Divorce rumours for Princess Masako ?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigheadshirmp

Courtier
City
Vancouver
Country
Canada
there are rumors in newspaper from china saying that the crown prince couple may divorce........

actually....the newspaper said...this is according from "insider sources from the imperial court" that crown princess masako does not want to be the crown princess already....she's got enough !! the newspaper is just translating from a weekly magazine from japan..

i haven't find any english articles abt this matter....will see abt that in a few days i think....

Last edited:
oh----groooaaan -- I hope there is nothing to those reports -- I wish this Imperial Household Agency would lighten up some of their hold on the royals...they seem unbelievably cloistered. I recall feeling so sad about the way Princess Sayako's life would change upon her marriage until I read something that suggested, given her personality, she was probably looking forward to many of the freedoms that would now be accorded her. Who knows if there is any truth to that suggestion, but if it were to be true, I can't imagine marrying like Masako did and losing so much freedom...that would be truly difficult -- knowing that freedom exists but isn't available.

I wonder if it was the Imperial Household Agency that wishes to get rid of Masako and planted that kind of story. Just earlier in the year, didn't the head of the IHA publicly stated he thought the couple should have another child and Naruhito's brother should do the same? They still are holding out for a male heir. If they couldn't get it out of Masako, they are willing to get rid of her and have a go with another woman. All assuming Naruhito will go along with the scheme.

Japan weeklies titillate with royal divorce talk
By Linda Sieg
TOKYO (Reuters) - Weekly magazines that once scrutinized the height of Japanese Crown Princess Masako's heels for clues to a possible pregnancy have another obsession these days: is divorce an option for the unhappy former diplomat?
.......................Hence the speculation by gossip-prone weeklies that divorce might be a way out for the multilingual, Harvard-educated princess, who abandoned a career in the foreign ministry to marry Crown Prince Naruhito nearly 13 years ago.
"Divorce for Princess Masako is not a taboo," said a cover story in the weekly Shukan Asahi, noting a plethora of similar articles had emerged in rival publications since late last year.
The Imperial Household Agency, which handles the royals affairs, says the speculation is groundless and has protested to the magazines, an agency spokesman said.
Royal watchers say Masako, who gave birth to her only child, Princess Aiko, four years ago, feels isolated and depressed after years of pressure to produce a male heir to the ancient monarchy and obstacles to her goal of becoming a "royal envoy."
But whereas Britain's Princess Diana opted for divorce from an unfaithful spouse, experts say that seems an unlikely course for Masako -- not least because of her strong bond with Naruhito, 45, who has been staunchly and publicly supportive.
"There is very strong pressure against it and no precedent." said Miiko Kodama, a professor of mass communication at Musashi University. "It's not 100 percent impossible but it's unlikely." Masako agreed to wed Naruhito only after a long courtship and a princely promise that he would "protect her with all his might" from the strains of life in an imperial family believed by traditionalists to trace its origins back more than 2,000 years................................
http://go.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=worldNews&storyID=11069931&pageNumber=0

i read an article that said that naruhito and masako could get divorced in spanish newspaper el semanal, because of kiko's pregnancy and masako falling into depression again. i really hope it's not true.

here is the link to the article: http://www.elsemanaldigital.com/arts/45728.asp

carlota said:
i read an article that said that naruhito and masako could get divorced in spanish newspaper el semanal, because of kiko's pregnancy and masako falling into depression again. i really hope it's not true.
As the pressure on Masako has intensified, so the rumours have increased. The divorce rumour or "option" has been around for a week or two. A paranoid person may think a campaign is being waged. No wonder poor Masako is a shadow of her former self. :mad:

Hi everybody

I've just read in the french ELLE edition that Masako is going to divorce her husband.:eek:

Is it true ? Do you have more information?

pouk said:
Hi everybody

I've just read in the french ELLE edition that Masako is going to divorce her husband.:eek:

Is it true ? Do you have more information?

For years there were rumours about their possible divorce once becouse she can't gave a child other time - her dejection. Now we should wait about that.

Doubt it.

I doubt it.

Naruhito and Masako really love each other. Naruhito even attacked the IHA for treating Masako so badly.

Some links about this

It seems that some Japanese weekly magazines or maybe newspapers have published rumours about this which the Imperial Household Agency have denied. Maybe these magazines are just trashy scandal-sellers? We have magazines like this in Australia called "Woman's Day" and such titles, which publish stories that they just make up about celebrities to sell magazines.

There are some links about this story:

http://theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,18017236%255E1702,00.html

This is a good article - there is a little mention of divorce ideas on the second page but it also says a lot of other interesting stuff
http://www.theage.com.au/news/world/royal-ruckus-sours-family-in-a-fishbowl/2006/01/13/1137118970439.html

If you just google - masako divorce - you will get a lot of links!

CrownPrinceLorenzo said:
I doubt it.

Naruhito and Masako really love each other. Naruhito even attacked the IHA for treating Masako so badly.

Even if they truly love each other, maybe Masako can't take the situation any longer.

In this situation, I dont think love matters. They may love each other deeply but if this love is going to destroy people then a divorce may be best. Also, the starting of a divorce may shake the IHA and maybe some changes will start.

"Tension has emerged in the royal family, traditionally a circumspect group. Newspaper reports last year said Prince Naruhito and Princess Masako might divorce, freeing him to remarry to try again." (from The Age)

- Why it remind me Napoleon and Josephine or Henry VIII and his wives? - both rulers wants a male heirs...

