Succession to the Thai Throne

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

principessa

Heir Apparent
City
Schweinfurt
Country
Germany
If Bhumibol is dead now does it mean that the Crown Prince is automatically the new king or is there something like a sede vacante?

If Bhumibol is dead now does it mean that the Crown Prince is automatically the new king or is there something like a sede vacante?

If there are no succession issues, Crown Prince Vajiralongkorn will be announced as the new monarch with immediate effect.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

I've read that as the King had not appointed a Regent Pro Tempore, the President of the Privy Counsil is now Regent Pro Tempore but that the Crown Prince will be offered the throne.

Or has that already happened ?

Last edited:

That is what the Thai constitution appears to say (I'm not sure this version is currently in effect though).

[FONT=Arial,Helvetica]
Section 23 []

(1) In the case where the Throne becomes vacant and the King has already appointed His Heir to the Throne under the Palace Law on Succession, B.E. 2467 [=1924], the Council of Ministers notifies the President of the National Assembly. The President of the National Assembly convokes the National Assembly for the acknowledgement thereof, and the President of the National Assembly invites such Heir to ascend the Throne and proclaim such Heir King.
(2) In the case where the Throne becomes vacant and the King has not appointed His Heir under paragraph one, the Privy Council submits the name of the Successor to the Throne under section 22 to the Council of Ministers for further submission to the National Assembly for approval. For this purpose, the name of a Princess may be submitted. Upon the approval of the National Assembly, the President of the National Assembly invites such Successor to ascend the Throne and proclaim such Successor King.
(3) During the expiration of the term of the House of Representatives or the dissolution thereof, the Senate acts as the National Assembly in acknowledging the matter under paragraph one or in giving an approval under paragraph two.
[/FONT]

Now National Legislative Assembly is about to the vote on the issue of succession. Live coverage from Parliament is being broadcast here.

Hasn't the Crown Prince succeeded the King?

Now National Legislative Assembly is about to the vote on the issue of succession. Live coverage from Parliament is being broadcast here.

Ooops, unthinkable, I think, in europe... I think this should had been clarified long before HM death! :ermm:

Ooops, unthinkable, I think, in europe... I think this should had been clarified long before HM death! :ermm:

With the passing of H.M King Bhumibol, a year of national mourning is declared in Thailand, who revered their late King. One must now pray for peace, stability and the wisdom of leadership for the new King and the political leaders.

When it comes to the passing of power in Thailand from one monarch to the next, it is clearly stipulated in the constitution that even when succession is clear, obvious and stated, it is formally done after the passing of a monarch, by parliamental request to the new sovereign to assume the throne.
An apt example, Wartenberg, would be the invitation from a monarch to an incoming Prime Minister to assume the role. It is often clear who wins an election and will form a government, but the PM is not officially the PM until the sovereign has asked and the PM-in-waiting has accepted.

Therefore, there is nothing off with the Thai procedure of proclaiming a new monarch, as enshrined in law and announced by the thai PM a short while ago.

May the late King now be at peace after a long life dedicated to the service of his people, and may the new King be blessed with strength and wisdom to guide Thailand through the days and years to come.

Hasn't the Crown Prince succeeded the King?

The Crown Prince is definitely going to reign as King Vachiralongkorn or King Rama X. The vote by National Legislative Assembly is purely about legal processes because on 28 December 1972, HM King Bhumibol named two successors to the throne, HRH Crown Prince Maha Vachiralongkorn and HRH Princess Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn, to have equal right in the succession but did not specifically decide who would succeed him as monarch when he dies.

Thai National Assembly ends extraordinary meeting without inviting successor to late King Bhumibol to ascend throne

Which is VERY odd...

Thai National Assembly ends extraordinary meeting without inviting successor to late King Bhumibol to ascend throne

Which is VERY odd...

^^ I didn't expect that too. But news report in the internet said all members must have an audience with the CP first then they would announce their vote or something, this is all I know.

Given that the Crown Prince has not been invited to ascend the throne, should we assume the President of the Privy Council will take over now as Regent until further notice ? How long will it take for Thailand to have a new king (or reigning queen as there is still a possibility the throne will be offered to Princess Maha Chakri instead).

I usually don't turn on the TV in the morning, but today I did before heading to work and saw the news of the King's passing. may he R.I.P.

"His son Crown Prince Maha Vajiralongkorn was expected to succeed him
However he has told the Thai PM he wants to delay becoming the king "
Thailand's King Bhumibol dead aged 88 | Daily Mail Online

What?! Wait for what? That´s what I call eccentric.... :bang: Maha Vajiralongkorn, himself an elderly gentleman these days, wants to wait becoming King?!?

So, that means, the country is now without a head of state? I fear we witness the beginning of the end of another monarchy which breaks my heart!

Last edited:
I think that CP will be proclaimed King in the coming days. He was probably in shock and therefore decided to postpone his proclamation for a few days.

He was probably in shock and therefore decided to postpone his proclamation for a few days.

I suspect there is more to this than that.. ie the Junta [recognising his widespread unpopularity] are reluctant to anoint a man who may mean an end to the Thai Monarchy, and are searching for a means to prevent his accession..

I think it's bit tasteless to discuss such things in the thread about His late Majesty's death, but it comes with territory when talking about Monarchy.

I doubt the Thai Monarchy is coming to an end, though I'm less sure the Crown Prince will become King. The Princess Royal seems much more fitting for the role, and if the late King named both his children as possible successors, it woudn't tarnish the monarchical legitimacy to proclaim the Princess Royal Queen.

Another solution would be proclaim the Crown Prince King, but with his sister as Regent. Or some kind of Diarchy.

i don't believe that he was in shock , his father's health started declining since 2006
i think refusing to be proclaimed king right away would make it harder for him to be proclaimed in the future .

i don't believe that he was in shock , his father's health started declining since 2006
i think refusing to be proclaimed king right away would make it harder for him to be proclaimed in the future .

I'm not entirely convinced he declined an immediate proclamation. Most likely he was denied it instead. In the end, if the Junta really doesn't want the CP to ascend, they can always force him to renounce his sucession rights later and I don't think he would be in a position to refuse.

What about Maha's wife (?), Suthida Vajiralongkorn ? Will they marry ? And she becomes Queen ?

As I know too little about how things in Thailand work, what are the possibilities of there being issued an invitation to both of the successors that the late King named? A co-regency? I ask this question because of what I read in one of Appleich's earlier posts here which says:

"The Crown Prince is definitely going to reign as King Vachiralongkorn or King Rama X. The vote by National Legislative Assembly is purely about legal processes because on 28 December 1972, HM King Bhumibol named two successors to the throne, HRH Crown Prince Maha Vachiralongkorn and HRH Princess Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn, to have equal right in the succession but did not specifically decide who would succeed him as monarch when he dies.:

Actually, Wartenberg, its not such a far fetched idea for those of us that do not know the ins and outs of Thailand and their monarchy and how it all works and fits together.

The reason that I find it quite feasible and have asked the same question just about as Cris M has is because of what someone that is actually from Thailand, Appleich, and most likely probably knows far more than people outside of Thailand posted:

""The Crown Prince is definitely going to reign as King Vachiralongkorn or King Rama X. The vote by National Legislative Assembly is purely about legal processes because on 28 December 1972, HM King Bhumibol named two successors to the throne, HRH Crown Prince Maha Vachiralongkorn and HRH Princess Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn, to have equal right in the succession but did not specifically decide who would succeed him as monarch when he dies.:"

So, to me and perhaps others outside of Thailand, this might seem to be a feasible solution. ;)

And taking into consideration that its been remarked on perhaps that the CP is not the most popular egg in the dozen, who knows?

Last edited:
Please, what?! You call this honestly a "solution"?!

Yes, no need to overreact. I want what's best for Thailand, whatever it is.

Agree 100%, Osipi! :flowers:

Last edited:
I'm gonna be frank here but I think the Thai people deserve better than the Crown Prince. Princess Sirindhorn is popular (or at the very least, more popular than her brother) and she's clearly got some stamina and backbone that her brother is lacking. I hope the delay in proclaiming Vajiralongkorn could result in a co-regency or even surpassing Vajiralongkorn in favour of Sirindhorn (although I know it doesn't sound all too likely).

There is no doubt here in Thailand that the Crown Prince will become Rama X -- he has simply requested time to mourn his father's passing properly before being appointed and taking on his role as the new monarch. (In the Palace, behind the scenes, the Crown Prince's staff have already assumed their new roles and responsibilities.)

Meanwhile, a year of mourning has been proclaimed, during which time we are all expected to wear black. And it will take that long (possibly even longer) to prepare for the royal funeral and cremation, which no doubt will be a very extravagant, days-long affair attended by many royals and heads of state. (Several years back I attended the funeral/cremation of Princess Galyani, elder sister of King Bhumibol, a year after her passing, and it was an extraordinary experience executed with pomp and age-old Buddhist rites.)

Anything and everything else is mere speculation that do Thai people no good in this time when they are dealing with such an immense loss.

The coronation of Prince Vajiralongkorn will only be in a year?

A thread to discuss the succession following the death of the King was suggested on another thread.

It's safe to assume that the Crown Prince's "inner circle" will presume duties in his court (which in fact has already been the case), and only those involved in day-to-day running of the Palace (operations) will remain. It's the start of a new era for Thailand's royal family.

[...] I hope the delay in proclaiming Vajiralongkorn could result in a co-regency or even surpassing Vajiralongkorn in favour of Sirindhorn (although I know it doesn't sound all too likely).

That is not how monarchy works. Prince Vajiralongkorn is the eldest son and heir and has been in that position for 44 years. His father officially appointed his only son, as successor on 28 December 1972. And that is it.

In my understanding the Crown Prince first wants to lead the nation in mourning and pay all respects to the late King before assuming the kingship indeed.

It is the same as in Belgium: after the death of King Baudouin: between his death on July 31st 1993 and the investiture of his successor on August 9th 1993 there was no King. The Government executed the royal prerogatives during these 10 days.

Apparently in Thailand, like in Belgium, the adagium Le Roi est mort, vive le Roi! does not count.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom