The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 03-26-2009, 03:02 PM
Courtier

Favorites (in order):

1. Princess Astrid of Norway - I don't think anyone else has mentioned her, and she doesn't even have her own wedding thread, but she looks absolutely beautiful in the wedding pictures posted in one of the threads about her in the Norwegian forum. I love the flowers on the dress and the fur jacket she wore in the photos outside the church - perfect for a winter wedding.

2. Queen Paola - I've never been a big fan of her personally, but the dress - and the family veil - were gorgeous.

3. Queen Margrethe - so classic and timeless, perfect style for a tall bride. And she herself was just glowing with happiness.

Worst:

1. Mabel - absolute DISASTER

2. Queen Silvia - just sort of blah

Not ugly or even overly plain, but disappointing for me given the bride's beauty and how much I like all four of them:

1. Mary
2. Letizia
3. Queen Elizabeth - it was pretty, but I think it could have been even prettier because I love most of her other dresses from that era. It needed a fuller skirt or something.
4. Queen Sonja - I like the bell-shaped skirt and the veil, but otherwise it really doesn't do that much for me, which is disappointing for such a pretty woman. However, I think it's cool that she did it herself.

Old 03-26-2009, 04:18 PM
Aristocracy

There are so many great dresses, but in recent years, I especially like Princess Marie of Denmark's.

Old 03-26-2009, 04:32 PM

I loved Sarah Ferguson's dress. I didn't really liked Diana's.
Old 03-26-2009, 05:40 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalEnquirer View Post
There are so many great dresses, but in recent years, I especially like Princess Marie of Denmark's.
Ooh, I completely forgot about her! Her dress was beautiful - move that to the top of my list and knock Astrid, Paola, and Margrethe each down one number.
Old 03-26-2009, 09:16 PM
Aristocracy

My pick would be Princes Maxima. To me it is timeless and classic. I cannot find a picture of Princess Astrid. I have looked on the Norway threads. Help anyone?
Old 03-26-2009, 09:24 PM
Courtier

Try page 2 of this thread:

Princess Astrid and Family: news and pictures

There's a couple of pictures from Astrid and Johan's wedding in a post about halfway down.
Old 03-31-2009, 06:29 PM
Heir Presumptive

+
Duchess Fleur of Württemberg (it's comparable to mine)
Letizia Ortiz Rocasolano
Princess Märtha-Louise of Norway

-
Princess Caroline of Monaco (with Philippe Junot)
Masako Owada
Princess Kalina of Bulgaria
I had a dream: Let's connect our thoughts together, than we have a mission, let's connect our feelings together, than we have a mood, let's connect our dreams together, than we have a vision and let's connect our mission, our mood and our vision together than we have a perfect life.
Old 03-31-2009, 09:21 PM
Aristocracy

Thank you Maura724. I like her dress very much. I bet the detail is beautiful.
Old 04-02-2009, 03:10 PM
Nobility

Wedding dresses

IMO,

Most beautiful

1- Crown Princess Maxima of Netherlands
2- Queen Fabiola of the Belgians
3- Queen Margrethe of Denmark
4- Archduchess Marie-Christine of Austria

Least favorite

Tie - Princess Olga of Greece & Princess Mabel of Orange-Nassau
Old 04-22-2009, 10:30 PM
Gentry

Royal Wedding Dresses - Patterns?

Does anyone know where I can get a pattern for HRH Sophie, Countess of Wessex's wedding dress? I want to wear it at my wedding.
Old 04-23-2009, 06:29 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsorbrides1 View Post
Does anyone know where I can get a pattern for HRH Sophie, Countess of Wessex's wedding dress? I want to wear it at my wedding.
I'm sure that if you find a dressmaker and take a good picture they should be able to reproduce it. I have made many wedding dresses over the years using just a photo.
Old 04-23-2009, 06:09 PM
Royal Highness
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

I know I've seen similar dresses with the over-jacket because I was thinking I might look good in that.
Old 05-16-2009, 08:53 PM
Nobility

I should add Infanta Cristina of Spain to my favorites. Very elegant and beautiful.
Old 05-16-2009, 09:01 PM
Heir Apparent

The wedding dresses I like are as follows:
Crown Princess Mathilde: classical choice that suited her reasonably well;
Crown Princess Mette-Marit: simplicity and perfect tailoring reinforced by flawless make-up, hairstyle, and accessories;
Princess Philomena: a truly French haute couture gown;
Princess Anna Bagration: a Georgian themed dress paired with a sleek hairstyle, airy veil, and nice bouquet.
To wander on in a huge forest without thought of return. To stand upon the shore and gaze after a boat that disappears behind distant islands. To contemplate the flight of wild geese seen and lost among the clouds.
And, subtle shadows of bamboo on bamboo." Zeami Motokiyo
Old 05-17-2009, 11:41 PM

I have only lately joined this site, and enjoy it very much. A couple of things I would like to share with your members.
Princess Alexandra's mother the late Princess Marina had saved a length of lace that she wanted Princess Alexandra to use for her wedding dress. Unfortunately when it was taken from storage to show to the coutourier (John Cavanagh) it was seen to be so yellowed with age it could not be used. The design of the lace was copied ( Oak leaves and ivy-oak leaves for Kent) and woven into enough to provide the dress and veil.
Princess Margaret's dress was designed by Antony Armstrong Jones and Hardy Amies from an original design done by Armstrong Jones, which was considered to be even plainer than the one eventally settled upon. It was described as "monastic and Nun-like"...words that were not usually used in conjuction with the Princess!!
Old 05-18-2009, 01:29 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelG View Post
I have only lately joined this site, and enjoy it very much. A couple of things I would like to share with your members.
Princess Alexandra's mother the late Princess Marina had saved a length of lace that she wanted Princess Alexandra to use for her wedding dress. Unfortunately when it was taken from storage to show to the coutourier (John Cavanagh) it was seen to be so yellowed with age it could not be used. The design of the lace was copied ( Oak leaves and ivy-oak leaves for Kent) and woven into enough to provide the dress and veil.
Princess Margaret's dress was designed by Antony Armstrong Jones and Hardy Amies from an original design done by Armstrong Jones, which was considered to be even plainer than the one eventally settled upon. It was described as "monastic and Nun-like"...words that were not usually used in conjuction with the Princess!!
I read a book/biography many years ago about Princess Alexandra or possibly it was about royal weddings (can't remember which!), which described the design process with regard to her wedding dress. The design of the lace was indeed oak leaves/ivy-oak leaves and was, according to the book, made in France before being sent to London. There was apparently quite abit of explaining to do at customs because the lace amounted to about 80 yards (240 feet). The lace was tinted a shade of magnolia. The slim fitting gown was designed to flow away from the hips in "sculptured" folds to form a train. Gold sequins were sawn between the various layers of organdie and lace so as to catch the light at every movement. A second train, 21 feet in length, was to be attached from the shoulders and the usual tulle veil was to be held in place by a diamond tiara. During fittings, the designer had the idea of lifting the court train to the bride's head and it was decided that the veil would be formed out of the lace court train rather than of tulle. The effect was utterly stunning!
Old 05-29-2009, 11:55 AM

Letizia

...sorry but Letizia on her wedding day was in my opinion really ugly! Her hairdress and make up were ugly, she was too thin, with a bad tiara!
Old 05-29-2009, 11:57 AM

I absolutely agree with you!

Without doubt Princess Grace was by far the most beautiful.

Princess Mary and Maxima looked also beautiful and their gowns were breathtaking.

Princess Diana looked also breathtaking with her romantic wedding dress though I didn't like her puffed sleeves.

I didn't like the gowns of Mathilde and Letizia, I think the collars were kind of weird and Letizia hair was awful.[/QUOTE]
Old 05-29-2009, 01:01 PM
Nobility

I agree. Letizia's hair was just awful. Such a nice veil and tiara distroyed by the hair cut...
The dress also was exceptional for Letizia and her figure apart from the terrible collar... I think that a simple cut in front of the dress, longer earrings, and a veil appropriate for Leti's face would be better.

and I pray to God, Leti, please take kilos!!!
She will be stunning with 4-5 extra kilos!!!
Old 05-29-2009, 01:16 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

I think my favourites.
1. Princess Mary.
2. Princess Grace.
3. Autumn Kelly
4. Princess Claire
5. Camilla, Duchess Of Cornwall

I didn't like letizia's dress, veil and tiara were beautiful but her hair was odd. Mette-Marit's dress was too simpy, the veil was plain and her hair was un-original. Princess Diana's dress was awful, the whole meringue look to it and the train was far too long. Alexandra Manley's wedding dress was also another down fall. Maria Chantels wedding dress was also a disaster, with the veil pitched so high up and all that lace.
x

Tags
bride, fashion, royal weddings, royal weddings; royal wedding dresses, wedding dress