Princess Aiko News and Current Events Part 3: April 2008 - December 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This should be a very interesting experience for Aiko. I hope it goes well for her, and that she has a great time.

On July 6th, the IHA confirmed Princess Aiko will study aboard July 22 - August 9 for summer school at Eton College. Besides lessons and dorm life, she and 40 classmates will visit London, Portsmouth, Oxford, etc.

Source: Jiji

I wonder if there'll be a photo session in the UK or release photos later. Princess Mako had photo ops during her 2006 homestay in Austria but I couldn't find anything for Princess Kako's 2013 study aboard in Boston, only Kako's return at the airport.

On July 21st, Princess Aiko visited the Imperial Palace to worship at the Three Palace Sanctuaries before her departure for Eton. Wearing her Gakushuin uniform, Aiko entered Hanzomon gate around 10:15am.

Source: Jiji
https://www.jiji.com/news/photos/photo_news/images/658/0027743085.jpg

ETA: In the afternoon, Princess Aiko (with her parents) visited Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko for greetings before going abroad.

Photos: Asahi (includes morning visit)
ETA: On July 22nd, Princess Aiko left Akasaka Estate after 7:30am for Haneda airport. She looks super excited! :D

Photos: Asahi, Jiji
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DirPi4JVQAAm7lx.jpg

Last edited:
I hope so much that she has a wonderful time, and that the exposure to the wider world is something that she enjoys!

On August 9th, Princess Aiko returned to Japan in the afternoon. She replied "it was fun" to press questions as she was driven into Akasaka Estate after 4:30pm.

Photos: Sankei

Gakushuin has a blog about the Eton summer school. Aiko is NOT mentioned and there are no photos, simply about the students' activities each day.

Gakushuin Girls' Junior and Senior High School BLOG | July (Google translation)

Gakushuin Girls' Junior and Senior High School BLOG | August (Google translation)

On August 10th, the IHA released a brief statement from Princess Aiko about her study aboard in the UK: "At first there was a bit of anxiety, but everything is new. As I became accustomed to English lessons, I had a fun and fulfilling stay. I am sincerely thankful to those who have taken care of me."

Sources: Jiji, news.tv-asahi.co.jp

On August 11th, Princess Aiko visited the Imperial Palace in the morning to report her safe return to the Three Palace Sanctuaries.

https://www.sankei.com/images/news/180811/lif1808110011-p1.jpg
http://www.sankei.com/images/news/180812/lif1808120008-p3.jpg
http://www.sankei.com/images/news/180812/lif1808120008-p4.jpg
https://cdn.mainichi.jp/vol1/2018/08/12/20180812k0000m040013000p/9.jpg
ETA: In the afternoon, Princess Aiko, accompanied by her parents, visited the Imperial Palace again for greetings to Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko. While she was abroad, Their Majesties followed her schedule with maps.

Source: news.tv-asahi.co.jp

https://www.jiji.com/news/photos/photo_news/images/658/0027918124.jpg
http://www.sankei.com/images/news/180812/lif1808120008-p1.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: eya
:previous: Getty Images for August 11, 2018

The caption for the sanctuary visit is incorrect. Getty has Aiko visiting Their Majesties twice...

cg8makt's videos. Interesting to hear Toshi-no-miya-sama instead of Aiko-sama.

Princess Aiko turns 17 on December 1!

IHA released photos and video taken on November 25 at Togu Palace (Crown Prince residence). Crown Prince Naruhito and Princess Aiko are looking at brochures and books related to her school trips to Nara and Kyoto. Good to see Yuri again! Family still has cats Mi and Seven.

She received greetings from IHA staff in the morning and will visit Their Majesties at the Imperial Palace in the evening.

Highlights: sericulture facility visit at Imperial Palace in May, public service with parents, Eton College study abroad this summer, and school sports and cultural festivals.

Mainichi, Asahi galleries
ETA: full video from Jiji

Last edited:
Lovely to see her again! I can hardly believe how quickly she's becoming a young woman. In a very few years we'll get to see her coming-of-age tiara!❤️

I wonder what her thoughts are regarding the upcoming move and changes in her life due to her father's enthronement? It would be interesting to know how it's all affecting her, if at all.

17 years old already... I feel like it was yesterday her parents exited the clinic with the newborn little princess on their arms :flowers:

And in three years from now it's her coming-of-age, and she will be The Emperor's daughter then !

On December 1st, Princess Aiko visited the Imperial Palace for birthday greetings with Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko in the evening.

