The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Other Reigning Houses > Royal Family of Thailand

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 12:29 PM
Aristocracy

HM the King authorized Thai consul general in Hong Kong as his representative to accept TIME's Asian Heroes Award. HM is one of the 60 Asian Heroes selected by TIME magazine

Newsline

Old 11-29-2006, 10:13 PM
Aristocracy

Article From Time

60 years of Asian Heros: Inspirations

King Bhumibol Adulyadej
Over 60 years, a beloved monarch has used his moral authority to guide Thailand through many crises
By Robert Horn

As a single shot shattered the stillness of Bangkok's Borompimarn Palace on a steamy June morning in 1946, the land some still called Siam changed forever. Twenty-year-old King Ananda was dead. The manner of his passing—by accident, suicide or murder—endures as Thailand's deepest mystery. The pistol smoke barely had time to clear before the mantle of kingship passed to Ananda's 18-year-old brother, Bhumibol Adulyadej. Some, including a new magazine in Asia named TIME, pondered whether the "gangling, spectacled" teenager could survive the deadly intrigues of a fabled and faraway Oriental land.

The odds were against him. All across Southeast Asia, monarchies were being extinguished—kings and princes stripped of power, driven into exile or executed. Yet young Bhumibol steadily grew in stature, not least by launching over 3,000 royal projects to help the poor. Even as a communist insurgency raged, he personally delivered relief to remote villages. Bhumibol also quietly counseled and sometimes openly cajoled governments, always urging them to put public interest first. Having sat on the throne for 60 years, he is the world's longest-reigning monarch. His stewardship has been so masterful that in times of crisis Thais invariably turn to one man: King Bhumibol. Indeed, on two occasions—October 1973 and May 1992—with Thailand descending into chaos, the King, armed only with his moral authority, intervened to end bloodshed.

Today, a group of generals has again seized power. They have pledged to give Thailand a fairer and lasting democratic system. Once more, Thailand's people will look to King Bhumibol, trusting him to ensure that the generals keep their promise.

http://www.time.com/time/asia/2006/h...adulyadej.html

Avatar: The Star of the Most Illustrious Order of The Royal House of Chakri
Old 12-02-2006, 10:26 AM
Heir Apparent

Bangkok, THAILAND: Thai King Bhumibol Adulyadej reviews the honor guard as a part of the celebration to commemorate his 79th birthday at the Royal Plaza in Bangkok, 02 December 2006. Thailand's King Bhumibol Adulyadej called on Thai's to unite following a bloodless coup in September, and told soldiers that they needed to remain honest after their takeover.

http://editorial.gettyimages.com/sou...%7c0&p=7&tag=1
Old 12-03-2006, 10:52 PM
Aristocracy

Photos from the royal guard procession - mediathai.net -
Photo 1 Photo 2 Photo 3 Photo 4
Old 12-05-2006, 08:46 AM
Aristocracy

HM turns 79 today! Long Live King Bhumibol
Old 12-05-2006, 10:24 PM
Aristocracy

Long Live His Majesty... Long May He Reign...

More photos from The Royal guard procession on December 2,2006
- mediathai.net -

HM's smile HM's smile

Pic1 Pic2 Pic3 Pic4 Pic5
Pic6 Pic7 Pic8 Pic9 Pic10
Pic11 Pic12 Pic13

The Royal Guard Marching

Pic1 Pic2 Pic3 Pic4 Pic5
Pic6 Pic7 Pic8 Pic9 Pic10
Pic11 Pic12 Pic13 Pic14 Pic15
Pic16 Pic17 Pic18 Pic19
Old 12-05-2006, 10:49 PM
Aristocracy

His Majesty's Speech on Birthday's Eve

His Majesty's Full Birthday Speech

His Majesty the King delivered a speech on December 4, 2006 on the occassion of his 79th birthday on Tuesday.

The following is an unofficial translation of the speech:

Thank you all for being here today to wish me a happy birthday. The well wishing as expressed by the prime minister is especially encouraging. I did not stand up to acknowledge your well wishing gesture since my physical strength did not permit although mentally, I am fit enough. I hope you understand that. Physical strength has its use.

For our nation, both physical and mental strength is essential. For the prime minister, he has to exercise both physical and mental strength to show how useful it is. Every other people must also use their physical and mental strength to save the country from perils. Do not leave it to the government alone since the government is not all that powerful. This government in particular is run by the elderly but being elderly is in fact a power.

