The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Go Back   The Royal Forums > Reigning Houses > Other Reigning Houses > Royal Family of Thailand

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-25-2014, 06:30 AM
Aristocracy

I had lunch with my sister-in-law today, who is from Thailand. She had not heard that Princess Srirasmi had already been dropped, even though there had been rumours for months. I said that at least the Crown Prince has a legitimate son to succeed him, but she told me that Prince Dipangkorn will never be king as there is "something odd" about him (the rumour is autism). The story goes that the Crown Prince needed a bone marrow transplant (the rumour is AIDS), and that a son would be the ideal donor. He is estranged from his four sons by his second wife, so he decided to try for a new son.

Srirasmi's first pregnancy was a girl so she forced to have an abortion. Next time it was a boy, so in due course Prince Dipangkorn was born. The Crown Prince got his bone marrow transplant, and his health recovered. Princess Srirasmi was rewarded with official recognition as the Crown Prince's Consort, and her son would one day be king. But as Prince Dipangkorn got older, and it became obvious that something was wrong, Princess Srirasmi's days as royal consort where numbered.

My sister-in-law also told me that when she was in Bangkok a couple of months ago, she heard, for the first time, negative comments about Princess Sirindhorn. Apparently the Princess is sympathetic to plots to make her Crown Princess. It's not the prospect of her being Queen that has annoyed people, but the idea that she too is dabbling in political intrigue. But it now seems that the story was spread simply to gage public reaction, and that Princess Sirindhorn was as surprised as everybody else when she heard about it.

I asked my sister-in-law why there are so many rumours and stories about the Royal Family. She just shrugged her shoulders and said it's always been like that, and that it gets worse when the military is in power. But this time it is particularly bad as the current reign approaches its end. The King is no longer active on the political front. The Queen is interfering to try and ensure Crown Prince, her pride and joy, succeeds with a strong power base in the military. But, she said with a laugh, it's just as likely that not a single word of any of the rumours is true, particularly the more colourful ones. We'll just have to wait and see.

Old 12-25-2014, 08:23 AM
Nobility

Chubb Fuddler thank you for sharing these information , I really wanted to know what's the Thai people's opinion over this, which is mostly unlikely due to lese majesté .

So CP Vajiralongkorn married Srirasmi so that she could provide him a son and then that son could provide him bone marrow transplant??!! And now that he's got what he wanted, he dropped Srirasmi??!!

I neither like nor have the right to judge people base on their personal lives, as I will never know the whole truth, but the Crown Prince's personal life says something, the way he divorced his first wife, how he second wife fled with their children, the way he is estranged with his sons and how he dropped Srirasmi.
I don't know many things, but I really do believe that Princess Sirindhorn could be a better Queen for Thailand than her only brother as the king.

Old 12-25-2014, 11:18 PM
Gentry

What is certainly true about The Thai monarchy is that after this reign ends it will face a major challenge. The CP will be struggling to be the nation's monarch while being opposed by many people and even by the Privy Council itself. Privy Council's chief, Gen. Prem Tinsulanonda has long been against the CP's succession to the throne, privately. Despite most of Privy Council members prefer Princess Sirindhorn to be the next monarch, They could do nothing since, of course, the CP would not be happy about it and could drag the nation into a horrifying state.

We dislike our CP so much but we could do nothing also. We could only wait and see and hope the next reign will be as shortest as possible.
Old 12-26-2014, 09:44 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubb Fuddler View Post
I had lunch with my sister-in-law today, who is from Thailand. She had not heard that Princess Srirasmi had already been dropped, even though there had been rumours for months. I said that at least the Crown Prince has a legitimate son to succeed him, but she told me that Prince Dipangkorn will never be king as there is "something odd" about him (the rumour is autism). The story goes that the Crown Prince needed a bone marrow transplant (the rumour is AIDS), and that a son would be the ideal donor. He is estranged from his four sons by his second wife, so he decided to try for a new son.

Srirasmi's first pregnancy was a girl so she forced to have an abortion. Next time it was a boy, so in due course Prince Dipangkorn was born. The Crown Prince got his bone marrow transplant, and his health recovered. Princess Srirasmi was rewarded with official recognition as the Crown Prince's Consort, and her son would one day be king. But as Prince Dipangkorn got older, and it became obvious that something was wrong, Princess Srirasmi's days as royal consort where numbered.

My sister-in-law also told me that when she was in Bangkok a couple of months ago, she heard, for the first time, negative comments about Princess Sirindhorn. Apparently the Princess is sympathetic to plots to make her Crown Princess. It's not the prospect of her being Queen that has annoyed people, but the idea that she too is dabbling in political intrigue. But it now seems that the story was spread simply to gage public reaction, and that Princess Sirindhorn was as surprised as everybody else when she heard about it.

