Quote:
Originally Posted by Christo's Girl
BEST:
Lady Sarah Chatto
Mette Marit of Norway
Maxima of the Netherlands
Grace of Monaco
Letizia and Cristina of Spain

NOT MY FAVOURITE(I think all brides look lovely on their wedding day)

Mary of Denmark-the sleeves made her look like a milkmaid
Marie Chantal of Greece-far too heavy for such a petitie frame
Diana-way too much of everything, but she pulled it off
Princess Caroline to Phillipe Junot- very country, much too sedate. But she looked beautiful.
Christo's Girl, you have an exquisite taste! Those are also my picks. I should only add to that Queen Margrethe of Denmark's gown as a favorite too, an all-time classic. Mary's was one of the worst things I've ever seen in the royal wedding gowns department, a true pity. I also quite liked Laurentien's, a very simple design which looked right for her.

Old 01-15-2007, 04:08 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzling
Letizia's wedding dress embroidery was beautiful also the veil but i thought she couldve obtained for a better dress cut.
I think the dress was too stiff and heavy for her. She looked terrified and almost hidden in the dress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzling
Maximas dresses cut was again great, liked the lace inserting on the sides. I thought if the front part was open and if she had worn a necklace she wouldve looked like a dream come true princess. also, liked the lace on the veil on the sides, that was a great idea.
The dress was simple and elegant, though I agree that she could have shown a little bit more...but then again, they were still in winter..

What I do not get...why Laurentien's and Maxima's dresses were so similar...

Old 01-15-2007, 05:24 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verde Esmeralda
What I do not get...why Laurentien's and Maxima's dresses were so similar...
that is the big question, the dresses are so so similar
Today the world has embraced new royal Princesses in the form of Mary of Denmark and Maxima of the Netherlands. But it's questionable whether even these hugely popular, increasingly glamorous future Queens will ever capture the world's imagination in the same way as Diana.
As Mario acknowledges: "She really was a true Princess".
-www.theroyalist.net-
Old 01-16-2007, 03:58 AM
Nobility

I love Maxima's gown - it is simple and nice. But guess she got the height to pull it off.

For small petite frame, I think Lady Helen Taylor's gown is the one. Although it is a 14 years old gown, personally I dun mind it for my own wedding.
Old 01-16-2007, 03:50 PM
Nobility

Lady Helen had a gorgeous gown, great neckline, but what do you expect from Catherine Walker.
Old 01-16-2007, 07:42 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christo's Girl
Lady Helen had a gorgeous gown, great neckline, but what do you expect from Catherine Walker.
Beg to differ. Never liked a thing Walker made, the reason her clothes managed to look good at all was the natural beauty of the respective wearers, be it gorgeous, luminous lady Helen, or that other English rose, Diana.

You are entitled to your opinion, though!
Old 01-16-2007, 07:43 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by corazon
that is the big question, the dresses are so so similar
Well, Vermeulen/Laurentien was first. I agree Maxima's looked rather like a copy, albeit a better, more gorgeous one.
Old 01-16-2007, 07:45 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verde Esmeralda
I think the dress was too stiff and heavy for her. She looked terrified and almost hidden in the dress.
Couldn't agree more. She just <drowned> in that dress, and that in combination with her stringy hair, it was a disappointment.

Although the same type of design worked very well for a tall, lean woman like Mathilde. But for tiny petite Letizia it didn't.
Old 01-16-2007, 07:51 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura
Mary's was one of the worst things I've ever seen in the royal wedding gowns department, a true pity.
Glad some folks agree with me on this one! In defense of the bride, the <sketch> of the dress looked gorgeous, the real-life version was a wash-out. She indeed looked like a milk maid, what with the high highup hair which caused the veil to drape weirdly, and the bottom half of the dress, just weird. Although on some pictures, taken inside, the <color> of the dress glows like the golden light of a candle, so that was a plus.

Overrated dress, by far. Case like Diana in the eighties: terrible, terrible dress, but people then unanimously liked it because they liked Diana.

Mary's mom in law had a gorgeous, gorgeous dress.
Old 01-16-2007, 08:35 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess olga
Well, Vermeulen/Laurentien was first. I agree Maxima's looked rather like a copy, albeit a better, more gorgeous one.
What was so simular? The fabric was very different, the veil was, Laurentiens sleeves were broader, she seemed to have a sort of coat, it started to split in two halfway, like the dress of Beatrix, she didn't have embroidery on the side, the shape of the train was different, the back was completely different. I can see a simularity in the high neckline, but still Maxima's was higher and Laurentiens opened more.

I think it is safe to assume that an artist like mr Valentino does not copy a dress, and certrainly not from Edouard Vermeulen (a nice designer but not even close to a great master like Valentino).
Old 01-16-2007, 11:06 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Coordinator

Here are links to two posts, by Josefine and misshelen, that show Maxima and Laurentien's dresses.
Maxima
Laurentien

I have to agree with Marengo- I really don't see much similar about them, other than the dresses were white, beautiful, and worn by the lovely Dutch Princesses. There is just such a different 'feel' to them.

Old 01-20-2007, 06:55 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo
What was so simular? The fabric was very different, the veil was, Laurentiens sleeves were broader, she seemed to have a sort of coat, it started to split in two halfway, like the dress of Beatrix, she didn't have embroidery on the side, the shape of the train was different, the back was completely different. I can see a simularity in the high neckline, but still Maxima's was higher and Laurentiens opened more.
well ok, superficially speaking then. I always found those two dresses quite similar somehow, the overall picture I think, i.e. the straight-ish princess cut, the high neck, the three-quarter-lenght sleeves, and that they both had some sort of opening, or wings on the sides, not sure how to discribe that.

I have to say I hadn't looked at Laurentien's dress for quite a while and following the link, it strikes me how:

-Laurentien's dress seems to have taken inspiration from Queen Jualiana's wedding dress!
-the fact Laurentien's dress is so very very wrinkly. Shame on Vermeulen for that.
Agree Marengo that Maxima's dress in that sense doesn't compare at all: her dress didn't wrinkle and also, the fabric was/seemed much higher quality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo
I think it is safe to assume that an artist like mr Valentino does not copy a dress, and certrainly not from Edouard Vermeulen (a nice designer but not even close to a great master like Valentino).
I'm not accusing anyone of anything here but it is possible Maxima, when he was about to design her dress, told the couturier sth like, "I want three quarter lenght sleeves, my sister in law had that, and it looked gorgeous", who knows?
Also, even the best aren't above taking inspiration from what has gone before them, it isn't as if there are endless possibilities to drape a fabric around the neverchanging structure of the human body
And recently Armani lost a law suit to actually a Dutch shoe designer (forget the name), Armani had blatantly copied one of this designer's shoe designs
Old 01-20-2007, 07:16 PM
Serene Highness

http://img267.imageshack.us/my.php?image=j1028bj.jpg

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...5&d=1107397335

Come to think of it, there are similarities between the bottom halfs of these two gowns . Great look that works, that's for sure!
Old 01-22-2007, 12:23 PM
Courtier

Without a doubt Princess Grace of Monaco 's wedding dress is my farovuite dress of them all just simply elegant, beautiful and so well designed out of the other royal weddings I have seen.

I'm head of a dynastic house no matter what others say.
Princess Kamorrissa,Countess of Welle
Old 01-22-2007, 01:40 PM
Aristocracy

The most beautiful wedding dresses : Fabiola & Claire !!!
Old 01-22-2007, 02:37 PM
Serene Highness
Picture of the Month Representative - Belgium

The best:
Mathilde of Belgium
Claire of Belgium
Leatitia of Spain

Worst
Maxima of Holland
Mabel of Holland
Astrid of Belgium
Old 01-23-2007, 09:42 PM
Serene Highness

Why do you think Maxima was one of the worst? She was one of the better ones in my opinion (so would Mabel have been if it hadn't been for the bows!)
Old 01-24-2007, 09:04 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Why do you think Maxima was one of the worst? She was one of the better ones in my opinion (so would Mabel have been if it hadn't been for the bows!)
I agree Princess Olga, Maxima's was among the best. Still I think it was too conservative, nearly boring...but classy ... and let's face it... she was about to become a Princess. No Eva Sannum-alike blunder among the options!
Old 01-25-2007, 12:07 PM
Courtier

I sort of liked Mable's wedding dress, but it's definately not my favourite.

1-Crown Princess Mary
2-Grace of Monaco
3-Princess Letizia of Asturias
Old 01-25-2007, 12:08 PM
Courtier

Quote:
I think the fabric was way to shiny, and it just looked unfitting to me, too big if you like, and I then I don't like the star tiara.

Tags
bride, fashion, royal weddings, royal weddings; royal wedding dresses, wedding dress