Death of King Bhumibol Adulyadej: October 13, 2016

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My sincere condolences to the Royal Family and the people of Thailand - a very sad and traumatic day for them all.

It's one of those dreadful situations where it must surely have been expected, but just as shocking and sad.

King Bhumibol was an extraordinary monarch, as much for the unique and revered position he held in his country as for the length of his reign.

From the BBC:

Thailand's King Bhumibol Adulyadej dies at 88 - BBC News

Some Portuguese websites have already confirmed the death of the King of Thailand. Looks like it's official.

May His Majesty rest in peace. He was a great man and a great King.

My sincere condolences to the Royal Family and the Thai people. God bless you all.

Rest In Peace to the King.

Condolences to the royal family and people of Thailand ...

Hopefully the kingdom will survive the upcoming enthronement without turmoil of any kind.

Last edited:
Seventy years on the Thai throne...amazing!

May he RIP, and may the accession of his successor be a peaceful one.

Official statement from Bureau of the Royal Household was read earlier this evening in a nationwide broadcast :

Announcement of Bureau of the Royal Household

His Majesty King Bhumibol Adulyadej Mahitalathibet Ramathibodi Chakkrinaruebodin Sayamminthrathirat Borommanatthabophit passes away.

His Majesty King Bhumibol Adulyadej Mahitalathibet Ramathibodi Chakkrinaruebodin Sayamminthrathirat Borommanatthabophit stayed at Siriraj Hospital since Friday October 3rd, 2014 to treat his illness as announced by the bureau accordingly.

Despite the utmost effort by a team of physicians was made to heal His Majesty's condition, His Majesty's health does not recover and deteriorates respectively, however. Until Thursday October 13th, 2016 at 15.52 O'clock, His Majesty peacefully passed away at Siriraj Hospital. His Majesty was 89 years old and reigned for 70 years in total.

Bureau of the Royal Household
October 13th, 2016.​

[youtube]tmdYZ22f2hk[/youtube]​

Last edited:
His Majesty's biography by History Channel :

[youtube]4E8_gjD-5L4[/youtube]

"Soul of the Nation" by BBC :

[youtube]5ih9cgmYY5M[/youtube]

[youtube]WJVpPZR3vsc[/youtube]

His Majesty The King of Bhutan received the news of the passing of His Majesty King Bhumibol Adulyadej of Thailand with immense sorrow.
His Majesty, His Majesty the Fourth Druk Gyalpo, members of the Royal Family led a group of clergy, senior government officials and the Thai community in Bhutan, in offering a thousand butter lamps and prayers in memory of King Bhumibol at the Kuenra of the Tashichhodzong.

https://scontent.fath3-1.fna.fbcdn....=06b7924c823f62207dbb3dd06db8a110&oe=586D28C9
https://scontent.fath3-1.fna.fbcdn.net/t31.0-8/14711650_10154470240938260_7721563487209252817_o.jpg
https://scontent.fath3-1.fna.fbcdn.net/t31.0-8/14556516_10154470240933260_4519009740267263606_o.jpg
https://scontent.fath3-1.fna.fbcdn.net/t31.0-8/14711644_10154470241303260_144503536841833491_o.jpg

May one king long be remembered for his dedication and devotion to his people and may another king remember to follow in his footsteps. :flowers:

Official statement from Office of the Prime Minister was read earlier in a nationwide broadcast :

Announcement of Office of the Prime Minister regarding of the death of His Majesty the King

According to the announcement of Bureau of the Royal Household regarding of the death of His Majesty King Bhumibol Adulyadej Mahitalathibet Ramathibodi Chakkrinaruebodin Sayamminthrathirat Borommanatthabophit dated October 13th, 2016, The government has been acknowledged with great sorrows, thus appropriately agrees to announce as follows:

All public places, state enterprises, governmental departments and educational institutions to lower the flags at half-mast for thirty days since October 14th, 2016 henceforth. Second, state officials, state enterprise employees and government officers to mourn for one year since October 14th, 2016 henceforth. For ordinary citizens, please consider to proceed appropriately.

Announced on October 13th, 2016.
Office of the Prime Minister​

[youtube]zfo18rC4fyo[/youtube]

The Belgian Royal Family offers it's condolences to the people of Thailand: "Deeply saddened by the passing of HM King Bhumibol at the end of a long Reign." Our thoughts go to His family and the Thaï population."

Learning with sadness of the death of His Majesty King Bhumibol Adulyadej of Thailand, special instructions have been received that all Union flags on the buildings of Her Majesty's Government should be lowered to half mast as soon as possible today (13 October 2016) until 2000 hours tomorrow (14 October).

King Bhumibol Adulyadej of Thailand: Flag Instructions - College of Arms

Officially announced on Thai television. My entire office is in tears...

i knew the royal family was very revered in thailand but i am so interested to see what devotion thais have for their royal family and late king.

is it specific to king bhumibol, or any kings before him were similarly revered? similarly, i wonder why there is such scrutiny towards the crown prince.

interesting times ahead for thailand.

^^ Another monarch that we still highly revere is King Chulalongkorn (King Rama V) as we regard him as "Royal Buddha". He westernized the country, implemented many reforms, ended slavery and, most importantly, helped Siam escape western colonialism at the time (Siam and Japan were the only Asian nations that sustain its sovereignty at that time). During his reign, we acknowledged of electricity, railway, postal service, telegraph, modern water system and etc. for the first time.

Learning with sadness of the death of His Majesty King Bhumibol Adulyadej of Thailand, special instructions have been received that all Union flags on the buildings of Her Majesty's Government should be lowered to half mast as soon as possible today (13 October 2016) until 2000 hours tomorrow (14 October).

King Bhumibol Adulyadej of Thailand: Flag Instructions - College of Arms

On behalf of the Thais, i am deeply grateful and thank you the government of the United Kingdoms. :heart:

I usually don't turn on the TV in the morning, but today I did before heading to work and saw the news of the King's passing. may he R.I.P.

"His son Crown Prince Maha Vajiralongkorn was expected to succeed him
However he has told the Thai PM he wants to delay becoming the king "
Thailand's King Bhumibol dead aged 88 | Daily Mail Online

RIP

My sincere condoleances to the Thai RF and the Thai people for their loss

Last edited:
My condolences to the Thai people oh the RF.
A certain epoch ended while the King embarked on his Last Journey...

I find it quite touching that HM, Queen Elizabeth II has really gone above and beyond the call for condolences to the people of Thailand on their loss of a very, beloved King. To show a physical mark of respect of lowering all Union flags to half mast is indeed a mark of great honor and respect for one that is no longer with us.

It must be hard for someone that has reigned as Queen for such a long time to bear witness to monarchs younger than herself passing away after a long reign themselves but she also realizes the extent of how a nation of people loved and respected their king over a span of many, many years. She also now has attained the rank of being the longest serving monarch in the world.

I think if we look and it most likely will be brought to the attention of us more in the days to come, we will be able to see pictures of HM, King Bhumibol with Queen Elizabeth II spanning many decades.

Condolences to the royal family and people of Thailand. May he RIP.

RIP to the King and may the country find peace in this difficult time.

Any news on Sirikit?

There is still no information about the funeral ceremonies of the King of Thailand?

i knew the royal family was very revered in thailand but i am so interested to see what devotion thais have for their royal family and late king.

is it specific to king bhumibol, or any kings before him were similarly revered? similarly, i wonder why there is such scrutiny towards the crown prince.
interesting times ahead for thailand.

The then CP was involved in many scandals (including several failed marriages) and showed, more than once, a very eccentric lifestyle - very different from his parents, that´s why.

Back
Top Bottom