The Coronation of King Rama X

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I agree that it would be Charles and Camilla that attend and at the very least, Charles by himself. Nobody else would be correct to send.

I for one intend to watch everything connected with this coronation. The ceremonies that the Thai people put on are extraordinary and with so much meaning.

First in line or second in line would be great.

Actually the biggest insult would be to send The Duke of York or the Wessex’s. This is a grand occasion to send the Wales or Cambridge branch.

Well then we may witness an insult in May. The Duke of York was the British royal who attended the last big events in Thailand, the late King Bhumibol's cremation ceremony and his 60th Jubilee celebrations, even though most of the other royal attendees were heirs and monarchs. Honestly, I would be surprised if he didn't attend.

Last edited:
Well then we may witness an insult in May. The Duke of York was the British royal who attended the last big events in Thailand, the late King Bhumibol's cremation ceremony and his 60th Jubilee celebrations, even though most of the other royal attendees were heirs and monarchs. Honestly, I would be surprised if he didn't attend.

Oh, I think that just might happen. This is such a grand and historic event and it deserve to be attended by only the immediate heirs; first or second in line to the throne. Of course knowing the British, a Royal way down the list could be sent.

I would expect Charles to attend but wouldn't be surprised if Andrew didn't also attend as he is the one who does visit Thailand and the rest of south-Asia the most.

I would expect Charles to also attend the coronation in Japan.

It is standard protocol for the heir to the throne to attend these events, not the 2nd in line or anyone else. Unless the heir is indisposed it would be an insult to send anyone lower and not send the heir.

I would expect Charles to attend but wouldn't be surprised if Andrew didn't also attend as he is the one who does visit Thailand and the rest of south-Asia the most.

I would expect Charles to also attend the coronation in Japan.

It is standard protocol for the heir to the throne to attend these events, not the 2nd in line or anyone else. Unless the heir is indisposed it would be an insult to send anyone lower and not send the heir.

But that’s what the British do. They for some reason send the non immediate heirs or don’t send anyone at all. Too many events have occurred without the presence of the Wales or Cambridge branch. This is a Coronation of the King of Siam. Only the first or second in line should attend. Charles and Camilla, or, if they can’t go, then the Cambridge’s. William is the most senior royal after Charles which is why I’m including him. It’s the Cambridge’s place to attend these events too.

For weddings they may send someone lower - or funerals or jubilees.

For enthronements/coronations they send Charles e.g. The Netherlands enthronement was Charles and Camilla. They also attended the wedding of Crown Prince, now King Felipe of Spain.

I would expect Charles as heir and Andrew due to his own personal links as south Asia is an area where he does a lot of work and he attended the funeral.

William isn't high enough in rank. He is only the grandson of the monarch - that is what a lot of people forget - he is the GRANDSON of the monarch. Line of succession is not the determining factor but relationship to the monarch - and SON trumps GRANDSON.

The British send the sons of the monarch not the grandsons. The Queen knows which ones to send and sends the appropriate person - one of her own children rather than a mere grandson. It is her children she sends to celebrate major anniversaries with foreign countries.

When Charles is King he can send his sons but while it is the Queen she will send her children.

Are we sure foreign royals will attend at all?
This isn’t a European coronation, things might be different (and even in Europe it's different in every country).

The last time King Bhumibol was crowned there was no foreign royals presented at the ceremony (at least to my knowledge), only foreign diplomats were presented. Maybe this time, too, there would be no royals from other countries participate in the event. However, no ones really knows how the ceremony will unfolded or how the royal bureau has planned. Shall wait until official details announced which I expect to happen in the next couple of months.

Last edited:
Queen Elizabeth II was said to be close to King Bhumibol. This was implied in a televised version of the Queen's 2017 Christmas Message, the year King Bhumibol was cremated, as you might have noticed that there was one item on her desk that looked rather Thai. It said to be a gift once King Bhumibol gave to her. So, there be this myth that she quietly mourns his death. However this has never been confirmed if such item was really a gift from King Bhumibol or not.

In another story, close relationship between the Emperor and Empress of Japan and the Thai monarch was explicitly evident. It all began with 'an exhibition about fishes' in 1964. This is confirmed by Their Imperial Majesties' private visit at the end of a state visit to Vietnam to pay respect before his urn in early 2017 as farewell to a dear friend.

Too bad, these kind of relationships have not been passed on to the likes of next generation because of 'an incident in Japan in 1987' and 'an incident in Britain in 1996' circulated around, then, the heir to the throne.

Anyway, back to the topic. Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn to chair a committee that oversees arrangements for the coronation.
Government offers key coronation role to Princess

Wassana Nanuam | Bangkok Post | 3 Jan 2019 at 04:00

The government will invite Her Royal Highness Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn to chair a committee overseeing arrangements for His Majesty the King's coronation, Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha said.

The invitation comes after the Royal Household Bureau announced on Tuesday that the King's coronation will take place May 4-6, with several ceremonies planned over the three-day period. Speaking after a cabinet meeting on Wednesday, Gen Prayut said the cabinet has assigned Deputy Prime Minister Wissanu Krea-ngam to be responsible for setting up the committee and other related panels. Gen Prayut said several preliminary rites will be arranged ahead of coronation day. No details have yet been revealed.

More details: https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general/1604358/government-offers-key-coronation-role-to-princess

Last edited:
I guess foreign Royalty won´t be invited at a Thai coronation, will they? As far as I know there was not anyone significant present from foreign royal houses for the late King´s coronation?!

I guess foreign Royalty won´t be invited at a Thai coronation, will they? As far as I know there was not anyone significant present from foreign royal houses for the late King´s coronation?!
I think one will have to wait and see. For example at Emperor Akihitios coronation there where plent of foreig royals there but was thit also the case for his father's coronation?

Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn attended the conference for preparation of the upcoming coronation, as she has been the chairperson of a government-appointed committee for preparation of the upcoming coronation at the Government House in Bangkok

https://scontent.fath3-4.fna.fbcdn....=cc6bde0c98cb2a17023ce0a4124ee0bb&oe=5CC09F64
https://scontent.fath3-4.fna.fbcdn....=64abd1aa7dc9b1e3110bfccfa71ad937&oe=5CC64352
https://scontent.fath3-3.fna.fbcdn....=ecc1227bce721b69ff7b8b89974b4d94&oe=5CB63F24
https://scontent.fath3-4.fna.fbcdn....=fa0ce656a601187114b02374cd6f52c6&oe=5CB9446B

Guessing from the schedule, probably not. But I still do hope there'll be at least some sort of state banquet that foreign royals could attend.

The Royal Emblem marked the upcoming Coronation of the King Rama X which will be held on 4-6 May 2019, contains the King’s monogram in the white trimmed with gold in the centre. The Royal Cypher is decorated with diamonds which denote the origin from which his name is derived, whilst the gold trimming of the cypher represents the colour of Monday when he was born, according to the Thai traditional colours of the day.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D1YNpCOX0AAkx-n.jpg

Rehearsal of State Progress on Land:

Last edited by a moderator:
On-site rehearsal of HM the King procession

Coronation's holy water consecration ceremony

Margareta Thorgren, the director of the press department of the Swedish Royal Court, told to Svensk Damtidning, that no one from the swedish royal family attends at the coronation.

Who were the monarchs who were at the coronation of King Bhumibol?

^^ nobody excepts bunch of foreign diplomats.

Royal Golden Tablet Phrasupphanabat Inscription Ceremony

Thank you Appleich for your work in this thread!! And for the next days!

King Rama's Commemorative Medal for the Coronation 2019

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D4_LcpUXkAArqly.jpg

Some details for the medal:

"The medal is made silver with 32 mm diameter, contains King Vajiralongkorn’s portrait on his military uniform of the King’s Guard, as well as the text of his official title in Thai language. While another side of medal contains the King’s official seal of state with the Thai text “Coronation Ceremony – 4 May 2019” below. The ribbon is filled with white and yellow. White represents the King’s birthday in the traditional belief, and yellow is the late King Bhumibol Adulyadej’s birthday"

The ribbon is filled with white and yellow. White represents the King’s birthday in the traditional belief, and yellow is the late King Bhumibol Adulyadej’s birthday"

That is wrong information, both kings' birthday color is yellow, they were both born on Monday.

Monday = yellow
Tuesday = pink
Wednesday = green
Wednesday night = black
Thursday = orange
Friday = blue
Saturday = purple
Sunday = red

but royal personal color doesn't need to be their birthday color, Princess Galyani was born on Sunday but liked blue so her color was blue. I also never seen any royal use black (none of them born on Wednesday night anyway.)

Last edited:
Royal Coronation of King Maha Vajiralongkorn of Thailand

Live telecasts by Thai PBS | All times are GMT+7

Transferring of Phrasupphanabat, the King's Birth Horoscope and Royal Seal to Phaisan Thaksin Hall
May 3, 2019 - 9:00 AM

Worship of Emerald Buddha
May 3, 2019 - 3:00 PM

Grand Coronation
May 4, 2019 - 9:00 AM

Defender of the Buddhist Religion and Homage to the Royal Ancestors
May 4, 2019 - 4:00 PM

Assumption of Regal Signature, Regal Name and Royal Title Conferring upon Members of the Royal Family
May 5, 2019 - 8:30 AM

State Progress on Land (Circumambulation of the Capital City)
May 5, 2019 - 3:00 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVXZONLJkXsGrand Public Audience
May 6, 2019 - 4:00 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTQeqhuEqoY

Reactions: eya
I, for one, am eagerly anticipating watching all the events surrounding the coronation of the King in May. What amazes me is how extensive and meaningful every step of the way is.

I would imagine that the entire country of Thailand is very eagerly anticipating all the rituals and events that come with a coronation. It truly is a time that unites the people.

Back
Top Bottom