Best Royal Brides & Wedding Dresses

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
CP Mary's sketch is indeed beautiful, one of the most beautiful imo.

It's why it's so frustrating that I consider the actual gown one of the worst...it simply did not translate well at all, imo.

Here is an updated post on royal wedding gown sketches:

Diana, Princess of Wales
Queen Elizabeth II
HGD Stephanie
Princess Grace
Princess Charlene 2
Princess Margaret
Crown Princess Mette-Marit
Crown Princess Mary
Princess Anne
The Queen Mother
Princess Madeleine
Crown Princess Marie-Chantal
Queen Maxima

Maxima's wedding sketch is simply beautiful and exquisite like her gown. Even though I do not like Marie-Chantal's gown, I think the sketch is beautiful.

HGD Stephanie, Queen Maxima, and CP Marie-Chantal all have stunning sketches and gowns to go with -they look just like them. LOVE!

She's first prize for me as well. She was simply beyond beautiful, no one has been able to top her imo.

I don't like Maxima's sketch very much but the finished gown is just so stunning...one of my Top Three Royal Brides!

Last edited:
Here is an updated post on royal wedding gown sketches:

Diana, Princess of Wales
Queen Elizabeth II
HGD Stephanie
Princess Grace
Princess Charlene 2
Princess Margaret
Crown Princess Mette-Marit
Crown Princess Mary
Princess Anne
The Queen Mother
Princess Madeleine
Crown Princess Marie-Chantal
Queen Maxima

Maxima's wedding sketch is simply beautiful and exquisite like her gown. Even though I do not like Marie-Chantal's gown, I think the sketch is beautiful.

My favourite wedding sketch here is HGD Stephanie's, I really like the long flowing train and the leafy pattern. Crown Princess Mette-Marit and Princess Charlene's sketches are also lovely. I like Princess Grace's sketch but it's not my favourite (the same goes for Diana's).

NGalitzine, you are right that by itself Grace's gown might not be that impressive(I personally think it's exquisite) but the overall effect on Grace Kelly herself was just gorgeous. Another more recent example is HRH Princess Madeleine. Very pretty dress but nothing special. On Madde, it became memorable because of the the bride herself, her face, her hair, the way the gown looked on her all came together.

I hope I am making sense.

Any woman can wear a pretty bridal gown, but that will not necessarily make her a memorable bride.

My favourite wedding sketch here is HGD Stephanie's, I really like the long flowing train and the leafy pattern . . . .
I am amazed at how Stephanie's "long flowing train" depicted in a drawing actually translated to a truly fabulous and near unique train in reality. Just stunning!

NGalitzine, you are right that by itself Grace's gown might not be that impressive(I personally think it's exquisite) but the overall effect on Grace Kelly herself was just gorgeous. Another more recent example is HRH Princess Madeleine. Very pretty dress but nothing special. On Madde, it became memorable because of the the bride herself, her face, her hair, the way the gown looked on her all came together.

I hope I am making sense.

Any woman can wear a pretty bridal gown, but that will not necessarily make her a memorable bride.

I completely agree Moonmaiden, it is a package deal to be sure. You could have the most exquisitely designed and made gown that can look hideous on the wrong person. It is indeed as you say I think, Grace made that gown more exquisite, elegant and timeless.:in_love:

My favourite wedding sketch here is HGD Stephanie's, I really like the long flowing train and the leafy pattern . . . .
I am amazed at how Stephanie's "long flowing train" depicted in a drawing actually translated to a truly fabulous and near unique train in reality. Just stunning!

I think Stephanie's gown was stunning as well, especially the train (I'm going to update my post in the "which royal wedding gown would you wear?" thread and add Stephanie's to my list).

Stephanie's train was one of the great things about her gown. It was regal and stunning...it really made her look like a ROYAL bride, imo. And like Princess Grace's it translated well from the sketch.

Stephanie and Maxima are tied for #2 on my "Best" list!

For the first time, the Grand Ducal Palace of Luxembourg has put HGD Stephanie's magnificent bridal gown on public display...WOW! :whistling::whistling:

Luxarazzi

The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Wedding Wednesday: July Brides

My only all time favorite here is Sarah, Duchess of York's gown. I would not wear them but I like Charlene, Queen Mary, Lady Sarah Chatto, Lady Helen, Lady Rose, and Zeina's gowns. The worst for me are, Marie-Chantal, Stephanie, Birgitte, and Diana's gowns. The rest of the dresses are either boring or unimpressive to me.

Last edited:
I think my all time favorite July bride is Princess Charlene, she looked sooo amazing and ethereal that day. :whistling:

Sarah Ferguson is also a favorite but photos don't really do her gown the justice that video does, and I didn't like Sarah's veil(really flimsy looking) nor that flower pot she stuck at the top of her head.

Zarah Phillip's dress was awful, awful, imo.:ohmy:

Last edited:
Hey just for some fun I would like to know what is everyone's favorite royal wedding gown from 2010(Victoria) to 2013 (Madeleine). No Maxima no Diana! 2010-2013 only. I honestly have no idea how many there are.
For me it's
1. Stephanie of Luxembourg
2. Catherine Duchess of Cambridge
3. Princess Basma Al Atoum
4. Victoria of Sweeden
5. Charlene of Monaco
6. Princess Maria Carolina
7. Princess Felipa (kind of a copy of Kate's)
8. Zeina Shaban
9. Princess Nathalie
10. Princess Madeleine

Hey just for some fun I would like to know what is everyone's favorite royal wedding gown from 2010(Victoria) to 2013 (Madeleine). No Maxima no Diana! 2010-2013 only. I honestly have no idea how many there are.
For me it's
4. Victoria of Sweeden
5. Charlene of Monaco
8. Zeina Shaban
9. Princess Nathalie
10. Princess Madeleine

