June 2005 Newsletter: The Princess Brides

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexandria

Heir Apparent
Country
Canada
June Newsletter: The Princess Brides

I have dubbed the first half of 2005 as "The Year of the Wedding." I have been to no less than four weddings during the first five months of this year, which is almost a wedding a month, though two actually took place in April. And in between all those weddings, bridal showers, bachelorette parties and stag and does. I should be "weddinged out" by now -- but I'm not! So, when the idea for a wedding-related newsletter to celebrate two of the things I love in life -- royalty and weddings -- came up in discussions between Julia and I, I embraced it and ran with it. Thankfully, the other members of the TRF Team agreed with this idea and contributed to it with as much enthusiasm as I had for it.

It is with a great effort on the part of many members of the TRF Team that this letter was put together:

Mandy for her tireless contributions in sharing pictures, information and doing many of the write ups herself.

Anna R for doing the "leg work" of finding the links and supplying information, as well as for making a video to supplement this newsletter.

Elsa M. for providing information in the Spanish and Portuguese brides.

norwegianne for the more than 100 special wedding avatars found in this thread: http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6041.

Of all the weddings I have attended this year, the one that took place last month on May 21 is the one dearest to my heart. It wasn't just that I was part of the bridal party so I had been part of all the planning and events that took place over the course of the 21 months from when the engagement was announced to the big day itself, but it was because the bride is someone very special in my life.

In my immediate circle of friends, there are six girls in our group, five of us who met on our first day of kindergarten and have been steadfast friends ever since. Through more than 21 years of friendship, we have weathered through some very difficult times, but also very many happy times, as well as the everyday, mundane moments that mark any relationship between those polarizing moments. None of us have sisters -- all of our parents graced us with brotherly love -- so we became sisters to each other. As such, this wedding wasn't just the wedding of a cherished friend, but the wedding of a cherished sister.

I don't know of many people who are still friends to this day with their childhood friends, but it has been for me, a most surreal experience to watch someone you used to finger paint with and make sand castles with become someone's wife. So, on a most sunny and glorious day -- thankfully since her bridal shower and bachelorette party had been marred by torrential rain -- my friend became a Mrs.

As we put this newsletter together, I realized that whether it's a royal bride or a celebrity bride, or a "regular" bride like my friend, everyone loves a wedding. I may have grumbled a bit along the way about how much time the wedding was taking out of my evenings and weekends, or about this and that, but in the end it was worth it to see my friend so happy -- and to have a new "brother-in-law." My friend may not have worn a diamond-saturated tiara or worn a centuries-old veil as many of the brides covered in this newsletter did, but the sentiments and well-wishes for a happy bride and groom, a joyous wedding day and a long, healthy marriage are all there, no matter what title you possess, or will get upon your marriage.

Weddings are ultimately less about titles and higher statuses gained, the yards of silk used for the train, too many bows or too much lace, or the size of the tiara, but about two individuals who have found each other somehow in the chaos of this world we live in and who are committed to spending their life together and building a foundation and family together. It is about finding happiness and love and embarking on a journey together.

For those who are engaged, getting married, newlyweds, and those who have been happily married for decades, I hope that this newsletter will bring you fond memories of your special day or your special day to come. And for those of you who would like to be married one day, I hope that this newsletter will inspire you for your own special day.

Alexandria
Royal Forums Administrator

An additional footnote: The tossing of the bouquet and garter is an ancient tradition, based on the belief that the bride's bouquet and garter possesses luck, and that the individuals who caught these items would be the next to be married. Whether or not you catch the bouquet or the garter, shouldn't discourage you. A wedding is a romantic enough of an occasion to inspire all lonely hearts. Just because you don't catch the bouquet doesn't mean that the seeds of love can't be sewn -- I didn't catch a single bouquet in any of the weddings I've attended, yet I left with something wonderful blooming in my life.

You know you are in love when you see the world in her eyes, and her eyes everywhere in the world.

Last edited:
The Duke of York of Great Britain & Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon

The Duke of York of Great Britain & Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon
April 26, 1923, Westminster Abbey, London

The Dress: Created by Mme. Handley Seymour, the design of the dress recalled the simplicity of medieval dress, with deep square neckline and bold embroidery. It had a fashionable drop waist and was made from ivory chiffon moire which had been specially dyed to match the color of the point de Flanders lace veil. The front of the dress was appliqued with a series of bars of silver lame which were arranged over the bodice to form the appearance of a stomacher. The dress had two trains. The one at the back, fastened at the hips and extended 10 inches beyond the hem and spread 80 inches wide. Over this was worn a second train of tulle which floated from the shoulders. The shoes worn by Lady Elizabeth were made of ivory silk moire and had silver roses embroidered on them.

The Veil: Made of antique lace was secured by a simple bandeau of myrtle leaves, with a knot of white roses of York and white heather at each ear. The veil was lent to her by her mother-in-law, Queen Mary.

The Bouquet: Created by Edward Goodyear, included white heather and lillies-of-the-valley, with a white rose (emblem of the county of York) on either side. The bride laid the bouquet on the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier (every royal bride has since done so), in memory of her brother and the men killed in the war.

The Rings: Made from a gold nugget mined in the village of Bontddu, North Wales.

The Attendants: Lady May Cambridge, Lady Mary Thynne, Miss Betty Cator, Lady Katherine Hamilton, and the Hon. Diamond Hardinge. The two 11 year old trainbearers were her nieces, the Hon. Elizabeth Elphinstone and the Hon. Cecilia Bowes Lyon.

Memorable Detail: McVitie & Prince of Edinburgh furnished a nine-foot, 800-pound cake, gold-charm-filled at the couple’s request.

TRF Thread: http://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...read.php?t=4430
--With additional notes courtesy of pdas1201

Attachments

• duke and duchess of york-a.jpg
    duke and duchess of york-a.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 516
  • duke and duchess of york-b.jpg
    duke and duchess of york-b.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 640
Last edited:
Princess Elizabeth of Great Britain & Philip Mountbatten

Princess Elizabeth of Great Britain & Philip Mountbatten
November 20, 1947, Westminster Abbey, London

The Dress: A full length gown made of ivory duchesse satin by Norman Hartnell, it had a 15-foot train, which was attached at the shoulders. The dress was embroidered at the neckline, as well as along the sleeve edges, the front bodice and throughout the skirt and train with garlands of orange blossoms, syringas, jasmin, the white rose of York and shafts of wheat. Ten thousand (10,000!) seed pearls were used for the embroidery. (Norman Hartnell also designed the bride's going away outfit.)

The Diademe: The Hanover Fringe tiara, the diamonds of which were originally used in 1830 by court jewellers Rundell, Bridge & Rundell to form a necklace from the diamonds. It was later mounted on a frame for Queen Victoria so that it could be worn as a tiara.

The Veil: The veil contained more than 100 miles of gassamer silk thread.

The Gifts: Ranged from a Thoroughbred filly (courtesy of the Aga Khan) to a woven-cotton tray cloth made by Mahatma Gandhi.

The Cake: The nine-foot, 500-pound, four-tier confection took three people five weeks to decorate and was trimmed with sugar plaques depicting the royal residences­—and the future Prince Philip’s hobbies.

The Attendants: Princess Margaret Rose, sister of the bride; Margaret Elphinstone; Diana Bowes-Lyon; Lady Caroline Montague Douglas-Scott; Lady Elzabeth Lambert; the Marquis of Milford-Haven; Lady Mary Cambridge; Lady Pamela Mountbatten.

Memorable Detail: Allegedly, the fragile frame of the diadame broke right before the wedding ceremony, but was repaired just in time.

TRF Thread: http://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...p?t=3577&page=1

--With files from Mandy

Attachments

• elizabeth-d.jpg
    elizabeth-d.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 388
  • elizabeth-b.jpg
    elizabeth-b.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 474
  • elizabeth-c.jpg
    elizabeth-c.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 463
  • elizabeth-a.jpg
    elizabeth-a.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 479
  • elizabeth-f.jpg
    elizabeth-f.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 577
  • elizabeth-going away outfit.jpg
    elizabeth-going away outfit.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 391
Last edited by a moderator:
Princess Anne of Great Britain & Mark Phillips/& Tim Laurence

Princess Anne of Great Britain & Captain Mark Phillips
November 14, 1973, Westminster Abbey, London

The Dress: British designer Maureen Baker made the white silk princess-style gown with pearl-edged Elizabethan sleeves.

The Reception: The 120 guests feasted on a wedding breakfast of scrabled eggs, partridge, fresh peas and peppermint ice cream.

The Honeymoon: The day after the wedding, the couple flew to Barbados to board the royal yacht Britannia, which Queen Elizabeth II had placed at their disposal.

Memorable Detail: The bride’s headpiece was the same diamond tiara the Queen, her mother, had worn at her wedding.

Princess Anne of Great Britain & Commodore Timothy Laurence
December 12, 1992, Crathie Church, Scotland

Attachments

• anne-c.jpg
    anne-c.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 546
  • anne-b.jpg
    anne-b.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 414
  • anne-a.jpg
    anne-a.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 640
  • anne-e.jpg
    anne-e.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 607
  • anne-d.jpg
    anne-d.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 452
  • anne-f.jpg
    anne-f.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 1,511
Last edited:
Prince Charles of Great Britain and Lady Diana Spencer

Prince Charles of Great Britain and Lady Diana Spencer

July 29, 1981, St. Paul’s Cathedral, London

The Dress: Designed by David and Elizabeth Emanuel, it was made of silk from Britain’s only silk farm, in Dorset, and decorated with lace that had belonged to the groom’s great-grandmother. Other features: a tight bodice, huge puffed sleeves, a 25-foot cathedral train, and—tucked in the petticoats—a small 18 karat-gold horseshoe for luck.

The Flowers: The bride walked down the aisle to Jermiah Clarke’s The Prince of Denmark’s March, chosen by Charles, while carrying a bouquet that included white freesia, myrtle and veronica grown from the same stock that went into Queen Victoria’s bouquet.

The Cakes: Sixteen in all. The Royal Navy made the official marzipan-covered fruit cake, which weighed 255 pounds and stood five feet tall.

Memorable Detail: More than half a million people jammed into London’s Hyde Park to watch pre-wedding fireworks set to Handel’s Music for the Royal Fireworks, while an estimated 500 million worldwide watched a live telecast of the wedding itself.

TRF Thread: http://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...read.php?t=4327

Attachments

• diana-c.jpg
    diana-c.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 438
  • diana-e.jpg
    diana-e.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 446
  • diana-g.jpg
    diana-g.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 391
  • diana-l.jpg
    diana-l.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 466
  • diana-f.jpg
    diana-f.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 409
  • diana-h.jpg
    diana-h.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 383
Prince Charles of Great Britain & Camilla Parker-Bowles

Prince Charles of Great Britain & Camilla Parker-Bowles
April 9, 2005, Windsor Guidhall and St. George’s Chapel, London

The Dress: For the civil ceremony at Windsor Guidhall, an oyster silk basket-weave coat with herringbone stitch embroidery and a chiffon dress with appliqué woven lacquered disc detail—the discs were made in Switzerland—by British designers Robinson Valentine. The outfit was paired with a natural straw hat overlaid with ivory French lace and trimmed with a graphic fountain of feathers designed by Philip Treacy. For the church blessing, Robinson Valentine designed a dress coat inspired by a brooch given to the bride by her late mother. The porcelain blue silk coat dress was embroidered with gold thread, cinched at the waist with a matching dress underneath, and paired with a feather head dress by Philip Treacy.

The Rings: Court-style rings made of Welsh gold from the Clogau St. David’s mine in the Kings Forest in North Wales.

The Flowers: In the Guidhall, flowers were cut from the gardens at Highgrove and Raymill House (the groom and bride’s personal residences respectively). Lilies of the Valley—the bride’s favourite—were also used to decorate the Guidhall.

The Guests: Only family attended the civil service at Windsor Guildhall, where the groom’s eldest son, Prince William, and the bride’s son Tom Parker Bowles, handed their parents their wedding rings and signed the registry as witnesses. Nearly 800 guests attended the blessing at St. George’s Chapel, including the bride’s ex-husband Andrew Parker Bowles with his wife (Suzanne???), politicians from Great Britain and the Commonwealth (Prime Minister Tony Blaire and his wife Cherie, Adrienne Clarkson and her husband John Ralston Saul) foreign royals (King Constantine and Queen Anne Marie of Greece, Crown Prince Haakon and Crown Princess Mette-Marit of Norway, Prince Constantijn and Princess Laurentien of the Netherlands), and British celebrities (Rowan Atkinson, Joanna Lumley, Kenneth Branagh, Stephen Fry, David Frost, and Sting and his wife Trudi Styler).

TRF Thread: http://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...read.php?t=5607

Attachments

• camilla-h.jpg
    camilla-h.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 393
  • camilla-a.jpg
    camilla-a.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 397
  • camilla-i.jpg
    camilla-i.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 337
  • camilla-b.jpg
    camilla-b.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 372
  • camilla-c.jpg
    camilla-c.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 350
  • camilla-d.jpg
    camilla-d.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 432
  • camilla-g.jpg
    camilla-g.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 408
Last edited:
Prince Andrew of Great Britain & Sarah Ferguson

Prince Andrew of Great Britain & Sarah Ferguson
July 23, 1986, Westminster Abbey, London

The Dress: Embroidered ivory silk grown, with 17 ½-foot train, was by London designer Lindka Cierach.

The Guests: 1,800, including U.S. First Lady Nancy Reagan, Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher, Michael Caine, Elton John and Estee Lauder.

The Photographer: Instead of an officially sanctioned one, Srah and Andrew, an avid amateur shutterbug, tapped rising Scots ssuperstar Albert Watson, who built a world-renowned reputation shooting the likes of Uma Thurman, Drew Barrymore and Jack Nicholson.

The Pages: The page boys attending Sarah, including the groom’s 4-year-old nephew Prince William, wore straw boaters and outfits modeled on 1782 navy midshipmen’s uniforms.

Memorable Detail: The couple left Buckingham Palace in a carriage decorated with a paper-mache satellite dish bearing the message PHONE HOME, courtesy of the groom’s brother Prince Edward.

TRF Thread: http://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...read.php?t=4335

Attachments

• fergie-f.jpg
    fergie-f.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 500
  • fergie-c.jpg
    fergie-c.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 402
  • fergie-k.jpg
    fergie-k.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 411
  • fergie-d.jpg
    fergie-d.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 642
  • fergie-i.jpg
    fergie-i.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 413
  • fergie-h.jpg
    fergie-h.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 566
  • fergie-b.jpg
    fergie-b.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 532
Last edited:
Prince Edward of Great Britain & Sophie Rhys-Jones

Prince Edward of Great Britain & Sophie Rhys-Jones
June 19, 1999, Windsor Castle, London

The Dress: Designer Samantha Shaw, herself a new bride, designed a simple ivory organza silk coat dress. The long, fitted panels contained 325,000 pearls and crystals sewn along the edges of the back and front of the dress.

The Jewellery: A diamond tiara from Queen Elizabeth II’s private collection held the cathedral-length veil in place. A black and white pearl cross necklace and matching earrings were designed by Prince Edward as a wedding day gift to his bride.

The Guests: About 550 people attended the nuptials of Queen Elizabeth II’s youngest son. The royal guests included the Sultan of Brunei with two of his wives, Queen Anne Marie of Greece with her son Prince Nikolaos, Crown Prince Haakon of Norway, Prince Felipe of Spain and Prince Georg of Hannover.

The Music: The Edinburgh Choir, of which the groom is a patron of, performed at the service during which the bride and groom could be singing along to each hymn.

Memorable Detail: The original network airing the wedding dubbed Six Pence None the Richer’s “Kiss Me” at the end of the wedding, making it seem as if Edward and Sophie had pre-chosen the song themselves. The song became their unofficial wedding song.

TRF Thread: http://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...p?t=4336&page=1

Attachments

• sophie-g.jpg
    sophie-g.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 554
  • sophie-d.jpg
    sophie-d.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 530
  • sophie-e.jpg
    sophie-e.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 441
  • sophie-h.jpg
    sophie-h.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 1,531
Last edited:
Princess Margaret of Great Britain & Antony Armstrong-Jones

Princess Margaret of Great Britain & Antony Armstrong-Jones
May 6, 1960, Westminster Abbey, London

The Dress: Norman Hartnell made the simple gown, with fanlike skirt, from yards of white silk organza with organza rouleau piping. Breaking tradition, Margaret bought her own diamond tiara.

The Guests: Included Winston Churchill, Leslie Caron, and the groom’s dad’s three wives (two ex-) and cleaning lady.

Memorable Details: The Nielsen rating: 17, twice that of the competition, Rawhide. Count Basie’s gift: a melody he composed for the wedding.

TRF Thread: http://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...read.php?t=4340

Attachments

• margaret-c.JPG
    margaret-c.JPG
    25.9 KB · Views: 539
  • margaret-a.jpg
    margaret-a.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 1,446
  • margaret-e.jpg
    margaret-e.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 486
  • margaret-b.jpg
    margaret-b.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 1,881
Last edited:
David and Serena Linley

David Armstong-Jones, Viscount Linley and the Honorable Serena Stanhope
October 8, 1993, St. Margaret's Church, Westminster, London

The Dress: Serena’s dress consisted of a coat and a skirt. The silk coat had long pointed sleeves with several fabric buttons at the wrists, low V-shaped front and a high collar. The jacket buttoned from the V-front to the waist then flared open towards the back where it was gathered into a huge bow. The full skirt made of layers of tulle extended into a short train.

The Diademe: Serena wore the Papyrus Motive Tiara. This tiara was bought by Queen Mary from Garrard's. She later gave it to Princess Elizabeth (later Queen Mother), Duchess of York. She in turn gave it to her daughter Princess Margaret. Serena borrowed the tiara for her wedding day.

The Veil: The veil was made of tulle and was a long as the train.

The Bouquet: Lilies of the valley and Queen Anne's lace.

Memorable Detail: The bride's dress was inspired by her mother-in-law Princess Margaret's 1960 wedding gown.

TRF Thread: http://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...hread.php?t=759

Attachments

• serena-a.jpg
    serena-a.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 546
  • serena-b.jpg
    serena-b.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 462
Last edited:
Lady Sarah Armstrong-Jones & Daniel Chatto
July 14 1994, St. Stephen's Church, London, England

The Dress: Lady Sarah wore a white silk dress with long sleeves, low square neckline, crushed bodice, full skirt and a 3 meter (approx) long train.

The Diademe: Lady Sarah wears the Snowdon Floral Tiara which is a diamond floral tiara that can be broken up and used as brooches. Lord Snowdon gave this tiara to Prinrcess Margaret, Sarah's mother as a wedding gift in 1960.

The Bouquet: Yellow roses.

The Attendants: Lady Frances Armstrong-Jones, Zara Phillips and Tara Noble.

TRF Thread: http://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...read.php?t=5354

Attachments

• sarah-c.jpg
    sarah-c.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 519
  • sarah-d.jpg
    sarah-d.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 484
  • sarah-b.jpg
    sarah-b.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 444
  • sarah-h.jpg
    sarah-h.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 555
  • sarah-july 14 1994.jpg
    sarah-july 14 1994.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 375
  • sarah-f.jpg
    sarah-f.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 409
  • sarah-k.jpg
    sarah-k.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 653
Last edited:
Lady Helen Windsor & Tim Taylor

Lady Helen Windsor & Tim Taylor
July 18, 1992, St. George's Chapel, London

The Dress: French-born, British-based designer Catherine Walker designed the Duke and Duchess of Kent's only daughter's wedding gown. The off-the-shoulder, off-white silk dress had short sleeves with a heavy V-neckline, which was bordered with embroidery. The full-length, bell-shaped skirt was pleated with a three-metre long train attached at the wasit.

The Diademe: The bride wore a tiara which originally belonged to her mother, the Duchess of Kent's (nee Katherine Worsley) family, the Worsley Fringe tiara, which is made of a bandeau base and topped with pearl-tipped fringes.

The Bouquet: A heavy bouquet of white and peach roses, violets, lillies of the valleys, as well as other cuts in soft pink and lavendar.

TRF Thread: http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5302&highlight=helen+taylor

Attachments

• helen-m.jpg
    helen-m.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 495
  • helen-i.jpg
    helen-i.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 502
  • helen-f.jpg
    helen-f.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 491
  • helen-d.jpg
    helen-d.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 465
  • helen-c.jpg
    helen-c.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 520
  • helen-j.jpg
    helen-j.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 379
Last edited:
Lady Davina Windsor & Gary Lewis
July 31, 2004, Kensington Palace, London

The Dress: A cream satin bustier dress adorned with buttons down her back, with a lace overlay blouse.

The Bouquet: A bright blue bouquet tied with green ribbons along the stem. The bride wore the same flowers in her hair and the groom wore the flowers as a butionniere.

The Guests: Only the bride’s parents, the Duke and Duchess of Gloucester, her sister, Lady Rose Windsor (who was also a bridesmaid), her brother, the Earl of Ulster (???) and his wife TK TK TK TK TK, the groom’s 12-year-old son Ari from a previous relationship, the groom’s parents Larry Lewis and Viki Carr, and the best man Nick Harvey were the only ones present at the religious service. One hundred and twenty guests were invited to the reception following the service at the palace.

Memorable Detail: The bride’s 101-year-old grandmother, Princess Alice, was too frail to attend, so the newly married couple paid a private visit to her following the ceremony and preceding the rececption.

Attachments

• davina-a.jpg
    davina-a.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 510
  • davina-b.jpg
    davina-b.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 494
Last edited:
Crown Prince Harald & Sonja Haraldsen

Crown Prince Harald & Sonja Haraldsen
August 29, 1968, Oslo Cathedral, Norway

The Dress:The bride's gown was designed by Sigrid Vedeler from the Oslo fashion house of Mongstad. Made of silk, the dress had a high collar, fitted bodice, long sleeves and bell-shaped skirt. The dress featured discrete pearl embroidery. The train was attached at the shoulders.

The Diademe: The bride chose to wear white flowers in her hair instead of a diademe. The only jewellery worn was a pair of pearl stud earrrings.

The Veil: A long, layered veil.

Memorable Detail: The bride was escorted down the aisle by her father-in-law King Olav.

TRF Thread: http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5949

Attachments

• sonja-e.jpg
    sonja-e.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 419
  • sonja-c.jpg
    sonja-c.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 465
  • sonja-b.JPG
    sonja-b.JPG
    48.1 KB · Views: 1,273
  • sonja-.jpg
    sonja-.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 1,440
  • sonja-d.jpg
    sonja-d.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 459
  • sonja-a.jpg
    sonja-a.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 1,236
Last edited:
Crown Prince Haakon of Norway & Mette-Marit Tjessem-Høiby

Crown Prince Haakon of Norway & Mette-Marit Tjessem-Høiby
August 25, 2001, Oslo Cathedral, Norway

The Dress: The bride and designer Ove Harder Finseth collaborated on the gown, which was inspired by Queen Maud’s daily attire. One hundred and twenty-five metres of silk tulle draped the gown, which had a flared skirt with a two-metre-long train that was edged in decorated tulle that resembled waves in the sand.

The Bouquet: The bride’s unique bouquet was created in collaboration with an Oslo florist. Carried on her wrist and worn as a muff, flowers in soft tones of pink and mauve were fixed into a wire mesh, including Wanda orchids, hydrangeas, and roses.

The Gift: The bride’s tiara was a gift from her new in-laws, King Harald V and Queen Sonja. Made in 1910, the diamonds in the tiara form 23 floral rosettes set in platinum and yellow gold.

The Sermon: Given by Bishop Gunnar Stålsett, the sermon touched on the challenges the couple endured. “"So faith, hope, love abide, these three; but the greatest of these is love." (1 Cor 13,13). Today these beautiful words from the Bible are yours. Rarely have they rung out so strongly! They point the way for the life you will live together - a life borne up by faith, hope and love. The path you have chosen has not been without thorns. But love has prevailed. Today it is being confirmed for all the world to see: love is the greatest of all, greather even than faith or hope. You have given courage to many who long for a love that 'bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all thing,' as the Apostle Paul says. You believe in each other as you embark on the future with confidence. You are showing us the creative power of love.”

Memorable Detail: The bride’s 4-year-old son from a previous relationship, Marius Høiby, was a page boy attired in white tie and tails.

TRF Thread: http://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...php?t=16&page=1

Attachments

• mette-marit-b.jpg
    mette-marit-b.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 1,432
  • mette-marit-n.jpg
    mette-marit-n.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 2,810
  • mette-marit-j.jpg
    mette-marit-j.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 1,156
  • mette-marit-l.jpg
    mette-marit-l.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 606
  • mette-marit-m.jpg
    mette-marit-m.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 420
  • mette-marit-p.jpg
    mette-marit-p.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 559
  • mette-marit-c.jpg
    mette-marit-c.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 1,345
Princess Märtha Louise of Norway to Ari Behn

Princess Märtha Louise of Norway to Ari Behn
May 24, 2002, Nidaros Cathedral, Trondheim

The Dress: Wenche Lyche designed the two-piece ensemble inspired by the shape of the Märtha lily and the gothic arches of Nidaros Cathedral. The ensemble consisted of an off-white duchesse satin jacket cut like a tailcoat embroidered with Swarovski crystals with gothic sleeve inserts, inspired by the bride’s mother, Queen Sonja’s wedding dress sleeves. The train was embroidered with a vine that symbolized the thread of life, as well as five lilies—the sacred number for a wedding. The jacket was pinned together with a cultured pearl, 18-carat pin in the shape of the letter ‘A.’ The sleeveless dress was made of silk crepe with a V-shape cut in the front and the back.

