Succession to the Thai Throne

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There have been rumours for a couple of years that this was the case, especially when she was rumoured to be engaged, but so far no proof. It makes sense that she would succeed her father though for various reasons.

This information is interesting. If so, will the Royal Family do anything to make this change official?
I believe once the princess completed all her trainings and things are settled, she will be officially made heir apparent to the throne just like how the current king was made Crown Prince of Thailand in 1972.
Are we sure that the queen-mother is still in a position to intervene/arrange anything? We haven't seen her for years apparently because among others her mental capacities aren't what they were before.
We’re not but, as far as I remember, no report was made to indicate deterioration of the Queen Mother’s mental capacities. After all these years, she was just in such a poor health and frail state but fully conscious of what is going on.

Indeed quite interesting. I always thought that the King's son would be the heir apparent as his only son (though I must confess that Princess Bajrakitiyabha is the most "capable" of all the King's children, she seems very devoted to perform royal duties).

Considering that she is 42 years old, is the Princess really engaged? Or was that just a rumor? But, if she really becomes the Crown Princess, it will be very interesting. Perhaps it will give a boost of popularity of the Monarchy in Thailand.

Yes! I endorse this!Bajrakitiyabha for the crown!

Indeed quite interesting. I always thought that the King's son would be the heir apparent as his only son (though I must confess that Princess Bajrakitiyabha is the most "capable" of all the King's children, she seems very devoted to perform royal duties).

Considering that she is 42 years old, is the Princess really engaged? Or was that just a rumor? But, if she really becomes the Crown Princess, it will be very interesting. Perhaps it will give a boost of popularity of the Monarchy in Thailand.
The king has 5 sons and 2 daughters. Dipangkorn is his youngest child (by his third wife). His 4 older sons (by his second wife) live in the USA and apparently are not in touch with their father after their banishment; although their (full) younger sister (Sirivannavari Nariratana) returned to Thailand and is very much part of the Thai royal family.

A couple of years ago there were rumours, partly from journalist Andrew McGregor that she was engaged to Colonel Paritat Bunnag but nothing was ever announced anywhere.

There are also rumours that Prince Dipangkorn has health problems but again nothing is confirmed at all.

:previous:So only rumors so far. I guess we will have to wait and see how it goes. But the King will have to announce the heir sooner than later.

The king has 5 sons and 2 daughters. Dipangkorn is his youngest child (by his third wife). His 4 older sons (by his second wife) live in the USA and apparently are not in touch with their father after their banishment; although their (full) younger sister (Sirivannavari Nariratana) returned to Thailand and is very much part of the Thai royal family.
I do know about that. I said "only son" because he is the only son eligible for the throne since the others were banished by their father...:whistling:

A couple of years ago there were rumours, partly from journalist Andrew McGregor that she was engaged to Colonel Paritat Bunnag but nothing was ever announced anywhere.

There are also rumours that Prince Dipangkorn has health problems but again nothing is confirmed at all.
There were pictures released of the Princess, the Colonel and the King that were retracted only a few hours later so I don't think it was only rumours but obviously something happened behind the closed doors of the palace.

I believe once the princess completed all her trainings and things are settled, she will be officially made heir apparent to the throne just like how the current king was made Crown Prince of Thailand in 1972.

I ask when will we see such a ceremony again and who will be the current king's successor?

I wonder, if the King dies suddenly, who will reign? He doesn't have an official heir (as of now), but the son (being a boy) takes precedence, right?

I wonder, if the King dies suddenly, who will reign? He doesn't have an official heir (as of now), but the son (being a boy) takes precedence, right?

I would assume that king's son becomes new king automatically. Of course if he is underage there is regency. But not sure who would be regent.

I would assume that king's son becomes new king automatically. Of course if he is underage there is regency. But not sure who would be regent.

In 1924 a Palace Law of Succession was implemented to govern the succession. Subsequent constitutions have not amended the Palace Law other than in 1974 to allow female succession. If there is no named heir the Palace Law states that the Privy Council will determine who shall succeed. The sovereign can name the heir, and remove that heir. The Privy Council would be expected to name the heir as being the first in line of succession. Wikipedia has a very good and accurate article on the Thai succession titled The 1924 Palace Law of Succession.

If a regency was required the regent/s would be appointed by the Privy Council.

It will be interesting to see what happens in the next few years. The King is 69 years old and sooner or later he will have to announce who will be his successor.
Prince Dipangkorn Rasmijoti will turn 17. Will he be recognized as crown prince when he turns 20 like his father did?
Or will King Rama X's successor be his daughter Princess Bajrakitiyabha?

It will be interesting to see what happens in the next few years. The King is 69 years old and sooner or later he will have to announce who will be his successor.
Prince Dipangkorn Rasmijoti will turn 17. Will he be recognized as crown prince when he turns 20 like his father did?
Or will King Rama X's successor be his daughter Princess Bajrakitiyabha?

The latter had been expected but unfortunately, given her condition (i.e., she is most likely brain death) that seems no longer a possibility.

This journalist suspects that one of the king's other sons (he suggests the second; not sure why he would be more likely than the eldest) will have to be taken back as his youngest son is unfit and his only other HRH-daughter is unpopular/hated and therefore not credible.

The latter had been expected but unfortunately, given her condition (i.e., she is most likely brain death) that seems no longer a possibility.

This journalist suspects that one of the king's other sons (he suggests the second; not sure why he would be more likely than the eldest) will have to be taken back as his youngest son is unfit and his only other HRH-daughter is unpopular/hated and therefore not credible.

I also just now read this on Andrew MacGregor Marshall's twitter.
He speaks of Vacharaesorn Vivacharawongse, one of the exiled sons of the King.

About 2 years ago this same journalist wrote the following article about Thai succession.

I also just now read this on Andrew MacGregor Marshall's twitter.
He speaks of Vacharaesorn Vivacharawongse, one of the exiled sons of the King.

Exactly, Vacharaesorn is his second son. I've now read his full article on succession (including a lengthy piece of how the boys were treated over the years); and his eldest son is married to a foreigner which makes him ineligible, so that's why Vahacharaesorn (a succesfull lawyer) would be the likely option if they would need to bring his sons back (which he didn't rule out at the time they were banished - primarily to appease queen Sirikit who wanted his eldest daughter (whose mother was a close family member of her and therefore hand-picked as bride to the crown prince) to succeed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Princess Sirivannavari Nariratana Rajakanya could also be a chance to succeed the current king. It must be the best chance for the survival of the monarchy.

The unexpected passing of Princess Bajrakitiyabha surely will have a profound effect on the possible succession, and the Thai royal family and government will have to deal with that in the coming months. King Vajiralongkorn is 70 years old now.

There's very little information available on the internet about the king's 4 older sons who evidently reside in America, and haven't been considered to be in the line of succession. I wonder if that may change now. What are their marital statuses, ages, and do any of them have children of their own ? I wonder if they have any interest in the succession, and what do the Thai people think of them.

Last edited:
The unexpected passing of Princess Bajrakitiyabha surely will have a profound effect on the possible succession, and the Thai royal family and government will have to deal with that in the coming months. King Vajiralongkorn is 70 years old now.

There's very little information available on the internet about the king's 4 older sons who evidently reside in America, and haven't been considered to be in the line of succession. I wonder if that may change now. What are their marital statuses, ages, and do any of them have children of their own ? I wonder if they have any interest in the succession, and what do the Thai people think of them.

You might want to read this lengthy article that I posted yesterday for answers to your questions about the king's older sons that were excluded at the 'order' of the king's mother, queen Sirikit.

About 2 years ago this same journalist wrote the following article about Thai succession.

Thanks for the article. Somehow I have the feeling the author is not neutral and his singing the praise of the four US-grown children of Vahijalongkorn looks partial to me.

The scenario the King's youngest son as a puppet on a string seems most plausible, like the late King Bhumibol who was essentially just a marionet in hands of his overpowering wife and various factions. This meek King gained great popularity, possibly exactly because he was a silent and statue-like figure, possibly because of all the medications fighting his depressions.

It is a mystery that the Orange-Nassaus warmly welcomed Vajiralongkorn and his ("hated by him") sister Sirindhorn for the Investiture festivities 2013. That makes me think the author has a bit exaggerated and extrapolated his article to paint Vahijalongkorn as monstruous as possible.

I think Princess Sirivannavari Nariratana Rajakanya could also be a chance to succeed the current king. It must be the best chance for the survival of the monarchy.

Eeerrrrmmmmmm.... "best chance"?????

I understood this Princess is despised, mocked and ridiculed by the Thai as a lightweight emptyhead with her little royal nose high up in the air. During the many protests against the monarchy, the Princess was (is) a thankful and easy target as massive amounts of taxpayers' money was wasted on the international promotion of her fashion brand, called Sirivannavari Bangkok.

Thanks for posting the article, Somebody. It's actually the most comprehensive article I've seen about the succession. If young Prince Dipangkorn is autistic or physically or mentally impaired, it wouldn't be fair to that young boy to put him on the throne. I've no idea what sort of reputation Princess Sirivannavari has in Thailand. Hopefully she can salvage her reputation and act with the dignity befitting a daughter of the king.

It appears from the article that none of her 4 elder brothers living in America, who range in age from late 30s to mid 40s, has any children. But they seem to be decent individuals, and still young enough to provide heirs to continue the Mahidol House, if called upon to do so.

At any rate, the Thai royal family certainly ought to do whatever's necessary to try to improve its reputation in the coming months, and make some plans for the succession. Even if it means turning to one of the cadet houses in the Chakri Dynasty (such as the Yugalas) in the event that the Mahidol House becomes extinct.

Even if it means turning to one of the cadet houses in the Chakri Dynasty (such as the Yugalas) in the event that the Mahidol House becomes extinct.

The highest ranking cadet house, discarding the skipped over lines, is the Paribatra as descendants of Queen Sukhumala Marasri. The head of the line is probably MR Sukhumbhand Paribatra. He was a university lecturer of political science, Deputy Foreign Minister, party-listed MP and an elected governor of BKK before being removed from the post during the second term more that one year after the latest coup by the current Prime Minister. However, he was born a commoner, had fully involved in politics and didn't have much reputation for competency during the time as the governors.

Last edited:

Why is Princess Sirivanavari hated?

I's interesting to compare the Thailand situation with so many royal relatives vs the situation in Japan and the very reduced imperial family.

You might want to read this lengthy article that I posted yesterday for answers to your questions about the king's older sons that were excluded at the 'order' of the king's mother, queen Sirikit.
I looked at the article and was shocked the the Queen Mother, was so insistent of her branch ruling the family and King Rama X constantly badly behaving. I see why there are issues but I won’t completely agree with people with certain sympathies (ideologies) that don’t completely understand the traditional political and social life of other countries.

I's interesting to compare the Thailand situation with so many royal relatives vs the situation in Japan and the very reduced imperial family.
The difference is that the cadet branches can succeed to throne in Thailand whereas the Japanese royals junior branches were removed following WWII and cannot succeed. Plus the behaviors of members of the Thai dynasty (particularly the current King) vs the Japanese royals.

See post #112 in this thread.
I know she has a fashion brand and all, but I hadn’t realized that taxpayers subsidized her brand. Wow! Other than her father, she’s not well-liked from what you’ve said. But I really wonder why some people don’t like Princess Sirindhorn, (Princess Royal), she seems dutiful and dedicated

Back
Top Bottom