The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Other Reigning Houses > Royal Family of Thailand

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-02-2016, 03:36 AM
Heir Apparent

Ailing Thai king's lung infection eases, kidneys still failing: palace | Daily Mail Online

Old 10-04-2016, 05:48 AM
Aristocracy

I arrived in Bangkok a couple of hours ago, and have just seen news of Saturday's bulletin. Now here's something a little spooky. A couple of months ago, when I was planning my trip, I had a dream that the King died while I was here. I told my sister-in-law, who is Thai, and I was surprised at how seriously she took my dream. It didn't help that the last time I came to Bangkok was in 2008 during the funeral of the King's sister Princess Galyani Vadhana. My sister-in-law said that dreams of death mean the person will live much longer than expected, or they really will die. Luckily I leave tomorrow for Beijing (where I join a tour of North Korea). But I will be back here for a few more days in November.

Old 10-05-2016, 08:35 AM
Gentry

^^ True, many of us (especially older people) believe that dreaming of a person dying means that the person will live longer. But the reality is...

We haven't seen the King nor the Queen on televisions or any media for months now, only palace announcements about their majesties' health conditions were made to public. Plus, there has been a very interesting development in recent weeks about one of the King's closest friends which resulted a major change inside Bureau of the Royal Household. The change of political landscape inside the bureau has signified something, something that I dare not speak any further :

The Nation (September 16, 2016) : Revered Lord Chamberlain passes away at 88

Bangkok Post (September 25, 2016) : Chirayu appointed Lord Chamberlain
Old 10-10-2016, 10:12 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

There are people in Thailand who wouldn't be surprised if the King has already died but is 'kept alive' by the powers that be to keep the order in the country.
Old 10-10-2016, 10:23 AM
Imperial Majesty

I think it's time to let him go now.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 10-10-2016, 10:41 AM
Majesty

as of late his condition has been getting worse and worse, with several ailments of various kinds. i think everyone is expecting the inevitable by now. i wonder what will happen in thailand when he dies.

Chubb Fuddler, interesting to hear about the dream and the significance for thai people. interesting to hear you took a tour of North Korea, an acquaintance of mine has been there recently. i hope you'll tell us more about your thoughts.
http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/
Take some time to sign the petitions @: http://www.thepetitionsite.com/animal-welfare/all
Old 10-10-2016, 10:47 AM
Royal Highness

Will the Crown Prince of Thailand is going to be a good King and popular?
Old 10-10-2016, 11:00 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blog Real View Post
Will the Crown Prince of Thailand is going to be a good King and popular?
It is forbidden in Thailand to say something negative about the RF, you risk a prison sentence. But from what I know from thai-origin friends in Europe the CP is not popular at all, his father is treated like a saint and the son is clearly not a saint. They worship Bhumibol but we'll see if people will follow (with or without enthusiasm) or stand up against the son.
The god-like status of the King is a highly sensitive political issue, any uproar against the monarchy, because the CP is not qualified/appropriate/whatever could bring a whole country into turmoil.
Old 10-10-2016, 11:43 AM
Serene Highness

I expect a Revolution after the old King dies.. Thai friends [monarchists] have NO time for that 'reprobate'[their words] Crown Prince...
Old 10-10-2016, 12:34 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
I expect a Revolution after the old King dies.. Thai friends [monarchists] have NO time for that 'reprobate'[their words] Crown Prince...
Come on. One of the interesting mechanics of monarchies is that people tend to rally around the successor. Note that neither King Philippe nor King Willem-Alexander or King Felipe were held in too high esteem. Philippe, that wooden goof? Willem-Alexander, that loose cannon? Felipe, has he ever uttered an original sentence?

But what happened? Du moment these three became King, the people gave them credit and goodwill and they do it unexpectedly well. All three of them. I am sure we will witness the same mechanism when Thailand is in mourning and the new King stands up.
Old 10-10-2016, 01:08 PM
Heir Presumptive

Imo the Thai monarchy and culture can't be compared to the (west) european ones... to name one difference: a couple of posts ago a poster mentioned that criticizing the Thai RF is illegal; in the NL the queen once openly called her husband (the now king) "a bit dumb" on national tv..

I hope they are not keeping King Bhumibol alive because they fear the country's stability, but even if they are, they can't do it forever... i only hope the transition will be peaceful for the Thai people...
Old 10-10-2016, 01:21 PM
Imperial Majesty

I just feel he's being put through a lot of torture at the point. It's just time to let it be, IMO.

GENTLEMAN'S ESSENTIALS
Old 10-10-2016, 01:58 PM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
Come on. One of the interesting mechanics of monarchies is that people tend to rally around the successor. Note that neither King Philippe nor King Willem-Alexander or King Felipe were held in too high esteem. Philippe, that wooden goof? Willem-Alexander, that loose cannon? Felipe, has he ever uttered an original sentence?

But what happened? Du moment these three became King, the people gave them credit and goodwill and they do it unexpectedly well. All three of them. I am sure we will witness the same mechanism when Thailand is in mourning and the new King stands up.
I agree with Lee-Z, there is no comparison. There is a difference between the western monarchies without power (not only political but social), open to debate and critizism and the Thai monarchy that basically has built an image by brainwashing people (for our standards) by putting up posters on every street showing king and queen (how they looked decades ago) in goodwill postures, almost like gods, the father and mother of the people.

Felipe etc are in no comparison with the Thai CP in terms of education, conduct etc. Then, if people give them credit or not, they do it by choice, if they like them, say say so, if they don't they critizise or even protest.

Unthinkable in Thailand. Bhumibol is from a different era, people are devoted to him to the degree that some might kill themselves out of desperation when the father of the nation passes. The fact that Thais don't consider his son a god is already kind of outrageous protest for Thai standards and is being oppressed - government is heavily censoring the press and attacking other governments for allowing critical coverage.

This has nothing to do with the institutional monarchies of Europe.
Old 10-10-2016, 02:35 PM
Nobility

One gets the feeling that Thailand is a ticking time-bomb just waiting for the moment that the King dies. I hope I'm wrong, but I fear I'm not.
Old 10-10-2016, 08:58 PM
Heir Apparent

article regarding the King's health
Thai King Bhumibol Adulyadej in "unstable" condition - CNN.com
Old 10-12-2016, 07:02 AM
Gentry

Even members of the Privy Council including the president (and former prime minister) General Prem Tinsulanonda dislike him. They prefer his younger sister as does the majority of the Thais.

And after the palace issued the 37th announcement on Monday (October 10) which stated the King's health is "unstable", Thailand's stock market is in a free fall :

Code:
October 7  : 1,504.34
October 10 : 1,457.02 	-47.32    (-3.15%)
October 11 : 1,442.21   -14.81    (-1.02%)
October 12 : 1,406.18   -36.03    (-2.50%)

Source : [1], [2]
Bloomberg : Thailand Stocks, Currency Slump Amid Concern Over Kingĺs Health
Old 10-12-2016, 08:26 AM
Gentry

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-ocha abruptly cancelled his official engagements in the eastern province of Chonburi and returned to Bangkok this afternoon :

Thai PBS English : PM cuts short visit in Chon Buri
The Straits Times : Thai PM cancels engagements, to meet Crown Prince; stocks, currency slump amid concern over King's health

Some royal decoration ceremonies have been cancelled as well :

Khaosod English : State events cancelled as Thailand waits for His Majesty to recover

Khoasod Newspaper (in Thai) also reported that members of the royal family are gathering at Siriraj Hospital :

Khaosod : พระบรมฯ เสด็จฯถึงศิริราช ฟ้าหญิง-ทูลกระหม่อม เฝ้าพระอาการ

Quote:
October 12, 2016 at Siriraj Hospital (all times are GMT+7) :
3.25 pm. - HRH Princess Chulabhorn Walailak arrives
4.18 pm. - HRH Princess Siribhachudhabhorn and HRH Princess Adityadhornkitikhun arrive
4.51 pm. - HRH Princess Ubolratana Rajakanya arrives
5.09 pm. - HRH Crown Prince Maha Vajiralongkorn arrives
Old 10-12-2016, 08:29 AM
Gentry

In case of any emergency announcements, you can follow a live broadcast from Thai PBS here.

Closed Thread