The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-18-2006, 09:48 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by soCal girl
I thought Princess Claire's dress was beautiful. The lace sleeves with a little bit of the shoulders revealed looked great on Claire. The only thing I didn't like was the headpiece (I refuse to call it a tiara ). But the dress itself was gorgeous.
Yep, it was gorgeous. Do you think I can borrow it?

Quote:
Is it weird that I liked Mary's wedding dress sketch better than the actual dress? In the sketch you could see the beautiful detail of the sleeves and stuff much better.
Nope, not weird. The sketch was definatly prettier- it was an unfortunate case of the probability greatly outweighing the actuality. sigh.

Old 06-19-2006, 04:04 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyK
Is it weird that I liked Mary's wedding dress sketch better than the actual dress? In the sketch you could see the beautiful detail of the sleeves and stuff much better..
I would think it (perhaps) because of the gown's material itself...

Old 06-20-2006, 12:15 AM
Aristocracy

I never saw the sketch for Mary's dress but the skirt of the dress itself reminded me of a tablecloth. A really really nice tablecloth but still a tablecloth. It was something about the way it draped in the front.
Okay, I forgot one other favorite: Princess Anne's dress from 1973. It had sort of a medieval look and suited her so well. She looked so lovely!:)
Old 06-20-2006, 01:28 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebess
I never saw the sketch for Mary's dress but the skirt of the dress itself reminded me of a tablecloth. A really really nice tablecloth but still a tablecloth. It was something about the way it draped in the front.
Okay, I forgot one other favorite: Princess Anne's dress from 1973. It had sort of a medieval look and suited her so well. She looked so lovely!:)
Mary's wedding dress sketch was beautiful. You could see how the sleeves and the skirt of the dress were supposed to be. The actual dress is still pretty but much of the detail is lost in all the material and you just kind of see an ivory mass of cloth (for the skirt anyway). You could still see the sleeve details on the actual dress but I thought the sketch was much more beautiful. I saw the sketch on this forum and tried to find it again but could not. Could somebody post the sketch of Mary's wedding dress?
Old 06-20-2006, 03:47 AM
Courtier

A replica dress of CP Mary's was made by a bridal shop here in Perth and it was absolutely stunning close up.
Old 06-20-2006, 05:16 AM
Courtier

To see the sketches of CP Mary's wedding gown: go to http://www.uffefrank.com/ and click on ""Sketches" :) .

Old 06-20-2006, 09:50 AM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

You can see the sketches in our June 2005 newsletter, dedicated to the Princess brides:
June 2005 Newsletter: The Princess Brides
Old 06-20-2006, 01:29 PM
Aristocracy

Thank you so much for the links to the sketches of Mary's dress. The sketches are beautiful. Maybe the dress should have been made of a lighter weight material to give the skirt a less heavy appearance. The bodice of Mary's dress is just stunning though.:)
Old 06-20-2006, 03:03 PM

The sketches of Mary's dress were wonderful - I really enjoyed looking at them. Duchess satin is a heavy material though - and I think lent a type of dowdiness to an otherwise classic and flattering design.
Old 06-30-2006, 02:00 PM
Nobility

Faves for me were Princess Grace's gown (which was just perfect in every way) and Lady Sarah Chatto's.

Non faves were Diana's and the Countess of Wessex.
Old 06-30-2006, 04:17 PM
Gentry

Although I am no fan of Princess Anne's style or lack of it, she looked lovely in her wedding gown and no one mentioned her.
Old 06-30-2006, 05:14 PM
Royal Highness

i absolutely loved sarah chatto's and sophie's dress...so simple and lovely.
Old 06-30-2006, 08:58 PM
Aristocracy

Hey Redfox6, I gave a shout out to Princess Anne and her 1973 wedding dress in post 155. I loved that gown!:)
Old 06-30-2006, 09:58 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebess
Hey Redfox6, I gave a shout out to Princess Anne and her 1973 wedding dress in post 155. I loved that gown!:)
I appologize. Didn't see it. I, believe, that it was a ready made gown, too. Off the rack, so to spek. Sophie's gown looked like it was ill fitting and not attractive at all.
Old 06-30-2006, 10:32 PM
Commoner

What Do U Think Of This Wedding Dress Of Victoria Spencer Aitken Of Her 2nd Marriage

WEDDING DAY PIC WITH SPENCER KIDS:
i dont know if u guys have seen this but here is a new pic of EARL SPENCERs children
http://www.weddingsabroad.co.za/hello.htm#hellophotos

what do u think of VICTORIAs choice of wedding dress this time around ")
Old 07-01-2006, 02:15 AM
Aristocracy

Smgaries, thanks for the pics, they are lovely kids and it looks like it was a beautiful wedding.
Redfox no apologies necessary!!!:) An off the rack dress for Anne? Sounds like something she'd do, very practical, no fuss, no muss. It was spectacular and she had and has a great figure.
Sophie needed the shoulders taken in on hers, it always looks to me like it's ready to fall off.
Old 07-01-2006, 04:38 AM
Courtier

Pss Letizia of Spain. Some people don't like the gown because of its collar but for me that's what I like about the gown. It's queenly-looking...
Old 07-03-2006, 04:46 PM
Courtier

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchess
i absolutely loved sarah chatto's and sophie's dress...so simple and lovely.
I agree. Sarah's wedding gown was lovely in its simplicity. Mette-Marits's wedding gown was also very simple and very pretty.

Mabel Wisse Smit's gown of bows still lives on in infamy HAIL TO OUR LADY OF THE BOWS
Old 07-03-2006, 04:51 PM
Courtier

Talking

I have to admit that Camilla Parker-Bowes surprised me (pleasantly!) with her gown she wore during the blessing ceremony. I was ooooing and ahhhing during the entire ceremony

Her daughter Laura was also very lovely on her wedding day. Her glow outshone the sun.:)
Old 07-03-2006, 05:04 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Down the street. It's the third house on the right, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgrant
I have to admit that Camilla Parker-Bowes surprised me (pleasantly!) with her gown she wore during the blessing ceremony. I was ooooing and ahhhing during the entire ceremony
Her outfit was very nice. Very pretty & tasteful. I am also a fan of Lady Sarah Chatto's (nee Armstrong-Jones) wedding dress & Lady Davina Lewis (nee Windsor).

Live, Highlander. Grow stronger. Fight another day. Highlander: The Series

Tags
bride, fashion, royal weddings, royal weddings; royal wedding dresses, wedding dress