Best Royal Brides & Wedding Dresses

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My list has had a few tweaks so I'll repost. These are in no particular order.

1. Princess Margaret
2. The Duchess of Cambridge
3. Crown Princess Victoria
4. Princess Grace
5. The Duchess of Kent
6. Lady Sarah Chatto

I admit my list is influenced by the fact that I personally don't like slim skirts on wedding gowns and am really not fond of "bling". Each and everyone of these is a dress I would wear personally for me that's the deciding factor on what I like vs what I don't.

Catherine,duchess of Cambridge
Charlene of Monaco
Crown princess Mary of Denmark
Crown princess Mette marit
Crown princess Victoria
Elizabeth II

But I just loved kate's wedding dress that was a total secret until April 29 :/

Hey guys what are your favorite wedding OF ALL TIME, not just of this century or the 20th century but even farther back?

Hey guys what are your favorite wedding OF ALL TIME, not just of this century or the 20th century but even farther back?

Pre-20th Century Gowns:
Queen Mary (1893) love the wax orange blossoms
Queen Alexandra (1863) I'm not sure why the royal family didn't make her veil the "official" British Royal wedding veil
Crown Princess Marie of Bavaria (1900) sans the big flower on her shoulder
While I have never seen a great picture of the gown I think that Prince Leopold's wife Helena was stunning (1882)

I have always loved Queen Alexandra's gown and of course Katherine of Kent's classic gown choice. Yes I also loved our Kate's gown. It cerainly did not have the WOW factor but then again did it need to? It was simple, classic and elegant and she looked radiant and confident. Princess Charlene's gown was also very classic and simple which made her look beautiful. I especially loved her hair style and the jewelled hairpiece in the nape of her neck. Brides do not have to be overdone anymore to look glamorous. In fact it is becoming more and more a thing of rather "underdone" than "overdone".

Kelly, is the Leopold you are talking about Queen Victoria's last son?
Daisiesforever, I agree that Kate and Charlene's simple but beautiful look is better and more likely to last for decades. It's hard to get a perfect balance of huge princess style dress without looking ridiculous; I think Grace, Margaret and Jackie Kennedy did it well. But since the 1990s it seems royal brides prefer to go with less is more.

Last edited:
Best classic gowns: Katherine of Kent, Princess Royal, Princess Margaret, Grand Duchess Maria-Theresa

Best modern gowns: Charlene of Monaco, Victoria of Sweden, Mette-Marit of Norway

i really liked the Grand Duchess Maria Teresa of Luxmebourg at her wedding ...she looked so virginal, young and beautiful...and she still doesnt look her age today..

Crown Princess Mette-Marit
Princess Claire
Duchess of Cambridge
Isabella Orsini
Princess Grace

Just looking at wedding pictures of William and Kate, and I'm surprised at how much her dress has grown on me. I thought as elegant as it was, it was kinda underwhelming. Now, just looking at pictures, I can see and appreciate all the detailing in the lace and skirt, the buttoning all the way down the back and the details in the train - where it attaches to the skirt and how it is pleated and the embroidery. Just seeing how they were here on tour in Canada and the easy way they had with each other and the crowds I now feel the dress was totally her. Not fussy, but simple. She could have gone for something grander, dramatic, and with more "oomph", but she went with something more timeless, classic as well as something she looked comfortable in. I can't count how many times I've seen a bride look uncomfortable (yet gorgeous) in her dress!!.

I wish I could make it to London to see her dress (and everything else on display!) before the exhibit closes.

1-Maxima
2-Letizia
3-Catherine

and always Queen Margrethe, Princess Diana

The best for me:

10-Queen Sofia
9-Sarah of York
8-Maxima
7-Margaret
6-Queen Anne Marie
5-Victoria
4-Claire
3-Grace
2-Mette Marit
1-Christina

I would say Catherine's but it was very similar to those of Grace Kelly & Isabella Orsini, so it seems unfair to act as if it was original. I personally love Princess Margaret's wedding dress.