For me, I am still 78 years old today and will be 79 tomorrow. I am not 80 yet and the prime minister is not yet 80 either. At the age of 80, some still can work vigorously. Old age can be an advantage in terms of accumulated knowledge and experiences. Young people who look down on the elderly are in fact inferior themselves. Old people who well maintain their intelligence and moral integrity can help the country prosper. But for those who do not know how to make use of their old age, they are just like children mentally.

This kind of people can be very dangerous. Their immaturity and inferior feeling about their old age could lead to the fall of the country. It is sad for those who keep regretting about getting old without trying to make use of it. Elderly people can make use of their old age and experiences to help other people and the country. I hope old people with good experiences will successfully work for the nation.

For old people in the government, they have no greed for themselves and deserve a compliment for their willingness to continue to serve the country although they have long worked and should have their retirement time. Although they have never taken this kind of job before, they will likely do it well thanks to their experiences.

Those people took the job in time of trouble. It is not politics that I am talking about. I do not want to talk about politics now. I am bored with it. It is the flooding that I will talk about.

Although the overall volume of rainwater this year is lower than the 1995 record, floods this year are more serious because of poor water management. With better management, the flood problem should not be as serious as it is now. I have information about flood and natural water situations with me here. With better equipment nowadays, floodwater can be drained out faster than in 1995.

This can be done in many areas especially at the Chao Phya River estuary. Existing floodgates in Phra Pradaeng can be effectively used to block a high tide from overflowing the river and flooding Bangkok. Under good timing management, the facilities can also drain out a groundwater overflow from the city at the time of low tide. The same method should be used in other areas too with some investment and labour required. When to open or close floodgates holds key to effective flood prevention.

Back in 1995, I sent out a Royal guard to check out a seaside flood station one night and he reportedly found the floodgate keeper sleeping while the tide was rising. The man said he was not aware of the timing of low and high tides but just followed his superiors' orders on when to close or open the floodgate. This explained how a high sea tide could then cause the canal linked to the floodgate to overflow and thus flood part of Bangkok. There is still about one more month left to correct what was wrong in flood prevention and it is not too late though. I just pick up the flood topic today since my tired voice about it might not be well heard once before. Today my voice gets clearer thanks to good medicine and I want to let you know about it.

Too much talking is like flooding and I do not want to talk too much myself. But I cannot miss talking about Prime Minister Surayud for the sake of his good intention and honesty in serving the country. I hope everyone will do their duty well and I will be as happy as I am at the age of 80. May everyone who works with determination and honesty and realises in the use of their old age succeed in their jobs.

The Nation
http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2006...s_30020787.php
Old 12-05-2006, 11:42 PM
Aristocracy

HIS MAJESTY TURNS 79
Country celebrates

Crowds throng streets of Bangkok and provincial capitals for the King's birthday

The entire nation celebrated His Majesty the King's 79th birthday yesterday when yellow-clad subjects gathered in every province to show their loyalty and to mark the special occasion.

His Majesty yesterday stressed the importance of unity to ensure a stable and prosperous future for Thailand.

Thousands of people waited for Their Majesties the King and Queen's motorcade to pass along Rajdamnoen Avenue in the evening. All loyal subjects wore yellow, some waiting at the site where the evening motorcade passed had been there since the morning in order to get a glimpse of the royal family.

In the morning, the King and other members of the royal family took part in a royal ceremony and Buddhist and Brahmin rites at the Grand Palace to mark the special occasion.

During the ceremony, HRH Crown Prince Maha Vajiralongkorn wished His Majesty a happy birthday on behalf of the royal family. Prime Minister General Surayud Chulanont then offered best wishes on behalf of the Thai people, followed by Meechai Ruchuphan, president of the National Legislative Assembly.

In turn HM the King replied by saying that Thai citizens should unite for the country's sake.

"Together, Thai people established the nation until it prospered and became stable. This has continued for a long time despite at times the country facing emergencies and trouble," the King said.

"We all surmounted these [odds], however, through wisdom, through dhamma and goodness, and through unity. It enabled us to be free, happy and prosper until today. It should be a reminder for all of us who reside in this land to be united ... and be reasonable and responsible for the public in order to rid the bias and nurture loving kindness and unity," he said.

