Best Dressed Guest at the Swedish Royal Wedding (2010)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Best Dressed Guest?

• A. Queen Silvia of Sweden

Votes: 47 15.5%
  • B. Queen Sofia of Spain

Votes: 9 3.0%
  • C. Queen Margrethe of Denmark

Votes: 10 3.3%
  • D. Queen Beatrix of The Netherlands

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • E. Queen Sonja of Norway

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • F. Queen Rania of Jordan

• G. Grand Duchess Maria Teresa of Luxembourg

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • H. Princess Madeleine of Sweden

Votes: 21 6.9%
  • I. Crown Princess Mette-Marit of Norway

Votes: 42 13.8%
  • J. Sophie, Countess of Wessex

Votes: 7 2.3%
  • K. Miss Charlene Wittstock

Votes: 15 4.9%
  • L. Crown Princess Mary of Denmark

Votes: 38 12.5%
  • M. Letizia, Princess of Asturias

Votes: 27 8.9%
  • N. Princess Máxima of the Netherlands

Votes: 18 5.9%
  • O. Crown Princess Mathilde, Duchess of Brabant

Votes: 24 7.9%
  • P. Princess Märtha-Louise of Norway

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • Q. Princess Rym of Jordan

Votes: 4 1.3%
  • R. Infanta Elena of Spain

Votes: 6 2.0%
  • S. Infanta Cristina of Spain, Duchess of Palma de Mallorca

Votes: 10 3.3%
  • T. Other

• Total voters
Princess Madeleine, for me. That dress was gorgeous.

^The more I see this get up, the stupider she looks. Sorry for being so harsh, but how is it ok to show up to someone's wedding like that. I hope she didn't get her picture taken with the couple, very inappropriate.

You haven't seen the infamous photo of Laurentien at Frederik and Mary's wedding where she wasn't wearing a brassiere. Now THAT was inappropriate. At least Mabel is wearing undergarments.

On the whole though, I agree with you. Mabel is a hot mess every time she leaves the house. I don't think I've ever seen a picture of her at a formal or official function where she looks properly styled.

I think the Jordanian royal ladies all looked stunning

Hard decision - I liked so many of them! My favorite of the older generation was Silvia, Tatiana for the younger women. Very different animals, but I ended up voting for Silvia. She looked so all-around perfect (and I was nervous about her because she has a tendency to dress too young for her age)! Tatiana's was so unique, so stylish, and so beautiful. I can't wait to see her wedding dress.

My runners-up were Sonja (even though we've seen that dress a million times before), Mathilde, Martha Louise, and Maxima.

The only one I can say I absolutely hated was Mabel. What was she thinking? How could anyone possibly think that would be a good choice?

And I agree that Elena should lose the jacket, but her skirt is wonderfully pretty in its fullness.

I voted for Silvia, but I almost voted for Maria Teresa as this is the best I've ever seen her look.

Princess Mabel..ugh, what is that?!?!? Looks like an outfit to wear to a disco.:ermm:

I like the top...But that skirt (is that correct? :flowers:) is horrible!!!!:bang:

Someone was saying in a post in another thread that Mabel tore the skirt that should have gone with the top, and had to improvise with the pants. Although it's not the best look for a wedding she has to be given points for ingenuity good on her for having the guts to do it:flowers:

She definitely is, and I must give her points for how she's handled herself the last few days. I got on her case pretty bad about gallivanting around the US instead of being back in Sweden with her sister when the wedding was fast approaching but she's definitely been comporting herself with grace and dignity, during what is no doubt a bittersweet time for her.

My vote goes definitely to Queen Silvia.

My second favorite is Tatiana Blatnik.
Tatiana carried herself gracefully but the gown was not exactly for a wedding imo. however she was gorgeous.Queen Margrethe gown would have looked great if she was twenty pounds thinner as it was an extraodinarily elegant design[who designed it?] but a big bird colour as was that of Queen Sonja of Norway"s pleated catastrophe gown.
For Queen Silvia to beat out ladies half her age is quite extraordinary. However I loved the way she dressed always.I also loved her wedding gown by Marc Bphan for Dior it was fabulous.
Do not know what the is seen in Mette Marit's gown.. a bit pale for my liking and busy. with flounces that need a slimmer figure.

Letizia wins it for me, hair, make up and that dress was just beautiful.
The color might not be its best on her but I could not imagine it in another color.

Second is MM & Mary.

I voted for Queen Silvia. Her entire look was flawless and altogether regal.

But it was really hard to choose as so many of the royal ladies looked lovely, but there something amiss in their respective looks that kept Silvia at the top of my favorites. So my runners up are ...

Queen Sofia - Her dress was so delicate and feminine but I found the sash draped down the front to subtract from its elegance.
Queen Margrethe
- This gown was simply regal and cut so well, but I don't care for the color, which, I think, gives the dress a 'tacky' air.
Crown Princess Mary
- Mary looked stunning and her gown was beautiful, even though it lacked 'wow' factor. Although lovely on its own, I really did not like the lace top of her dress.
Crown Princess Mathilde - This dress was elegant and its color amazing yet it was nothing special and I found the shoulder strap to be distracting and thought the necklace was not the best match.
Infanta Christina
- A lovely style of dress, but I would have preferred it in a deeper jewel tone or pastel color.
Tatiana Blatnik - Aside from her hair, the fringe in particular, she looked majestic, but I personally feel that for a traditional wedding in a church one can do demure a little better than a strapless gown with a sheer shawl for coverage (and this applies to other gowns as well).
Princess Letizia
- I'm undecided.

of course, for me the best dressed was the lovely victoria. her dress was pure simplicity and elegance. but after victoria...

margrethe: i think she looks lovely in green. i loved this dress when i saw it the first time.
sonja: same goes for sonja, i always liked that coral dress of hers.
rania: contrary to what everyone said, i quite liked the dress. the colour is beautiful. i would have liked another hairstyle, it wasn't at all becoming. she is so beautiful, but the hairdo didn't do her any favours.
grand duchess maria teresa: i don't think her dress was very flattering either.
madeleine: beautiful. i loved the tiara she chose as well.
mette marit: i'm not a fan of that skirt at all. top part of the dress was nice. in general, an expected choice, always in pastels, that suit her nicely but i wish she would have gone for a bolder choice. unimpressed.
sophie: i think she looked beautiful. the dress was lovely and a change from her usual ones.
charlene: not bad, i like the cut of the gown, but it seems to have washed her a bit.
mary: okay, but not impressed. the top was falling on one side due to the heaviness of the medals. a thicker fabric would have been better. she has nicer dresses though.
letizia: okay again, a different style from what she usually wears but that colour doesn't suit her much.
maxima: nice gown, but again, she has better ones, the one last night was lovely, i wish she would have worn it for the wedding instead, even if a repeat. that dress ought to be shown!
mathilde: beautiful. i love the fabric and the colour. nice choice.
rym: i didn't like it much but it's a different style...
elena: mmmm, no. i didn't like this much.
rosario nadal: i really liked this! beautiful gown.
laurentien: there was too much going on. i wish she would have kept it simple.
mabel: what was she thinking?
tatiana blatnik: i think she looked lovely. that was one nice dress. i loved the detail in its front

Last edited:
The best dressed were Tatiana and Rosario, but that's not surprising because they both work in fashion.
I liked Mathilde too.
Mary was well dressed but because she's always awesome I expected more.
Not bad also Mette Marit, queen Sofia, queen Silvia, the Spanish Infantas, the princess of Liechtenstein.
Queen Paola looked quite good, but I don't like the lower part of her dress.
Queen Rania disappointed me. I don't like her dress, the colour of it, her hairdo, her make up and she didn't even look interested or happy of being there.
I don't like very much Madeleine dress, particularly the colour, that looks very bad on her skin colour.
For me, the problem with Mabel's dress was the tutu thing, if she really wanted to were something similar, it was better to wear trousers without tutu. Don't think that it is forbidden. Of course, a traditional dress would have been a far better choice.
Princess Astrid had a good dress, but it was 10 cm too short so the whole thing became awful! She's so elegant sometimes and sometimes she make such horrible mistakes!
The queen of Denmark is recycling too much, is it possible that she's always wearing the same things? IMO it become rude, it is as not giving the right importance to the event, that is the wedding of the crown princess of such a friend country!
I don't like Maxima and Claire of Belgium dresses for the same reason: they looked much fatter than they are, in them. Then the colour of Maxima's dress was also bad, a bit sad.
I didn't like at all also Letizia's dress and her hairdo as well. It was also a bad choice to wear the same colour than queen Sofia.
Catherine of Serbia's dress make her seem larger than higher, a true disaster (just as the one she wore the day before).

Hereditary Princess Sophie of Leichtenstein looked superbly put together.

I've voted for Madeleine from the young generation, I really thought that she looked good.
The other young royals, like the CPs, also looked good, but without Wow-Factor. Mathilde, MM & Maxima are professionals in great gala, Mary and Letizia looked rather average.

Worst dressed: Mabel!!!!!!
I didnt like Elena's matador cape and Queen Rania, gee, she's losing her natural beauty. Tacky and plastic comes to my mind, terrible hair.

For me:
1. Princess Mathilde
2. Princess Mette-Marit
3. Princess Claire
4. Infanta Cristina
5. Princess Letizia
6. Princess Mary
7. Queen Rania

Sophie of Liechtenstein was wearing a beautiful dress, too bad she isn't in the poll.

I completely agree about Sophie of Liechtenstein. We rarely get to see them, but great fringe tiara or not, Sophie looked AMAZING! Beautiful dress, fit her like a glove (THAT BODY and after what..6 kids?), elegant walk and, of course, that knockout tiara.

She wasn't included on the poll, but I still would have voted for my choice, Queen Silvia. Petite woman over 60 years of age with a great figure can still pull off a pink gown and that whopper of a tiara without it looking like she is playing dress up. And considering the lack of rest/sleep she must have experienced for the last several weeks and in particular, this week, she appeared fresh, relaxed, happy, and proud. CP Victoria stole her own show at the wedding, but her mother brought this huge event back to what it really is, proud parents seeing their children on the happiest day.

You haven't seen the infamous photo of Laurentien at Frederik and Mary's wedding where she wasn't wearing a brassiere. Now THAT was inappropriate. At least Mabel is wearing undergarments.
Well then, lucky me because I think the lady looked crazy:eek:

None of the dresses was a really extraordinary dress I would remember. But most of the ladies looked nice and appropriate. For me:

1. CP Letizia: it is not her best, but I like this femminine, soft, innocent look. The hairdo was great.

2. P Madeleine: I like everything about her look. And the beautiful tiara helped a lot.

3. CP Mette-Marit: MM chooses great dresses and hairdos lately.

4. Tatiana Blatnik: stunning.

5. CP Maxima: I like the dress but I think it might look better on a thinner woman because it gives some extra kilos.

Mathilde, Mary and Martha-Louise looked nice too, but nothing special. Infanta Cristina wore an interesting colour, but the dress didnt fit well in the breast area.

I voted for Mathilde. Just beautiful, I would like to wear this dress.
I like also: Silvia, Madeleine, Mette-Marit and Maria Teresa(but not with this tiara).

^Yes, I did notice her, but did not know who she is. The color is spectacular and I love the placement of her broach. Beautiful!

My choises

Queens
1 Silvia
2 Sonja
3 Paola

Crown princesses
1 Mathilde
2 Mette Marit
3 Letizia

Other Royals
1 Claire
2 Madeleine
3 Tatiana

On anther thread last week I addressed the newly consistent elegance of Mette-Marit but wrote about her lack of good posture which would enhance her overall presentation even more. In particular I spoke about her height and using that to her advantage, displaying confidence and grace. The arrivals at the wedding gave me a perfect example. Queen Margrethe II is a very tall woman. Even with her advanced age and knee problems, you never see her slouching, shoulders hunched over, wearing too low a heel, etc. She always appears stately, dignified, and regal.

I also got another look at someone who consistently provides the other end of the spectrum...Astrid of Belgium. She sometimes has the most beautiful clothing but is always hunched over and looks like she uses her arms to keep her dress in place (even ones with sleeves). It gives a very inelegant appearance. MM has improved some, but she should look at a picture or video tape of each of these ladies to see the dramatic constrast.

***BIG surprise to see Rosario arriving with Kyril. And the biggest shock of the day for me was how much she was smiling, even with walking and talking with him. She is almost never pictured with a smile (maybe once in the last 10 years) in print. I know the media probably select the pictures to intentionally show her looking miserable, but what a refreshing change in my reaction. I don't know that they are "together" or plan to be "together" again, but I thought she looked lovely and hope she would continue to display that elegance.

Back
Top Bottom