How fun!!! Mine:

1. Victoria of Sweden - love everything about her
2. Maria Carolina - gorgeous lace and beautiful, colorful bouquet
3. Stephanie of Luxembourg - enchanting, unexpected and absolutely gorgeous

4. Princess Madeleine - totally unexpected and fairytailish (is that a word?)
5. Duchess of Cambridge
6. Princess Basma - love the color and so pretty
7. Sophie of Prussia - I am in the minority here, I know, but I feel the dress just perfectly suited her! I like the heirloom lace and symbolism of the cut
8. Charlene of Monaco
9. Jetsun of Bhutan - one of the most beautiful women I have ever seen
10. Tatiana of Greece

For me it's
4. Victoria of Sweeden
5. Charlene of Monaco
8. Zeina Shaban
9. Princess Nathalie
10. Princess Madeleine

Great idea, XC! Here are mine-

1) Stephanie of Luxembourg
2)Charlene of Monaco
3)Victoria of Sweden
4)Catherine Duchess of Cambridge(even though it's almost a complete knock-off of Isabelle Orsini's from the previous year!)
5)Princess Madeleine
6)Princess Maria Carolina

The rest of them either didn't register, or didn't make an impression one way or the other-

Last edited:
The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Wedding Wednesday: August Brides

Without a doubt, Mette-Marit is my favorite august bride! Her gown will always be one of my all time favorites. Anita's gown is beautiful but not a favorite of mine. Queen Sonja's gown is nice but nothing special in my opinion. And finally, Tatiana and Sophie's gowns are the worst for me.

Last edited:
My favorite August bride is also Mette-Marit. It took some time for me to like her dress because at first I found it rather severe. I also cannot understand why she at least did not put on some lipstick.

But it's definitely an elegant and beautiful dress. I also love Princess Sarvath's gown...gorgeous!

My least favorite are Sophie's and Tatiana's. I was particularly surprised by Tatiana, because she is such a beautiful woman and as a former model I expected her to hit a home run with her bridal dress. :sad:

Last edited:
Maria Carolina's dress registered in my memory even though it was probably the first picture of her I have seen. It was light and floated. That is what I like in most wedding gowns. It's why I like Tessy's dress and a Princess Alice's pink dress--light, floaty. The others were beautiful (those I've seen, which is not all) but on your list of gowns from 2010, Maria Carolina registered with me, but I also liked the dress of someone you did not mention, the Winter Princess Adelaide who married a Habsburg Grand Duke last winter. I like white fur, especially when it is synthetic and has not harmed a bunny.

Princess mette marit was such a lovely bride simple but classic

I don't know if I'm alone in this, but I feel like Kate's dress is already not holding up over time. I loved it when she first wore it but looking back on it, it's so heavy, both in material and look. (the work itself is exquisite though) Maybe it's my taste that has shifted but not sure whetever Kate's dress will be timeless 50 years from now.

Why can't I find any pictures of Maria Carolina? Everyone is talking about her dress, but I am not seeing it on the August brides list. ;(

I don't know if I'm alone in this, but I feel like Kate's dress is already not holding up over time. I loved it when she first wore it but looking back on it, it's so heavy, both in material and look. (the work itself is exquisite though) Maybe it's my taste that has shifted but not sure whetever Kate's dress will be timeless 50 years from now.

I'm just the opposite. I wasn't that impressed when I first saw it(even though I think she looked great in it). In photos from the front especially it looks very mundane.

But the more I see it recently-especially from the side and from behind-I think it looks beautiful. It really looks almost completely different on video than it does in photos.

I completely understand that you doubt it will be a timeless dress. The media can over-hype anything they want and that is exactly what they did with Kate's dress. It would have happened with anything she had worn.

USCtrojan-Maria Carolina is not an August bride. You can see photos of her dress on this site, or you can Google it.

Last edited:
The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Wedding Wednesday: May Brides

My favorites here are, Margaret, Sofia, Mary, and Letizia's gowns. Don't really have a worst here but the rest of these gowns don't really impress me.

I keep changing my mind when it comes to Mary and Letizia's gowns. Right now I really dislike them, so there are one of my least favorites here. Therfore Sofia's and Margaret's gowns are my only favorite royal May brides. Anyway, I think Autumn's gown is boring and uninteresting, and I find Laurentien's gown unique and interesting but I don't love it. I don't like the coat but I do like Martha-Louise's wedding dress underneath, and I would have loved Marie's gown if the waist was not low. And finally, I like Marilene's gown but I would not wear it.

The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Wedding Wednesday: September Brides

My only favorite here is definitely Queen Anne-Marie's gown! Her gown was timeless, romantic, and simply beautiful. It is of course one of my all time favorite royal wedding dresses.

I thought Tessy's gown was nice but boring. I especially dislike that she wore a strapless wedding dress. I really dislike Clotilde's sleeves, and the rest of the dress is just boring. I would have loved Sibilla's gown if it did not have that ruffle. I like Olga's gown as a costume but definitely not as a wedding dress. To me, Katherine, Margarita, and Maria's gowns are uninteresting and boring. And finally, Astrid and Sophie's gowns are the worst here. Just horrible!

Last edited:
I thought Tessy looked sweet. I agree about Sibilla's gown - get rid of the dust ruffle and it is pretty! Astrid - wow. sleeves. Um, it was the 80's but seriously, she could have taken flight by flapping her arms with those sleeves. Sophie's dress looks cheap and outdated. Anne Marie - perfect. Katherine of Serbia always makes me smile, she looks so happy all the time. Clothide - no. Hate the shoes too. Olga is so intriguing so I like it for the originality. Great thread!

Back
Top Bottom