I asked my sister-in-law why there are so many rumours and stories about the Royal Family. She just shrugged her shoulders and said it's always been like that, and that it gets worse when the military is in power. But this time it is particularly bad as the current reign approaches its end. The King is no longer active on the political front. The Queen is interfering to try and ensure Crown Prince, her pride and joy, succeeds with a strong power base in the military. But, she said with a laugh, it's just as likely that not a single word of any of the rumours is true, particularly the more colourful ones. We'll just have to wait and see.
Interesting stories. What will happen?

I wanted to see recent photos of Prince Dipangkorn Rasmijoti to see if this is true.
Old 12-26-2014, 08:15 PM
Aristocracy

Here's a photo of the young prince and his parents:

Thailand pictures , news in pictures , photo in Thailand

Here's a video from 2011. It seems to be Prince Dipangkorn Rasmijoti's first official engagement. It's a bit odd to see him carrying out engagements at that age without either of his parents with him, though there is no lack of military support.

Here's his first day at school:

...and what looks like a birthday party.

He seems like a normal little boy to me, though an isolated one. The Crown Prince must be happy to let the military use him for propaganda purposes. If he is surrounded by military men and women, and has not had much interaction with other children, he may well be a bit socially awkward, which might be the source of autism rumours. Who knows? This article says the young prince suffers from attention deficit hyperactivity disorder:

http://www.asiasentinel.com/politics/thailand-bar-girl-princess-disappeared/

It will be interesting to see if Prince Dipangkorn falls out of favour when the Crown Prince, as expected, marries his current mistress.

https://nickobongiorno.wordpress.com/2014/12/12/bye-bye-srirasmi-hello-princess-nui/

Nui, a former Thai Airlines Hostess, is now Major General Suthida Vajiralongkorn. She and the Crown Prince already have a son.

https://twitter.com/zenjournalist/status/543602374745415680
Old 12-27-2014, 10:55 PM
Gentry

Quote:
...and what looks like a birthday party.
No, That was National Children's Day Fair at Area 904 (I guess some of the CP's military zones).
Old 12-28-2014, 12:08 AM
Commoner

Everyday I pray for king Bhumibol's health. I wish him healthy and stay with us forever. He is a great man who represent Thailand successfullly like his ancestors.
Old 12-28-2014, 10:29 AM
Royal Highness

The five month old son of Thailand crown prince Vajiralongkorn with his mistress Major General Suthida (Nui).

https://nickobongiorno.wordpress.com...w-baby-prince/
Old 12-28-2014, 11:48 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siamesess View Post
Everyday I pray for king Bhumibol's health. I wish him healthy and stay with us forever. He is a great man who represent Thailand successfullly like his ancestors.
I'm no big fan of the Thai royal family, the military or the Shinawatra clan, but I have respect for King Bhumibol. I think it's going to be even more trouble in Thailand when he dies. Is there any news about his health in Thai media?
Old 12-28-2014, 12:16 PM
Serene Highness

Honestly, the Thai royal situation sounds like a bad soap opera or how European royals acted in fifteenth century but not a modern royal family.
Old 12-28-2014, 12:48 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaryllus View Post
Honestly, the Thai royal situation sounds like a bad soap opera or how European royals acted in fifteenth century but not a modern royal family.
You're right, the family is completely insane.

My Norwegian father is very interested in Asian politics and history, and has followed Thai politics for many years. The Thai royal family is full of scandals and they have great political power. The only person I respect in this family is King Bhumibol.
Old 12-29-2014, 07:42 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:

If this rumour about autism would be true, the youngest son is on the greater risk to have autism - last researches say that this risk grows with parents' age.
Abortion of a female embrion? Gross, Buddhism condemns that!
I wonder why he is estranged from his older sons...
If Prince Dipangkorn is really stripped of his title, he should be allowed to live with his mum (whom his father visibly trated like a reproductive mare)
Old 12-29-2014, 07:52 PM
Courtier

God forbid, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Crown Prince appeared dead (killed in some kind o plot against him). Prince Dipangkorn could become King with Princess Sirindhorn as Regent.
Old 12-29-2014, 08:09 PM
Heir Apparent

Queen Sirikit is respected by Thai people, isn't she?
Old 12-30-2014, 03:43 AM
Commoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biri View Post
Queen Sirikit is respected by Thai people, isn't she?
Yes, She is great respected by Thais. But now she hides herself for public views because her long illness she did not performs any duties since 2011/2012.
Old 12-30-2014, 09:54 AM
Gentry

Time to abolish the Thai monarchy me thinks, the only member of the family that I have respect for is the current King, and judging by the state of his health I doubt King B. will be with us much longer. They act like the Borgia's or the Tudors from the 15th and 16th centuries, time to remove this extremely dysfunctional family from power and invest in an republican government or offer to the Thorne to an foreign Asian Prince. I have great respect for most monarchies though not this one.

