Princess Aiko News and Current Events Part 3: April 2008 - December 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Poor girl. So much focus on her.

:previous: Yes, I agree. We saw her frequently over the summer with their parents. I find it rather sad that the article refers to people calling her "the princess who rarely smiles." Perhaps that whole family circle is in upheaval due to the Emperor's desire to abdicate. :ermm:

The cynic in me is thinking the IHA goes out of its way to show that Princess Aiko is so "weak" that any consideration of allowing females - and Aiko in particular - to possibly reign someday is unthinkable. Cynical me is thinking they nearly destroyed Masako because she only bore one daughter and now they must ensure that that daughter is a non-entity.

:previous: yeah... this was expected after the first English article came out and will probably get worse. :sad:

Media attention will only complicate Aiko's situation. I don't believe it's truancy because why would anyone want this kind of negative press? The IHA doctors examined her and she's following their instructions. Not sure where NY Times picked up the "rarely smiles" line, that's not true.

I find the dizziness symptom most troubling. My coworker had dizziness for 3 days and then it just disappeared. Another friend of mine woke up with vertigo one morning and had it for about month.

The cynic in me is thinking the IHA goes out of its way to show that Princess Aiko is so "weak" that any consideration of allowing females - and Aiko in particular - to possibly reign someday is unthinkable. Cynical me is thinking they nearly destroyed Masako because she only bore one daughter and now they must ensure that that daughter is a non-entity.

Still, an entire month's absence seems quite serious.

The IHA couldn't invent that; something must be wrong.

Yes, I agree. Dizziness, weakness, and gastro-intestinal problems are serious indeed.

Still, an entire month's absence seems quite serious.

The IHA couldn't invent that; something must be wrong.

An op-ed piece by Hiroyuki Shinoda at Japanese Yahoo News questions the IHA and media. Princess Aiko's absence was one of the topics.
- IHA could have avoided detailed explanation as her absence was not widely reported at first.
- Instead the IHA's regular updates led to speculation and coverage rarely seen so far. The October 20th issue of "Shukan Bunshun" even had a story on Princess Aiko written as if the pediatrician knew her.
- Mr. Shinoda writes (google translation) "There is no need to publish every time because it is private information." and "Problem of how to think about the distinction of the royal family of privacy and public information also remains ambiguous."

Other topics mentioned the stir caused by "Weekly Women" Nov. 1st issue publishing a photo of Princess Mako on a "date"; the early replacement of IHA Grand Steward Noriyuki Kazaoka as "punishment" for not stopping the Emperor's abdication wish; and why the IHA denied Prince Akishino leaked abdication news to NHK. Rather than ending speculation about Prince Akishino, the IHA's denial seems to have spread the story as likely.

This pro-Crown Prince family Japanese blog complains of stalking. Both NHK and Asahi reported Princess Aiko's return before the IHA announcement. NHK waited outside the CP palace and got video of her car leaving/returning. The media continues to follow her being driven to/from school.

Last edited:
She is quite thin, poor thing. No more puppy fat.

Lovely kitty on her lap, too!;)

Beautiful and a real teenager now.... the cat is lovely too !

Princess Aiko turns 15, learns more about official duties - The Mainichi
...she has become thinner. However, the weight loss is no cause for alarm, according to a chamberlain for Naruhito’s family.

“She has no problems for us to worry about,” the chamberlain said.

Aiko returned to junior high school after being absent from Sept. 26 to Nov. 7.

The princess had complained of stomach problems and dizziness after the end of the summer vacation, which was attributed to fatigue from studying for exams and practicing for a school athletic event.
Back at school and in full health, Princess Aiko turns 15 : The Asahi Shimbun

Sankei reports Princess Aiko went jogging with her father and played tennis with her mother before her physical condition became poor. The cat named "Seven" came from an animal hospital. (animal shelter?)

Reactions: eya
On December 1st, Princess Aiko visited Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko for the customary birthday greeting.

Photos: Asahi

Reactions: eya
Happy birthday :flowers: growing into a beautiful young woman. I love the Japanese royals have cats, we always see dogs. This one is adorable, their second one it seems.

Thanks for the update!:flowers:
It is nice to see Princess Aiko's annual photos. A cat is a surprising element in a usual photoshoot.

Last edited:
Princess Aiko looks like her mum! I love the photo, and hope she has a happy birthday.

I am happy to see this beautiful young girl, she became very pretty

Princess Aiko's shopping |unbelievableme| ru_royalty

The above post by unbelievableme contains photos of Princess Aiko shopping for St Valentine's Day in Ginza, Tokyo. The photos are informal.

Thanks! I wish I didn't google translate the page though. Some comments were quite mean. :sad:

Princess Aiko participated in the "Hyakunin Special Meeting" at Gakushuin on February 13th. Competing in groups of 10, she collected about 40 pieces.
Source: page 4 of Sankei Imperial Weekly #474

I'm guessing it's Karuta or a similar game using the poems...

Last edited:
I hope really one day she will be the Empress....I was so happy when she was born and she deserves the title...chances are slim but ...?

Aiko's face is so thin!:ohmy: Neither of her parents have faces like that, and so I'm wondering if she hasn't fully recovered from the health problem that she had over the summer. Didn't she have something like a bad case of gastro-enteritis?

I hope really one day she will be the Empress....I was so happy when she was born and she deserves the title...chances are slim but ...?

Tbh I think she escaped it. She will be the only child of the Imperial couple, but I hope they give her a lot of space to enjoy life a bit, study what she loves and then do her duties as Princess.

@Mermaid1962: Yeah, she was already this very thin at the birthday photos of her mother. Hope she is alright :ermm:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom