Old 04-28-2010, 07:59 AM
Serene Highness

1. Mary
2. Sarah, Duchess of York
3. Princess Margaret
4. Viscountess Linley

Old 04-28-2010, 08:42 AM
Aristocracy

My favorite would be Sarah, Duchess of York. It was not as classicly beautiful as some of the others. But to me it showed her personality just perfectly.

Old 05-05-2010, 07:35 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by principessa View Post
Hellomagazine.com has a gallery with 12 royal brides and her fairytale wedding dresses:

Royal brides: The fairytale wedding dresses worn by real-life princesses

Is it just me, or do most of the dresses look exactly the same? They all look like Queen Silvia's wedding gown.

But to me, the best dressed royal bride has to be hands down, Grace Kelly. Her dress was beautiful and elegant. A lot of the newer royal brides do not compare.
Old 05-05-2010, 09:49 PM
Heir Presumptive

Hands down Grace Kelly had the best dress closely followed by Diana. But from the current CP's I'd have to say that Maxima had the best dress then Mary, Marie and MM. I really loved the lace sleeves on Marie's dress but I prefer the cut/style of Maxima's.
Old 05-06-2010, 04:45 AM
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownPrincess5 View Post
Is it just me, or do most of the dresses look exactly the same? They all look like Queen Silvia's wedding gown.
I guess it's just you , because I don't see any similarities with Queen Silvia's gown at all.

Silvia's gown had a very simple neckline which was very unique... I think only Princess Aimee chose a similar one. The cut of the dress was also very simple and less waisted then the dresses of the younger generation of brides. Most of them used to have much more details on their dresses and also quite different necklines.

Old 05-06-2010, 11:15 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Her_Majesty View Post
I guess it's just you , because I don't see any similarities with Queen Silvia's gown at all.

Silvia's gown had a very simple neckline which was very unique... I think only Princess Aimee chose a similar one. The cut of the dress was also very simple and less waisted then the dresses of the younger generation of brides. Most of them used to have much more details on their dresses and also quite different necklines.

You don't see it? What I meant was most of their dresses, especially Mette Marit, and Mary's, were very plain to the point where they almost looked like Silvias dress. Look at all of their overall gowns and not the meticulous details like necklines
Old 05-07-2010, 12:29 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by principessa View Post
Hellomagazine.com has a gallery with 12 royal brides and her fairytale wedding dresses:

Royal brides: The fairytale wedding dresses worn by real-life princesses
i was surprise they did not include princess Diana
Old 05-07-2010, 03:12 PM
Royal Highness

In my mind the best are always being played out between Grace; Princess Elizabeth; Fabiola and Letizia of Spain with the Duchess of Windsor as an honorable mention.
I also luved the gown of a noble called Fiametta Frescobaldi whose wedding Charles attended.
Old 05-07-2010, 06:36 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
You don't see it? What I meant was most of their dresses, especially Mette Marit, and Mary's, were very plain to the point where they almost looked like Silvias dress. Look at all of their overall gowns and not the meticulous details like necklines
Silvia's gown was from the seventies by Dior and like Farah Diba's by Givenchy at the ceremonies on in Persia they were cut on very straight lines emphasizing great simplicity.Couture had almost become lost at the time with what they were sporting.However I must admit that Silvia did look resplendent on her magic day. I wonder if Princess Victoria will wear her mother's dress?
Old 05-13-2010, 04:24 AM
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Sorry, but I still don't agree. Yes, Mary's dress looks a little similar regarding the fabric and the colour of the dress. But the rest is completely different: the cut of the top part of the dress; the cut of the skirt and the details on it.
MM's dress is even more different. The fabric is completely different which makes the dress look less heavier then Silvia's. The colour is different; the cut of the dress; the train... just everything.

Silvia's gown - Mary's gown - Mette's gown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaya
I wonder if Princess Victoria will wear her mother's dress?
No, she won't.

Old 05-13-2010, 06:23 AM
Nobility

When looking at all wedding dresses I liked most the one of CP Mathilde - i think it really supported her classical good looks.
Letizia had something similar but she got lost under the dress and the veil....
MM was beautiful - but very simple. Marys - I can not decide yet.
I do not like Maximas dress - I think it was too boring simple for her -looked like 70ies instead of modern simplicity....
I don't like Sophies - strange medivial approach...

I hope Victoria will stay with the style she has discovered over the past years, which I think is really fitting her well. AND I hope - no Cameo tiara
Old 05-13-2010, 10:57 AM
Courtier

My favourites are the dresses of Grace of Monaco (not strictly a royal bride) Chantal of Greece, Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall which I thought really beautiful for a bride who was not young and on her second marriage, and also I thought that Sarah when she married Prince Andrew had a gorgeous dress.
The worst? Princess Kalina, that was dreadful and I am afraid Diana´s, yards and yards of crushed silk but she still managed to look beautiful. Mabel´s dress is much criticised but I rather liked it and there is no doubt it was unique.
Old 05-13-2010, 11:38 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Sorry, but I still don't agree. Yes, Mary's dress looks a little similar regarding the fabric and the colour of the dress. But the rest is completely different: the cut of the top part of the dress; the cut of the skirt and the details on it.
MM's dress is even more different. The fabric is completely different which makes the dress look less heavier then Silvia's. The colour is different; the cut of the dress; the train... just everything.

Silvia's gown - Mary's gown - Mette's gown
Sorry, I meant it as a rhetorical question. I see what you mean. I wasn't really looking at the textiles but the overall look. Being a royal bride, I would think they would pick a really beautiful gown. But I have to remember what makes humanity so sweet is the fact that we all have our own taste, style and opinions.

As I look even more closely, I see Marys wedding dress wasn't white, but more of an eggshell close to pearl color.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:29 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaya View Post
In my mind the best are always being played out between Grace; Princess Elizabeth; Fabiola and Letizia of Spain with the Duchess of Windsor as an honorable mention.
I also luved the gown of a noble called Fiametta Frescobaldi whose wedding Charles attended.
I'm sure I've heard of Fiametta Frescobaldi before - did she marry in around 1988? The first ever Hello! magazine I bought was in 1988 and it had an Italian nobelwoman's wedding and all I can remember is that her veil seems too long for the little church she married in.
Old 06-20-2010, 04:28 PM
Moderator Emeritus

A look-back at the wedding gowns of the Crown Princesses

1999 - Princess Mathilde
2001 - Princess Mette-Marit
2002 - Princess Máxima
2004 - Princess Mary
2004 - Princess Letizia
2010 - Princess Victoria

(Scanpix, ppe, anp)

Old 06-20-2010, 04:40 PM
Courtier

Quote:
2001 - Princess Mette-Marit
2010 - Princess Victoria

(Scanpix, ppe, anp)
Those two are my favorites of the CPs. But my all time favorite royal gown has to be Lady Sarah Armstrong-Jones.
Old 06-20-2010, 04:43 PM
Heir Apparent

Thank you for this, Her_Majesty! I always liked Mary's wedding dress, but Mette-Marit's looks lovely as well. Of course Victoria beats them all (allright, that's because it's the most contemporary gown )!
Old 06-20-2010, 05:45 PM
Heir Presumptive

Mary's is my favorite, with Victoria's and Mette-Marit's coming in 2nd and 3rd.
"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "
Old 06-20-2010, 05:50 PM
Serene Highness

Victoria's gown was nice but didn't have any luxury feel to it at all. It could have been your average wedding gown for all I care.
I wish Victoria would have gone for a wedding gown designed by Ricardo Tisci, John Galliano or take Valentino out of his retirement.
Old 06-20-2010, 05:56 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empress Merel View Post
Victoria's gown was nice but didn't have any luxury feel to it at all. It could have been your average wedding gown for all I care.
I wish Victoria would have gone for a wedding gown designed by Ricardo Tisci, John Galliano or take Valentino out of his retirement.

No way. Victoria is not a pretentious or ostentatious person, so there's no way she would have done that. She's always been a simple, classically beautiful woman, so her dress was going to reflect that. Had she worn some couture nightmare, especially in light of economic issues not only in Sweden, but throughout the world, she would have looked ridiculous. Could her father have paid for a dress like that? Sure, I doubt he'd deny his daughter her dream wedding dress. That doesn't make it right, though.

She's royalty, we all know that. That doesn't mean you have to walk into church looking like you just stepped off a runway.

"The grass was greener / The light was brighter / The taste was sweeter / The nights of wonder / With friends surrounded / The dawn mist glowing / The water flowing / The endless river / Forever and ever........ "

Tags
bride, fashion, royal weddings, royal weddings; royal wedding dresses, wedding dress