My favorites are:

1. The Princess Royal

2. Princess Margaret

3. Princess Mabel

4. CP Victoria

5. Duchess of York

6. and, hopefully, Charlene of Monaco
Old 03-17-2011, 06:20 PM
Royal Highness

After Fabiola's gown there is nothing. Grace was quite spectacular but in the actual construction of the gown Fabiola in Balenciaga wins for timelessness and haute couture.Fabiola had the figure to wear that masterpiece.
Old 03-18-2011, 07:42 PM
Heir Apparent

Queen Fabiola was before my time, but when I first saw her gown in full effect it took my breath away.

Shimmering white satin,dropped waist lined with ermine, and then a 20 foot train also lined with ermine(I think she held the record for longest train before Lady Diana came along in 1981 and topped it!)

Then the luminous full floor length veil under the Diadem of the Nine Provinces to complete the look. Balenciaga simply outdid himself!

Even though it is now slightly yellowed(it is on view at the Balenciaga Museum in Madrid) it is still as regal as ever fifty years on...the ultimate, majestic Royal winter wedding gown imo.
Old 03-23-2011, 03:42 AM
Aristocracy

Queen Fabiola

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
Queen Fabiola was before my time, but when I first saw her gown in full effect it took my breath away.

Shimmering white satin,dropped waist lined with ermine, and then a 20 foot train also lined with ermine(I think she held the record for longest train before Lady Diana came along in 1981 and topped it!)

Then the luminous full floor length veil under the Diadem of the Nine Provinces to complete the look. Balenciaga simply outdid himself!

Even though it is now slightly yellowed(it is on view at the Balenciaga Museum in Madrid) it is still as regal as ever fifty years on...the ultimate, majestic Royal winter wedding gown imo.
Dear Moonmaiden,
I could not agree more. I am of "adult" age, hence I remember seeing the wedding on TV and the photo's in the magazines. Like you, it took my breath away too. It is simply stunning and So very Majestic and yet feminine and elegant. Thanks for reminding us.
Do you have the link to the Museum in Madrid by any chance?

Old 03-23-2011, 03:01 PM
Heir Apparent

Hi Angelique, no I do not have the link to the Balenciaga Museum...but if you go into the "Baudouin and Fabiola Wedding" thread there is a photo of the gown in the Museum as it appears today...it is no longer pure white, it's yellowed.

But still very beautiful.
Old 03-23-2011, 03:20 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelique View Post
Dear Moonmaiden,

I could not agree more. I am of "adult" age, hence I remember seeing the wedding on TV and the photo's in the magazines. Like you, it took my breath away too. It is simply stunning and So very Majestic and yet feminine and elegant. Thanks for reminding us.
Do you have the link to the Museum in Madrid by any chance?

How old do you have to be to be an adult? I will be thirty in just over a month, and I am too young to remember Princess Diana's wedding as I was a baby when it happened. I haven't been called a teen in a long time.

Tags
bride, fashion, royal weddings, royal weddings; royal wedding dresses, wedding dress