S. 1 0.89%
T. 0 0%
U. 3 2.68%
V. 0 0%
W. 4 3.57%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-18-2007, 06:59 PM
Courtier

Thank you for putting this together. It is a welcome look at the past and it's interesting to see if you can find family resemblances. (Is it me or does anyone else see a little of Rainier in Albert I?) What amazing finds...excellent work.

Old 07-19-2007, 01:16 AM

I want to express my congradulations to all the committees on picking such beautiful, amazing pictures. Even if I wasn't on a committee I could never make a decision here. Each picture here is so special.

Old 07-19-2007, 05:38 AM
Commoner

All are very beautifull!!
Old 07-20-2007, 09:09 AM
Serene Highness

who is who ??? I only can pick out a few . great pictures
Old 07-20-2007, 09:39 AM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm1939 View Post
who is who ???
Check the first posts of this thread, for the captions.
Old 07-20-2007, 01:48 PM
Courtier

What a beatiful picture of Queen Marie of Rumania
Old 07-20-2007, 11:02 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

I thought I would amuse myself by providing small biographies of some of the illustrious figures from the past that you see here. Its good practice for me and maybe someone will enjoy it.

The Luxembourg picture is particularly interesting for it shows the family of Grand Duke William IV of Nassau who was a Protestant prince of a Catholic country until he married the Portuguese princess Marie Anne. Marie Anne shown here standing imposingly in the middle of the photo, believed that a Catholic country needed a Catholic monarch and was allowed to raise her children as Catholics.

William's father Adolphe was a member of the House of Nassau, the family of the Dutch monarchy over which Queen Beatrix is head of today. When Beatrix' grandmother Wilhemina inherited the Dutch throne, Luxembourg was separated from Dutch territories because a woman could not occupy the Luxembourg throne. So her relative Adolphe was chosen as the inheritor of the Luxembourg throne.

William and Marie-Anne had six daughters but no sons, which originally caused a succession crisis that could have repeated the succession crisis that brought his father Adolphe to the throne.

Their daughters were Marie-Adelaide, Charlotte, Hilda, Antoinette, Elizabeth and Sophia.

Antoinette married Rupprecht, Crown Prince of Bavaria
Elizabeth married Prince Ludwig Philipp of Thurn and Taxis
Sophia married Prince Ernst of Saxony

In 1907, William declared his eldest daughter, Marie-Adelaide (young lady seated in center), the heiress to the Luxembourg throne and she became the first woman to occupy the Luxembourg throne in 1912.

Marie-Adelaide was Luxembourg's first sovereign to actually have been born in her own country since 1296. She was intelligent, well-spoken, educated and took an active interest in politics. In WWI Luxembourg was occupied by the Germans and after the war, Marie-Adelaide was accused of being too friendly with the Germans that occupied Luxembourg. Although she didn't do anything unconstitutional, the Parliament sought her abdication and she abdicated in 1919.

Marie-Adelaide was succeeded by her younger sister Charlotte (seated at the far left of the photo) who became the mother of Grand Duke Jean and the grandmother of Grand Duke Henri, the father of the young Princes Guillaume, Felix, Louis, Sebastien and Princess Alexandra.

The grand old lady sitting in the middle with dignity and decorum is Grand Duchess Adelheid-Marie of Anhalt-Dessau, the widow of Adolphe, the first Grand Duke of Luxembourg. She looks at the young successor to the Luxembourg throne, Marie-Adelaide, with an attentive eye while Charlotte at the left shows the self-assurance that would serve her well leading Luxembourg through WWII.

I am struck by the resemblance of all the young women to their mother, Grand Duchess Marie-Anne.
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 07-22-2007, 01:09 PM
Royal Highness

Location: Up the street,hang a left,3rd house from the corner, United States
Thanks for the 'narrative'. Good info. :)
Old 07-22-2007, 06:23 PM
Courtier

How do I get to see the results so far?
Old 07-22-2007, 06:59 PM
Imperial Majesty

You should see the vote numbers on the right of the original post if you've voted.
Old 07-23-2007, 04:18 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
You should see the vote numbers on the right of the original post if you've voted.
Thanks Elspeth, I only have a liitle monitor and couldn't see them all the way over there
Old 07-23-2007, 07:07 AM
Serene Highness

This is a very interesting and heart-warming poll.

Congratulations to the Committees for their wonderful choices and Thank You!

It's hard to choose since every and each one of them entails details that make them favourite, wether is an historical or an emotional detail!

Lovely Poll, indeed!

Regards,
mtbcm
Old 07-24-2007, 12:02 AM
Royal Highness

I've finally casted my vote. What a hard decision; it took me a couple of days.
Old 07-31-2007, 10:37 AM
Aristocracy

wouhhhh

I am still amazed by the quality of the pics tha were chosen! what a great poll!!!!
Thank you!
Old 07-31-2007, 11:35 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

And the winner is...

J. RUSSIA with 23 votes

The Imperial Family

The portrait from 1907 shows the family of last Tsar of Russia, Emperor Nicholas II. This happy portrait of Emperor Nicholas, Empress Alexandra, Grand Duchesses Tatiana, Olga, Maria and Anastasia and Tsarevich Alexei does not alert of the future murder of the whole family ten years later, canonization by the Russian Orthodox Church in 1981 and 2002, and the controversy that surrounds the unfortunate family up to this day, especially connected with claims and hopes, however frail, that either Maria, Anastasia or Alexei might have survived the tragedy.

Date – 1907, source – Russian Archives, Link
"One thing we can do is make the choice to view the world in a healthy way. We can choose to see the world as safe with only moments of danger rather than seeing the world as dangerous with only moments of safety."
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 07-31-2007, 11:37 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

followed by second place...

Q. NETHERLANDS with 21 votes

Queen Wilhelmina with Princess Juliana. Source: Geheugen van Nederland.

-- Deepak Chopra
Old 07-31-2007, 11:39 PM
Heir Apparent
TRF Author

and third place...

B. NORWAY with 13 votes

Caption: Portrait of Queen Maud of Norway and her son Prince Olav (later King Olav) in 1906.
source: Karl Anderson

Thanks everybody for participating in our first Historical Photos poll. I hope you enjoyed it!
-- Deepak Chopra
Old 08-02-2007, 03:39 PM
Royal Highness

I enjoyed the poll even though my choice placed third. Can't wait for the next one.
Old 10-05-2007, 09:36 AM
Royal Highness

The Russian photo is very beautiful indeed. However it looks like 5 daughters not 4 daughters and a son
Old 10-05-2007, 01:55 PM
Super Moderator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger
Picture of the Month Assistant Coordinator

This was a very tuff poll becuase all pictures were beautiful. with such lovel historical pictures its relly difficult to choose just one

Tags
picture of the month, pom