Best Dressed Guest at the Swedish Royal Wedding (2010)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Best Dressed Guest?

• A. Queen Silvia of Sweden

Votes: 47 15.5%
  • B. Queen Sofia of Spain

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • C. Queen Margrethe of Denmark

Votes: 10 3.3%
  • D. Queen Beatrix of The Netherlands

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • E. Queen Sonja of Norway

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • F. Queen Rania of Jordan

• G. Grand Duchess Maria Teresa of Luxembourg

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • H. Princess Madeleine of Sweden

Votes: 21 6.9%
  • I. Crown Princess Mette-Marit of Norway

Votes: 42 13.8%
  • J. Sophie, Countess of Wessex

Votes: 7 2.3%
  • K. Miss Charlene Wittstock

Votes: 15 4.9%
  • L. Crown Princess Mary of Denmark

Votes: 38 12.5%
  • M. Letizia, Princess of Asturias

Votes: 27 8.9%
  • N. Princess Máxima of the Netherlands

Votes: 18 5.9%
  • O. Crown Princess Mathilde, Duchess of Brabant

Votes: 24 7.9%
  • P. Princess Märtha-Louise of Norway

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • Q. Princess Rym of Jordan

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • R. Infanta Elena of Spain

Votes: 6 2.0%
  • S. Infanta Cristina of Spain, Duchess of Palma de Mallorca

Votes: 10 3.3%
  • T. Other

• Total voters
I thought all the ladies looked so elegant and feminine, and I am in love with a lot of the dresses, although I voted for Princess Mette-Marit.

She wasn't included on the poll, but I still would have voted for my choice, Queen Silvia. Petite woman over 60 years of age with a great figure can still pull off a pink gown and that whopper of a tiara without it looking like she is playing dress up. And considering the lack of rest/sleep she must have experienced for the last several weeks and in particular, this week, she appeared fresh, relaxed, happy, and proud. CP Victoria stole her own show at the wedding, but her mother brought this huge event back to what it really is, proud parents seeing their children on the happiest day.

I thought Queen Silvia looked very beautiful, but it doesn't surprise me that a woman her age can still look beautiful. I used to work in a retirement home where I always thought some of the older ladies were beautiful, even when compared to young girls. The women there were mostly well-to-do and maybe because of that they were always well-dressed and a lot of them were quite slim. But also, they had a kind of class that money alone can't buy. The aging Hollywood starlets with their plastic surgery and attempts to dress youthful can't compare, IMO, to an elegantly dressed older lady like Queen Silvia. She really looked beautiful.

LOL rmay286. I think we all know Silvia has had her share of plastic surgery over the years...probably a little too much. And she obviously colors her hair as needed, just as her mother did for most of her life.

But you are correct in that there is a grace, elegance, and serene presence in Queen Silvia that transcends money, titles, upbringing, or breeding. I suppose I would call it a quiet dignity and sense of self that she carries herself with such gentle power. It seems to me that when she enters a room, everyone KNOWS she is the queen, but no one is intimidated by that because she does not place herself above others.

Even with a beautiful gown and stunning jewels that outdid everyone else on that day, this woman was never aware of the cameras, making every opportunity to let her daughter shine and to make her new son-in-law feel comfortable and welcome. That is truly a classy lady.

My list of the best dressed:
1) Queen Silvia (What can I say besides "Marvelous!)
2) Mette-Marit (She's just a beautiful woman who knows what works for her body. I almost always like what MM is wearing.)
3) Princess Madeleine (She can make a potato sack look pretty. I didn't like the color but she pulled it off nicely)

My list of the okay/worst dressed:
1) The Mabel woman (I don't really know who she is)
2) Rania (She looked too messy)
3) Martha-Louise (I can't come to grips with her style)
4) Mary (I was just really disappointed in her dress)

Loved

Mathilde
Mette-Marit
Titiana Blatnik
Q. Silvia

Liked
Maxima
GD Maria Theresa
Mary
Madeleine
Charlene Wittstock

Dislike
Mabel
Letizia
Sophie of Wessex

LOL rmay286. I think we all know Silvia has had her share of plastic surgery over the years...probably a little too much. And she obviously colors her hair as needed, just as her mother did for most of her life.

But you are correct in that there is a grace, elegance, and serene presence in Queen Silvia that transcends money, titles, upbringing, or breeding. I suppose I would call it a quiet dignity and sense of self that she carries herself with such gentle power. It seems to me that when she enters a room, everyone KNOWS she is the queen, but no one is intimidated by that because she does not place herself above others.

Even with a beautiful gown and stunning jewels that outdid everyone else on that day, this woman was never aware of the cameras, making every opportunity to let her daughter shine and to make her new son-in-law feel comfortable and welcome. That is truly a classy lady.

OK, hold on just a second... Queen Silvia has had plastic surgery?????:eek: Boy, am I out of the loop!:ROFLMAO:

ITA, and the fit was perfection! My pick for winner of the day...aside from CP Victoria.
Yes, Mathilde was lovely, and I love the color of the gown. It really suits her complexion.:flowers:

My picks..

As far as the Queens are concerned I liked Sylvia the most. My this woman has natural flowing good looks and never appears unattractive in some way, be it through her hairdo, clothing or staring glance. I also liked Queen Beatrix's red dress that reminded me a little of the Spanish ruffles.

The Crown Princess that impressed me the most was Mette-Marit. The blue reminded me of something to the blueness of the sky or water. It impressed me the most. But sometimes I wondered if Letizia was the best dressed with her hair braided, the humble tiara and skin paired dress.

As to who I picked as the best dressed, I chose Madeleine of Sweden. She really glowed and gleamed. The blue was other worldly yet it wasn't tacky or neon shall we say. Her tiara was to die for; as I will add, was seeing her smile after all that stigma of having to deal with letting go of her long love. Her smile was priceless.

Anyways, I think the bride was riveting and that is who mattered the most. :flowers:

OK, hold on just a second... Queen Silvia has had plastic surgery?????:eek: Boy, am I out of the loop!:ROFLMAO:

Yes she has...including Botox.
I read an article in which Silvia mentioned she had work done and she said nowadays theres a lot of things we can do to keep our youth, unlike generations in the past.

Yes she has...including Botox.
I read an article in which Silvia mentioned she had work done and she said nowadays theres a lot of things we can do to keep our youth, unlike generations in the past.

Well good for her then. She wears it well.....:flowers: I would have never known so I guess her physicians did a really good job. Can I get their names?:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Not sure I can decide on who was best dressed. But, I do think I'm the only person here who liked Infanta Elena's dress and jacket.

I did not like Mabel's outfit, though thought of her last night as I attended a black tie function wearing pants. While I am a big fan of Queen Beatrix, I did not like her outfit for the wedding. Oh, and I didn't like that Queen Rania's dress only had one sleeve. That looked a bit bizarre.

Otherwise, I thought all the women looked beautiful. Even the green dress, can't remember who wore it. I loved the dress and if I had worn it would have definitely picked a different color. Not many people can wear that particular color, the royal who wore it is one who can and did.

Best dressed and not so well

I agree with the selection. This time Maria Teresa of Luxembourg had enough discretion to cover herself enough not to show the fact that she is more than slightly overweight. By the way and on an entirely different note, I have never understood Maria Teresa's desire to carry out all sorts of charity work and while her own brother languishes in Florida and is entirely supported by the US public assistance, i.e. MEDICAID. He is a lovely man who suffers from depression. I would have thought that someone so catholic and given to charity would have a bit more compassion for her own brother and would have had him live near her or her siblings in Geneva.

Not all of us are as close to family as we'd either like to be or as others would like us to be. It happens. There's members of my family I haven't spoken to or seen in over 20 years, and we live not more than a few hours away from each other. Maria Theresa and her brother are separated by more than a few thousand miles.

Perhaps MT's brother doesn't admit his depression to his family, or rejects offers of help with hostility. If he is depressed, he may be the one creating the distance...not her.

But I believe this discussion is for a different thread/forum. As to this topic, MT has no place here either...she is in my bottom five.

I agree with the selection. This time Maria Teresa of Luxembourg had enough discretion to cover herself enough not to show the fact that she is more than slightly overweight. By the way and on an entirely different note, I have never understood Maria Teresa's desire to carry out all sorts of charity work and while her own brother languishes in Florida and is entirely supported by the US public assistance, i.e. MEDICAID. He is a lovely man who suffers from depression. I would have thought that someone so catholic and given to charity would have a bit more compassion for her own brother and would have had him live near her or her siblings in Geneva.

