Princess Aiko News and Current Events Part 3: April 2008 - December 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What is it, I cannot tell, that the Videos about Aiko have touched me so deeply.

I can't believe she's turned 8 already! It feels like she was born yesterday. I love the images especially those from the race. She seems like a very enthusiastic girl when she's doing something she likes.

Photo of Princess Aiko with her father Prince Naruhito entering the Imperial Palace to greet Emperor Akihito on his 76th birthday on Dec. 23, 2009.

Jiji press

Great phot of the birthday girl, she's growing up so fast.

I'm so sorry for Princess Aiko.
That's something that would never pass to my mind, that she or another member of the royalty might me a victim of bulling.

Princess Aiko claims to be bullied
Japan's Princess Aiko, granddaughter of the emperor, has missed several days of classes because of bullying by boys at her elementary school, a spokesman for the royal family said Friday.
The news provided a rare glimpse into the private affairs of the world's oldest hereditary monarchy, which usually abides by strict, formal protocols and is tightlipped about personal matters.
The 8-year-old princess complained of a stomachache and expressed deep anxiety, and has not attended school since coming home early Tuesday, the spokesman for the Imperial Household Agency said. He declined to provide his name, citing agency policy.
An investigation by the agency and the school revealed that she and several other students had suffered violentthings from boys in another class, the spokesman said, declining to elaborate. Aiko is the daughter of Crown Prince Naruhito, son of the emperor, and Princess Masako. She attends the elite Gakushuin Primary School in Tokyo's central Shinjuku district. T
he spokesman declined to comment on the reaction of her parents or when she would return to school. Naruhito is to visit Africa starting Saturday but won't be accompanied by Masako, who hasn't attended official duties for several years. She has long suffered from a nervous disorder attributed to the difficulties of adjusting to palace life and the pressure to bear a son.
AP

such sad news, indeed. it's hard to imagine. i wonder what the reason to make it public was. it seems odd to me how the japanese court releases such personal information about royals.

Oh My God.... I can not believing such thing happened ...:ohmy::ohmy::ohmy:
I too find it puzzling that the IHA allowed to make this information public. I am sure the IHA decided to take a proactive approach before rumours start spreading. Hopefully the issue will be duly addressed.

Poor Princess Aiko. I feel for any child royal or not who has been a victim of bullying.

It doesn't sound like the issue is being treated seriously by the school "A representative of the school said the incident may have been a simple misunderstanding."

If the issue is a misunderstanding...I would think the chances of other students misunderstanding the issue would be none. Furthermore, although I am not a psychiatrist, Aiko is exhibiting all the symptons of someone who is being bullied.

I too find it odd that the IHA announced this. I wonder if they are trying to negate Aiko in the public's eye as they did her parents? I hate to be so cynical but I am very confused by their actions.

This information was also reported in the NY Daily News and they rarely report on any royals other than the British royal family. Except when the Dutch royals visited NYC recently of course.

:sad:My heart goes out to Princess Aiko! No child should be subjected to bullying and shame on the school for not taking the issue more seriously! I hope it doesn't cause irreparable harm to Aiko.

Poor dearest princess Toshinomiya!
I am so full of compassion for her partly because of my own Japanese school experience.

My heart goes out to her. I hope the problem adressed properly and she's comfortable enough to go back to school.
I experienced this kind of problem several times during middle school years. Boys can be so rowdy, you just can't stand them... It does made me listless to go to school, especialy if you're aloof and not part of any cliques in the class. And frustratingly, the teacher are not always reliable to handle it. Esp. if they tend to seek the easier way of blame it partly on my personality. It took me 4 years to know that it's understandable because he's in charge of 30-40 students in one class. Wich with the disadvantages that comes along with it makes it seems to be a stupid idea.

That's what I heard usually happens in Japanese school too. I do believe her prominent status will gain an imediate action, altough I'm pissed at how the school authority deemed it as misunderstanding. Come on! we know that typical response has been a public secret... Just read the comments at Japan Today News and you'll gain some insights of the situations in Japan. At least I know that if we want to give priority to the source of information regarding this issue, it'll definitely not from the school's representative.

And actually, the report of Aiko frightened after hearing the sounds of boys running and nearly collide with her last tuesday should be treated as an indication of what might happened before, not solely as an actual matter of the incident. Believe me, I've experienced it before, that's part of the teasing routines and an extentions of a rougher treatment. I'm referring this to some people who made insensitive comments on other websites that this fragile little princess who lives a confined life should toughen up for the real life and make a character. She's 8 years old!. And like any 8 years old, a relaxed and fun environtment at school is a priority for her early development.

My heart goes out to her. I hope the problem adressed properly and she's comfortable enough to go back to school.
I experienced this kind of problem several times during middle school years. Boys can be so rowdy, you just can't stand them... It does made me listless to go to school, especialy if you're aloof and not part of any cliques in the class. And frustratingly, the teacher are not always reliable to handle it. Esp. if they tend to seek the easier way of blame it partly on my personality. It took me 4 years to know that it's understandable because he's in charge of 30-40 students in one class. Wich with the disadvantages that comes along with it makes it seems to be a stupid idea.

That's what I heard usually happens in Japanese school too. I do believe her prominent status will gain an imediate action, altough I'm pissed at how the school authority deemed it as misunderstanding. Come on! we know that typical response has been a public secret... Just read the comments at Japan Today News and you'll gain some insights of the situations in Japan. At least I know that if we want to give priority to the source of information regarding this issue, it'll definitely not from the school's representative.

