The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-23-2010, 06:46 PM
Heir Presumptive
Royal Blogger

Victoria's dress was really beautifully - the simple dress was a perfect match for the lace veil and the cameo tiara. I really like the off-shoulder neckline and the waistline. I always imagined her wearing a simple dress as it suited her style perfectly.

Mette-Marit and Victoria went for the most simple dresses - their dresses will stand the test of time and will be models for future royal brides. Sometimes choosing the simple understated look is better

Old 06-25-2010, 04:22 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Her_Majesty View Post
Personally I adore the style of Victoria's dress. It was simple, but so elegant the same time. It was quite a wise choice to decide to wear a simple dress with the detailed veil and impressive tiara. I loved the cut of the dress and the way it moved when she walked. The colour was also very nice and I liked the way it shone in the sun.
The style was perfect for Victoria. Imo the dress really was a reflection of her personality. Somehow I could not have imagined any other style on her.
I am with you on this one...I thought her gown and her entire look were beyond perfection...understated, elegant..REGAL.

CP Victoria is now one of my top five Royal brides of all time, and her wedding is my choice for most beautiful, along with Baudouin and Fabiola of Belgium in 1960.

Old 07-15-2010, 11:36 PM
Royal Highness

Do you think the most beautiful and most becoming to the royal wedding and a wedding to which the Crown Princess?
CP Victoria is now also among the options.
We wonder if the selection and ranking.

Options : order of wedding date

Mathilde
Mette-Marit
Maxima
Mary
Letizia
Victoria
Old 07-24-2010, 04:09 AM

Smile

I love this dress and look like royal wedding dress...
Old 07-24-2010, 06:21 AM
Commoner

for dresses:
mette marit
maxima
mathilde
victoria
letizia
mary
for the way to be:
victoria was the best one by far!!
Old 07-28-2010, 01:41 PM
Nobility

Reading this thread- it seems like many of us like dresses that we think "suit" the bride who wore them. For instance- I would not choose Princess Victoria's dress for myself or my daughter, but I thought it looked fantastic on her, especially with the veil and tiara that is tradition for the brides in her family. I think the same is true for Princess Mette-Marit as her dress seemed to capture the modern simplicity that defines her.

It is also interesting- many of the gowns admired in this discussion are ones that were simple and elegant. Is that our preference for a royal bride or are we influenced by current fashion? If the fussy ballgowns of the early 1980s come back in fashion, will we prefer those styles again?!
Old 07-28-2010, 02:33 PM
Aristocracy

I think one is not so much influenced by fashion in royal brides. A "fashionable bride" would not choose a dress like Viktorias or Letizias, they seem to ceremonial in a way. That seems to be the problem some people her have with Viktorias dress. It is "plain". But it does not have to look princessy, because there actually is a Crown Princess inside! One that wants to be seen, rather than showing off her dress. When she is on a public mission she does have a clothes style that I find simple but chic on her, but I would not call it fashionable. Though I could immagine that she inspires young professional women with it.
Oh and by the way: I still LOVE the wedding dress of Princess Diana. But one has to be very young to pull it off, and maybe forget about the puffy sleeves.
Old 07-28-2010, 03:09 PM
Nobility

Thanks, Lorette- you raise a really good point. Clothing, for royal women, is part of the way they approach their job. Just like I wear a suit when I have to make a presentation, the royals choose clothing for official duties that certainly is fashionable, but has a larger purpose.

This raises a great question- should a royal wedding dress be more about ceremony and duty than about individual or personal style? Or, should personal style be more important? Is this different for a crown princess than for other princesses or a young woman marrying into a royal family?

I am very interested in your thoughts!
Old 07-28-2010, 03:31 PM
Super Moderator

It's interesting what Lorette and Shelo say above, because I think we do have to remember that a royal wedding is an historical event in the same way that a coronation or inauguration/crowning is. As such, the design of the royal wedding dress must incorporate elements of the wearer's personal style and wishes, together with choosing something that suits her and ultimately of course being mindful of the ceremony and history attached to the event.

I think that the issue is very different for a royal born princesses than for a woman marrying in to royalty. I've mentioned somewhere else that I think some of the royal wedding dress designers for brides marrying into royalty have "tried too hard" to create something regal enough, memorable and fashionable all at the same time, and although they will have taken into consideration the bride's personal wishes, they will have influenced their own ideas onto her - not least of all because for most of these brides it will have been the first couture outfit made especially for them. With Victoria, born and bred royal, she will have been able to influence the design far more and her perspective will have been more natural for the occassion as couture clothing will probably have formed a large proportion of her wardrobe already.
Old 07-28-2010, 04:21 PM
Aristocracy

I think it is certainly different for a future queen. And it depends on the status of the Royals. The british royals are different from the ones in Monacco, for example. The later seem to enjoy a bit more circus and show. I think that a royal wedding of a crown prince or princess is a formal, state event. CP Viktoria said in one interview: "it has been decided that our wedding is going to be a state affair" and gave this "we-don't-need-it-but-what-can-you-do" look.
And ny young commoner woman who marries so high up into a royal family might want to consider that she is on an official mission and not on her privat most beautiful day dream. Especially someone not brought up in the public eye would want maybe to appear more formal to protect themselves from the everstaring eyes of the public and the press. I have a feeling that the big glasses of Prince Daniel have that function. (wearing glasses myself I know that they can give one a feeling of sheltering one's privacy) I think it is a thin line between being emotionally moved oneself and to know that every step one takes is being scrutinized by people much more versed in protocoll themselves, plus the never entirely trustworthy press.
I wonder then if the court protocoll has something to say in it as well. The dress from Cinderellas foto is very lovely, but a bit Cinderella, or Barbie style. It is what girls who wanna be princesses dream of, but not really what is worn by princesses. Their dresses seem to be long-sleeved and much less playfull.
CP Viktoria in fact seemed to me to be perfectly in charge of the situation, she was not just a bride, but a crownprincess on a public mission.
Old 07-28-2010, 05:52 PM
Aristocracy

the best wedding dresses:-
1- princess grace kelly
2- princess victoria
3- princess mette-marit
4- lady helen windsor and sarah armstrong also wore very nice wedding dresses.

the worst:
1- princess caroline (with felipe junot)
2- queen silvia
3- duchess camilla (if it is considered one!!!)
Old 07-28-2010, 07:50 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Her_Majesty View Post
A look-back at the wedding gowns of the Crown Princesses

1999 - Princess Mathilde
2001 - Princess Mette-Marit
2002 - Princess Máxima
2004 - Princess Mary
2004 - Princess Letizia
2010 - Princess Victoria

(Scanpix, ppe, anp)
They all look beautiful, in their own way.
But my favorite is Victoria's, Letizia's and Mary's dress. Guess that comes with me liking those three ladies style.
Old 07-29-2010, 04:23 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindrella View Post

I love this dress and look like royal wedding dress...

That is a VERY beautful gown indeed...who is the designer? I love it!
Old 07-29-2010, 04:32 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinderella5x View Post
They all look beautiful, in their own way.
But my favorite is Victoria's, Letizia's and Mary's dress. Guess that comes with me liking those three ladies style.
Maxima's veil is one of the most beautiful I have ever seen in my life...and I didn't care much for Mathilde's gown, but her face reminds me of a Botticelli angel...she was a truly radiant bride!
Old 07-29-2010, 02:16 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknch View Post
It's interesting what Lorette and Shelo say above, because I think we do have to remember that a royal wedding is an historical event in the same way that a coronation or inauguration/crowning is. As such, the design of the royal wedding dress must incorporate elements of the wearer's personal style and wishes, together with choosing something that suits her and ultimately of course being mindful of the ceremony and history attached to the event.

I think that the issue is very different for a royal born princesses than for a woman marrying in to royalty. I've mentioned somewhere else that I think some of the royal wedding dress designers for brides marrying into royalty have "tried too hard" to create something regal enough, memorable and fashionable all at the same time, and although they will have taken into consideration the bride's personal wishes, they will have influenced their own ideas onto her - not least of all because for most of these brides it will have been the first couture outfit made especially for them. With Victoria, born and bred royal, she will have been able to influence the design far more and her perspective will have been more natural for the occassion as couture clothing will probably have formed a large proportion of her wardrobe already.
Well said. I agree- and have always felt badly for Princess Victoria because it was clear that her wedding would always be a state occasion strongly influenced by ceremony.

And an interesting point-There must be incredible pressure for women marrying into royal families to "look the part" on their wedding day, especially for those marrying crown princes. Looking back, I think Mette-Marit, Maxima and Mathilde all found a perfect balance of both personal style and "royal" expectations. While some did not like Mathilde's dress, it certainly suited her style, a style that we now know is quite elegant. I did not personally like Mary's dress or the way the incredible Danish lace wedding veil was attached to her hair, but it was sufficiently "royal" and certainly captured her modern style.

I think the least successful wedding dress in the group of young European crown princesses was Letizia. While the dress was beautiful, the tulip cut of the skirt into the train did not flow well when she walked and the large collar, sleeves and volume of the dress overpowered her very small frame. I think Caprille really missed the mark and designed a dress that was more royal than it was suitable for her.

Thinking about this, I can only imagine the pressure that Charlene is under to deliver the "perfect" royal dress. I am happy not to be in her shoes!
Old 07-29-2010, 02:23 PM
Imperial Majesty

After Victoria´s wedding the best dresses to me are:
1. Victoria (by far the best)
2. Letizia
3. Mette-Marit
Old 09-12-2010, 10:14 PM
Gentry

Best:
1-) Princess Grace
2-) Queen Elizabeth II
3-) Princess Victoria of Sweden (elegant and simple)
4-) Princess Mathilde
5-) Maxima of the Netherlands (regal)
6-) Grand Duchess Maria Theresa (i like the fluffy parts)
Worst:
1-) Princess Mary of Denmark (didn't liked the skirt and train)
2-) Princess Nikolaus of Greece (Tatiana Blaktnik. too much lace)
3-) Mabel (too much bows and the veil was hideous)
4-) Diana, Princess of Wales (too puffy, but her tiara is one of the best so far)
5-) Letizia of Spain (too big for her. practically the dress was swallowing her)
6-) Princess Astrid of Belgium
Old 09-12-2010, 11:27 PM
Nobility

So many to choose from:

1- Princess Victoria
2- Princess Mathilde
3- Princess Maxima
4- Queen Sonja
5- Princess Grace

The worst for me

1 Princess Mary of Denamrk
2 Letizia of Spain
3 Mabel of the Netherlands
4 Diana of wales
Old 09-18-2010, 01:20 AM
Commoner

Best dresses:
Maxima of Netherlands (regal and lovely train)
Letizia of Spain (elegant and very queenly)
Diana Wales (to me she looked beautiful and angelical)
Queen Margrethe of Denmark (regal)
Claire of Belgium (beautiful off the shoulder dress and veil)
Marie of Denmark (now that's a royal modern bride!)
Infanta Cristina (beautiful off the shoulder dress and hair.)
Pr. Anne (first marriage)
Mette Marit (beautiful cloudy dress)

Worst dresses:
Sophie Winkleman (tacky, sorry)
Mabel of Netherlands (omg those bows!.....)
Mary of Denmark (hair and dress were a big disappointment)
Tatiana Blatnik(lace, lace and MORE LACE!)
Victoria of Sweden (boring dress, flowers and tiara)
Queen Sylvia (again, boring!)
Autumn Philips (normal dress, no imagination.)
Sophie of Wessex (was too big and her necklace boring)

And the list goes on and on.. I hope Charlene Wittstock chooses a beautiful dress.
Old 09-24-2010, 12:50 AM
Royal Highness

Cool

I liked Mette-Marit's, Maxima's, Crown Princess Victoria's and Queen Elizabeth's gowns the best.

Tags
bride, fashion, royal weddings, royal weddings; royal wedding dresses, wedding dress