Photos: AP Images, Getty Images
https://www.sankei.com/images/news/181201/lif1812010051-p1.jpg

Princess Aiko turns 17, says she is enjoying school life | The Japan Times
[...] She has been busy spending time on study and other activities, and is growing up in good health, officials of the Imperial Household Agency said.

[...] the princess visited Kamakura, Kanagawa Prefecture, south of Tokyo, on a school excursion in May.

[...]

At the Gakushuin high school’s culture festival in early November, Princess Aiko gave a dance performance as a member of a group of students and also emceed the performance.

In mid-November, she visited Nara and Kyoto prefectures on a school trip.

Princess Aiko likes watching celestial objects. In January, she observed a total lunar eclipse, the first such phenomenon visible from Japan in about three years, with her parents.

During a visit to the Imperial Stock Farm in Tochigi Prefecture in May, she viewed Venus and Jupiter with a telescope.

In August, the princess went to the Suzaki Imperial Villa in Shizuoka. During the trip, she did snorkeling, and also jogged with her father.

Princess Aiko offered silent prayers on the anniversaries of the March 2011 earthquake and tsunami that hit the Tohoku region and the series of earthquakes that struck Kumamoto and nearby areas in April 2016.

[...]

Last edited:
Is this the first time Aiko has worn the standard-issue Imperial silk suit for her birthday greetings to her grandparents? Was she still wearing her school uniform last year? I need to go look... It's a lovely color on her, and much more flattering than some of the cardigan and blouse combos she's worn.

Edited to add: No I see she wore a sea green not-as-flattering version of the suit last year, so the lovely coral version is not the first time. It's definitely a sign that her status is changing.

Last edited:
I hope Aiko will wear it for New Year's photos! ? She's worn the sea-green and coral outfits for family photos before.

At first, I thought it was the outfit worn for Empress Michiko's birthday greetings but the lapels and texture are different.

From the Japan Times article, I think her taking the emcee role at the cultural festival is good practice for public speaking.

Princess Aiko turns 18 on December 1

The 3rd-year student at Gakushuin Senior Girls' High School is busy studying and preparing for university. She has been active in sporting events and cultural festivals at school.

She watched the enthronement ceremony on TV and greeted her parents' departure and return from the enthronement and Daijosai rituals. Aiko attended moments of silence on the anniversaries of the 2011 earthquake and end of WWII.

Princess Aiko had the opportunity to speak to Britain's Princess Anne when the Princess Royal visited Japan in October and was invited to tea at Akasaka Imperial residence.

Photos: Mainichi, Asahi

Video and photos were taken on November 25. Emperor Naruhito and Princess Aiko are discussing the geography of Africa.

Very pretty and there is Something nice and kind in her face. How time passes… today her birthday !

Is this her last year of high school and when does she graduate?

Yes 3rd year is the senior year of high school. The school years in Japan as I understand run April-March (summer holidays don't mark end of school year). Her graduation ceremony will be in March 2020.

I know a lot of people in Japan try to change the Imperial law and enable a woman to become Empress.
I really Wonder, considering what we know of the restricted life an Emperor and an Empress live if Aiko and her parents really WISH for the law to be changed.

Countessmeout is correct. Princess Aiko will graduate from high school next March and start university in April.

Princess Aiko turns 18, enjoys last year in high school - The Mainichi
[...]

The cello-loving princess, currently a third-year student at Gakushuin Girls' Senior High School in Tokyo, vigorously carried out school assignments and studied for exams -- sometimes getting advice from the imperial couple, according to the Imperial Household Agency.

The princess rejoiced in her class victory at an athletics meet in September, while spectators were excited when she performed dance at a school festival in November, the agency said.

However, the agency's Board of Chamberlains declined to comment on which university the princess is considering attending.

[...]
NHK reports Princess Aiko visited Gakushuin University in April where she visited a guide dog experience corner. She also visited the university museum where her father was involved as a visiting researcher and an exhibition about Imperial culture.

ETA: Princess Aiko turns 18 after watching rituals of her parents: The Asahi Shimbun
Princess Aiko, the only child of Emperor Naruhito and Empress Masako, turned 18 on Dec. 1 and is currently studying hard to prepare for her university education.

[...] the princess followed TV and newspaper coverage of all related events, including the Oct. 22 Sokuirei-Seiden-no-Gi ceremony in which Naruhito announced his enthronement to domestic and foreign audiences.

On Oct. 22, Aiko saw off her parents at the family’s Akasaka Imperial Residence as they headed to the Imperial Palace for the many rites held that day. She greeted them whenever they returned home.

The princess loves sports and often plays basketball after school and on holidays. She also takes care of the family’s dog and two cats.

[...]
Longer birthday video from Sankei:

Last edited:
On December 1st, Princess Aiko visited Emperor Emeritus Akihito and Empress Emerita Michiko at Fukiage Sento Imperial Palace for greetings on her 18th birthday. She arrived before 4pm and stayed about 30 minutes.

Photos: AP Images, Getty Images

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EKuIdVmUcAARJPh.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EKuIdVqUwAY0ED1.jpg
https://www.sponichi.co.jp/society/news/2019/12/02/jpeg/20191202s00042000040000p_view.jpg

I hope she is happy as she is now.

Princess Aiko turns 18, enjoys last year in high school - The Mainichi

NHK reports Princess Aiko visited Gakushuin University in April where she visited a guide dog experience corner. She also visited the university museum where her father was involved as a visiting researcher and an exhibition about Imperial culture.

ETA: Princess Aiko turns 18 after watching rituals of her parents: The Asahi Shimbun

It's interesting also that both Naruhito and Masako are making little comments or gestures in a way that is clearly set up to make them relatable: the Emperor showing a photo which he just happened to have in his pocket, and the Empress's comment about their dog also doing "volunteer" work. It would be fascinating to know more about the current internal structure of the IHA, and how some of these decisions are being made. There has clearly been a change in philosophy there.

That is an interesting insight, and I quote it here because the story about Aiko meeting a local girl and encouraging her to both do their best seems very much in the same tone.

The recent history of how the Imperial Family and the Imperial Household Agency have dealt with media coverage and disseminated information is something puzzling for me; on some occasions it has seemed expertly done while at times seeming amateurish (but perhaps that is my lack of expertise in Japanese culture).

I know a lot of people in Japan try to change the Imperial law and enable a woman to become Empress.
I really Wonder, considering what we know of the restricted life an Emperor and an Empress live if Aiko and her parents really WISH for the law to be changed.

Years ago there were apparently rumors (the article is somewhere on this forum) that then Crown Princess Masako preferred a future outside of the Imperial Family for her daughter. But even without the law being changed, I think there will be likely be some who will place pressure on her to postpone/avoid marriage to remain in the imperial family to provide support for Prince Hisahito, especially if her older cousins have left the family.

Last edited:
:previous:

On a shallow note, I like the fact that the royals' traditional closeness to Gakushuin is continuing.

:previous:

On a shallow note, I like the fact that the royals' traditional closeness to Gakushuin is continuing.
Haha, me too. ?

If Aiko graduates from Gakushuin University, I think she'll be the first Imperial graduate since Princess Noriko of Takamado in 2010.

Haha, me too. ?

If Aiko graduates from Gakushuin University, I think she'll be the first Imperial graduate since Princess Noriko of Takamado in 2010.

Yes she will be. The Mikasa princesses did as well but before her. Princess Kako attended but switched to the International Christian university like her sister and University of Tokyo. A number of them have studied abroad including one at Camousen in Canada which my dad attended.

It will be interesting to watch her college years. The Japanese royals (and Thai as well) seem to put great importance on education. A lot of highly educated members. Even among those still representing the family.

Princess Kako didn't go to the University of Tokyo. I think you mean she graduated from ICU and studied abroad at the University of Leeds.

Japan's government asked all elementary, junior high and high schools to close from Monday March 2 through spring break until early April over coronavirus (COVID-19) concerns. Some schools already plan to scale down graduation and entrance ceremonies, limiting attendees and shortening program hours.

PM Abe asks all schools in Japan to temporarily close over coronavirus - Kyodo News

Gakushuin Girls' Junior and Senior High School's notice about the closure, grades, and graduation ceremony (Japanese PDF)
- Closed March 2-19. All year-end examinations, school events and club activities will be cancelled.
- Grades are based on a comprehensive assessment of grades for the first and second semesters and the status of normal learning in the third semester.
- March 21: closing ceremony via broadcast (?). graduation ceremony rehearsal in gymnasium for 3rd year students only.
- March 22: senior high graduation ceremony only. students and their guardians should wear masks. Thank you party is cancelled.
- Closed March 23 - April 6. All school events and club activities during this time will be cancelled.

Currently, Gakushuin University's Reiwa 2 (2020) entrance ceremony is scheduled for April 3

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom