Best Royal Brides & Wedding Dresses

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'd rather have the simple and elegant ones than the fairy tale stuff :D

Marie's dress looks great, the only objection I have is, that is makes her look like she has short short legs :lol:

Best:

Victoria of Sweden
Mette Marit of Norway
Mathilde of belgium
Maria Teresa of Luxembourg (although I dislike fur)

Oddest:

Mabel - epic
Mary - good idea, but terrible fabric
Tatjana of Greece

Worst:

Kalina of Bulgaria - actually it was the veil
Sarah Duchess of York - too 80s
Rania of Jordan - too 90s

I like Victoria's and Kelly's dresses the most

- Princess Marie
- Princess Claire
- Princess Mette-Marit
- Princess Grace

There are at least three yet soon-to-be-worn wedding dresses to be added to this discussion (Kate's, Charlene's and Zara's). Our list might look different by the end of the year. I really put lots of hope in Kate's dress imagining her walking down the aisle in a Mette-Marit-style dress.

There are at least three yet soon-to-be-worn wedding dresses to be added to this discussion (Kate's, Charlene's and Zara's). Our list might look different by the end of the year. I really put lots of hope in Kate's dress imagining her walking down the aisle in a Mette-Marit-style dress.

I think that dress would suit her beautifully as well, Naggi. My worst fear is that she decides to be influenced by "tradition" and whips out the the big-sleeved 1980s cake/float horror as a tribute to her deceased mother-in-law and wear it...after I picked up my jaw and LMAO, I would probably die.

Kate's dress imagining her walking down the aisle in a Mette-Marit-style dress.

OMG, I hope I won't have to see that :ohmy: I really didn't like MM dress, the top half looks to me as if it has been made out of some stretchy material. Sorry, but I don't like it at all :)

OMG, I hope I won't have to see that :ohmy: I really didn't like MM dress, the top half looks to me as if it has been made out of some stretchy material. Sorry, but I don't like it at all :)

hahahaha, Sternchen, you made me laugh :) Well than lets hope that she will wear a dress which will satisfy both of us so we can both enjoy the wedding :)

I think that dress would suit her beautifully as well, Naggi. My worst fear is that she decides to be influenced by "tradition" and whips out the the big-sleeved 1980s cake/float horror as a tribute to her deceased mother-in-law and wear it...after I picked up my jaw and LMAO, I would probably die.

Her slim figure would simply look beautiful in a swan-like cutted dress like Mette-Marit wore. I think the Norwegian crown princess simply looked beautiful in it wich gave here a certain majestic aura. For me Kate has the same statute as Mette-Marit has, so I thought she might look the best in such a dress. Though I loved Diana's dress and still do I always consider it as the style of the early 80s. It was very much influenced by her age and by tradition. Kate is much older than Diana was and thank God we don't live in the fashion disaster 80s anymore. So lets hope that Kate will decide "wisely" :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I did love Dianas weddingdress, she looked like a true princess.

But I don't think anyone else would look beautiful in such a "princess dream incarnated" - but Diana looked wonderful.

I think a royal weddingdress has to be a bit more classic that "ordinary" wedding dress.

There has to be a sleeve.

Not to much lace.:whistling:

And I do prefer a thick silk.:flowers:

Most beautiful wedding Dresses

Dear Stephanie,
I feel that most of your choices are really beautiful. These Gowns are Regal and yet Romantic and very feminine. However, personally I admit to being also partial to the really Majestic and Regal Gowns like Maxima's Gown, Farah Diba's Gown, Fergie's Gown and also Queen Fabiola's Gown, which was just Gorgeous too. (and so many more of that vintage)
I guess our preferences also involve our age!! Ha, I am in my late forties now, so....
Angelique:flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I loved Princess Grace of Monoco,

Princess Maxima

Queen Silvia of Sweden

But~ I too reserve the right to update my favorites based on the upcoming nuptuals this year! I have a feeling we will see some excellent, classic, timeless designs!

I have long wanted to weigh in on this topic. Why do we women love weddings and gowns SO much...?? I am voting for loveliest bride in overall terms and not just the most beautiful gowns.

1. My all time favorite is Princess Grace. Her gown was certainly spectacular, but the way she wore it put it over the top. Her carriage and impeccable posture were the icing on the cake, so to speak. And notice: no decolletage or bareness at all. Just a truly lovely gown on a truly lovely woman.

2. Crown Princess Mary. Perhaps the gown was not perfect, although it was appropriately styled by a modern Danish designer for a modern Danish princess. But it was in good taste and was elegant. However, it was her carriage, aura and impeccable posture that lifts her to the top of my list. Again, a lovely and elegant woman made a lovely and elegant bride, and her overall appearance was nothing short of spectacular. Even the antique veil that lay somewhat awkwardly around her face could not detract from the overall effect. And I understand the fact that the antique veil was likely a 'must wear' to satisfy traditional sentiment.

3. An unusual dress, very medieval in feeling, but beautiful and perfectly fitted and flattering was Mette-Marit's gown. She was a stunning bride.

I feel that none of the others can compare with these two. Victoria's dress was very good, but the sleeve length did NOT flatter her arms. In fact, it made them look thick. Since I have seen her in sleeveless dresses, this did not need to have been the case. That sleeve length is flattering only on a thin, tall woman with long arms.

Many forum members like Marie's dress. It was indeed a beautiful gown, but, put me down to being a traditionalist, royal brides generally steer away from decolletage, so this was a bit of an odd note. Even most royal brides not marrying into the line of succession tend to avoid decolletage, so I found her dress surprising, although most lovely for any more typical bride.

Letitizia's and Sophie's gowns did not fit particularly well. Maxima's gown was beautiful, but her personal aura and carriage was not as notable as P. Grace or P. Mary. I would make the same comment about Marie Chantal. The lovely Rania needed a different gown, although religious concerns probably dictated the conservatism of her ensemble. But she certainly needed a different hair dresser!

The prize for national symbolism and meaning goes to Princess Elizabeth! The dress didn't fit particularly well, which may have been a stab at conservatism, because she did possess a spectacular figure which the dress downplayed. Still it was lovely and was intended to commemorate her subjects around the world.

The worst? In my estimation, Pr. Mabel.

I would like to think that we are all in for a treat in the future Princess William. She has a great eye, great style, a lovely figure and carriage, and a sense of the appropriate.

I think I posted in this thread years ago. Today I'd pick the following dresses in this order: 1. Mette Marit
2. Marie
3. Maxima
4. Sarah Armstrong Jones

1. CPV of Sweden
2. SAJ- England
3. P . Marie- Denmark
4. CPL- Spain
5. Fergie- England
6. Diana - England
On the fence about:
1. Mary- Denmark

Dislikes in order:
1. Sophie- England
2. Mathilde - Belgium
3.Lady Linley- England
4. Maxima- Netherlands
5. Mette- Marit- Norway

Last edited:
There's something that has been bugging me for a while as I look at all the royal weddings and that is do other royals know what the wedding dress or bridal party dresses look like as the Royals don't look at all suprised by what htye see, some don't really show any emotion at all.

My favorites:
1. Princess Grace - probably the most beautiful wedding gown, timeless, great inspiration for past and future brides.
2. CP Maxima - very regal gown, probably the best of the all current CPss. I like material and lace details.
3. CP Mette-Marit - unusual but beautiful, I like delicate material and simple design. Gown suited her a lot.

Not the best:
1. Diana - very 80's, too puffy, doesn't suit pretty, young woman. Could be better with smaller sleeves.
2. CP Mary - she has got nice style, but I really dislike her gown. Material looked cheap, panels on the skirt were strange-looking.
3. Mabel - one word - bows.

Looking forward to see this year brides...

Top Five:
Favorite and most beautiful and "Princess-like": Grace Kelly
Second Marie of Denmark
Prince Laurent's Claire Coombs
Sarah Ferguson
Mary of Denmark

Worst: Laura Parker Bowles
Sadly, Princess Diana, who deserved so much better from the designer!
Princes Moor of Jordon
Prince Edward's Sophie

I go for simple and plain looking gowns which -by detail, by the choice of material, by the use of jewels- reveal that there comes a royal bride. Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden and Princess Máxima of the Netherlands had simple-lined plain looking gowns but the details told all.

In Princess Máxima's gown (by Valentino) this became clear by the use of the heaviest possible ivory-coloured Mikado silk which caused that no any wrinkle could be seen despite transport, sitting, kneeling, walking and moving. The Princess had panels inside the skirt (the starting point for the train) which were embroidered with lace, only partly visible when seated or walking. The 'austerity' of Princess Máxima's gown was richly compensated with the immense handwoven and hand-embroidered silk tulle veil.

Crown Princess Victoria had a similar outlook: a simple and maybe 'austere' gown but beautifully counterbalanced with that truly royal camée coronet and the regal looking veil. The Swedish Crown Princess showed more flesh and had a more feminine look. At the other hand: no one expected that 02-02-2002 would turn out in such a sunny day. That date is typically a cold, dark and wet February day in Amsterdam.

The gowns of the late Princess of Wales, Crown Princess Mary of Denmark, the Princess of Asturias and Crown Princess Mette-Marit of Norway were without any doubt beautiful but missed that feel of a royal gown. But of course, taste is always in the eye of the beholder.

:flowers:

The amazing train:

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_qA6ZGJEX8oM/S2Sm1kOACLI/AAAAAAAAPE4/euQbevBq28s/HOLLAND%20WEDD%C4%B0NG7.jpg

Last edited:
I go for simple and plain looking gowns which -by detail, by the choice of material, by the use of jewels- reveal that there comes a royal bride. Crown Princess Victoria of Sweden and Princess Máxima of the Netherlands had simple-lined plain looking gowns but the details told all.

In Princess Máxima's gown (by Valentino) this became clear by the use of the heaviest possible ivory-coloured Mikado silk which caused that no any wrinkle could be seen despite transport, sitting, kneeling, walking and moving. The Princess had panels inside the skirt (the starting point for the train) which were embroidered with lace, only partly visible when seated or walking. The 'austerity' of Princess Máxima's gown was richly compensated with the immense handwoven and hand-embroidered silk tulle veil.

Crown Princess Victoria had a similar outlook: a simple and maybe 'austere' gown but beautifully counterbalanced with that truly royal camée coronet and the regal looking veil. The Swedish Crown Princess showed more flesh and had a more feminine look. At the other hand: no one expected that 02-02-2002 would turn out in such a sunny day. That date is typically a cold, dark and wet February day in Amsterdam.

The gowns of the late Princess of Wales, Crown Princess Mary of Denmark, the Princess of Asturias and Crown Princess Mette-Marit of Norway were without any doubt beautiful but missed that feel of a royal gown. But of course, taste is always in the eye of the beholder.

:flowers:

The amazing train:

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_qA6ZGJEX8oM/S2Sm1kOACLI/AAAAAAAAPE4/euQbevBq28s/HOLLAND WEDDİNG7.jpg

I agree with you.
I quite liked the dress of Princess Mathilde too.
At to the bolded part. Turned out it was the only dry and warm day of January and February. A perfect day.

Maxima took my breath away on her wedding day. Her hair, her makeup and her gown and tiara were spectacular.

But that train simply put her waaaay over the top...STUNNING!!

Thanks for posting that photo.

Maxima's dress was definitely beautiful. The train was the perfect topping on her dress.

Diana's gown was perfect for her and in style for the time. It was beautiful.

I like all the gowns. I'm probably the only person who posts that liked Mabel's gown. I just like wedding gowns, as long as they're not strapless.

I like all wedding gowns as long as it remains decent, tasteful, stylish and made with love, good materials and well-tailored. The gown of the late Princess of Wales was truly iconic but you either you hate it or you love it.

When you look at Queen Fabiola's gown from Balenciaga or to Grace Kelly's gown, these can still be worn today. Diana's gown would make every present-day young bride looking too campy. Even for the 1980's it was already too eighties, I think.

Princess Astrid of Belgium also had a very 1980's wedding gown with huge balloon puffed sleeves but the rest of the gown was sober. That makes it still 'bearable' to watch with 2011 eyes.

But despite everything, the images of Diana walking down the aisle in that gown were and are unforgettable.

Last edited:
Diana's gown was perfect for her and in style for the time. It was beautiful.

I like all the gowns. I'm probably the only person who posts that liked Mabel's gown. I just like wedding gowns, as long as they're not strapless.

I didn't exactly HATE Mabel's gown...the cut and design were both excellent.

I just got a little dizzy looking at all those bows!

Back
Top Bottom