Elsewhere, the celebrations saw more people wearing yellow shirts than ever before.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2006...s_30020841.php
Old 12-08-2006, 09:20 AM
Aristocracy

His Majesty King Bhumibol Adulyadej has sent a message of congratulations to Dr Margaret Chan on her appointment as the new director-general of the World Health Organisation (WHO).

Chan was a recipient of the Prince Mahidol Award, instituted in honour of His Majesty's father, in 1998. She was cited for her role in efficiently controlling the bird-flu outbreak in Hong Kong.

The Nation
Old 12-08-2006, 09:27 AM
Aristocracy

Bush will meet King Bhumibol

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Former President George Bush will lead a U.S. delegation to Thailand for celebrations marking the 60th anniversary of King Bhumibol Adulyadej's accession to the throne.
Old 12-11-2006, 10:55 AM
Aristocracy

Former US president George Bush had an audience with King Bhumibol

BANGKOK (AFP) - Former US president George Bush had an audience with Thailand's King Bhumibol Adulyadej, who marked his 60th anniversary on the throne this year, a Thai government official said.

Bush, 82, a special envoy of his son, US President George W. Bush, and his wife Barbara met with the widely respected king and Queen Sirikit at Bangkok's Grand Palace, the official said.
Old 12-11-2006, 12:42 PM
Heir Apparent

Former U.S. President George Bush (2nd R) and former First Lady Barbara Bush meet with revered Thai King Bhumibol Adulyadej and Queen Sirikit (L) at the Grand Palace in Bangkok December 11, 2006. Bush was on a three-day official visit to Thailand for celebrations marking the 60th anniversary of King Bhumibol Adulyadej's accession to the throne. Seen standing in the middle background is Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn.
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...r642640956.jpg

Former U.S. President George Bush (L) and former First Lady Barbara Bush (2nd R) meet with revered Thai King Bhumibol Adulyadej (2nd L) and Queen Sirikit (R) at the Grand Palace in Bangkok December 11, 2006.
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...3788931385.jpg

article from AFP :
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20061211...l_061211144417
Old 12-25-2006, 11:12 AM
Aristocracy

HM the king with Vietnamese PM

Prime Minister Nguyen Tan Dung on December 20 met with Thai King Bhumibol Adulayadej.

On behalf of the Vietnamese Government and people, PM Dung expressed gratitude for the warm welcome and the hospitality that the Thai Royal Family, Government and people extended to the Vietnamese delegation. He said he was delighted to see the situation in Thailand has become stable under the reign of the King. He wished the Thai people more successes in developing their country.

Thai King Bhumibol Adulayadej praised the achievements Vietnam has made during its renovation process, and said that he believed PM Dung's visit would contribute to strengthening the fine relationship between the two countries.

Nhandan.com
Old 01-01-2007, 07:40 PM
Heir Apparent

Bomb victims and medical staff receive royal support

Their Majesties the King and Queen yesterday gave bouquets of flowers to injured victims of the New Year's Eve bomb explosions, and extended their moral support to medical staff taking care of the victims.
Queen Elizabeth: "I cannot lead you into battle, I do not give you laws or administer justice but I can do something else, I can give you my heart and my devotion to these old islands and to all the peoples of our brotherhood of nations." God, Save The Queen!
Old 01-03-2007, 09:08 AM
Aristocracy

King urges Thais to unite to solve nation

BANGKOK, Jan 1 (TNA) - His Majesty King Bhumibol Adulyadej in his New Year message to the nation urged his subjects to act in unison to bring an end to various problems confronting the Kingdom.

In a televised broadcast New Year Message Sunday night, His Majesty the King wished all Thais to render compassion, good intentions and encouragement to each other in order to boost their moral and physical strength to contribute to their prosperity and to the Kingdom's stability.

Old 01-04-2007, 10:01 PM
Aristocracy

New Year Card From His Majesty

HM usually offers a new year card to his people every year.
Old 01-12-2007, 12:17 PM
Aristocracy

HM with Bahrain Prime Minister

Thai King Bhumibol Adulyadej received Bahrain Prime Minister Shaikh Khalifa bin Salman Al Khalifa at Chitralada Palace.He welcomed the Premier and asserted that the meeting would further strengthen bilateral ties and boost Thailand's relations with the GCC countries.
The Prime Minister and King Bhumibol reviewed regional and international issues and other subjects of common concern.

http://www.gulf-daily-news.com/Story...&IssueID=29298
Old 01-18-2007, 05:36 AM
Aristocracy

His Majesty the King has approved the Royal Ceremonial Emblem to commemorate his 80th birthday next December.

The emblem was launched yesterday by the Fine Arts Department. The royal symbol was selected by the King from 12 styles designed by five artists of the department. His Majesty approved the 12th, designed by Sumet Putpuang.

"His Majesty gave suggestions to the artist about the pattern. The artist amended the pattern three times before it received royal approval," said the department's director-general Arak Sanghitkul.

Sumet said the composition of the emblem depicted the Royal Cipher of His Majesty placed on the Noble Throne and surmounted by the Great Crown of Victory. The backrest of the Great Crown shows the three-tiered umbrellas of kingship.[The Great White Umbrellas of the State: the center Nine-tiers is the crucial one to represent the Kingship and the conposition of 2 seven-tiers on both side] The emblem is decorated with 80 diamonds, signifying the King's age. An inscription is written on a pink ribbon. [Text on ribbon represent the celebration title "The Celebrations on the Auspicious Occasion of His Majesty the King’s 80th Birthday Anniversary, 5th December 2007"]

His Majesty suggested to Sumet to add nine Bullet Wood flowers on the octagon-shaped base that supports the Noble Throne.

The formal meaning of his latest work will be revealed by the Office of His Majesty's Principal Private Secretary soon.

People could decorate their homes with a flag bearing the emblem together with the national flag throughout the year without having to ask permission

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2007...l_30024444.php
Old 01-30-2007, 10:51 PM
Aristocracy

Global Leaders Award

KING OF THAILAND TO RECEIVE WIPO’S FIRST GLOBAL LEADERS AWARD

The King of Thailand, His Majesty King Bhumibol Adulyadej, will be the recipient of the World Intellectual Property Organization’s (WIPO) Global Leaders Award, in recognition of his remarkable contribution to intellectual property both as an inventor and as an active proponent of intellectual property as a tool for development. The WIPO Global Leaders Award is the Organization’s most prestigious recognition of outstanding contributions by world leaders to the cause of intellectual property to promote development.

As an inventor and an artist, His Majesty is a strong advocate of intellectual property, owning over 20 patents and 19 trademarks. Many of his inventions have generated concrete benefits for Thai communities, having been put to practical use in a range of rural development projects in Thailand. His Majesty was granted his first patent in 1993 for a system to resolve water shortage problem in the dry season, making him the first member of the royal family to obtain a patent. His Majesty is also a recognized and prolific artist, having created over 1,000 works, including paintings, photos, musical and literary works such as songs and novels.

The WIPO Global Leaders Award, which comprises a citation and a medal honoring the recipient, recognizes leadership and personal engagement in promoting intellectual property at the national, regional and international levels. It also rewards exceptional personal creative and innovative activities and use of the intellectual property system to protect these works.

The importance of intellectual property as a policy tool to promote development has been a key feature of Dr. Idris’ vision as Director General of the Organization since 1997. Dr. Idris has campaigned extensively to enhance awareness and understanding among global leaders of intellectual property and its strategic importance in promoting economic, social and cultural development. The new WIPO Global Leaders Award would contribute to the realization of the Director General’s vision.

WIPO/PR/2007/474: King of Thailand to Receive WIPO's First Global Leaders Award
Old 02-01-2007, 08:39 AM
Aristocracy

Prince Mahidol Award 2006

Bangkok, Feb 1 (Xinhua) Four doctors from the US and India received the Prince Mahidol Award 2006 from Thailand's King Bhumibol Aulyadej here for their contribution to medical and public health services. Stanley G. Schultz from the US University of Texas Medical School at Houston, American doctors David R. Nalin and Richard A. Cash, and Indian doctor Dilip Mahalanabis were presented the award in the field of medicine at the Chakri Throne Hall, the Grand Palace in Bangkok.

The Thai king praised the awardees as 'excellent examples of those who truly perform good deeds for the sake of goodness, because such achievements are not meant for any individual but for the benefit of mankind as a whole'.

Sponsored by a Thai royal family foundation, the Prince Mahidol Award is conferred annually to individuals or institutions who make outstanding contributions to the advancement of medical and public health services for humanity all over the world.

Closed Thread