Princess Royal, I agree with you concerning Princess Margaret's wedding dress as I've always thought it the most beautiful to date. Catherine's was gorgeous, IMO, too.

Most Noble, Beautiful and Elegance Royal Wedding Dress:
1. Princess Marie of Denmark
2. Duchess Catherine of Cambridge
3. Crown Princess Mathilde of Belgium

Worst:
Princess Mabel of Oranje-Nassau

My favorite wedding gowns from the older generation of royal brides are:
1. Princess Grace
2. Princess Margaret
3. Queen Margrethe
4. Grand Duchess Maria Teresa
5. Katherine, Duchess of Kent
6. Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall

From among the younger generation of royal brides, I really like the gowns worn by:
1. Maxima
2. Mette-Marit
3. Marie (although it "collapsed")
4. Catherine
5. Charlene
6. Letizia (although the dress itself failed to complement the bride)
with an honorable mention to Diana, Duchess of Cadaval.

As for the most beautiful, I think Maria Teresa was the loveliest royal bride. The love and joy and goodness on her face painted such a lovely bridal picture, made all the more beautiful with time!

Last edited:
Is the Marie you are talking about the wife of Prince Joachim? If so I have never seen her dress.

I think Princess Margaret would have loved Catherine's dress. Stylish and very regal at the same time. Kate's dress was almost similar to hers but without the volume.

For modern royalty I would have to say;
  1. CP Victoria
  2. CP Mette-Marit
  3. Princess Charlene
Victoria for the grandeur of a Queen.
Mette-Marit for the fairytale romance.
Charlene for the elegant romance.

Just to warn, the mods are probably going to find a way to move this thread and you won't even know it happened. Just be prepared ok.
As for the list, I voted for Grace; but it was really close between her and Princess Margaret. Some of the dresses on the list are rather unattractive, i.e. Letizia and the other suit jacket wedding gown. In truth the only time I have seen that style work is on Camilla.

I think what ruins this dress for me is the tulle draping along the sides of the skirt. I think it could have been a lovely wedding dress had the tulle been used to create the fullness as an underskirt, not as part of the actual dress itself.

I think what ruins this dress for me is the tulle draping along the sides of the skirt. I think it could have been a lovely wedding dress had the tulle been used to create the fullness as an underskirt, not as part of the actual dress itself.

I think the dress just doesn't fit her properly, and I think the tiara is too ostentatious for the event. Alice's dress is part of the early 19th century wedding dresses that are so unique and beautiful; I put her in the list of a couple of Russian Grand Duchess' who had dresses like that and they were all so beautiful.

Last edited:
The dresses I like are:
Lady Diana (Princess of Wales) It was just right for 1981.
Maxima (CP of Netherlands)
Mette Marit (of Norway)
Catherine Middleton (Dutchess of Cambridge)
Princess Margaret of GB
Serena Stanthorpe (married David Linley)
Lady Thresa (A german aristocrat who was married in a winter ceremony)
Victoria Lockwood (married Princess Di's brother)-I know people don't like this much.
Sarah Ferguson (to Prince Andrew) she looked her best that day.
Marie Chantal-It is on the verge of overwhelming her. But has beautiful details.
Marie of denmark: Beautiful on her.
Claire of Belgium

Worst dress
Princes Mabel-Is there anyone that likes this?
Princess Letzia- Could have been amazing but the collar was bent.
Princess Mary- I love mary's style, but the dress was underwhelming.
Princess Silvia- Too matronly, almost like a hospital gown.(Queen Silvia)
Queen Noor-Too average
Princess Alexandra of Denmark: Too fluffy on her small frame.
Princess Victoria-Too much like her mother's w/ same problem.
Sara Chatto:Almost beautiful, but just a little on the martronly side.
Zara Phillips: Poor cute and fabric for her body type.

Back
Top Bottom