His Grace, The Duke
Old 12-30-2014, 09:59 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeJonathan81 View Post
Time to abolish the Thai monarchy me thinks, the only member of the family that I have respect for is the current King, and judging by the state of his health I doubt King B. will be with us much longer. They act like the Borgia's or the Tudors from the 15th and 16th centuries, time to remove this extremely dysfunctional family from power and invest in an republican government or offer to the Thorne to an foreign Asian Prince. I have great respect for most monarchies though not this one.

His Grace, The Duke
I'm quite sure the situation of Thailand would only worsen without the Monarchy.
Old 12-30-2014, 10:45 AM
Gentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cris M View Post
I'm quite sure the situation of Thailand would only worsen without the Monarchy.

Hmmm, maybe. Though the next King Rama X should be an moderniser and willing to bring his country forward, to an truly modern constitutional monarchy, not the current de facto Absolute Monarchy.

His Grace, The Duke
Old 12-30-2014, 07:11 PM
Aristocracy

It can be argued that King Bhumibol Adulyadej is responsible for the current situation in Thailand. He has never made a stand for constitutional democracy, he ultimately backs military governments, and has indulged his family's whims. There is a theory that the King actively set out to create the circumstances in which the monarchy would appear indispensable. His special projects do little more than reinforce the concept of the loving, paternal ruler, the protector of the poor and the hope of the people. He has supported, encouraged, or even ordered, military coups, but always from behind the scenes. He then, after the fact, appears as a beacon of stability and legitimacy. It is a fine balancing act, but, ultimately, the purpose has always been to reinforce the monarch as the devaraja, the god king of Buddhist and Hindu mythology. It also reinforces a traditional hierarchical society.

I don't know if the situation in Thailand can be so easily explained by this theory. I've always had the impression that the military manipulated the monarchy, not the other way around. But it does raise some interesting questions. Perhaps, it also explains, at least partially, the Crown Prince's sense of entitlement, and close relationship with the military.

I used to respect and admire King Bhumibol Aulhadej, but now I'm not so sure. It would have been a lot wiser to have worked towards constitutional democracy as a legacy for the Crown Prince, rather than the dangerously unstable situation he is likely to inherit before too long.
Old 12-30-2014, 09:24 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
It can be argued that King Bhumibol Adulyadej is responsible for the current situation in Thailand. He has never made a stand for constitutional democracy, he ultimately backs military governments, and has indulged his family's whims. There is a theory that the King actively set out to create the circumstances in which the monarchy would appear indispensable. His special projects do little more than reinforce the concept of the loving, paternal ruler, the protector of the poor and the hope of the people. He has supported, encouraged, or even ordered, military coups, but always from behind the scenes. He then, after the fact, appears as a beacon of stability and legitimacy. It is a fine balancing act, but, ultimately, the purpose has always been to reinforce the monarch as the devaraja, the god king of Buddhist and Hindu mythology. It also reinforces a traditional hierarchical society.

I don't know if the situation in Thailand can be so easily explained by this theory. I've always had the impression that the military manipulated the monarchy, not the other way around. But it does raise some interesting questions. Perhaps, it also explains, at least partially, the Crown Prince's sense of entitlement, and close relationship with the military.

I used to respect and admire King Bhumibol Aulhadej, but now I'm not so sure. It would have been a lot wiser to have worked towards constitutional democracy as a legacy for the Crown Prince, rather than the dangerously unstable situation he is likely to inherit before too long.
I agree with you. I have respect for King Bhumibol, but he has many faults. He is not democratic, and he has said that some countries need to be military dictatorships before they can become democracies. He also criticized Aung San Suu Kyi.

I think King Bhumibol was manipulated by the military at the start of his reign, but he got after a few years major political power in Thailand. It was the King and General Prem Tinsulanonda who ruled the country through almost the entire 1980s and much of the 1990s. He has lost a lot of power in recent years because of his health problems.

According to several historians and experts it was the brutal dictator Field Marshal Sarit Thanarat that created the current monarchy. King Bhumibol was very close to him and was devastated when he died in 1963.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarit_Thanarat

Quote:
Under Sarit, the public role of the Thai monarchy, which had been restricted by Phibun, was allowed to resume. Sarit arranged for King Bhumibol Adulyadej to attend public ceremonies, visit the provinces, patronise development projects and personally present diplomas to Thailand's government university graduates, helping to bring the monarchy closer to the people and raising the stature of the king to that of high reverence. The practice of prostrating with the head touching the ground before royal audiences, banned decades earlier by King Chulalongkorn, was reinstated in some circumstances.