Dutch State Visit to Thailand: January 19-23, 2004

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Originally posted by Beate@Jan 21st, 2004 - 6:06 pm
Yes, I was really wondering about Bhumibol. Barely a smile at the airport ( Beatrix seemed so much happier) and whenever there was an official picture taken.. maybe he is too reserved..I still thought it was a bit strange..

I remember photos of him a long time ago when he didn't look so grumpy...I am pretty sure they converse in English or even French. Sirikit and Bhumibol used to live in Lausanne and that's where their first child, Ubol Ratana was born..BTW she has inherited the beauty of her mother..Too bad we can't see her..
He's suffered from ill health lately. He's probably just tired. Besides, the Thais expect their King to be more reserved. He's considered to be god like, after all.

Sean.

From the Benelux Royals Messageboard:
Posted by joris on 22/1/2004, 8:44:55

According to the doyen of the corps diplomatique Argentinean Ambassador Garcia attending the concert offered by Queen Beatrix to King Bhumibol and Queen Sirikit in Bankgok yesterday evening Queen Beatrix will pay a state visit to the Republic of Argentina in 2005, not exactly known when, but also the RVD states that Beatrix´ visit should be reckoned with. Not only the Queen but also the Prince of Orange and Princess Máxima will take part. The latter can count on a ´grand welcome´ (groots onthaal) in her native country. ´Each Argentinean girls dreams of becoming a princess´ H.E. said...
Busy, festive year 2005...

"He's suffered from ill health lately. He's probably just tired. Besides, the Thais expect their King to be more reserved. He's considered to be god like, after all. "

That explains it. But still a little more smiling could be nice too.

from expatica:

Thai King pardons Dutch drug smugglers

22 January 2004

AMSTERDAM — Thailand's King Bhumibol Adulyadej has granted a pardon to two drug smugglers from the Netherlands as Dutch Foreign Minister Ben Bot confirmed startling progress in talks aimed at signing a prisoner-exchange treaty. Human rights group Amnesty International has repeatedly condemned the treatment of prisoners in the South-East Asian nation.

The pardons came as Minister Bot prepared to meet with his Thai colleague and the Thai Justice Minister on Thursday in ongoing diplomatic efforts to reach a treaty allowing Dutch detainees to serve out part of their sentence in the Netherlands.

Queen Beatrix and Crown Prince Willem-Alexander are also in Thailand for a five-day State visit to officially mark 400-years of ties between the two nations, but the monarch had also been expected to discuss an extradition treaty with Thai authorities. She engaged in private talks with King Bhumibol.

The prisoners to be granted a pardon — both of whom requested such a ruling — were sentenced in 1993 and 1995 to 40 and 50-years jail respectively, news agency ANP reported on Thursday.

A pastor with the Epafras foundation — which works to assist Dutch nationals detained in foreign nations — identified the two men as Pedro Ruyzing and George Ofosuhene, who was sentenced in 1993 for the smuggling of hard drugs.

Their identities have not been officially confirmed, but the pastor also said Ruyzing, 45, of The Hague, was sentenced in 1995 for heroin smuggling. The taxi driver has served eight years in the infamous Bangkwang prison and because he does not have a lawyer, the man is handling his own defence.

Minister Bot — who said the two men will probably be released next week — also announced that should detainee Machiel Kuijt appeal against his life-sentence — as expected — he could expect an accelerated procedure.

After being acquitted on drugs charges in March 2002, Kuijt was convicted and sentenced on appeal late last year. He has been in a Thai prison since his arrest in 1997, but stands a chance to return home to the Netherlands once the prisoner-exchange treaty has been signed.

Bot also raised hopes that two Dutch nationals of Chinese ancestry — both of whom were arrested in 2000 and sentenced to death — could soon have their sentences commuted to life in prison. Of note is that the Dutch ambassador in Thailand said that Thai death sentences are rarely carried out.

But if the men have their death sentences commuted into life, it is also possible that they will be repatriated to jail in the Netherlands.

