Princess Aiko News and Current Events Part 3: April 2008 - December 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's great to see these family pictures and know that Princess Aiko will be heading to--I suppose--the Japanese equivalent of junior high school next term. I love CP Masako's suit as well. Beautiful detailing around the collar. I'm just wondering: do most 12-year-old girls wear ankle-socks in Japan? Girls usually seem to wear tights/hose in most places.:flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:
I find it interesting that Japanese children have graduation ceremonies when they finish primary school. In the UK, we usually have some sort of prize giving event for children of Aiko's age, and the children are allowed to bring in an old shirt and get their classmates, friends and teachers to sign it for them. At my primary school, I was given a little book in which those who wanted to could fill their names in it, a dictionary and trophy. (Although we had to return the trophy after a year.)

I don't normally post in the Japanese threads, but I enjoyed looking at the photos of Aiko and her parents. They look to be enjoying themselves.

It is nice to see Crown Princely couple attending Princess Aiko's graduation ceremony.

Her parents are immensly proud of her...she us their apple of their eyes. I am so glad to see the Crown Princess becoming more confident in public. She is the perfect role model for her daughter

Can someone explain something to me?

Where on earth has the time gone!?! I mean, wasn't she this adorable little girl only yesterday? Sigh!! :)

Wow :eek: Princess Aiko seems to have grown a lot recently! Although she continues an lovely girl :flowers:. I hope that she has sucess in this new stage of her life.

I think it's cute that the three of them are dressed in navy blue. The detail on CP Masako's suit is exquisite. Is the "sailor" dress a school uniform?

I think it's cute that the three of them are dressed in navy blue. The detail on CP Masako's suit is exquisite. Is the "sailor" dress a school uniform?

I think it must be as the photos of her graduation from the junior school shows her wearing the sailor dress but with a different coloured tie.

13 already! Princess Aiko celebrated her 13th birthday today, December 1st.

In the afternoon, Aiko visited the Imperial Palace alone for the first time to greet her grandparents. Her birthday pictures were taken at Togu Palace in Tokyo on November 24, 2014.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

She looks so grown-up now, with her black hosiery instead of the white ankle socks.:flowers:

Good heavens, how time flies-she looks so sweet and yet grown-up as well.

13 already! Princess Aiko celebrated her 13th birthday today, December 1st.

In the afternoon, Aiko visited the Imperial Palace alone for the first time to greet her grandparents. Her birthday pictures were taken at Togu Palace in Tokyo on November 24, 2014.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

I loved the pictures.

Aiko is very grown up. :flowers:

Goodness, how the princess has grown up...she's certainly not "little Aiko" anymore!:ohmy: She is beginning to resemble her father.

Very elegant looking dog. I wonder what's the breed?

Princess Aiko looks lovely. I like the usual setting for photos and the way Yuri's obligatory kerchief coordinates with Princess Aiko's pullover.
... [snipped]
Very elegant looking dog. I wonder what's the breed?
It is a rescue dog. It is a mix-bred female named Yuri. I am not sure what breeds are mixed though.

Last edited:
Thanks Al-bina. I know it's too small to be an Akita. But Yuri is beautiful just the same. And I love the CP family for giving a rescue dog a chance.:flowers:

Princess Aiko played the cello during a concert by Gakushuin University's alumni in Tokyo today, April 12:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

Schooling a challenge for Princess Masako and Aiko

"...When Princess Masako joined a kindergarten trip a few years ago, it started raining and she didn’t know what to do. None of the other mothers spoke to her or gave her a hand. It showed the communication between them wasn’t working well at that time....”

If with all their selecting they cannot even make sure that the carefully selected mothers of the carefully selected pupils know as much of good manners as to offer their future empress an umbrella when it starts raining I´d propose they´d give it up altogether! Every commoner – Japanese or foreigner – would have had as much politeness...:cool:

Seriously, it is depressing:sad: to see how an article on such a joyful occasion as this, of a little girl healthily growing up and entering school:graduate:, can be made in nearly every sentence into an attack against her mother. I must say, if I have to choose I´d even prefer to this those “Masako-ruins-Japanese-economy-by-dining-in-expensive-restaurants”-articles as they are, at least, straightforward and without this sickening tone of false pity, and first and foremost, because they leave her daughter out of this. It really seems that they would rejoice if Aiko would turn out to be stupid or mentally ill because that would prove them right in their doom-and-gloom-talking of such a mother as her´s only causing problems.

Was the rain cold? Was it 65°f or lower degrees outside? If the answer was no.. Was it a light sprinkling rain? If yes.. I used to play in rain like that for a little while until I became spotted with rain drops pretty good and I am alright. I used to like thunder and lightning, but went inside. No one offered an umbrella? Of course not, it is someone else's baby and if she was going inside anyway, why draw un-required attention to her not having an umbrella. I hope she didn't get sick.

Personally I have been out with my family, caught without an umbrella and everyone is fine after being in rain like that.

Expensive restaurant? Well, perhaps she has a side job and foots her own bill. Maybe her husband has a personal bit of money he worked for so she can eat out. It's nice she can get to go to a restaurant. You like going out to eat don't you? We do, way over here in the U.S.A, we enjoy it.

Princess Aiko played the cello during a concert by Gakushuin University's alumni in Tokyo today, April 12:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

Really? Wow, time flies by. That's great she likes music. I didn't recognize her.

Last edited by a moderator:
IHA reported Princess Aiko visited Hiroshima on a school trip from May 11 to 14th. Students visited the Peace Memorial Park, Peace Memorial Museum and Cenotaph, and the Children's Peace Monument.

Asahi article

Asahi reported Princess Aiko missed the school athletic meet last week. Her “poor physical condition continued” and Princess Masako took her daughter to the Imperial Palace’s IHA hospital for a medical exam on the evening of October 6th. Looks like she has been absent from school for about a week. At a regular press conference on September 30th, IHA Crown Prince Dayu (steward? spokesperson?) Odano Tentake mentioned fatigue and the court physician recommending rest.

Source: Asahi

I haven’t seen other major media report Aiko’s condition/school absence yet (assuming Sankei, Mainichi, etc. also attend the press conferences). Only Asahi at the moment. Sadly, this is more ammunition for CP family’s detractors. Anyone know if the press conference weekly? Should there be one tomorrow? I hoped announcements of Aiko’s school attendance would eventually stop. Anyway, wishing the princess a speedy recovery.

I've been reading and not sure what happened. Why did Aiko a medical examination? no more news about it?

There was a press conference on Friday and now everyone’s reporting Aiko’s condition/absence. Her symptoms are described as fatigue and a weakened, fluctuating gastrointestinal issue. FNN mentioned “some dizziness” on their Facebook post. There is no fever or “particular problem or anomaly” so court physicians prescribed rest. Princess Aiko has been absent since September 26th and is disappointed she missed the October 1st athletic festival, which she was practicing for. Although Princess Aiko is on the mend and eager to return to school, CP Naruhito and CP Masako are cautious and have kept her home.

Sources: Sankei, Asahi, Yomiuri
Some only have the barest of details, like Nikkei say Aiko missed 2 weeks of school due to fatigue.

This has led to comments about Aiko being like her mother Masako, suffering the “luxury disease / being lazy”, “If no problem, then go to school.” Others are sympathetic or wonder if there’s a new bullying incident.

For me, the situation is that Aiko was unwell last week and is feeling better. Perhaps her parents are being overly cautious by making her stay home for another week.

No one considered her condition/absence news worthy last week but now there’s lots of press since Asahi’s first article yesterday. Maybe it’s time for the CP household to revise their PR policy. Unless Aiko has broken a bone or needs hospitalization, don’t give these health or attendance updates. It simply invites speculation.

No one considered her condition/absence news worthy last week but now there’s lots of press since Asahi’s first article yesterday. Maybe it’s time for the CP household to revise their PR policy. Unless Aiko has broken a bone or needs hospitalization, don’t give these health or attendance updates. It simply invites speculation.

Indeed, especially since Aiko is not in line to the throne. If she was the future empress any health concerns would be somewhat more relevant but the IHA and government have made it quite clear they won't allow that to happen so you have to wonder why this child is not entitled to a basic degree of privacy.

I agree. I think the IHA should have stopped such announcements years ago, especially after Aiko returned to school regularly in 2011. However, even her birthday press release last year included the unnecessary tidbit "Princess Aiko, who has rarely been absent from school..."

As for the current poor condition/absence, I think the "return to school" announcement is inevitable now. Hopefully, Aiko's birthday press release in December won't mention anything about attendance although I doubt it. The IHA should definitely stop when she starts high school.

Princess Aiko was absent for a third week according to the weekly press conference of the IHA Crown Prince household on October 14th. However, she is eager to resume school and it appears her weakened gastrointestinal and lightheadedness symptoms have improved somewhat. Princess Aiko has been studying her textbooks.

Source: page 3 of Sankei Imperial Weekly #456 and Sankei

I hope this Friday's press conference announces good news. 3 weeks of gastrointestinal issues and lightheadedness is a long time. I'd get a second opinion.

Reactions: eya
:previous: Three weeks is a long time to have gastro-intestinal issues, which could also cause the light-headed feeling. If she's not getting her nutrition, she'll feel weak everywhere. Hopefully Aiko's condition has been diagnosed and she's on the mend. :flowers:

Princess Aiko, the only child of Crown Prince Naruhito and Crown Princess Masako, has been absent from junior high school for a month due to poor health, an Imperial Household Agency official said.

The 14-year-old princess has missed school since Sept. 26 because of fatigue from examinations after the summer vacation and preparation for a school athletic meet, the official said Tuesday.
14-year-old Princess Aiko absent from school for last month | The Japan Times

Sankei reports some lightheadedness persists although Princess Aiko reads her textbooks when she's feeling better. No medication has been prescribed as the aim is natural healing. Her walk in the garden on the 24th was the first time she's been out in a long time. She hopes to resume school soon.

Asahi describes Aiko's current condition as there's still some wobble.

At least her weakened gastrointestinal issues seem to have gone away. It baffles me that the IHA think being so transparent on Aiko's condition is a good idea. This should only matter to the CP family, their doctors, and the school.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom