Best Royal Brides & Wedding Dresses

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Does anyone know where I can get a pattern for HRH Sophie, Countess of Wessex's wedding dress? I want to wear it at my wedding.

I'm sure that if you find a dressmaker and take a good picture they should be able to reproduce it. I have made many wedding dresses over the years using just a photo. :flowers:

I know I've seen similar dresses with the over-jacket because I was thinking I might look good in that.

:previous:

I should add Infanta Cristina of Spain to my favorites. Very elegant and beautiful.

The wedding dresses I like are as follows:
Crown Princess Mathilde: classical choice that suited her reasonably well;
Crown Princess Mette-Marit: simplicity and perfect tailoring reinforced by flawless make-up, hairstyle, and accessories;
Princess Philomena: a truly French haute couture gown;
Princess Anna Bagration: a Georgian themed dress paired with a sleek hairstyle, airy veil, and nice bouquet.

I have only lately joined this site, and enjoy it very much. A couple of things I would like to share with your members.
Princess Alexandra's mother the late Princess Marina had saved a length of lace that she wanted Princess Alexandra to use for her wedding dress. Unfortunately when it was taken from storage to show to the coutourier (John Cavanagh) it was seen to be so yellowed with age it could not be used. The design of the lace was copied ( Oak leaves and ivy-oak leaves for Kent) and woven into enough to provide the dress and veil.
Princess Margaret's dress was designed by Antony Armstrong Jones and Hardy Amies from an original design done by Armstrong Jones, which was considered to be even plainer than the one eventally settled upon. It was described as "monastic and Nun-like"...words that were not usually used in conjuction with the Princess!!

I have only lately joined this site, and enjoy it very much. A couple of things I would like to share with your members.
Princess Alexandra's mother the late Princess Marina had saved a length of lace that she wanted Princess Alexandra to use for her wedding dress. Unfortunately when it was taken from storage to show to the coutourier (John Cavanagh) it was seen to be so yellowed with age it could not be used. The design of the lace was copied ( Oak leaves and ivy-oak leaves for Kent) and woven into enough to provide the dress and veil.
Princess Margaret's dress was designed by Antony Armstrong Jones and Hardy Amies from an original design done by Armstrong Jones, which was considered to be even plainer than the one eventally settled upon. It was described as "monastic and Nun-like"...words that were not usually used in conjuction with the Princess!!

I read a book/biography many years ago about Princess Alexandra or possibly it was about royal weddings (can't remember which!), which described the design process with regard to her wedding dress. The design of the lace was indeed oak leaves/ivy-oak leaves and was, according to the book, made in France before being sent to London. There was apparently quite abit of explaining to do at customs because the lace amounted to about 80 yards (240 feet). The lace was tinted a shade of magnolia. The slim fitting gown was designed to flow away from the hips in "sculptured" folds to form a train. Gold sequins were sawn between the various layers of organdie and lace so as to catch the light at every movement. A second train, 21 feet in length, was to be attached from the shoulders and the usual tulle veil was to be held in place by a diamond tiara. During fittings, the designer had the idea of lifting the court train to the bride's head and it was decided that the veil would be formed out of the lace court train rather than of tulle. The effect was utterly stunning!

Letizia

...sorry but Letizia on her wedding day was in my opinion really ugly! Her hairdress and make up were ugly, she was too thin, with a bad tiara!

I absolutely agree with you!

Without doubt Princess Grace was by far the most beautiful.

Princess Mary and Maxima looked also beautiful and their gowns were breathtaking.

Princess Diana looked also breathtaking with her romantic wedding dress though I didn't like her puffed sleeves.

I didn't like the gowns of Mathilde and Letizia, I think the collars were kind of weird and Letizia hair was awful.[/QUOTE]

I agree. Letizia's hair was just awful. Such a nice veil and tiara distroyed by the hair cut...
The dress also was exceptional for Letizia and her figure apart from the terrible collar... I think that a simple cut in front of the dress, longer earrings, and a veil appropriate for Leti's face would be better.

and I pray to God, Leti, please take kilos!!!
She will be stunning with 4-5 extra kilos!!!

I think my favourites.
1. Princess Mary.
2. Princess Grace.
3. Autumn Kelly
4. Princess Claire
5. Camilla, Duchess Of Cornwall

I didn't like letizia's dress, veil and tiara were beautiful but her hair was odd. Mette-Marit's dress was too simpy, the veil was plain and her hair was un-original. Princess Diana's dress was awful, the whole meringue look to it and the train was far too long. Alexandra Manley's wedding dress was also another down fall. Maria Chantels wedding dress was also a disaster, with the veil pitched so high up and all that lace.
x

My favorites:
Princess Diana
Grace Kelly
Archduchess Sofia of Habsburg
Princess Maxima
Queen Silvia
Princess Caroline with Stefano Casiraghi
Queen Noor
Queen Rania
Soraya Estafandiary
Infanta Cristina

My favorites are
1. Grace Kelly - elegant, timeless, lady-like
2. Princess Margrethe - regal, elegant, feminine
3. Princess Margaret - every inch a princess gown
4. Maxima - regal, classical
5. Diana Duchess of Cadaval - traditional, timeless

Not an easy decision. I would say that my Top 3 are:

Princess Grace

Princess Mary

Princess Diana: it isn't my taste (80ies, you know ;)) - but it was so opulent, a fairy tale wedding dress par excellence!

My top three would have to be...
Princess Mette Marit... I loved the simplistic elegance of her gown.
Princess Letizia....there is something about the high neck that I love.
Princess Mary..... her's was complicated and unusual.

Princess Mary
Princess Anita
Princess Grace

Princess Mabels has to be the worst.
:flowers:

For me are:
Princess Mette-Marit
Princess Maxima
Princess Grace

I agree with lumutqueen, the worst: Princess Mabel

CPrincess Mary
Princess Grace
Princess diana, YES for this era at this time. Worn know it would be aggly, but for then, and with the idea people had of this marriage, it was a dream dress.

For me are :

Mette Marit
Anita
Marie
Grace
Fabiola

worst : Mabel !!!!

-Princess Grace of Monaco
-Princess Marie of Denmark
-Princess Mathilde of Belgium, and Princess Letizia of Spain: similar silhouettes, with a very nice golden embroidery on Letizia's gown.

Mary and Letizia's. I'm 50/50 on Maxima's. Grace and Diana's too... very fairytale for their era.

Latizia or Marie or Mette-Marit
Anita's wed dress look-a-like Claire's
Mabel...well...

Best

Princess Grace - a breathtaking gown. The detailing of the upper part is amazing, as is Grace's tiny waistline
Princess Soraya - only someone so delicate and elegant as Soraya could have pulled off that wedding dress. And she not only did that, but also managed to look spectacular
Mette-Marit - I'm positively in love with this gown: it's simplicity and elegance make it a timeless piece, in my opinion
Queen Elizabeth - this is one of my all-time favourite dresses: the detailed work, the design - all are perfect.
Maxima - I think the material, the design and the accessories were fitting for the future Queen
Anita - lovely dress, I just wish there were some more details in the lower part of the gown

Neutral

Queen Beatrix - nice dress but something, perhaps the gloves, spoils the look for me
Mary - I don't like the design of the dress and the upper part is too plain, in mu opinion. The open shoulders might not have been the best idea for a Royal bride either.
Letizia - the design of the dress, especially the collar bit, didn't work for me
Mathilde - the collar bit again

Worst

Mabel - if she'd only take off those awful bows, the dress might have been quite nice
Diana - the dress looks like a huge cake with the bride lost somewhere in the middle. Diana did look radiant though.
Queen Fabiola - I love Fabiola but the dress was dreadful, in my opinion

Last edited:
Mett-Marit
Grace of Monaco
both are stunning

My top 3:
1).Princess Marie of Denmark
2).Mette-Marit
3).CP Mary

Well, my favorite isn't even on there. If those are my choices, I'd have to pick as my favorites Princess Maxima, Princess Marie, and Queen Fabiola. Least favorites are Princess Mabel, and Princess Soraya.

My winner is definetly Princess Grace. She looks amazing and the dress is piece of art. All details are perfect. Princess Marie is my second favourite. Top part of the dress looks realy nice. And the third one is princess Mary's dress. It's simple but elegant.

I'm sharing my views with Bonbon absolutely!
There was a great creation of a Hollywood fairy-tail wedding dress, the gift from MGM company, we also should have thanked for that Helen Rose, who was a great designer!
I might say, when I saw a photo of Maxima, wearing in her wedding dress, I was also very impressed, as the dress is very charming.
I aslo wanted to mention Queen Elizabeth's wedding dress was classic and beautiful at the same time.

Back
Top Bottom