I wouldn't be surprised if they divorced. Masako is unhappy and now after the announcement of Kiko's pregnancy, her third, it might get worse for Masako not better especially if Kiko has a boy. I'm not one of those who thinks if Kiko has a boy it will take the heat off Masako. It will further isolate her from the IHA and I think considering how cruel they've already been that they won't let her forget that she "failed." Not just because she didn't have a boy (which is of course the fault of the man not the woman) but it points out that Masako has only had one child in all of these years of marriage. Again, unfair but that's the way it's going.

magnik said:
"Newspaper reports last year said Prince Naruhito and Princess Masako might divorce, freeing him to remarry to try again." (from The Age)

Is there any moral or legal barrier to the Crown Prince remarrying in Japan such as 'sort of' happens in the British monarchy? I sort of think not as Japan does not have the Judaeo-Christian heritage, but maybe someone knows about this? I guess the fact that even if he had an heir with a concubine, it would be ok, seems to say that remarriage is a totally acceptable option.

In such a situation, I would feel sad for Princess Masako, though she would have her life back; but I wonder what would be the lot of Princess Aiko - whether she would go with her mother or stay with the imperial family. AND - if they divorced and Aiko-chan went with her mother, and then Koizumi's proposal to change the succession law succeeded - but Aiko was living withy her mother - ohhhhh - so complicated!!!!

A divorce would be unacceptable for the imperial family. If Masako divorces, she would loose her daughter because Aiko, as a member of the imperial family, would have to remain with his father. And it would be a great dishonour for Masako's family.

(That was told to me by a poster in message board
)

I don't believe that. I think Naruhito loves Masako very much. 12 years of marriage don't are like to go for a walk. It's a long time.

Yeah if Naruhito didn't respect his father so much, I bet Naruhito would beat the crap out of the IHA people! Those people are sooo evil! :-(

CrownPrinceLorenzo said:
Yeah if Naruhito didn't respect his father so much, I bet Naruhito would beat the crap out of the IHA people! Those people are sooo evil! :-(

LOL! I feel the same. I would boot the IHA one way or the other had I been the Crown Prince. Imagine being the cause of other people's misery and being indifferent to it!

I don't think Naruhito will divorce Masako - he seems soooo in love with her after all these years!

There may be rumours about a devorce and it might even once have been concidered as an option, but I doubt it's going to more then just a rumour.

Masako will indeed have to leave the Imperial Palace, find a job and loose her daughter which she's definitly not prepared to do. She'll only be allowed to see her daughter with the permission of the IHA and after they treated her, I don't think Masako has much confidence in them that she will be able to maintain her place in her daughter's life.

I'm just mad because all the signs are there that Kiko became pregnant of an IVF-boy then I wonder why the IHA never suggested such a treatment to Masako. For instance after the birth of Aiko. She was fairly happy then that she had delivered a healty girl. And at that point, CP Masako had fewer mental problems and it could have worked out fine. IVF did exists back in 2001.

Fie said:
all the signs are there that Kiko became pregnant of an IVF-boy

Could you please explain - what evidence is there that Kiko is pregnant through IVF? And what do you mean by IVF-boy?

I really don't think the CP couple will divorce. Unlike the west, divorce is still a very taboo issue in a conversative Japanese culture and for the CP couple to divorce would mean Masako bring shame and disrespect to her husband and own family. But aside from all this traditional reasoning, you can see these two are very much in love and however rough the journey will be, they'll give each other the strength and support needed to carry on.

I think these divorce rumors are the evilness of IHA trying to make their lives a living hell - something the IHA seem to excel in doing.

I believe it is more likely that Prince Naruhito steps aside (if the baby on the way is a boy) and lets his brother become the heir to the throne.

grevinnan said:
I believe it is more likely that Prince Naruhito steps aside (if the baby on the way is a boy) and lets his brother become the heir to the throne.

His brother is already his heir, he doesn't need to step aside. Should Akishino's child be a boy, then the baby would be third in line after Naruhito and Akishino.

Divorce is not an option. With a culture as conservative as Asian cultures, even divorce carries a certain amount of taboo and down-cast impressions of the person(s). Plus, as stressful as Imperial life is for Masako, she hasn't know any other life for the past 10+ years. It's not as if she could go back to the life she had before. It would be an impossible situation. Plus, she and her husband clearly love each other. Their marriage will last for the rest of their lives as it should be.

I really can't see divorce. Naruhito waited a long time for Masako to even accept his proposal, and he has stuck beside her through all of the hardships she has endured over the years. I believe they genuinely love each other and that he would probably give up anything else (royal status, position, etc) rather than her.

I also don't believe that they will divorce. The society is very conservative in Japan and also they love each other:)

They may not divorce but if Kiko has a boy, Masako's standing in the IHA will be worse than it already is. I don't know if the CP actually refused to have another child but her sister-in-law will be seen as at least trying, all the while carrying out her royal duties. I bet from now until the baby is born Masako will suddenly start feeling well enough to make more and more public appearances. :cool:

Princess Masako is in one of the most difficult positions for a royal in any current monarchy. I just cannot grasp the concept that all the prejudice and pressure she and her husband are submitted to is plainly based in her giving birth to a girl and not a boy. What century are we exactly on?!? And if she was not around then the same pressure would have been applied to Princess Kiko herself.

Back
Top Bottom