Best Crown Princess Wedding Dress

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I did a new one:

1.Mette Marit

2.Victoria

3.Maxima

1. Maxima
2. Mary
3. Mette-Marit
I'm actually surprised so many people liked Victoria's gown. It seemed very boring to me and had nothing memorable about it. Now from the neck up is a different story.

I have to say I liked Mary's Mette Marit's and Victoria's the best.

I am iffy on Maxima's dress I like the veil and the skirt. I think if she had a neckline like the ladies I mentioned I might like it better.

The others I didn't care for though I will say they are better then the bow dress.

Now that we have few more weddings of reigning families out of the way, I have new rankings for bridal looks of this ~century's (so starting with Mathilde in 1999) crop of of crown princesses/consorts/future consorts. I feel like there should be two kinds of rankings: one for the gown itself and one for the overall look, taking account hair, makeup, veil and fit of the gown:

Rankings by just the gowns:
1. Maxima of the Netherlands
2. Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge
3. Mette-Marit of Norway
4. Letizia of Spain
5. Charlene of Monaco
6. Mathilde of Belgium
7. Victoria of Sweden
8. Mary of Denmark

Definitely being a haute couture designer helps in this category (high marks for Valentino, Sarah Burton/McQueen, and Armani). Both Maxima's, Catherine's and Charlene's gowns had mastery of construction. The embroidery on Letizia's (very regal and symbolic) and Charlene's dress were divine, although I do think Armani went a little overboard with that "column of embroidery down the middle seam" (that seem really bugs me too) Charlene's. Nothing particularly "wrong" with Mathilde and Victoria's dress but found them boring. Mary's is last place because the dress had so much potential with immensely flattering neckline but the cutaways/pleats/folds to reveal the lace underneath was a disaster. I get the novelty of the idea and I think it have been just one panel of revealed lace in down the middle of the skirt, it would have been fine. But you could see the disaster as she was walking out of the church: the overskirt was secured to the lace with stitches at the bottom (I guess so not to damage the lace) and the two layers would separate, the different panels of the overskirt "ballooning" away from the rest of the dress as she walked.

Rankings by overall look:
1. Mette-Marit of Norway
2. Charlene of Monaco
3. Maxima of the Netherlands
4. Mathilde of Belgium
5. Victoria of Sweden
6. Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge
7. Letizia of Spain
8. Mary of Denmark

I know lots of people did not like Mette-Marit's minimal makeup, but everything about that dress, veil and hair made her look like a angelic fairy tale princess (in a good/non 80s a la Diana way). The delicate material of the train and veil (and I generally a big fan of lace veils) made her float on video and in pictures. The image was simply magical. Charlene had equally perfect hair and makeup but I give Charlene the edge because you got to see her radiant beauty more with her off the shoulder dress, low chignon and discrete but impressive hair ornament compared to Maxima's stately big tiara, lace veil and high neckline look. Mathilde and Victoria, again, nothing wrong but nothing particularly impressive except for their heirloom veils and tiaras. Catherine's makeup and hair were iffy, but what disappointed me was the veil: too short and too flimsy and it got blow around like a scarf. I can't quite put my finger on exactly what was wrong with Letizia's look, but I thing the combination of the impressive but heavy dress hairdo and makeup made her look "severe." Probably more curved lines on her dress would had "softened" the look. Poor Mary, again, having a spectacular and historic heirloom veil but with a disastrous result. First, the tiara just sucks, IMO: its too small and the design is not great. Then came the hair: 1) Too big for the tiara AND 2) because the puny tiara backed up against the hair, the tiny thing just disappeared veil AND 3)the hair was not just high, but fanned out to the sides which created a weird fold on the veil near her ears, giving her what many people have called the milkmaid look.

*Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall does qualify for these rankings and would definitely be in the top 3 in both these categories but I didn't think it was appropriate to compare her look to first-time brides on the list.

Last edited:
I'm sorry but isn't Catherine not a Crown Princess?

Not until William becomes the Crown Prince, which he will become when Charles becomes king. Charles is Crown Prince. Am I right? :flowers:

Yes, I know Catherine is not a crown princess and neither is Charlene, but I guess I'm talking about major royal weddings of the past decade involving consorts or future consorts (and a future regnant in Victoria's case). I think they all should be grouped together because Catherine and Charlene would be crown/hereditary princess when Charles becomes king or had Charlene married Albert before Rainier's death, respectively. Thus, their weddings were as high profile as any other de facto crown princess event, and their dresses were equally watched, followed and scrutinized. Camilla is a crown princess, too but it was a second wedding, so not going to compare her more "mature" gown to those white dresses of first time brides. Diana's could be ranked, too, but I wanted to keep things to within the last decade-ish to have a fair comparison.