The Flowers: The bride’s bouquet was composed of white and cream-coloured lilies of the valley, Märtha lilies, and orchids formed in a heart shape with a waterfall of lilies of the valley. Precious stones which adorned the wedding coat were scattered in the bouquet. The young flower girls and page carried small arrangements that formed the letter ‘A,’ ‘M’ and a heart.

The Rings: Handmade white gold with precious stones, each hand engraved.

Memorable Detail: The couple received heavy criticism from designers for the bold choice of colours chosen for their wedding: turquoise and fuschia pink, which adorned flags and banners in Trondheim. The bride defended their choice of colours, declaring that they reflected the couple’s “somewhat explosive personalities.”

TRF Thread: http://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...hp?t=163&page=1

Attachments

• martha louise-c.jpg
    martha louise-c.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 545
  • martha louise-h.jpg
    martha louise-h.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 1,387
  • martha louise-a.jpg
    martha louise-a.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 1,355
  • martha louise-p.jpg
    martha louise-p.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 1,357
  • martha louise-e.jpg
    martha louise-e.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 466
  • martha louise-f.jpg
    martha louise-f.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 1,426
  • martha louise-r.jpg
    martha louise-r.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 1,257
  • martha louise-ggg.jpg
    martha louise-ggg.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 1,259
  • martha louise-g.jpg
    martha louise-g.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 1,176
Princess Ragnhild Alexandra of Norway & Erling Sven Lorentzen
May 15, 1953, Asker Church, Asker, Norway

The dress:
The ring:
The Diademe:
The Veil:
The Bouquet:
The Attendants:
Memorable Detail: The 4 tiered wedding cake was a gift from Normandsforbundet (The Norwegian Society) in New York, and had been flown to Norway by airplane from the USA.

Princess Astrid Maud Ingeborg of Norway & Johan Martin Ferner
January 12, 1961, Asker Church, Asker, Norway

The dress:
The ring:
The Diademe:
The Veil:
The Bouquet:
The Attendants:
Memorable Detail: As Mr. Ferner had been married previously, and was divorced, it was difficult to find someone who was willing to officiate at the ceremony. The Bishop of Oslo, who officiated at Astrid's older sister's wedding, was opposed to wed divorced people. They found the solution in the bishop of Nidaros.

King Carl XVI Gustaf of Sweden & Silvia Renate Sommerlath

King Carl XVI Gustaf of Sweden & Silvia Renate Sommerlath
June 19, 1976, The Cathedral of Stockholm, Stockholm

The Dress: Marc Bohan of Dior designed a white silk duchesse satin gown. The Queen chose the dress herself, after a secret trip to Paris. The dress was purposely simple, as per the future Queen's wishes.

The Diadme: Emperess Josephine's Cameo tiara, one of the most lavish and most important pieces in the Swedish royal family's jewel collection. It is made of five cameos and pearls set in red gold with a honeysuckle motif. The tiara has previously been worn by Queen Ingrid of Denmark, who was born a princess of Sweden, the King's mother Princess Sybilla, and all of his sisters on their wedding days.

The Bouquet: Orchids, lilies of the valley, stephanotis and jasmine, all in white.

The Menu: A luncheon was held in the White Sea at the Royal Palace in Stockholm. The 300 hundred guests (1,200 attended the church service) feasted on cold consommé with Iranian Caviar, salmon mousse Queen Silvia, cold Scottish forest pigeon with goose foie gras, heart leaf salad, wild strawberries from Malaga with vanilla ice cream and whipped cream. The wedding cake was a Croquembouche. The Royal Head Chef, Werner Vögeli, who had planned the menu for the day, wrote a note with the recipe of Salmon Mousse Queen Silvia which he placed under her place setting at the luncheon, a special memento of her wedding day that he wanted her to have.

Memorable Detail: Silvia Sommerlath became Queen of Sweden at 12:21 a.m. on June 19. The commentator for Swedish Television said “It is 12:21 in the day – and Sweden has a new Queen." The last queen before Silvia was Queen Louise, who had died in 1965. The previous first lady of the country was been Princess Christina, one of the king's sisters, as the king's mother, Princess Sibylla (who never became Queen) died in 1972. So it was a historical comment by that commentator on television, Sweden finally had a Queen after waiting since 1965, and only having had Princesses fill the role as first ladies.

TRF Thread: http://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...php?t=50&page=1
--Information courtesy of GrandDuchess

Attachments

• silvia-f.jpg
    silvia-f.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 452
  • silvia-c.jpg
    silvia-c.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 496
  • silvia-b.jpg
    silvia-b.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 1,324
  • silvia-a.jpg
    silvia-a.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 489
Princess Birgitta and Princess Désirée of Sweden

Princess Birgitta of Sweden & Prince Johan of Hohenzollern
Civil ceremony May 26, 1961, Royal Palace of Stockholm
Religious ceremony May 30, 1961, Sankt Johann Church, Sigmaringen Palace

The Dress: Märthaskolan designed the gown for both the civil and religious ceremonies, which was an invory white silk duchesse gown with a tulle veil.

The Diademe: Emperess Josephine's Cameo tiara was worn at the civil ceremony, while a diamond Hohenzollern crown was worn to the relgiious ceremony.

Honeymoon: The French Riviera and Prince Bertil’s villa in Sainte Maxime.

Memorable Detail: Panic broke loose when it was realized that Princess Birgitta's petticoat had been forgotten back in Stockholm as she was preparing for the ceremony in Frankfurth. Luckily the petticoat was messengered to the princess in the nick of time.

--------------------
Princess Désirée of Sweden & Nils-August Silfverschiöld
June 5, 1964, Cathedral of Stockholm, Stockholm

The Dress: Princess Désirée re-wore her sister Princess Birgitta's Märthaskolan gown, though it was re-worked.

The Diademe: Emperess Josephine's Cameo tiara.

The Bouquet: Orchids and lilies of the valley from the groom's family's castle.

The Honeymoon: Nice, France, some time in Malaga in Spain, and then the rest of the time at Prince Bertil’s villa in Sainte Maxime.

--Information and pictures courtesy of GrandDuchess

Attachments

• Birgitta1.jpg
    Birgitta1.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 1,732
  • Birgitta3.jpg
    Birgitta3.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 1,342
  • Birgitta4.jpg
    Birgitta4.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 1,280
  • Birgitta2.jpg
    Birgitta2.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 518
  • Désirée1.jpg
    Désirée1.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 1,650
  • Désirée2.jpg
    Désirée2.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 1,301
  • Désirée3.jpg
    Désirée3.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 1,414
Princess Margaretha and Princess Christina of Sweden

Princess Margaretha of Sweden & John Ambler
June 30, 1964, Gärdslösa Church on Öland

The Dress: A white faille gown paired with a veil made of Brussels lace.

The Bouquet: Cornflower, ox-eye daisies and poppies.

Guests: Only 146 in all. The bride wanted a close, family wedding. The reception was held at Solliden and a buffet in the English park.

Honeymoon: The couple departed in a helicopter to Sardinia, where they were the guests of the Aga Khan.

Memorable Detail: The couple drove to the church in an open Pontiac.

--------------------
Princess Christina of Sweden & Tord Magnusson
June 15, 1974, Cathedral of Stockholm, Stockholm

The Dress: A gown made of whole silk crêpe and Queen Sophia's veil.

The Diademe: The Connaught diamond tiara, made of five looping swags of forget-me-not flowers and leaves. Each swag contains a dangling pendant. The tiara was originally a gift to Princess Margaret, daughter of the Duke of Connaught and his wife Princess Margrete Luise, when she married Crown Prince Gustav Adolf of Sweden in 1905.

The Bouquet: Pink roses and freesia.

Memorable Details: Princess Christina proposed to her groom. The couple arrived to their wedding reception, held at the Royal Palace of Stockhom, via a steamboat.

--Information and pictures courtesy of GrandDuchess

Attachments

• Margaretha & King Gustaf VI Adolf.jpg
    Margaretha & King Gustaf VI Adolf.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 636
  • Margaretha1.jpg
    Margaretha1.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 1,116
  • Christina2.jpg
    Christina2.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 453
  • Christina1.jpg
    Christina1.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 522
Prince Bertil of Sweden & Lilian Davies
December 7, 1976, Palace Church of Drottningholm Palace, Sweden

The Dress: A silvery-blue satin full-length structured coat dress with bell sleeves. A matching hat completed the outfit.

The Bouquet: Lilies of the valley in an overflowing bouquet.

Memorable Detail: The long-awaited marriage of Prince Bertil and his World War II sweetheart Lilian Davies was put off originally due to political reasons and strict rules related to the monarchy. When the monarchy was deemed secure with King Carl Gustaf XVI married and Queen Silvia pregnant, Prince Bertil's nephew approved of Prince Bertil's marriage to the Welsh-born bride.

Attachments

• lillian-c.jpg
    lillian-c.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 2,168
  • lillian-e.jpg
    lillian-e.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 1,642
  • lillian-a.jpg
    lillian-a.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 623
  • lillian-b.jpg
    lillian-b.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 1,929
  • lillian-d.jpg
    lillian-d.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 1,841
  • lillian-f.jpg
    lillian-f.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 1,926
Last edited:
Crown Prince Frederik of Denmark & Princess Ingrid of Sweden
May 24, 1935, Storkyrkan, Stockholm

The Dress: A floor-length, unstructured satin gown that fell in gentle layers with a high round neckline.

The Veil: An Irish lace veil that was originally a gift to Crown Princess Margaret of Sweden in 1905 that was passed down to her daughter, Princess Ingrid. The veil would later be worn by all the Danish-descended brides of the royal family, including Queen Margrethe II, Princess Benedikte, Queen Anne Marie, Princesses Alexandra zu Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg , Alexia and Crown Princess Mary.

The Bouquet: A long-stemmed bouquet of assorted flowers cradled in the bride's arms, tied with thick, long flowing ribbons.

Memorable Detail: Two days after their Stockholm wedding, the bride and groom travelled to the Danish capital of Copenhagen via the royal yacht, the Dannebrog. Her new father-in-law, King Christian X, was the first person to greet the new bride upon her arrival in Denmark as thousands of Danes lined the streets all the way to Amalienborg Palace to gree the future King and Queen of Denmark.

Attachments

• ingrid-a.jpg
    ingrid-a.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 483
  • ingrid-1935-06-03.jpg
    ingrid-1935-06-03.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 484
  • ingrid-c.jpg
    ingrid-c.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 1,611
Last edited:
Princess Margrethe of Denmark & Henri de Laborde de Montpezat

Princess Margrethe of Denmark & Henri de Laborde de Montpezat
June 10, 1967, Holmens Kirke, Copenhagen

The Dress: Designed by Jørgen Bender, the Danish Princess’ full-length wedding gown was made of silk and lace with wrist-length sleeves, a low square neckline and fitted waist. The front of the dress was made of lace, with the silk meeting at the sides forming two seems. The flared skirt ended in a short train. A six-plus meter-long train made of silk and squared off at the end was attached at the shoulders. The bride also wore a large daisy --the bride's nickname -- brooch, a wedding gift from her mother.

The Diademe: The tiara was a gift trom the Khedive of Egypt to the grandchild of Queen Victoria of Great Britain, Princess Margaret of Connaught, mother of Queen Ingrid. Princess Margaret recieved this gift upon her wedding to Gustaf Adolf, later the King of Sweden. The Khedive bestowed the gift because the couple became engaged in Egypt. Queen Ingrid, the bride's mother, inherited the tiara from her mother and she wore it regularly.

The Veil: An Irish lace veil that has been worn by all of the Danish-descended brides of the royal family since 1905. Originally a gift to Crown Princess Margaret of Sweden, it was eventually passed down to her daughter, Princess Ingrid, upon her 1935 marriage to the future King of Denmark.

The Bouquet: A bouquet of daisies, her namesake.

Memorable Detail: Comte Henri de Laborde de Montpezat took the name of Prince Henrik upon his marriage to Princess Margrethe, making his name more Danish.

TRF Thread: http://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...hp?t=726&page=1

--Information provided by Mandy

Attachments

• margrethe-d.jpg
    margrethe-d.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 554
  • margrethe-c.jpg
    margrethe-c.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 490
  • margrethe-a.jpg
    margrethe-a.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 764
  • margrethe-e.jpg
    margrethe-e.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 954
Prince Joachim of Denmark & Alexandra Manley

Prince Joachim of Denmark & Alexandra Manley
November 18, 1995, Chapel of Frederiksborg Castle in Hillerød, Copenhagen

The Dress: Designed by Jørgen Bender, Alexandra’s full length gown was made of white winter Italian silk. It had full length sleeves, a high waistband and it opened front and back to reveal a silk underskirt. The dress was finished with 8,000 pearls, hand-sewn onto the edgings and cuffs. A four-meter long train completed the dress.

The Diademe: The Diamond Drop Tiara, which was a wedding gift from Queen Margrethe to her new daughter-in-law. The tiara originally belonged to Queen Alexandrine, who received this tiara as an 18th birthday present from her parents. After her death, the tiara went to King Frederik IX and given to the then Princess Margrethe, also as an 18th birthday present.

The Bouquet: The bouquet was made up of jasmine, roses, lillies and bauhenia, Hong Kong's official flower, a homage to the bride's place of birth. It also contained leaves from the lime trees at Schackenborg (the couple's new home), myrtle from Queen Margrethe II and rosemary from Queen Ingrid (Queen Mother).

TRF Thread: http://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...thread.php?t=53

--Information courtesy of Mandy

Attachments

• manley-b.jpg
    manley-b.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 523
  • manley-d.jpg
    manley-d.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 545
  • manley-h.jpg
    manley-h.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 586
  • manley-g.jpg
    manley-g.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 391
  • manley-c.jpg
    manley-c.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 429
  • manley-e.jpg
    manley-e.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 429
Last edited:
Crown Prince Frederik & Mary Donaldson

Crown Prince Frederik & Mary Donaldson
May 14, 2004, Copenhagen Cathedral, Denmark

The Dress: Designed by Uffe Frank, and incorporating lace that was almost 100 years old, which originated from nuns in Connaught, Ireland. Ten long panels of white duchess satin formed the skirt of the dress, with 31 metres of tulle finished with 100 metres of French chantilly lace used to hold the skirt’s form at the back, and cala sleeves folded around the arm.

The Veil: An Irish lace veil that has been worn by all the Danish-descended brides of the royal family since 1905. Originally a gift to Crown Princess Margaret of Sweden, it was eventually passed down to her daughter, Princess Ingrid, upon her 1935 marriage to the future King of Denmark. The veil has been worn by the groom’s mother, Queen Margrethe II, as well as his aunts, Princess Benedikte and Queen Anne-Marie, and his cousins, Princess Alexandra zu Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg and Princess Alexia.

The Bouquet: The bride’s native homeland of Australia was honoured in her bouquet, with Australian eucalyptus woven into the rest of the bouquet, which included, azaleas from Fredensborg Palace, antique roses, gloriosa lilies, and sweet peas.

The Pageboys: The groom’s nephew, 4-year-old Prince Nikolai and the son of his cousin Princess Alexandra, 4-year-old Count Jefferson von Pfeil wore suits with buttons similar to those of the Danish naval uniforms. Silver cufflinks given to the boys by the bridal couple had the couple’s monogram engraved into it.

Memorable Details: The bride carried a handkerchief specially-made for her on this occasion by lace-making teacher Astrid Hansen in a pattern known as “The Great Heart of Denmark.” Work on the handkerchief started on the day of the announcement, October 8, 2004 and six hours a day until Easter Monday 2005, when the handkerchief was completed.

Attachments

• mary-k.jpg
    mary-k.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 573
  • mary-l.jpg
    mary-l.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 611
  • mary-m.jpg
    mary-m.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 623
  • mary-s.jpg
    mary-s.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 464
  • mary-t.jpg
    mary-t.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 1,566
  • mary-p.jpg
    mary-p.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 619
  • mary-jj.jpg
    mary-jj.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 655
  • mary-u.jpg
    mary-u.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 1,526
  • mary-g.jpg
    mary-g.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 455
Princess Benedikte of Denmark & Prince Richard Zu Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg

Princess Benedikte of Denmark & Prince Richard Zu Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg
February 3, 1968, Chapel of Fredensborg Palace, Copenhagen

The Dress: Designed by Jørgen Bender, Princess Benedikte’s gown was made of white silk with wrist length sleeves and high neckline. The A-line dress flared slightly from the waist with two bows at the waist line. A silk train was attached at the shoulders.

The Diademe: The tiara was a gift trom the Khedive of Egypt to the grandchild of Queen Victoria of Great Britain, Princess Margaret of Connaught, mother of Queen Ingrid. Princess Margaret recieved this gift upon her wedding to Gustaf Adolf, later the King of Sweden. The Khedive bestowed the gift because the couple became engaged in Egypt. Queen Ingrid, the bride's mother, inherited the tiara from her mother and she wore it regularly.

The Veil: An Irish lace veil that has been worn by all of the Danish-descended brides of the royal family since 1905. Originally a gift to Crown Princess Margaret of Sweden, it was eventually passed down to her daughter, Princess Ingrid, upon her 1935 marriage to the future King of Denmark.

TRF Thread: http://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...read.php?t=2341

--Information provided by Mandy

Attachments

• benedikte-k.jpg
    benedikte-k.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 734
  • benedikte-a.jpg
    benedikte-a.jpg
    15.1 KB · Views: 476
  • benedikte-h.jpg
    benedikte-h.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 490
  • beneditke-c.jpg
    beneditke-c.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 613
  • benedikte-b.JPG
    benedikte-b.JPG
    46.3 KB · Views: 485
Last edited:
Princess Alexandra of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg & Count Jefferson von Pfeil

Princess Alexandra of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg & Count Jefferson Friedrich Greve von Pfeil
June 6, 1998

The Dress: Silk gown with double-bell skirt and double-bell sleeves. A swirl motif was embroidered on the top, shorter layer of the sleeves and the skirt.

The Diademe: The tiara was a gift trom the Khedive of Egypt to the grandchild of Queen Victoria of Great Britain, Princess Margaret of Connaught, mother of Queen Ingrid. Princess Margaret recieved this gift upon her wedding to Gustaf Adolf, later the King of Sweden. The Khedive bestowed the gift because the couple became engaged in Egypt. Queen Ingrid, the bride's grandmother, inherited the tiara from her mother and she wore it regularly.

The Veil: An Irish lace veil that has been worn by all the Danish-descended brides of the royal family since 1905. Originally a gift to Crown Princess Margaret of Sweden, it was eventually passed down to her daughter, Princess Ingrid, upon her 1935 marriage to the future King of Denmark. The veil has been worn by her mother, Princess Benedikte, as well as her aunts, Queen Margrethe II and Queen Anne-Marie.

The Bouquet: Peach and champagne roses with lilies of the valley.

TRF Thread: http://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...read.php?t=5573

Attachments

• alexandra berelberg-g.jpg
    alexandra berelberg-g.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 523
  • alexandra berelberg-e.jpg
    alexandra berelberg-e.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 1,711
  • alexandra berelberg-p.jpg
    alexandra berelberg-p.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 475
  • alexandra berelberg-m.jpg
    alexandra berelberg-m.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 488
  • alexandra berelberg-k.jpg
    alexandra berelberg-k.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 360
  • alexandra berelberg-r.jpg
    alexandra berelberg-r.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 1,461
  • alexandra berelberg-s.jpg
    alexandra berelberg-s.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 512
  • alexandra berelberg-oo.jpg
    alexandra berelberg-oo.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 401
Last edited:
King Constantine of Greece & Princess Anne Marie of Denmark

King Constantine of Greece & Princess Anne Marie of Denmark
September 18, 1964, Athens

The Dress: Danish designer Holgar Blom created a high-waisted, boat neckline white silk gown for the young bride. Panels of lace hung from the ribboned waist.

The Veil: An Irish lace veil that has been worn by all the Danish-descended brides of the royal family since 1905. Originally a gift to Crown Princess Margaret of Sweden, it was eventually passed down to her daughter, Princess Ingrid, upon her 1935 marriage to the future King of Denmark. The veil has been worn by the bride’s sisters Queen Margrethe II and Princess Benedikte, as well as her daughter Princess Alexia and her niece, Princess Alexandra zu Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg.

The Diademe:This tiara was a gift trom the Khedive of Egypt to the grandchild of Queen Victoria of Great-Britain, princess Margaret of Connaught, mother of Queen Ingrid. Princess Margaret recieved this gift because upon her wedding to Gustaf Adolf, later the King of Sweden. The Khedive gave this jewel because the Couple became engaged in Egypt. Queen Ingrid inherited the tiara from her mother and she wore it regularly. This tiara had been used for the weddings of all her daughters: Princess Anne Marie (1964), Princess Margrethe (1967) and Princess Benedikte (1968). Her granddaughters also wore it, including Princess Alexandra of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg and Princess Alexia.

The Bouquet: A semi-cascading bouquet of lilies of the valley.

TRF Thread: http://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...read.php?t=4560

Attachments

• anne marie-g.jpg
    anne marie-g.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 571
  • anne marie-j.jpg
    anne marie-j.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 584
  • anne marie-h.jpg
    anne marie-h.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 590
  • anne marie-a.jpg
    anne marie-a.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 553
  • anne marie-f.jpg
    anne marie-f.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 629
Last edited:
Princess Alexia of Greece & Carlos Morales

Princess Alexia of Greece & Carlos Morales
July 9, 1999, Greek Orthodox Cathedral of Saint Sophia, London

The Dress: Designed by by Inge Sprawson, Princess Alexia’s gown was made of heavy off-white satin with a V-neckline, long sleeves with embroidered and beaded buttons at the wrists and a train attached at the waist.

The Diademe: The tiara was a gift trom the Khedive of Egypt to the grandchild of Queen Victoria of Great Britain, Princess Margaret of Connaught, mother of Queen Ingrid. Princess Margaret recieved this gift upon her wedding to Gustaf Adolf, later the King of Sweden. The Khedive bestowed the gift because the couple became engaged in Egypt. Queen Ingrid, the bride's grandmother, inherited the tiara from her mother and she wore it regularly. Princess Alexia's mother wore it at her 1964 wedding. Upon Queen Ingrid's passing, it is believed that Queen Anne Marie has inherited the tiara.

The Veil: An Irish lace veil that has been worn by all the Danish-descended brides of the royal family since 1905. Originally a gift to Crown Princess Margaret of Sweden, it was eventually passed down to her daughter, Princess Ingrid, upon her 1935 marriage to the future King of Denmark. The veil has been worn by her mother, Queen Anne-Marie as well as her aunts, Princess (later Queen) Margrethe, Princess Benedikte and her cousin Princess Alexandra Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg in 1998.

The Bouquet: White lilies, lilies of the valley, myrtle taken from a plant started by Queen Ingrid, and olive leaves flown in from Tatoi, Greece, the royal family's former home.

The Attendants: Princess Theodora, Alexia’s sister; Princess Maria-Olympia, daughter of Prince Pavlos & Marie Chantal; Princess Mafalda, daughter of Prince Kyril & Rosario Nadal.

The Decorations: The bride's maternal aunt, Queen Margrethe, designed a monogram of four interwining A's and C's shaped like a bell, which adorned the exterior wall of the cathedral.

Memorable Detail: After the wedding, three tiny wreaths (that were included in the bouquet) were placed, one at each grave site of King Frederik IX of Denmark at Roskilde, of King Paul and Queen Frederika of Greece at Tatoi, and of the groom's maternal grandparents on the Canary Island of Lanzarote.

TRF Thread: http://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...read.php?t=4561

Attachments

• alexia-a.jpg
    alexia-a.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 513
  • alexia-g.jpg
    alexia-g.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 417
  • alexia-e.jpg
    alexia-e.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 337
  • alexia-i.jpg
    alexia-i.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 633
  • alexia-f.jpg
    alexia-f.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 491
Crown Prince Pavlos of Greece & Marie-Chantal Miller

Crown Prince Pavlos of Greece & Marie-Chantal Miller
July 1, 1995, Greek Orthodox Cathedral of Saint Sophia, London

The Dress: Heavy silk with a tulip-shaped bodice, it took 25 dressmakers four months to sew. It was designed for the bride—daughter of American mogul Robert W. Miller—by Valentino, who created 62 outfits for the wedding, including those of the bride’s sisters Pia and Alexandra.

The Bouquet: Champage roses.

The Ceremony: The service was attended by a capacity crowd of 450, with another 800 watching via satellite at Hampton Court Palace.

The Ring: Set with a heart-shaped diamond and a sapphire that had belonged to the groom’s grandfather.

The Attendants: The groom's youngest sister Princess Theodora and youngest brother Prince Phillippos. The dresses of the female attendants were in light blue with short, puff sleeves in an embroidered floral pattern that matched the top overlay of the bride's dress.

The Decorations: The groom's maternal aunt, Queen Margrethe II of Denmark, designed a monogram for the couple, which was realized in roses on the exterior wall of the cathedral.

Memorable Detail: At the conclusion of the ceremony, thousands of rose petals cascaded onto the newlyweds from the ceiling of the church.

TRF Thread: http://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...read.php?t=4559

Attachments

• marie-chantal-c.jpg
    marie-chantal-c.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 560
  • marie-chantal-w.jpg
    marie-chantal-w.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 676
  • marie-chantal-bride.jpg
    marie-chantal-bride.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 1,613
  • marie-chantal-d.jpg