The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Other Reigning Houses > Royal Family of Thailand

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 06-14-2006, 06:26 PM
Heir Apparent

Very original gifts.

Old 06-14-2006, 06:48 PM
Serene Highness

What an incredible event this has been! A spectacular showcase for Thailand. Everyone looked amazing, especially Mette-Marit and Maxima. It was also great fun to see photos of the royals out exploring like typical tourists.

Old 06-14-2006, 08:21 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhapsodyBrat
just to mention, i also loved the way the women placed flower petals (or something else--please correct me if i'm wrong ) on the carpet at the airport as the guests walked by. an absolutely wonderful way to welcome a guest! :) if i had been given a treatment like that i'd feel really honored and flattered.
now that's what i call a royal treatment

Yes, I also like how they shielded the guests from the strong sun with those huge... ehh...umbrellas?(I'm sure there's another name for them). Very thoughtful. They really seemed to think of every detail to make all the guests feel comfortable and welcomed.
Old 06-14-2006, 11:11 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Brunei, Malaysia & Dubai

From the pictures I've seen so far, the Sultan of Brunei and King Bhumibol seem to be good friends. Incidentally, the former will be celebrating his 60th birthday next month.
The Sultan's speech at the banquet was very good.

Some pictures of the Bruneian royals at the banquet (Infofoto)

Old 06-15-2006, 12:25 AM
Heir Apparent

More of Royal Departures...

14 June 2005

Prince Alois of Liechtenstein

Queen Sofia of Spain

15 June 2006

Prince Henrik of Denmark

More News...

Akihito, Michiko cherish royal ties

Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko of Japan will be cherishing their close relationship with Their Majesties the King and Queen and the Royal Family as they leave Bangkok today, says the Emperor's press secretary. Sakutaro Tanino, press secretary to the Emperor, told yesterday's press briefing that the relationship between the Thai and Japanese royal families, in particular the King and Queen and Emperor and Empress, is very close, intimate and warm.

The press secretary said it was a record for a Japanese emperor to have visited Thailand eight times, in this case twice after acceding to the throne.
''It is seldom that an emperor or a crown prince visits the same country more than once,'' he said.

The Emperor and Empress had both wished to come to Thailand to congratulate His Majesty the King on the 60th anniversary of his accession to the throne.
''Certainly, Their Majesties would leave Bangkok with happy memories and warm appreciation for the kind offer of your Royal Family,'' Mr Tanino said.
He said in the eyes of the Japanese, the King plays an important role in safeguarding democracy and resolving national crises, and loves and cares for the less privileged people _ which is very much in common with the Japanese emperor.

(...)
As Japan's crown prince and princess in 1964, they were warmly welcomed by Their Majesties the King and Queen and spent three memorable nights at the royal villa in Chiang Mai.
The Emperor said he would never forget their visit in 1991, his first overseas trip after acceding to the throne, as they visited an ethnic Hmong village and one of the Royal Projects.

''I fondly recall how, during our flight between Bangkok and Chiang Mai, His Majesty discreetly brought out his favourite clarinet from behind his seat and, accepting our request, played for us Benny Goodman's Memories of You,'' the Emperor said.
''I have also always thought highly of Thailand's national character that values courtesy and politeness,'' he added.

Yesterday, the Emperor and Empress enjoyed their time in the old capital of Ayutthaya, where they received a warm welcome from locals, visited historic sites and had lunch at the Queen's riverside palace Siriyalai.
Upon their arrival at the Ayutthaya historical study centre yesterday, they were greeted by Her Royal Highness Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn, her nieces Khun Ploypailin and Khun Sirikitiya Jensen, Ayutthaya Governor Somchai Choomrat, officials, locals and many Japanese working in the province.
http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/15Jun2006_news03.php

Monarchy 'stabilising influence'
Royal guest: May be govt's best adviser

Monarchies still have an important role in the modern world, where they can help stabilise a country and may be the government's best adviser, HRH Grand Duke Henri of Luxembourg said yesterday. All countries have their own systems, culture, and ways of doing things, he said in an exclusive interview with the Bangkok Post.
''But I think a monarchy can bring a lot to the people, stability to the country, royal principles, and may be the best adviser of the government,'' he said.

HM the King, with his sufficiency economy philosophy, had shown what can be done to sustain nature while developing agriculture for the benefit of the farmers.
''I think this [concept] is an example for the world, as well,'' the Grand Duke said.
''The King has himself been doing a lot of research in agriculture, so he is directly involved in developing new possibilities for the country. I think other countries can take examples from the things he has managed.''

(...)
''He is an incredible model of humanity, supporting all the people in Thailand. He is also an example for all of us, all the monarchs, and other leaders. We should learn from him and try his path,'' he said.

The Grand Duke also paid tribute to the King's cultural pursuits. ''I was amazed by the music I heard at the banquet last night; most was composed by His Majesty. It's really high quality music. He also gave me a book of his music,'' he said.
During the Grand Duke's last visit to Thailand about seven years ago, the King presented him with a book of his writings.
''It's really nice. He is a highly intellectual person. I appreciate him for all these aspects,'' he said.

During his four-day visit to Thailand, the Grand Duke visited Chatuchak market then crossed via the MRT underpass to the Or To Ko (Marketing Organisation for Farmers) fresh market opposite, tasting his favourite fruit, durian, as well as roast pork and lots of Thai desserts.
He walked for almost an hour in Yaowaraj, inquiring about the banners proclaiming ''Long Live the King'', visiting a gold shop and a traditional Chinese pharmacy, before moving on to the Pak Klong Talad wholesale market where he was presented with garlands and bouquets of flowers _ and one woman gave him a teddy bear.

He said the unity the people showed in dressing in yellow for the King ''was absolutely exceptional, and I am really honoured and proud to be part of the celebrations''.
''I was given many flowers but I can't take all the flowers with me, even though I would love to. The teddy bear I will certainly take back to Luxembourg and I will send it to my grandchild,'' he said.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/15Jun2006_news01.php
Old 06-15-2006, 01:23 AM
Gentry

Princess Srirasmi is wearing a tiara. Or is it a brooch. Is it part of the thai tiara collection? This is the only picture I could find.

http://img152.imagevenue.com/img.php...ge=15374_5.jpg
Old 06-15-2006, 01:39 AM
Royal Highness

In my opinion, this has to be the grandest and best royal event ever so far! The hospitality of the Thais and their royals overwhelms me. Everything was personalized and even their departure was in V.I.P. style. The planning it took for this event paid off because everything went off without a hitch. Each royal must have felt so welcome with the traditional gifts and personal security entourage to ensure their safety.

A special thank you to everyone who provided pictures and articles. I think this event reminds us why royalty is still relevant and exists today. The love for the King from the Thai people is something truly special and one of a kind in this day and age.
Old 06-15-2006, 02:55 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by soCal girl
A special thank you to everyone who provided pictures and articles. I think this event reminds us why royalty is still relevant and exists today. The love for the King from the Thai people is something truly special and one of a kind in this day and age.
Yes, thanx to everyone for providing us with a magnificent insight into this most auspicious occasion - breathtaking indeed! And yet, at the same time, amidst all those great numbers of people and frenetic activity you see things like the temples in the background, the calm river waters, the flowers...and it all exudes and air of peace and tranquility.

I was VERY impressed even with the guests - I have nothing negative to say about the ladies attending the gala events except this: it just goes to show that when there is a demand for decorum they CAN pull out all stops!

I was so everwhelmed by all the pics that I didn't have time to read all the blurb; has anyone pointed out what seemed to be a common occurrence in most photographs: someone with a positive air about her, seemingly ready to please, REALLY enjoying herself and always smiling, doing her utmost - almost seemed to be the glue that held everything together - Princess Sirindhorn! What a remarkable woman she seems to be.
Old 06-15-2006, 03:09 AM
Heir Apparent

More Royal guests depart Thailand

BANGKOK, June 15 (TNA) - More members of world royalty, who visited Thailand earlier this week to join state and Royal ceremonies celebrating the auspicious occasion of His Majesty King Bhumibol Adulyadej's 60 years on the throne, have departed Thailand.
They include Her Majesty Queen Sofia of Spain, His Serene Highness Prince Hans Adam II of Liechtenstein and His Royal Highness Prince Henrik, the Prince Consort of Denmark.
Her Majesty Queen Sofia of Spain and His Serene Highness Prince Hans Adam II of Liechtenstein left Bangkok Wednesday night, while His Royal Highness Prince Henrik, the Prince Consort of Denmark, departed the Thai capital early Thursday morning.
http://etna.mcot.net/query.php?nid=22610

More of Royal Departures...