Perhaps MT's brother doesn't admit his depression to his family, or rejects offers of help with hostility. If he is depressed, he may be the one creating the distance...not her.

But I believe this discussion is for a different thread/forum. As to this topic, MT has no place here either...she is in my bottom five.
I agree. But in answer to your remark: yes he has always admitted his great depression because he has suffered from it since his adolescence. The whole family is aware but they much prefer the US public assistance to care for him.

No, I didn't know this either (I know next to nothing about Swedish royalty)! That does put an ironic twist on me comparing her with Hollywood starlets...:lol:

I still think Queen Silvia looked great. And so did almost all the other guests. I just enjoy looking at pictures of this wedding.

1-Maria Teresa is NOT "more than slightly over-weight", IMO that's how her body is and a stricter diet would not be healthy for her. And in this case the good choice is not to "cover herself" but to chose right clothes, like she did!
2-MEDICAID is something to which people has RIGHT. MT does the right choice in helping people who don't even have MEDICAID. I mean, are you asking her to stop helping poor people for making the US government richer??

Amadea, you seem like a true fan of Grand Duchess Maria Teresa. I am a fan of hers as well. But we also have to be honest and realistic. As a woman who has borne five children and is in the mid-point of her life, I don't think anyone expects her to be as thin as she was when she married or even after having the first three of her children. But in the last ten years of her life, MT has been in a struggle (I think an emotional one) which has resulted in dramatic fluctuations in her weight. The best she looked was in the last set of official photographs released. She was her thinnest in years but still not thin. I thought she looked beautiful and that she needed no more weight loss. By contrast, yesterday it is very clear that she is carrying significantly more weight, one of her heaviest times. And unfortunately the Grand Duchess usually gets it all wrong at these times. The hair, tiara, makeup and dress - nothing worked. I wish her the best, hope that she finds some happiness/personal peace, and if she came to accept herself as a beautiful woman at any weight, would learn how to properly dress and style herself to her greatest advantage.

The best dressed was Queen Silvia! :)
The worst dressed was Mabel :eek: and I was really disappointed by Letizia's choice.

Letizia is Best Dressed!
Q. Rania was terrible!

Did anyone know something about G.D. Maria Teresa's Tiara?
I find it looks stunning!

The best dressed:
1. Crownprincess Mette-Marit ( everything was perfect)
2. Princess Madeleine ( Great colour and shape)
3.Queen Margrethe ( she is the only one who can use that colour)
4. Queen Silvia ( Looking so great, loved the tiara)
5. Crownprincess Mary ( she looks great no matter what)

Worst dressed:
1. Princess Mabel ( have no word for that dress)
2. Crownprincess Letizia ( wrong colour for here)
3. Queen Beatrix ( oh dear....don`t suit for a wedding)
4. Princess Martha Louise (great colour but wrong shape)
5. Queen Sonja ( Never liked that dress)

Definitely Queen Silvia for me - sheer perfection, almost in a class of her own.
Followed by Queen Sofia from her generation, and Crown Princess Mette-Marit from the younger generation.

Worst:
Infanta Elena starring in a Walt Disney musical about Spain, and Queen Rania attending a minor award ceremony in Hollywood as nominee.
Rock bottom - definitely in a class (and a world) of her own: Princess Mabel.

Bride Crown Princess Victoria out shined all her guest.

But these guest were the best dress:
Queen Silvia and Queen Sofia
Crown Princess Mathilde, Crown Princess Mary, and Crown Princess Letizia
Princess Madeleine of Sweden
Charlene Whittstock:flowers:

Maria Theresia of Luxemburg was really overdressed with her Tiara. :D

My absolute favourite was Mette-Marit. She was so lovely. I particularly loved her hair and tiara.
Madeleine was my second favourite, loved the colour of her dress.
Letizia's hair was stunning, I'm not sure about her dress though, it might've looked better in a different colour. The style of Maxima's dress was the wrong shape for her body and the colour was all wrong.
I loved the colour of Queen Rania's dress but the style was disappointing. She has worn such stunning gowns over the years, I don't know what made her choose the one she wore at the wedding.
I overlooked Infanta Cristina earlier. She also looked lovely in a gorgeous shade of green.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom