The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-12-2006, 02:34 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexandria
Thank you monica and wlee for trying to explain the meaning of "Toshinomiya" to me. :) I am still a bit confused -- is Toshinomiya Aiko's first name then? Sort of like Catharina-Amalia but she is commonly called Amalia, so Aiko is officially Toshinomiya Aiko but is called Aiko commonly?
No problem! :) I think Toshi no miya is her royal title, it means Princess Toshi. But she is commonly referred to as Princess Aiko, because that was the name given by her parents during her naming ceremony. The royal title Princess Toshi will be dropped if she marries a commoner per current imperial rules (if and when, she will assume Aiko as her first name then affix her husband's surname). She is officially called Toshi no miya Aiko naishinnō denka. "Naishinnō" here refers to an Imperial Princess descended from the current Emperor on the male line - to distinguish her from other imperial princesses not directly descended from the current emperor. Not sure what "denka" means.

The Imperial Family has this tradition of having two names. One is given during the naming ceremony and the other a royal title ( _____ no miya). For example, Aiko's aunt, the former Princess Sayako, had two names: Nori no miya (Princess Nori) is her royal title and the other is Princess Sayako before she turned commoner. Now she is just referred to as Mrs. Sayako Kuroda.

Kindness is the magic elixir of love - The Practice of Kindness
Old 04-12-2006, 02:55 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexandria
Thank you monica and wlee for trying to explain the meaning of "Toshinomiya" to me. :) I am still a bit confused -- is Toshinomiya Aiko's first name then? Sort of like Catharina-Amalia but she is commonly called Amalia, so Aiko is officially Toshinomiya Aiko but is called Aiko commonly?
Well, Toshinomiya is The Parsonal Title for Young Members of the Imperial Family (Been conferred in accordance with the Imperial Family's tradition of appellation):Princess Toshi(Toshi-no-Miya) (from Kunaicho website)

These names are usually given to children of a crown prince and crown princess and sort of act as their last names in comparison with other Japanese people.
For example Prince Akishino receives the Parsonal title Aya no miya and with the name of Fumihito (just like his brother Naruhito) when he was born. When he got married and establish his own family, the Emperor granted him the family branch name of Akishino no miya. Prince Akishino's daughters didn't receive this parsonal title as Aiko did because they already belong to the family branch of Akishino no miya, therefore their full name would be Akishino no miya Mako and Akishino no miya Kako.
At school Toshi no miya would sort of act as her last name with Aiko as her first name. With Japanese tradition last names are placed first before their first name so Princess Aiko would be called Toshinomiya Aiko.

Toshi no miya are more formal honourific names. From previous video of Aiko, staff at the Togu Palace calls Aiko as "miya sama". Sama is also an honourific term and is usually use in headings of letters, formal occasions and when calling Imperial family members as I have always heard of. When Japanese people call out for Aiko, they usually yell out "Aiko sama" or "Masako sama" referring to Princess Masako.

Old 04-12-2006, 02:56 AM
Heir Presumptive

Denka means His/Her Imperial Highness
Heika means His/Her Imperial Majesty
Old 04-12-2006, 02:58 AM
Courtier

Thanks, Mandy, for explaining it further. :) These names are sooo long, they're confusing!
Now I know what "denka" means.

Old 04-12-2006, 03:49 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnik
Maybe I miss it, but who are these ladies behind of Naruhito, Masako and Aiko?
I think those ladies are staff of the Togu Palace
the one behind them who are mostly in the photos are one of the people taking care of Aiko (I think). I have seen her a few times with Aiko and Masako (She sat with them in the same car entering Imperial Palace during new years, took care of Aiko during the skiing trip when Masako and Naruhito went skiing by themselves and were around the family during the vacation holding a video camera in which I guess to take some good video of Aiko)

I think she'll be picking up Aiko to and from Gakushuin Kindergarten
You can see this lady behind them in this photo below
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...4&d=1144731213
Old 04-12-2006, 04:59 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandyy
the one behind them who are mostly in the photos are one of the people taking care of Aiko (I think). I have seen her a few times with Aiko and Masako (She sat with them in the same car entering Imperial Palace during new years, took care of Aiko during the skiing trip when Masako and Naruhito went skiing by themselves and were around the family during the vacation holding a video camera in which I guess to take some good video of Aiko)

Thanks for those wonderful explainations!!
Old 04-12-2006, 05:00 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by monica17
No problem! :) I think Toshi no miya is her royal title, it means Princess Toshi. But she is commonly referred to as Princess Aiko, because that was the name given by her parents during her naming ceremony. The royal title Princess Toshi will be dropped if she marries a commoner per current imperial rules (if and when, she will assume Aiko as her first name then affix her husband's surname). She is officially called Toshi no miya Aiko naishinnō denka. "Naishinnō" here refers to an Imperial Princess descended from the current Emperor on the male line - to distinguish her from other imperial princesses not directly descended from the current emperor. Not sure what "denka" means.

The Imperial Family has this tradition of having two names. One is given during the naming ceremony and the other a royal title ( _____ no miya). For example, Aiko's aunt, the former Princess Sayako, had two names: Nori no miya (Princess Nori) is her royal title and the other is Princess Sayako before she turned commoner. Now she is just referred to as Mrs. Sayako Kuroda.
Wow! Very informative -- I'm glad you took time to explain! Wonderful!!:)
Old 04-12-2006, 05:03 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandyy

Thank you Mandyy:)
Old 04-12-2006, 10:13 PM
Aristocracy

I am so gald to see Princess Aiko with both of her parents on the first day of kindergarten. I never thought I would once again see Princess Masako happy, but as of late I have seen a new and improved princess. I am truly happy for them.
Old 04-15-2006, 11:42 PM
Heir Presumptive

According to the traditions of Gakushuin kindergarten, mothers are responsible for doing some sort of embroidery on their children's book bag. By keeping with the tradition Princess Masako embroidered Aiko's book bag with two dogs (their pets) and trees.
Below is the pic of Aiko's book bag
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...9&d=1144727183

Princess Kiko have also done some embroidery on her children Mako and Kako's book bag when they entered kindergarten.
Old 04-16-2006, 12:49 AM
Heir Presumptive

Princess Aiko attends Gakushuin school fair
Princess Aiko on Sunday attended a concert and took part in children's games at the student festival at Gakushuin................She tried her hand at a "yo-yo" fishing game, in which small water-filled "yo-yo" balloons are plucked from a tank of water. She took home three balloons she fished out.............
http://asia.news.yahoo.com/060416/kyodo/d8h0u0og5.html

Princess Aiko listens to her parents Crown Prince Naruhito and Crown Princess Masako while attending a concert at the Gakushuin school's memorial hall in Tokyo April 16, 2006. The four-year-old Princess Aiko entered the Gakushuin Kindergarten early this month.

#1: Profimedia
#2: NNN news
#3: Yomiuri news

Very cute...she braided 2 braids with her hair:)
She seems to be amazed by the crowd of people welcoming her....
Is Aiko beginning to do her share of official duties.....:) ????
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NWS-953821.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	238334   Click image for larger version

Name:	20060416-00000012-nnn-soci-thumb-001.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	238338   Click image for larger version

Name:	MM20060416202630668L0.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	238594  
Old 04-16-2006, 06:31 AM
Courtier

Thanks again, Mandyy, for the latest news/info. :) I wish I could do embroidery as well as CP Masako - I had no inclination at all for that stuff, although it was forced upon us at school.

Aiko looked very cute indeed at the concert. And she looked so well behaved for a 4-year old!

Old 04-16-2006, 07:33 AM
Royal Highness

aiko this very good-looking one with the two tresses she is beautiful !!!!!!!

Old 04-16-2006, 10:29 AM
Gentry

It is great to see whole family together.
Old 04-16-2006, 11:37 AM
Aristocracy

Aiko is so cute, she's gotten so big.
Old 04-16-2006, 11:47 AM
Serene Highness

Thank you so much for the photos. They look like such a close knit family. I love the photos of Naruhito explaining something to Aiko and she is intently looking at whatever it is he is showing her!
Old 04-16-2006, 06:13 PM
Heir Presumptive

2 more photos from TVBS news

Below #1-2 from Polfoto, #3-4 from Profimedia

Every photo here is different
Old 04-16-2006, 06:24 PM
Heir Apparent

WOW. They've become very medial family on last few weeks.
Old 04-17-2006, 07:35 AM
Heir Presumptive

article from HELLO
...............The Japanese princess, who started Kindergarten earlier this month, seemed transfixed by the efforts of her new schoolmates as around 50 of the youngsters performed traditional songs like Zosan, or Elephant.

Aiko's parents went along to join their little girl for Gakushuin school's annual fair. And the outing no doubt brought back fond memories for dad Naruhito, as he played viola at the yearly event when he was a student there. The future emperor's four-year-old daughter opted for a somewhat less demanding challenge, by trying her hand at a fishing game in which small water-filled balloons were plucked from a large tank of water..................
http://www.hellomagazine.com/royalty.../17/royalkids/
Old 04-17-2006, 04:28 PM
Heir Presumptive

This week's magazine cover features Princess Aiko entering Gakushuin kindergarten
#1: Shukanjosei
#2: Josei 7
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	woman060502_l.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	126.1 KB
ID:	238771  
Attached Images

Closed Thread

Tags
aiko, princess aiko, princess toshi