15 June 2005

Emperor Akihito & Empress Michiko of Japan

King Mswati III of Swaziland

(pictures from Thai Photo Center)
Old 06-15-2006, 03:26 AM
Heir Apparent

More from the departure of the Emperor & Empress
(from ThaiPhotoCenter & AFP-profimedia & EPA-ANP)

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NWS-1058135.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	249324   Click image for larger version

Name:	NWS-1058149.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	249325   Click image for larger version

Name:	NWS-1058163.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	249326   Click image for larger version

Name:	NWS-1058140.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	249333  

Name:	NWS-1058148.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	249334   Click image for larger version

Name:	3189252.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	249339  
Old 06-15-2006, 04:48 AM
Heir Apparent

15 June 2006

Crown Prince Jigme Khesar Namgyel Wangchuck of Bhutan speaks during an audience with HRH Crown Prince Maha Vajiralongkorn, the Royal Consort HRH Princess Srirasmi and HRH Prince Teepangkorn Rasmichoti yesterday at Don Muang airport.
(from Nation)

More News & Articles ...

Bonds of Amity between Thai and Foreign Royal Families (15/6/2006)

Although many activities as part of the 60th anniversary celebrations of His Majesty the King’s accession to the throne still continue, the impressive ceremonies highlighting the celebrations have concluded.
(...)

Representing foreign royals in delivering an address at the banquet was His Majesty Sultan Haji Hassanal Bolkiah Mu’izzaddin Waddaulah, the sultan and yang di-pertuan of Brunei Darussalam. He said that monarchs and royal representatives from 25 countries were here, in Thailand, to honor not only His Majesty the King and Thai people, but also the substance of His Majesty’s reign. He stressed that the foreign monarchs and royal representatives were here to express their profound esteem for the personal qualities with which His Majesty has so enriched it.

In his address, the sultan and yang di-pertuan said that its sixty years are not just sixty years in the history of Thailand. They are, in so many ways, the history of our times, the good and the bad, the joyous and the sad, the exciting and the desperate. These times have brought the most rapid and far-reaching changes ever seen in mankind’s history. They have challenged every aspect of our existence, above all as sovereign nations. They have presented moments when great decisions and judgment have been called for.
He pointed out that His Majesty has never sought to distance himself from the lives of his people. His Majesty has never asked them to be followers or mere subjects. He has shared their joys, fears, and disappointments.

The Sultan of Brunei Darussalam praised His Majesty for making Thais deeply proud of their heritage and their identity. His Majesty has made his people feel that the Kingdom of Thailand is indeed their own Kingdom, because His Majesty has given them confidence. Much of this comes from His Majesty’s own personal achievements. These have rightly been a source of great inspiration to Thai people, whether academic, artistic, scientific, or in the most human of terms, the simple example of a good and loving father. All these achievements have now been recognized by the international community.

He honored His Majesty with a dear and very special title of the Friend and Most Respected Colleague of the visiting royals.
http://www.60thcelebrations.com/engl...ail.php?id=141

Portrait of most beloved King
National commemoration of His Majesty's 60th year on the throne offers the world the clear impression that he is the most loved monarch of modern times

The festive mood of the Thais has not yet subsided even as most of the royal guests for the stunning celebration of His Majesty the King's 60 years on the throne began to fly home yesterday.
Indeed, the jubilee celebration, which went on between June 8 and June 13, has proved to have had an enormous impact on the Thai people. It has created a long-lasting spiritual bond between them and their Monarch in a way that people from other cultures may find hard to understand.

The Thais love and revere their King deeply for reasons beyond a simple explanation; and it seems that they can't have enough of him. But if one is to venture to explain why the King is so popular among his people, then it is safe to assert that it is because the King has practised the highest virtue in accordance with Buddhist ideology during the 60 years of his reign.
It is simply amazing that the ninth King of the Chakri Dynasty bears such huge popularity like a rock star. People line up in long queues to acquire a variety of the memorabilia associated with the jubilee celebration, such as stamps, Bt60 denominated banknotes, the Royal Emblem, the yellow shirts with the Royal Emblem or with a simple phrase "Rak Nai Luang" (Love the King).
http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2006...s_30006493.php

Guests delight in King's celebration
Bhutan, Kuwait hope to capture memory of event by boosting ties with Thailand

The Crown Prince of Bhutan and the Sheikh of Kuwait were delighted to have attended the celebration of His Majesty the King's 60th anniversary on the throne, caretaker Deputy Prime Minister Surakiart Sathirathai said yesterday.

At 9.30am, Surakiart had an audience with His Royal Highness Jigme Khesar Namgyel Wangchuck of Bhutan at the Royal Orchid Sheraton Hotel and spoke with him for nearly an hour.
"The Crown Prince told me he had met with several other kings and queens in his lifetime, but his dream was to meet the King of Thailand because he had closely followed the work of HM the King. So this occasion has made his dream come true," Surakiart said.

He said bilateral relations between Thailand and Bhutan were at their best, adding he expressed Thailand's readiness to share its knowledge and expertise with Bhutanese officials in the fields of agriculture and industry. At the same time, Thailand is also interested in learning from Bhutan, especially its success in environmental conservation.

Later, at 11.40am, Surakiart went to the Intercontinental Hotel to meet with His Highness Sheikh Sabah al-Ahmad al-Jaber al-Sabah of Kuwait and talked with him for about 40 minutes.
"His Highness asked me to pass on his congratulations to the King and wish His Majesty very good health. He said he felt very honoured to be at the celebration. It was the first time that representatives of 25 royal families had gathered together in one place," he said.
http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2006...s_30006494.php
Old 06-15-2006, 05:43 AM
Commoner

Thank you so much Jess for having spent so much time on this threat to make it look as beautiful and informative as it is now. You have done such a wonderful work. :)
Old 06-15-2006, 06:05 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by zineb
well said rosa.
i noticed her excitement whenever she greeted the king and queen of thailand
something is different between her and other princesses. They looked calm, but she doesn’t. she seems flashy and over looked.
yes, crown princesses (mette-maritt, maxima and mathilde) are lovely, simple, elegant and calm
it seems that lalla salma likes all what is flashy, it's her right, but personally I don't like that
about her excitement, I think that she was tense in front of the royal couple, and she didn't know how thanks them with elegance
Old 06-15-2006, 09:37 AM
Heir Presumptive

I think theese are different, from Rex

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	592969BK.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	249366   Click image for larger version

Name:	592969BL.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	249367   Click image for larger version

Name:	592969BM.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	249368   Click image for larger version

Name:	592969BN.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	37.2 KB
ID:	249369  

Name:	592969BT.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	249370   Click image for larger version

Name:	592969V.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	249371  
Old 06-15-2006, 12:48 PM

IT's all from Pantip - so many Thai people capture these wonderful shot of His and Her Majesty take care of each other.That's really impressed moment I will not forget the meaning of "True Love" from this shot.

Old 06-15-2006, 06:11 PM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Month Representative - Brunei, Malaysia & Dubai

I thought Lalla Salma looked quite elegant in Thailand this week. Her western outfits were stylish and her caftans were quite pretty too, not so over-the-top in terms of colour and pattern as they've been in the past. The red caftan with the contrasting emerald jewellery was quite striking. I only wish she'd do something different with her hair. Its quite unique and makes her stand out among all the other royals.
Old 06-15-2006, 11:01 PM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by clymène
I agree the colour of her caftan is not beautiful at all. But the jewelry seems nice. Thanks for posting little star!
Clymene I agree with you. The green Jewelry is gorgeous (looks like jade) but the dress is too bright. Washs out her pale complexion
Old 06-16-2006, 08:58 AM
Royal Highness

Note aside I have to say the Thai Princesess are spectacular beauties! Any information on them and their families? Another question, was the major event televised?
Old 06-16-2006, 10:58 AM
Aristocracy

Another lovely pic of Pss Ubolratana and her two daughters during the celebration
(from pantip.com)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	A4454989-12.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	249783  
Old 06-16-2006, 11:21 AM
Royal Highness

Thanks for the picture. I just read she relinquish her Royal Title when she married an American
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubol_Ratana and she is the lady whose young son was lost during the tragic Tsunami.