It was reported on Monday that the prisoner-exchange treaty was not expected to be finalised before the end of the week due to legal stumbling blocks. But the speed of progress made in the past few days is surprising and Minister Bot now believes the treaty is within hands' reach.

Such a treaty could allow detainees sentenced to long jail terms to return home to the Netherlands once they have served eight years in Thailand. This means that Kuijt might be allowed to return home next year, Dutch public news service NOS reported.

The Christian Democrat CDA minister also said earlier this week that Thai authorities would need to offer the Dutch certain concessions. Dutch sentences are much lighter than those imposed in Thailand and it is thus possible that the treaty might allow for Dutch authorities to release detainees upon their return to the Netherlands, Radio 1 Journal reported.

There are currently 15 Dutch nationals serving time in the Thai prison system, which was condemned last year by Amnesty International for regular human rights breaches, such as torture and cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment.

A Thai delegation visited the Netherlands last November to discuss an extradition treaty and besides his meetings with Thai government ministers, Bot was also meeting with the highest legal advisor to the Thai king this week. He was scheduled to fly home later on Thursday.

Originally posted by The Watcher@Jan 22nd, 2004 - 9:54 am
He smiles (a little bit)  :woot:

Finally.

Yes, he smiled twice.. he must have read this board.:):)

I didn't know that he was ill. What exactly was wrong with him?

I remember that his wife, Sirikit, was quite ill a few years ago..She was one of the most beautiful queens in her youth!

Originally posted by Beate@Jan 22nd, 2004 - 10:35 am
Yes, he smiled twice.. he must have read this board.:):)

I didn't know that he was ill. What exactly was wrong with him?

I remember that his wife, Sirikit, was quite ill a few years ago..She was one of the most beautiful queens in her youth!
He's had a whole slew of problems, actually.

He had a hernia operation on his left side back in March. The year before that he had a hernia operation on his right side. Earlier that year he also had prostate surgery. See link for an article

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/2818845.stm

All the best,

Sean

Thanks, Sean! The poor man certainly had a rough time! I also didn't realize that he was already 75! He is looking great for his age..

Do you also remember what was wrong with Queen Sirikit years ago? I remember rumours about cancer and that she wasn't seen in public for a long time. I don't know if my memory is that great though, thus, the question.:)

Polfoto 22-01-2004-BANGKOK: A girl of the Kredtrakarn Protection and Occupational Development Center gestures as she offers her traditional fruit, Bangkok 22 January 2004 . Dutch Beatrix visited today a shelterhome for neglected little girls.

Attachments

• bowing.jpg
    bowing.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 335
Polfoto 22-01-2004-BANGKOK: Girls of the Kredtrakarn Protection and Occupational Development Center paint for Dutch Queen Beatrix, Bangkok 22 January 2004. Dutch Beatrix visited today a shelter home for misspent little girls.

Attachments

• painting.jpg
    painting.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 204
Nice pictures!

I loved the attires of Queen Beatrix especially her hats.

Photos from IBL

Attachments

• 00051220.jpg
    00051220.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 554
  • 00051222.jpg
    00051222.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 535
  • 00051223.jpg
    00051223.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 587
  • 00051221.jpg
    00051221.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 585
  • 00051010.jpg
    00051010.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 623
  • 00051228.jpg
    00051228.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 569
  • 00051229.jpg
    00051229.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 561
  • 00051218.jpg
    00051218.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 547
  • 00051226.jpg
    00051226.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 531
Last edited by a moderator:
"He's suffered from ill health lately. He's probably just tired. Besides, the Thais expect their King to be more reserved. He's considered to be god like, after all. "

That explains it. But still a little more smiling could be nice too.

This King suffers from his ill health. He has gone under two operations already.
only in his youth that he smiled constantly. :cry:

Yes! a bit smilling could be nice.I'm agree :lol:

well,if you intend to see him smile click this link :flower: http://www.lestribunesroyales.com/forums/i...?showtopic=4044

This thread has now been cleaned up. Unfortunately, a lot of posts had to be removed because they were originally linked to Benelux Press or Polfoto. I am hoping that we can re-build this thread of Beatrix and Willem on this visit to Thailand together.

Back
Top Bottom