Last edited:
1)Maxima
2)Charlene
3)Victoria
4)Mette-Marit

Ranked by overrall look, I would put Charlene at #1...she hit it out of the park on every level.

Since we are only talking about Crown Princesses, I cannot put the Duchess of Cambridge on my list...if we were discussing Royal or aristocratic brides in general she would definitely make my list! :whistling:

Last edited:
1)Maxima
2)Charlene
3)Victoria
4)Mette-Marit

Ranked by overrall look, I would put Charlene at #1...she hit it out of the park on every level.

Since we are only talking about Crown Princesses, I cannot put the Duchess of Cambridge on my list...if we were discussing Royal or aristocratic brides in general she would definitely make my list! :whistling:

And then Máxima is not a Crown Princess - she is married to a Crown Prince but doesn't bear the title of Crown Princess.

Catherine isn't on the list, she is not a Crown Princess and won't be until Charles becomes king. I think Charlene could be viewed as a Crown Princess or actually higher than one because she is married to the ruler of the country. Maxima is married to a Crown Prince then that puts her on the list.

Catherine isn't on the list, she is not a Crown Princess and won't be until Charles becomes king. I think Charlene could be viewed as a Crown Princess or actually higher than one because she is married to the ruler of the country. Maxima is married to a Crown Prince then that puts her on the list.

Then I find the list to be incomplete - but I suppose the mentioned 4 are the favourites so I'll leave it at this.

Hey Empress Rouge is right, Camilla should be on the list, she is technically a Crown Princess.

my new list
1- Maxima
2- Letizia
3- Catherine
4- Mathilde
5- Victoria
6- Charlene
7- Mary
8- Mette-Marit

Nothing has changed, Catherine is still not a crown princess.

Definitely the best
1. CP MAxima
2. CP Victoria
3. Catherine ( she is not a CP :D)
4. Charlene (DITTO)
5. CP Mette-Marit
6. CP Mathilde
7. CP Mary

Princess Crown Princess Charlene can not be declared. Because the title will not be announced as the title of Queen as the highest level.

My favorite was Crown Princess Victoria's wedding dress...it was just so elegant and timeless and it was so nicely symmetrical, well-tailored and didn't overwhelm her frame!

Nothing has changed, Catherine is still not a crown princess.
But Camilla is and I believe her dress deserves recognition.

IMO her wedding dress looked wonderful and, to be honest, better than some of the other Crown Princesses whose dresses are on the list.

It was very dull shade of grey and I do not believe that any bride should select the colour grey for a wedding gown. If white cannot be worn, light pastel shades are a far more suitable option. As for the head dress, a bit "Las Vegas" showgirl I am afraid.

It was very dull shade of grey and I do not believe that any bride should select the colour grey for a wedding gown. If white cannot be worn, light pastel shades are a far more suitable option. As for the head dress, a bit "Las Vegas" showgirl I am afraid.

Are you referring to Camilla's wedding outfit? That was not grey, the civil ceremony attire was oyster white and the blessing ceremony was porcelain blue or pale blue if you like.

1. Victoria
2. Letizia
3. Mette Marit
Don´t like the others.

Camilla's Blessing gown was blue, not grey, with gold embroidery. She wore cream for her wedding. Historically, pale or pearl grey was a traditional wedding gown hue. My grandmother's gown in 1921 was dove grey silk. We still have it and it is beautiful.

I think Letizia's and Rania's gowns are very much alike. Camilla's gown ( to me) is barely reminiscent of L's & R's.

Last edited:
1. Victoria & Mette-Marit (tie)
2. Mathilde
3. Letizia

Don't care for the dresses Maxima & Mary wore for their weddings.

But Camilla is and I believe her dress deserves recognition.

IMO her wedding dress looked wonderful and, to be honest, better than some of the other Crown Princesses whose dresses are on the list.

I agree that Cam is a Crown Princess and she had a very beautiful dress/gown. As has been stated before, she was a second wife and she was past middle age; not only did she wear a gown that was appropriate for her situation, but it would also be beautiful on a young bride who is getting married in a small church or court house.

Crown Princess Mette-Marit looks like Rapunzel in her wedding dress because of her long veil. But still she is beautiful!

CP Victoria's wedding dress is also beatiful. The best part is the diadem she's wearing! :rose:

The best for me:

1.Mette Marit
2.Victoria
3.Maxima
4.Mathilde

Worst

1.Mary
2.Letizia

Are you referring to Camilla's wedding outfit? That was not grey, the civil ceremony attire was oyster white and the blessing ceremony was porcelain blue or pale blue if you like.

Call it pale blue if you like but it does look very grey in the photographs. In fact the gown even matches Charles' grey pin stripe trousers. Obviously this was Camilla's choice but not at all a flattering colour.

If the designers call it pale blue, I don't think i'd doubt them.

Back
Top Bottom