The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 11-28-2016, 07:33 AM
Aristocracy

Cremation Ceremony of King Bhumibol Adulyadej; 26 October 2017

Designs and layouts for the royal crematorium and surrounding areas are unveiled by the government today :

Planned and designed by Fine Arts Department, the royal crematorium is resembled to King Chulalongkorn (Rama V)'s crematorium which was one of the kingdom's largest royal crematorium ever built in modern era. The traditional Thai royal crematorium has always been designed in accordance with Buddhist concept of universe since the ancient time.

Bangkok Post :

Courtesy photos from Post Today :

Old 12-05-2016, 04:32 AM
Aristocracy

Gathering at Bhumibol Bridge this morning to remember the late King Bhumibol and mark occasion of his birthday :

Quote:
The Bhumibol Bridge (Thai: สะพานภูมิพล), also known as the Industrial Ring Road Bridge (Thai: สะพานวงแหวนอุตสาหกรรม) is part of the 13 km long Industrial Ring Road connecting southern Bangkok with Samut Prakan Province. The bridge crosses the Chao Phraya River twice, with two striking cable-stayed spans of lengths of 702 m and 582 m supported by two diamond-shaped pylons 173 m and 164 m high. Where the two spans meet, another road rises to join them at a free-flowing interchange suspended 50 metres above the ground.

The bridge opened for traffic on 20 September 2006, before the official opening date of 5 December 2006. It is part of the Bangkok Industrial Ring Road, a royal scheme initiated by King Bhumibol Adulyadej that aims to solve traffic problems within Bangkok and surrounding areas, especially the industrial area around Khlong Toei Port, Southern Bangkok and Samut Prakan Province.

Source : Wikipedia

Old 02-10-2017, 01:20 AM
Majesty

Late King's funeral preparations ahead of schedule | Bangkok Post: learning
Old 02-11-2017, 11:16 AM
Serene Highness

my goodness. Funeral not before october 2017...! Must be hard for the King´s family not to be able to put an end. I think only after the funeral of a beloved person or family member you´ll be able to slowly come to terms again and go on with your life...
Old 02-11-2017, 11:40 AM
Imperial Majesty

They simply take too long to do things.

A.W. TOZER
Old 02-24-2017, 02:28 AM
Majesty

Royal crematorium construction progresses with rehearsal to install main pillar held today https://goo.gl/3HSyrr
Old 02-27-2017, 05:08 AM
Majesty

Mourners still gather as workers build late Thai king's crematorium, SE Asia News & Top Stories - The Straits Times
Old 03-05-2017, 10:56 AM
Aristocracy

The commitee overseeing the Royal Funeral chaired by HRH Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn on Wednesday released a time schedule for the ceremony which will take place during 25 - 29 December 2017:
Meanwhile, Their Imperial Majesties the Emperor and Empress of Japan are on their personal visit to Thailand, paying respect to HM the late King Bhumibol:
Quote:
From Thai Royal News:
Old 03-11-2017, 03:28 AM
Majesty

Thai artisans craft for king's funeral, AsiaOne Asia News

"Thai artisans work against the scratching, moulding ans shaping the intricate clay sculptures that will adorn the funeral pyre of Thailand's revered former King Bhumibol. The sculptures , of animals, gods and mythical creatures, will decorate the spectacular 50 metre pyre that is set to provide a final stage for Bhumibol"

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30308576
Old 03-31-2017, 04:40 AM
Majesty

"Construction workers assemble one of the pavilions surrounding the late Thai King Bhumibol Adulyadej's funeral pyre in front of the Grand Palace in Bangkok on March 31, 2017. The exact date of the King's funeral is not yet known, with Bhumibol's heir, King Maha Vajiralongkorn, to decide on an auspicious time, expected to be in late 2017. "

Belga Image
Old 04-20-2017, 01:22 AM
Majesty

"THAILAND'S late King Bhumibol Adulyadej will be cremated on October 26, a government official said today, adding that the king's funeral will take place over a five day period."

Thailand King to be cremated a year after death in October | World | News | Express.co.uk

Thai king's cremation set for Oct. 26 - govt official | Daily Mail Online
Old 04-20-2017, 02:37 AM
Majesty

Wow, I get that they have long mourning and several day funerals, but over a year wait still seems a long time. Especially considering the body. Do they have an official crypt, storage, something for his body until then?

I never realized a public funeral pyre. Wow. Didn't think that happrned now a days

I have never been so fascinated to see a funeral before. I have always loved studying cultures and traditions. And this is one I've little exposure to.
Old 04-20-2017, 02:55 AM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
I definitely agree with you Countessmeout and have been very interested in learning about the funeral practices, beliefs and traditions of Thailand.

I really do admire how a much beloved King is truly mourned and they take time to grieve and the ceremonial rituals are done over an expanse of time. Very fitting way to not only honor a King that meant so much to his people but also very much keeping his memory alive and in their thoughts until there is a final cremation over a period of days when they finally let him go.

In a world where everything is instant and everyone is in a hurry, its refreshing to know that somewhere in this world there are people that take their time to say "goodbye" to a beloved monarch.
Old 04-20-2017, 07:10 PM
Aristocracy

Apart from allowing a proper mourning period, the main reason so much time is required to prepare for the cremation is the elaborate funeral pyre and royal crematorium being constructed: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/2...veiled-photos/

It's going to be a spectacular affair no doubt. Millions of people from across the country are expected to attend, and we have been informed that everything in Bangkok will come to a standstill. It's already been announced that government institutions will be closed over the five-day period -- and the private sector is likely to do the same. The company I work for has already informed the management team as such. There will also be a complete ban on the sale of alcoholic products during this time, with nightlife venues closed as well. The cost of the cremation is not known, but I believe it can be as high as 800 million THB.

It is going to be a truly historic event.
Old 04-20-2017, 07:21 PM
Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Thank you so much for all the information. I'm hoping that when the time comes, you'll be able to post links to watch the ceremonies as I seriously doubt that it'll be televised here in the US.

I'm very interested in following it all.
Old 04-20-2017, 07:51 PM
Aristocracy

You're very welcome! There are plenty of digital media outlets in Thailand that will have live coverage, as well as live social media coverage (Facebook, IG, etc) so you will have an opportunity to follow the proceedings no matter where you are.

In my capacity as editor of a regional publication I will also attend some of the ceremonies -- and hopefully have an opportunity to post pics, too.
Old 04-20-2017, 08:18 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
Wow, I get that they have long mourning and several day funerals, but over a year wait still seems a long time. Especially considering the body. Do they have an official crypt, storage, something for his body until then?

I never realized a public funeral pyre. Wow. Didn't think that happrned now a days

I have never been so fascinated to see a funeral before. I have always loved studying cultures and traditions. And this is one I've little exposure to.

Countessmeout, the embalmed remains of HM King Bhumibol is being kept in a special back room of the Dusit Maha Prasit Throne Hall at the Grand Palace. It cannot be viewed by the public -- millions of mourners have been paying their respects in front of a ceremonial royal funeral urn in the throne hall. I have been there myself, twice.

FYI, the cremation part of the upcoming ceremony in October will be very private and cannot be seen. It is all very dignified and respectful.
Old 04-22-2017, 09:42 AM
Aristocracy

Actual cremation ceremony traditionally takes place around 10 p.m. and also be broadcasted live on television. The ceremony is quite simple as there aren't much rituals going on, like this video that shows the cremation ceremony of HRH Princess Mother back in 1996:

For live coverage of the ceremony, you can watch from this link which is broadcasted live by Thai PBS: Click here