Best Royal Brides & Wedding Dresses

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:previous:
I have always loved Princess Charlotte's wedding gown. It is almost like a work of art, not just a dress.

for me of course that from grace kelly and princess noor of jordan

Another restrospective:

splendor.blogspot.com/2013/04/wedding-wednesday-april-brides.html

Here are various sketches of royal wedding gowns:

Diana, Princess of Wales
Princess Grace
Princess Charlene
Queen Elizabeth II
Princess Margaret
Crown Princess Mette-Marit
Crown Princess Mary
Princess Anne
The Queen Mother
HGD Stephanie

Grace, Mette-Marit, and Stephanie's are simply beautiful. Really wish we could see Crown Princess Victoria and Catherine's wedding dress sketches.

The sketches seem to always be more beautiful than on the bride. I think I know why...the sketches appear on elongated, highly idealized figures. Real life might perhaps lose something in translation. For example that sketch of CP Mary of Denmark's dress is just beautiful, but I don't think it translated well on her at all. :sad:

HGD Stephanie's sketch simply takes my breath away...truly incredible gown.

I feel the only sketched that were worse than the real things were Elizabeth II and Mette Marits. MMs sketch didn't capture any of the beauty and floating cloud factor that the actual dress encompassed. Stephanie's sketch is better than the real thing but I think it would be hard to actually create a dress that could be that breathtaking.
Some sketches of Diana's dress are much better than the real thing, but the one posted isn't one of them.

The sketches seem to always be more beautiful than on the bride. I think I know why...the sketches appear on elongated, highly idealized figures. Real life might perhaps lose something in translation. For example that sketch of CP Mary of Denmark's dress is just beautiful, but I don't think it translated well on her at all. :sad:

HGD Stephanie's sketch simply takes my breath away...truly incredible gown.

Completely agree with you on Stephanie's gown! Just stunning and takes your breath away! It looks just like hers as well! Where as the others don't really look like it.

I think Princess Grace's sketch translated beautifully...it looked almost exactly that way on her figure. Princess Margaret's too.

Grace and Stephanie's sketches are not only the most beautiful, I think their actual bridal gowns are as well.

List updates with a bit of juggling. The sketches were lovely!

My top dresses
1. Princess Margaret
2. Princess Victoria or Princess Charlene of Monaco
3. Grace Kelly or Grand Duchess Stephanie de lannoy (she was regal and stunning)
4. Princess Marie of Denmark - simple and clean, but romantic
5. Princess Claire of Belgium - beautifully understated, although a bit boring
6. Diana Spencer - still love it tbh, but I wish it was trimmer now

Mentions
Princess Alexandra of Kent - It's not new but I loved the simplicity
Pippa Middleton bridesmaid dress - Not a wedding dress, but it was amazing on her
Marie-Chantal - shifted down from favorites
Princess Anne - shifted up from least-favorites
Mette-Marit - I appreciate their aesthetics, but a little too plain overall

My bottom dresses
1. Princess Mabel of Orange-Nassau - added from this thread
2. Rania, Letizia or Mathilde
3. Sophie Rhys-Jones
4. Mary Donaldson or Princess Fabiola of Belgium - just some design quirks they would've been better off without

Most beautiful:
Princess Haya of Jordan
Queen Mother
Autumn Kelly
Queen Maxima

Worst:
Princess Mabel
Crown Princess Letizia
Countess of Wessex

Most gorgeous May brides...Princess Margaret(none of the others can touch her) and Queen Sofia.

CP Mary, CP Letizia and especially Autumn Kelly were awful,imo.

Most beautiful:
Princess Grace - traditional (I love long sleeves!!), elegant and fairytale-like. This is the stuff of icons..it served as the perfect transition from movie star to royal.
Princess Margaret - so simple yet elegant
Queen Fabiola - Masterpiece!!
Princess Claire -the dress, the veil and the bouquet: Beautiful!
Empress Farah

Not the best:
Diana,Princess of Wales
Queen Noor - too plain
Queen Rania - it looked like a costume
Princess Letizia - don't like the collar

Last edited:
I thought Letizia was gorgeous!

The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Wedding Wednesday: June Brides

My number one favorite here is Victoria's gown! Other favorites of mine are, Queen Margrethe, and Carolina's dresses. Not all time favorites but I do like Katharine, and Madeleine's dresses. The worst here for me are, Rania, Nathalie, Silvia, Sophie, Princess Christina of the Netherlands, and Princess Caroline's gowns. I find the rest of the gowns uninteresting or boring.

Princess Madeleine the most beautiful and elegant Royal Bride.

I do think the Scandinavians know how to host a great wedding and choose some interesting gowns! I think last time, I said Maxima's wedding dress was the best, but I still can't help thinking Victoria's was the epitome of what a real-life princess should wear on her wedding day.

Whoa...I can't decide on most beautiful Royal June bride.

It's a THREE WAY TOSS UP between the Duchess of Kent, CP Victoria and Princess Madeleine. :whistling:

All three were simply stunning.

Princess Madeleine wins it for absolute beauty. Her gown was 'okay' but the neckline, hair, makeup, tiara and veil made a beautiful young woman absolutely exquisite.

Princess Madeleine wins it for absolute beauty. Her gown was 'okay' but the neckline, hair, makeup, tiara and veil made a beautiful young woman absolutely exquisite.

I agree with this 100%. Madeleine's gown is not my favorite, from the neck up she was simply stunning. She is overall one of my Top Ten Royal Brides. :)

The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Wedding Wednesday: June Brides

My favourite dresses from the list of royal "June brides" are Princess Désirée of Sweden and CP Victoria! Simple,feminine,lovely details and the Cameo tiara +lace veil are absolutely adorable :)
What I particularly like about Victoria´s gown is the simplicity-it is not so overloaded with lace and frilly stuff like other wedding dresses. I do like lace a lot,but somehow the minimal and well-tailored dress she has worn for her wedding suits her personality much better.

Best:
CP Mette Marit
HSH Princess Grace of Monaco
Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge

Worst:
Sophie, Countess of Wessex
Princess Mabel

Special Award for best wedding day tiara goes to Princess Margaret.

The most beautiful :

Crown Princess Mary of Denmark
Princess Stephanie of Luxembourg
Queen Elizabeth
Princess Diana
Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden

The most beautiful :

Crown Princess Mary of Denmark
Princess Stephanie of Luxembourg
Queen Elizabeth
Princess Diana
Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden

all were beautiful

I am going to wait until Prince Felix marries Claire Lademacher in September to do another revision of my Most Beautiful Royal Brides list. But for now it's definitely still Princess Grace at #1, with Stephanie of Luxembourg and Maxima of the Netherlands tied at #2.

Princess Madeleine will certainly have a spot somewhere on the new list too. :whistling:

Most beautiful

1-Queen Maxima
2-Princess Stephanie of Luxembourg
3-CP Letizia
4-Princess Madeleine
5-Princess Marie of Denmark

Best:
1-Princess Madeleine of Sweden (She floated down the aisle; exquisite!)
2-Diana, Princess of Wales (For most dramatic dress; grand enough for the occasion and the venue.)
3-Tie between CP Mette-Merit of Norway and CP Victoria (On dress alone I'd give it to M-M; for sheer radiance, it's hard to beat Victoria.)
4-Lady Sarah Chatto (Timeless elegance; gorgeous flowers.)
5-Princess Grace (The gown was gorgeous, but I think it was her personal beauty that makes this such a favourite, IMHO.)

Worst:
1-The Princess of the Asturias (Letizia of Spain - I loathed the collar; beautiful woman, but the gown wore her.)
2-CP Mary of Denmark (The train at the back looked as though it were stapled on.)
3-Duchess of Cambridge (Biggest let-down in my long Royal watching career; I hated the way the veil stuck to her face, too.)
4-Princess Mabel of the Netherlands (Bows, bows, and more bows.)
5-The Princess Royal of the UK to Mark Phillips (The gown looked stiff and the fabric had no beauty, IMO.)

Back
Top Bottom