And actually, the report of Aiko frightened after hearing the sounds of boys running and nearly collide with her last tuesday should be treated as an indication of what might happened before, not solely as an actual matter of the incident. Believe me, I've experienced it before, that's part of the teasing routines and an extentions of a rougher treatment. I'm referring this to some people who made insensitive comments on other websites that this fragile little princess who lives a confined life should toughen up for the real life and make a character. She's 8 years old!. And like any 8 years old, a relaxed and fun environtment at school is a priority for her early development.

What you have described is the very reason why boys are being made to feel uncomfortable at school - they aren't being allowed to run and be boisterous because the girls see it as scary and 'bullying'.

I am not referring to this incident by the way but to the general idea that schools should be quiet places where the girls are comfortable and relaxed - sure but for boys that means being able to run around and yell and make noise.

Different genders do things differently.

In many ways this is reflected in the growing better results of girls as boys are simply turned off from school because they can't be themselves and express themselves in natural ways but have to be something boys of that age aren't - quiet and in control.

I have taught boys of 8 and have had parents of little girls complain that their precious little girls are scared of coming to school because of the boys and when I ask what the boys are doing to their little one the reply is usually along the lines of 'making too much noise' 'running around in the playground' 'wanting to play chasings with balls'. When I ask if the parents also have sons invariably the answer is 'no'. However when the girl has had brothers they seem to cope a lot better.

Would it help the situation if there was single-sex schools available?

:previous:
Given Princess Aiko's social status, I think that Gakushuin school is the only educational institution she is expected to attend.

I had to wonder if this kid is imitating her mom's behavior. The crown princess apparently is also too stressed or has a stomachache or a headache when it's time to go on a royal engagement she doesn't want to go to and suffers from depression. If Aiko is having a hard time at school, maybe that makes it easier for her to say 'I'll just be sick and won't go." I don't doubt that someone has been mean to her or she saw kids being mean to someone else at school and maybe that is more of a shock to the system for a princess from this sort of background. I would imagine the royal household is very, very decorous. But mental health issues also run in families and maybe Aiko has inherited her mother's tendency towards panic attacks and depression. They should find her a very good child psychiatrist and send her back to school immediately. I doubt the school will let ANYTHING happen to her after all the publicity. Keeping her home will make her an emotional cripple.

There is another potential factor, i.e. Princess Aiko may be resentful that Prince Hisahito will inherit the throne instead of Aiko. Until 3 years ago, she was heiress presumptive.

:previous:
It is an interesting assumption to make. Given her age, I highly doubt that Princess Aiko is occupied with such thoughts.

Princess Aiko attended school on March 8th, 2010, for the first time in six days after expressing anxiety since being ''treated harshly'' by boys at her elementary school.
The 8-year-old princess was accompanied by the crown princess in going into the school and attending the fourth period of morning classes, according to the Imperial Household Agency.

Kyodo

I don't think that we should be too hard on Aiko or think that she's simply copying her mother. She could be a sensitive, nervous child. I had an anxiety attack when I was 10 years old, simply because it was a stormy day and I was afraid that my parents wouldn't be able to come and pick me up.:ermm:

"...The episode has once again put Princess Masako’s unhappy story into the harsh glare of Japan’s tabloid press. The news media here portrayed her 1993 wedding as the fairy-tale marriage of a commoner to a prince but then grew increasingly critical of her inability to bear a male heir for the Chrysanthemum Throne. The mounting pressure is widely seen as contributing to what appears to have been a breakdown.
Since last week’s announcement, Princess Masako, 46, has emerged to take her daughter to school and even to sit with Aiko in her second-grade classroom. Some commentators speculated whether her mother’s problems had made Aiko overly sensitive or emotionally frail".
Tokyo Journal - full article

Tokyo Journal - Rough Time at School for Japan’s Little Princess Adds to Royal Family’s Woes - NYTimes.com
Others, however, said the school incident might have the opposite effect of making the public feel more compassion for Princess Masako. They said it could make the crown princess seem less distant if she was seen as a concerned mother facing her child’s bullying, an all-too-common problem in Japan’s high-pressure educational system.
“This will impress upon the public psyche that Princess Masako has problems just like the rest of us,” said Takeshi Hara, a professor specializing in the monarchy at Meiji Gakuin University here. “This could generate more support for her and the crown prince.”

There is another potential factor, i.e. Princess Aiko may be resentful that Prince Hisahito will inherit the throne instead of Aiko. Until 3 years ago, she was heiress presumptive.

No she wasn't - there is no provision for a female empress in the current constitution. 3 years ago the Crown Prince's heir was his brother and that is still the case. Aiko's position was that of the daughter of the heir apparent and that is still the case. She was never the heiress presumptive to the heir apparent - if she had been then she still would be as Hisahito is her uncle's son not her father's.

There was talk about changing the constitution to allow for Aiko to inherit the throne from her father but that didn't happen and with Hisahito's birth there is now no need to do it in the foreseeable future.

A senior Imperial Household Agency official Issei Nomura has expressed regrets over the announcement of Princess Aiko's absence from school drawing far wider public attention than expected.
Motomasa Higashisono, a senior director of the Gakushuin School Corporation, is also regretful.
"The school authorities failed to be in close touch with the primary school and the aides to the Crown Prince's household. I'm deeply ashamed because the matter has had an enormous impact on the children as a result," he said.
The Mainichi Daily News

The Crown Princely Couple have admitted that they had overreacted because of the Princess Aiko's school case. The Crown Princely Couple said Friday they feel distress for causing public concern. The Crown Princess feels "distress".
Kyodo News
The Japan Times

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom