The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 10-13-2016, 05:17 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
As I know too little about how things in Thailand work, what are the possibilities of there being issued an invitation to both of the successors that the late King named? A co-regency? I ask this question because of what I read in one of Appleich's earlier posts here which says:

"The Crown Prince is definitely going to reign as King Vachiralongkorn or King Rama X. The vote by National Legislative Assembly is purely about legal processes because on 28 December 1972, HM King Bhumibol named two successors to the throne, HRH Crown Prince Maha Vachiralongkorn and HRH Princess Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn, to have equal right in the succession but did not specifically decide who would succeed him as monarch when he dies.:

“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 10-13-2016, 06:47 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cris M View Post
Another solution would be proclaim the Crown Prince King, but with his sister as Regent. Or some kind of Diarchy.
Please, what?! You call this honestly a "solution"?!

Old 10-13-2016, 06:53 PM
Majesty

Actually, Wartenberg, its not such a far fetched idea for those of us that do not know the ins and outs of Thailand and their monarchy and how it all works and fits together.

The reason that I find it quite feasible and have asked the same question just about as Cris M has is because of what someone that is actually from Thailand, Appleich, and most likely probably knows far more than people outside of Thailand posted:

""The Crown Prince is definitely going to reign as King Vachiralongkorn or King Rama X. The vote by National Legislative Assembly is purely about legal processes because on 28 December 1972, HM King Bhumibol named two successors to the throne, HRH Crown Prince Maha Vachiralongkorn and HRH Princess Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn, to have equal right in the succession but did not specifically decide who would succeed him as monarch when he dies.:"

So, to me and perhaps others outside of Thailand, this might seem to be a feasible solution.

And taking into consideration that its been remarked on perhaps that the CP is not the most popular egg in the dozen, who knows?
“When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down ‘happy’. They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.”
― John Lennon
Old 10-13-2016, 06:54 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by wartenberg7 View Post
Please, what?! You call this honestly a "solution"?!
Yes, no need to overreact. I want what's best for Thailand, whatever it is.

Agree 100%, Osipi!

Princess Isabel (1846-1921), Princess Imperial and Regent of the Empire of Brazil, after she signed the Golden Law, in 1888, abolishing slavery in Brazil.
Old 10-13-2016, 07:44 PM
Heir Presumptive

I'm gonna be frank here but I think the Thai people deserve better than the Crown Prince. Princess Sirindhorn is popular (or at the very least, more popular than her brother) and she's clearly got some stamina and backbone that her brother is lacking. I hope the delay in proclaiming Vajiralongkorn could result in a co-regency or even surpassing Vajiralongkorn in favour of Sirindhorn (although I know it doesn't sound all too likely).

Old 10-13-2016, 09:50 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoria's Secret View Post
There is no doubt here in Thailand that the Crown Prince will become Rama X -- he has simply requested time to mourn his father's passing properly before being appointed and taking on his role as the new monarch. (In the Palace, behind the scenes, the Crown Prince's staff have already assumed their new roles and responsibilities.)

Meanwhile, a year of mourning has been proclaimed, during which time we are all expected to wear black. And it will take that long (possibly even longer) to prepare for the royal funeral and cremation, which no doubt will be a very extravagant, days-long affair attended by many royals and heads of state. (Several years back I attended the funeral/cremation of Princess Galyani, elder sister of King Bhumibol, a year after her passing, and it was an extraordinary experience executed with pomp and age-old Buddhist rites.)

Anything and everything else is mere speculation that do Thai people no good in this time when they are dealing with such an immense loss.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
The coronation of Prince Vajiralongkorn will only be in a year?
Old 10-13-2016, 10:37 PM
Nobility

Succession to the Thai Throne

A thread to discuss the succession following the death of the King was suggested on another thread.
Old 10-13-2016, 11:45 PM
Aristocracy

It's safe to assume that the Crown Prince's "inner circle" will presume duties in his court (which in fact has already been the case), and only those involved in day-to-day running of the Palace (operations) will remain. It's the start of a new era for Thailand's royal family.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app
Old 10-14-2016, 07:04 AM
Heir Apparent

Prem becomes Regent pro tempore in Thailand http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general/1110645/prem-becomes-regent-pro-tempore …
Old 10-14-2016, 07:57 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archduchess Zelia View Post
[...] I hope the delay in proclaiming Vajiralongkorn could result in a co-regency or even surpassing Vajiralongkorn in favour of Sirindhorn (although I know it doesn't sound all too likely).
That is not how monarchy works. Prince Vajiralongkorn is the eldest son and heir and has been in that position for 44 years. His father officially appointed his only son, as successor on 28 December 1972. And that is it.

In my understanding the Crown Prince first wants to lead the nation in mourning and pay all respects to the late King before assuming the kingship indeed.

It is the same as in Belgium: after the death of King Baudouin: between his death on July 31st 1993 and the investiture of his successor on August 9th 1993 there was no King. The Government executed the royal prerogatives during these 10 days.

Apparently in Thailand, like in Belgium, the adagium Le Roi est mort, vive le Roi! does not count.
Old 10-14-2016, 08:13 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
That is not how monarchy works. Prince Vajiralongkorn is the eldest son and heir and has been in that position for 44 years. His father officially appointed his only son, as successor on 28 December 1972. And that is it.

In my understanding the Crown Prince first wants to lead the nation in mourning and pay all respects to the late King before assuming the kingship indeed.

It is the same as in Belgium: after the death of King Baudouin: between his death on July 31st 1993 and the investiture of his successor on August 9th 1993 there was no King. The Government executed the royal prerogatives during these 10 days.

Apparently in Thailand, like in Belgium, the adagium Le Roi est mort, vive le Roi! does not count.
Actually, in 1972, he named both his son and his daughter as his successors and didn't specify who would follow him as King. I do not dispute that the Crown Prince will follow in his father's footsteps though.

Now that I've read up a bit more and watched the cremation ceremony of the King's elder sister, it makes a lot more sense to me today than yesterday that the Crown Prince would take time before ascending the throne and step into official duties. What we need to remember here is that this isn't just a monarchy in Thailand but its a Buddhist monarchy and their funereal practices are not only spread over a extensive period of mourning for the nation and its people but they there is a lot of reasons and meanings to each step that is taken. Now, I would find it quite odd if the Crown Prince were to step automatically right now into his role as King and go about business as usual when the entire country is in a period of mourning for a year and elaborate ceremonies and rituals that prepare the deceased to leave this world are yet to be celebrated.

All I can say is that they way they do things in Thailand is beautiful.
― John Lennon
Old 10-14-2016, 08:32 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post

but that's not the case the king officially appointed his daughter and son as successor in 1972 with equal rights but he didn't say who will succeed him like u said in thailand it's not the king is dead long live the king
and it's not like belgium , when King Baudouin was alive it was known who will succeed him because there was a line of succession to the throne unlike thailand in which the monarch name his successor and the one who will succeed him then there is a vote by National Legislative Assembly to make him legally the monarch .
Old 10-14-2016, 10:13 AM
Commoner

There seemed to be misunderstanding about Princess Sirindhon position, she wasn't created successor in 1972, she was elevated in 1977 to a position rather similar to Princess Royal. She doesn't have similar right to her brother. Her honor is equal to that of rear palace in the ancient time while Vajiralongkorn has equal honor to that of the front palace.
Old 10-14-2016, 10:21 AM
Majesty

Thank you for clearing that up for us. Its amazing that how things are generally termed in one part of the world can mean something totally different somewhere else. The difference in language can be a big hurdle here too in translating terminology used.

I hope you can bear with us as we Westerners get confused, muddle things up and ask a lot of questions. This is quite a learning experience for me and I would imagine for many of us here.
― John Lennon
Old 10-14-2016, 10:26 AM
Commoner

My pleasure.
Old 10-14-2016, 11:09 AM
Nobility

Isn't Her title in Thai is the female equivalent of the title held by her brother ?!
Old 10-14-2016, 11:38 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke of poliganc View Post
Isn't Her title in Thai is the female equivalent of the title held by her brother ?!
No, it isn't. The crown prince title is Siam Makut Rajakumar which mean Crown Prince of Siam; if Siridhon title is female equivalent it would be Siam Makut Rajakumari, but her title is Siam Borom Rajakumari, this title is specially created for her without any predecessor. If you translate that, it would be Princess Royal of Siam. Her order is also called differently from her brother; her order is called Pra Rajabuncha while the crown prince's order is called Pra Rajabuntoon (the king's order is Pra Borom Rajaongkan, the queen's is Pra Rajasaowani, and other princes and princesses' order are called Pra Damrus Sung.)
Old 10-14-2016, 11:49 AM
Gentry

Sorry my bad, I gave wrong information to you all may I apologise. I recheck the data and it turns out that King Bhumibol only named Crown Prince Maha Vajiralongkorn the only heir to the throne. Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn was only gave a title that equal to "Princess Royal" indeed.
Old 10-14-2016, 11:54 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeannedeorleans View Post
No, it isn't. The crown prince title is Siam Makut Rajakumar which mean Crown Prince of Siam; if Siridhon title is female equivalent it would be Siam Makut Rajakumari, but her title is Siam Borom Rajakumari, this title is specially created for her without any predecessor. If you translate that, it would be Princess Royal of Siam. Her order is also called differently from her brother; her order is called Pra Rajabuncha while the crown prince's order is called Pra Rajabuntoon (the king's order is Pra Borom Rajaongkan, the queen's is Pra Rajasaowani.)
okay now i see it , thank you
Old 10-14-2016, 12:18 PM
Heir Apparent

Only two months ago Prime Minister Prayuth won a referendum for the new Constitution. As well as diminishing the power of future elected governments, the new constitution is intended to keep the Royal Thai Army in a position to manage the royal succession.

Amongst diplomats it is understood that Prime Minister Prayuth is not going to loosen his grip, at least until Crown Prince Maha Vajiralongkorn is enthroned and the military can be sure the new King is not going to rock the affairs of state. The current military junta has worked hard to orchestrate a better image for Crown Prince Maha Vajiralongkorn.

Note that the Crown Prince has had formal military training, did army service and is qualified as a jet fighter and helicopter pilot. This means he is quite close to the military junta. There is no doubt: Crown Prince Maha Vajiralongkorn will become King. The generals will ensure this and hold power over future civil governments thanks to the new Constitution, approved two months ago.

Tags
crown prince, monarchy, succession, thailand