The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 07-04-2006, 12:13 AM
Nobility

I like
1. Lady Sarah Chatto's wedding dress was absolutely breathtakingly lovely.
2. Sarah, Duchess of York's dress was impressive. The intricate embroideries on the bodice and train was awesome and the edgings of her veil perfectly framed her face. She had a big fan-shaped bow at the beginning of her train and that influenced many a wedding dress at that time. I felt it was a carefully designed dress that made Sarah a stunning looking bride.
3. Princess Maxima. Elegant design. I love the lace veil.
4. Princess Margaret of Britain. Simple and beautiful. I really liked the highly visible hemming all around the edge of her veil.

I did not like
1. Princess Grace of Monaco's dress. It looks as if she is constantly holding her breath because it is tight around the midriff and she does not look relaxed. The lace in the dress and the veil was beautiful though but I dislike her headpiece - it made her look like a nun.
2. Diana, Princess of Wales. Unfortunately for the beautiful princess her fairy tale dress looked a trifle too crumpled on her wedding day. She rescued the day for me with the close-up shots that showed up the lace and beading details.
3. Princess Sybilla of Luxembourg. Why did she have that bulging hem in her dress?
4. Princess Caroline of Monaco's wedding dress looked too bulky in the photos but I liked the way the scalloped hemline just hovered above rather than dragged along the ground.

Old 07-04-2006, 12:48 AM
Aristocracy

My Favourite Wedding Dresses

1. Queen Elizabeth II wedding dress was beautiful adn the detail is magnificent.
2. Princess Diana's- She looked every bit the fairy tale princess and she really diid look like the real live Cinderella. Even though her dress was rinkled I still think the dress and that Train!!!, so long, it looked breath taking!
3. Camilla, The duchess of Cornwall- I did like both of her dresses for the civil ceremony and the wedding. I liked how simple and elegant they looked since this marriage wasn't as huge as Diana's I liked Camilla's since of beauty with being elegant and simple.

Old 07-04-2006, 12:57 AM
Aristocracy

I think Diana and Camilla both loked wonderful on their wedding day. Diana looked every bit the English rose and she was nervus which made her even more beautiful because everybody who had been married could relate to that. I don't know if everyone could relate to mixing up their husbands names though! :)
I also thought Camilla looked very nice she surprised me with her sense of style. I absolutely loved her dress for the wedding it really suited her body and fit well. I loved her flowy and elegant it made her look. Her adn Charles looked so happy when they married and looked seemed very nervous I think I saw her hands shake a few times! Both of those blushing so different and married nearly 24 years apart but they both loked great on their wedding day.
Old 07-06-2006, 11:19 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Jennifer
Her outfit was very nice. Very pretty & tasteful. I am also a fan of Lady Sarah Chatto's (nee Armstrong-Jones) wedding dress & Lady Davina Lewis (nee Windsor).
Interestin g how Camilla was this polarizing figure once--still is for some of course -- yet how we can really all agree that she's been one of the best royal brides of late! :)
Old 07-07-2006, 10:52 PM
Courtier

Smile Princess Margaret

I've always loved Princess Margaret wedding gown. It is very plain and I've always thought that she looked lovely on her wedding day, although I've always wondered if Peter Townsend was in the back of her mind.

That's something that we will never know.

The photo is courtsey of Alamy Images.

http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/7...smargaretw.jpg
Old 07-08-2006, 01:29 AM
Aristocracy

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgrant
I've always loved Princess Margaret wedding gown. It is very plain and I've always thought that she looked lovely on her wedding day, although I've always wondered if Peter Townsend was in the back of her mind.

That's something that we will never know.

The photo is courtsey of Alamy Images.

http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/7...smargaretw.jpg

I agree with you. Princess Margaret looked really lovely on her Wedding Day. I think she is the first one who wore such a simple plain dress. The next British Royal bride was Katherine of Kent, and her dress too was a simple design.

Was Princess Margaret the one who started the trend of having very young Bridesmaids. ? At the time it was suggested she had child attendants as she had no friends (or family) who were shorter than her!!!!!! :) I womnder if that was true?
Old 07-08-2006, 02:45 AM
Nobility

WOW there really are too many to select so i have narrowed mine down to
1) Princess Mary
2) Lady Sarah chatto
3) Grace kelly and
4) Baroness Fransesca von Thyssen :)
Old 07-08-2006, 10:06 AM
Nobility

As another thread is dedicated to wedding dresses...my choice of brides are:
1. Princess Elizabeth of Great Britain. She looked happy and in love.
2. Sarah, Duchess of York surprised me on her wedding day. She looked stunning and confident.
3. Princess Mathilde of Belgium, Princess Sophie and Princess Tatiana of Liechtenstein. I love their radiant smiles.
4. Lady Sarah Chatto looked lovely and contented.
5. Shy Princess Diana with the wistful look in her eyes makes her look so appealing.
Old 07-09-2006, 12:24 PM
Commoner

Best:
Sarah Ferguson
Katharine Worsley
Diana Spencer
Margaret Windsor
Caroline Grimaldi 2nd time

The 80's were the best fashion decade it is now that clothes are repulsive
Old 07-16-2006, 01:14 PM

Best:
Infanta Cristina
Princess Laurentein

worst:
Princess Diana
Princess Mabel
Old 07-16-2006, 03:24 PM

Best
Cristina of Spain
Claire of Beligum
Letizia of Spain

Worst
Mary of Denmark (skirt and train)
Mabel of O- N (bows)
Old 07-16-2006, 03:53 PM
Serene Highness

I agree with you katie1001 on Mabel's thing- her dress were terrible! She looked in it so... in stress.
Old 07-17-2006, 01:47 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebess
Hey Redfox6, I gave a shout out to Princess Anne and her 1973 wedding dress in post 155. I loved that gown!:)
Me too, me too! :) That gown is indeed one of the all time best royal wedding gowns (well, the last two centuries, that is!)
I was a tiny tot when I watched Anne's nuptials, in my view then she was the personification of a fairy tale princess. Hence, ten years later, my disappointment at Diana's excuse of a dress: it missed the streamlined sophistication of Anne's.

Redfox6, I didn't know her dress was an 'off the rack', that's just shocking!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ygraine
Best:
Sarah Ferguson
Katharine Worsley
Diana Spencer
Margaret Windsor
Caroline Grimaldi 2nd time
Agree with you very much on Caroline's second wedding dress, it was a classic, so simple, so glowing. Disagree on Diana though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ygraine
The 80's were the best fashion decade it is now that clothes are repulsive
I have to say you are quite an independent thinker. Anyhow you're in luck, then, as eighties fashion's making a come back supposedly (hopefully mullet's won't!)
Old 07-17-2006, 09:08 AM
Aristocracy

Princess Margrethe of Denmark in 1967. Simplicity and elegance united...

Sad to say but she has never worn a dress as perfect as this one again!
Old 07-18-2006, 12:35 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophus
Princess Margrethe of Denmark in 1967. Simplicity and elegance united...
My gosh, that's so true. Also loved the brooch depicting a daisy.. (Mind you, Maxima's dress, the bottom half that is, seems a total and blatant copy of Margarethe's. (while the top was a copy of queen Sonja's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess
i absolutely loved sarah chatto's and sophie's dress...so simple and lovely.
yes except that the top looked like a band aid that was tied around the rib cage of the bride way way too tight! I would've liked it if the 'bandaid' part hadn't been so tight.
Old 07-18-2006, 02:00 AM
Heir Presumptive

I love Letizia's dress. It is the only dress that would only look good on a princess/queen. On anyone else it would be too formal.
Old 07-18-2006, 06:56 PM
Courtier

-Princess Claire of Belgium-

I love the top of this dress....I couldn't find a close up of the entire dress...
Old 07-23-2006, 10:48 PM
Nobility

Quote:
yes except that the top looked like a band aid that was tied around the rib cage of the bride way way too tight! I would've liked it if the 'bandaid' part hadn't been so tight.
What I liked about Lady Sarah Chatto's dress was that it gave an illusion of tightness but the the bride was all smiles and relaxed and comfortable thus eclipsing any idea of tightness but emphasizing her wonderful figure. The white and flowing sheer material transformed her into a fairytale princess and made the wedding scene magical.
And to think that there was not so much as a piece of lace or any other sort of embelishment on it !!
Old 07-26-2006, 05:21 PM
Serene Highness

I absolutely loved Letizia's dress! I personally wouldn't choose it but I just can't figure out why I like it!
I also liked the dresses of Princess Anne and Princess Claire. Finally, the then Princess Elizabeth of Great Britain. There was something about her dress...

I didn't like Princess Mary's though:o. I think, as aready mentioned, it was the material used.
Old 07-27-2006, 05:40 PM
Nobility

I agree. Princess Elizabeth's (HM The Queen) dress was in a class of its own - as befits the heir to the British throne. The rich elaborate embroidery on the entire dress and the delicate ones on her veil and train is truly magnificient. But the style itself was so simple. A true classic that does not look dated even now.

Tags
bride, fashion, royal weddings, royal weddings; royal wedding dresses, wedding dress