Divorce rumours for Princess Masako ?

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
"This is the 21 century"
apparantly not in japan. i agree with everyword of your post countess!!!!!

And do you think that's fair to Hisahito or Aiko?

One can disagree with Japan's succession rules all you want. But according to the rules, Hisahito is next in line, and if people wanted to change the rules, they should have been (and could have been) changed before he was born.

It could take years for the rules to change, and that would put both Aiko and Hisahito's lives literally on hold. The best thing they could do was change the rules starting with Hisahito's heirs, and or suggest that after Hisahito (if he doesn't have kids) Aiko, then Mako, then Kako. But to change the rules let's say 10 years later, isn't right.

As of now, Hisahito is third in line after his father Akishino so if both Naruhito and Akishino live as live long as the Emperor, he wouldn't be Emperor til... do the math.

There is plenty of time to amend the constitution without putting the children's lives on hold. I see no reason why Princess Aiko couldn't ascend the throne after Naruhito.

As of now, Hisahito is third in line after his father Akishino so if both Naruhito and Akishino live as live long as the Emperor, he wouldn't be Emperor til... do the math.

There is plenty of time to amend the constitution without putting the children's lives on hold. I see no reason why Princess Aiko couldn't ascend the throne after Naruhito.

Well considering the age of his father and uncle and the fact that Naruhito and Masako are not likely to have another child, Hisahito has a good chance of thinking he will succeed to the throne. Now, if the Crown Prince has a son, the Crown Prince has a son, but that is becoming increasingly unlikely...

Which means that Hishahitio will have no choice but to be prepared to eventually be emperor.

From what I understand training to be emperor takes years and years of grooming. To make it a "no mansland" where Aiko and Hisahito both have to live their lives not knowing isn't fair. NOw it would be one thing if Naruhito has a son, then Hisahito will know the deal. But it's a whole other thing to ma ke Hisahito prepare and live with all the presure. And say you know what we are going with Aiko. Then he can just be like why did you waste all my time, and my life, when you could have just gone with Aiko in the beginning.

For example, in Norway, there is a new law which states that oldest child. The crown prince of Norway has elder sisters, but the new law applies only to the Crown Prince's children. Because the people realized that it would be unfair to make the Crown Prince prepare all his life (and not prepare his sisters) and then just to take it away. These are real lives.

Third in line, fourth in line. Every year that passes makes it more likely that Hisahito will reign someday. It's not like those ahead of him are young.

I think it is a sad state of affairs today for the Japaneese royals. It seems they have no control over their lives like their European counterparts. It seems the court controls them. It's like they are puppets. Who knows if they can change anything. I wish they would have a female emperor. But I doubt that will happen in my lifetime.

I have found some facts concerning divorce in the imperial family, and as the divorce rumours for princess Masako seem to come back again from time to time like a boomerang – probably when there is again some journalist desperately searching for something to write about her and finding old articles in the internet – I want to post them here. Actually, I knew the whole time that I have read them SOMEWHERE but I was absolutely unable to remember where, and I thought if somebody asks me for the source, I can only say: “Sorry…” So, I will put it here for just in case… And in this way I will, at least, remember in future where I got this information from. 
This is from a link that I have found somewhere in the older threads of this forum (but at present do not remember where ) and have saved the contents in order to read them at leisure but somehow never did it thoroughly until now, at the time I did it only superficially. It is called: “Pandora´s Box: The Chrysanthemum Throne.
This is the link:

History of the Japanese royal family

The information about divorce comes from the fourth and last part: "The Princess and the "Grey Men"."

The author says in it that the same month as the IHA made the announcement, that Masako was suffering from “adjustment disorder”, suggestions of divorce were “leaked” from the IHA to the Japanese press. Both of this happened shortly after the famous press conference of the Crown Prince on May 10, 2004, during which he had accused unnamed persons of having tried to nullify his wife´s character and career and which had caused great trouble to the IHA, to say the least.

The author of “The Chrysanthemum throne” believes that by making the Princess´ illness and its nature officially public “the IHA intentionally tried to create the impression of a mentally disturbed woman in order to strengthen their case against the Princess.” She also thinks that, in their opinion, the executives of the IHA had no time to lose “because, earlier this year, the Emperor was diagnosed with prostate cancer” as the law “prohibits an emperor from divorcing his wife; it does not, however, prevent a crown prince from doing so.”

She says that if the Emperor dies before the Crown Prince divorces, then the possibility of divorce (and thus, remarriage) would be gone forever. So, according to her, the IHA was at the time in a hurry to get rid of Masako as fast as possible. (In vain, as we know but that does not mean they have not done their very best towards it… :ermm: )

But she also says that although an imperial prince can theoretically divorce his wife “the fact remains that divorce flies in the face of imperial tradition. There has been only one case of divorce in the entire history of the Imperial Family and that was just a minor relative of the Emperor, Prince Kitashirakawa, who obtained a divorce over a hundred years ago.”

I think that all this is very interesting and may be useful for any upcoming discussion about divorce in the imperial family in the future…

Countess thanks for putting this into it'strue framework. This is the 21st Century and change in this household id long overdue. IMO

This poor boy's only reason for existance is to inherit the throne. He was born to take away the problem. That is terrible.

All heirs are born to take away the succession issue. Anyway, I wouldn't pity someone whose birth was celebrated across the country and who is expected to become an emperor.

Aiko is the rightful heir.

Currently, Aiko is not the rightful heir, neither de jure nor de facto. It's just your opinion.

God know, if that is a gift or not. But Hisahito is an artificial heir, conceived and dedicated to eliminating women from inheritance.

As it stands now, Hisahito is the rightful heir who is expected to become an emperor one day. He was conceived to save the Imperial Family from extinction in male line. The Imperial Throne has been passed through male line for more than 2,000 years and Hisahito's birth secured the continuity of that tradition. I don't think that the tradition is there to eliminate women from the line of succession; it actually eliminates female-line descendants from the line of succession.

There were empresses regnant in Japan before, so I wouldn't object to Aiko's accession (Aiko herself is descended from the emperors of Japan in male-line) if it was determined that she would be succeeded by her nearest male-line relative. The nearest male line relative could be Hisahito or one of his sons, or even her own son if she marries a male-line descendant of the former imperial branches.

This contiunity lasts for 2,000 years and it's too ancient to be broken so easily. I would support establishing male-preferance primogeniture in Liechenstein and Luxembourg, for example, but it's more complicated in Japan.

"This is the 21 century"
apparantly not in japan.

It doesn't matter what century it is - this tradition exists for more than 20 centuries and it can't be changed so easily.

Last edited by a moderator:
Masko's father has certainly benefited, and I doubt he would have ever allowed her to leave Japan and her husband.
But she was an adult when she agreed (with her father's backing) to become Crown Princess

seeing this topic has been going on since 2005 and nothing happened between the crown princely couple in terms of divorce, i think it's fairly safe to assume that it was not true at all or that they, like any couple, were having some bad times. they seem to fortunately have been solved, which is great to hear as masako is such an adorable lady.

I absolutely agree, Carlota, this is why I have posted the information above that says that suggestions of divorce of the couple were “leaked” from the IHA to the Japanese press shortly after the famous press conference of the Crown Prince on May 10, 2004.

This supports my view that this story has been wishful thinking of IHA bureaucrats from the first. It has, anyway, often been stated in this forum that two people who look at each other like the prince and the princess still do after nearly 16 years of marriage can hardly be suspected of planning a divorce.

But still the story is being repeated by the press from time to time as you can see in another thread: http://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...rrent-events-pt-4-jan-dec-2008-a-15447-8.html

Last edited:
I hope these are just rumors because they are truely a perfect couple it would be very sad

Unless its been announced by the court, they are just that....rumours....every now and then they pop up.

If Naruhito hasn't divorced Masako by now, despite all the criticism of her, then I think it's very unlikely he will ever do so.
I think he's accepted (and perhaps even embraced, to a certain extent) being alienated from his family.

It remains to be seen what will happen when the Emperor dies.

Unless its been announced by the court, they are just that....rumours....every now and then they pop up.

They don't 'pop up' every now and then, the original rumours surfaced when this thread originated in 2005, they did the rounds and then died. There hasn't been any other rumours since then, unless you count an occasional discussion on a message board. But not in the media.

Every now and then someone will post something in the current events thread or this thread, and question whether or not Masako and Naruhito are getting a divorce. So that to me is a pop up...it might be different to you.

I don't know but they seemed happy don't know what could go wrong but could you divorce a crown prince of japan?

Given how devoted how devoted CP Naruhito seems to be to his family, I can't see him divorcing CP Masako. And I can't imagine CP Masako divorcing him, because she would be sure to lose Princess Aiko. I think that if they've managed to stay together this long in spite of all the trouble around them, they'll stay together.

I don't know but they seemed happy don't know what could go wrong but could you divorce a crown prince of japan?

Wow! Japan's people, as a whole, are considered intelligent because of their many innovations, inventions, technologies, etc. Who exactly says Princess Masako's only responsibility to have an 'heir,' aka 'a son?' Women have come very in the last century and also into this new century and into this new millennium. Actually, biologically, it is a man's gametes that supply an 'x chromosome' or a 'y chromosome.' Because a female's gametes contain only an 'x chromosome,' then, ironically, it is up to a future father to supply the 'y chromosome' that will make a future son.
If the CP of Japan cannot supply the necessary 'y chromosome' from one spermatozoa to a mature ovum from his wife - - - then it is, still, actually neither either of their faults. How can people be so petty and utterly ridiculous to 'blame' the CPss on bodily processes she has absolutely no control over. I think one too many in Japan has exceeded their saki consumption! The citizenry of Japan as a whole, need to 'get a grip.'

Wow!...The citizenry of Japan as a whole, need to 'get a grip.'
NotHRH,
This topic had been discussed thousand times.:whistling:
Would you be so kind to read this thread from the very beginning to find all info you need.
The Japanese people are fond of children regardless their sex.:flowers:
Traditionally the Emperor of Japan is the highest ranking shinto priest (神主), the role a woman cannot carry on.

Kasumi said:
NotHRH,
This topic had been discussed thousand times.:whistling:
Would you be so kind to read this thread from the very beginning to find all info you need.
The Japanese people are fond of children regardless their sex.:flowers:
Traditionally the Emperor of Japan is the highest ranking shinto priest (神主), the role a woman cannot carry on.

I came across a bit of relevant-to-this-topic information about HRH the Crown Princess Masako of Japan. I did not know that the princess is 45+ years-old. As a general rule, as all women do not fit in the same category, it can be extremely difficult to conceive at this (st)age in woman's life. But there is still hope for the crown princess. Just last year, John Travolta's gave birth to baby boy. Mrs. Travolta (Kelly Preston) was 48 years-old at that time.
I feel for the Crown Princess of Japan. As she is already wealthy, I hope for her to be healthy and wise also. I wish for only happiness within the JRF always.

It took Masako years to have her daughter and she wasn't in her mid 40s during that time. It should be accepted that Masako will only have one child. Now that a boy has been born to Kiko, I believe there is no longer a need to stress Masako to have another child at her age; even if it is possible and safe to do so.

Now We Getting a Grip!!!

I think one too many in Japan has exceeded their saki consumption! The citizenry of Japan as a whole, need to 'get a grip.'

Thanks your attention:flowers::

Perhaps we Japanese have been troubled and suffered from so-called
"Traditional Custom, " however, it seemed to change very dramatically since 311, Tohoku-Kanto Disaster, against Tradition.

According to an Imperial Time flow, Princess Aiko had been almost determined as a female successor of Emperor, before six years, against Male-Successor-Tradition. However at that moment, Akishino Family, lower brother of CP Naruhito, has intervened and destroyed their Imperial Time Flow with male-pregnant notice, a calculated artificial operation, like a movie scene.

Now we become pretty liberal to discuss and change inconvenient situations, like as Justice with Michael Sandel, Harvard.

For example, so-called "Future Emperor," a son of Akishino family, has failed Chakko-no-Gi, an obliged celebration for Future Emperor before five-year-old. Plus, he seems to have some handicaps to insist "Future Emperor," because too much complicated and too much busy job as for the Emperor Activities now.

Thanks your attention:flowers::

For example, so-called "Future Emperor," a son of Akishino family, has failed Chakko-no-Gi, an obliged celebration for Future Emperor before five-year-old. Plus, he seems to have some handicaps to insist "Future Emperor," because too much complicated and too much busy job as for the Emperor Activities now.

I don't understand; are you saying that little Hisahito is handicapped in some way?
He doesn't appear to be in his photographs.

From what I have seen and read the crown Prince,Masako and Aiko seem fine as a family .Very sweet and close.It the outside pressures that create problems.It's sad but I hope they stick together.

What does Prince Hisahito have to do with the topic of this thread?

It took Masako years to have her daughter and she wasn't in her mid 40s during that time. It should be accepted that Masako will only have one child. Now that a boy has been born to Kiko, I believe there is no longer a need to stress Masako to have another child at her age; even if it is possible and safe to do so.

Myabe if Masako were moved to a less stressful living environment, she could probably relax enough to be artificially insemnated and then carry a kid full term. If the sex were medicinally arranged, then she could figure out how to carry a child full term and then give birth with little to no stress since the outcome is predetermined.

Myabe if Masako were moved to a less stressful living environment, she could probably relax enough to be artificially insemnated and then carry a kid full term. If the sex were medicinally arranged, then she could figure out how to carry a child full term and then give birth with little to no stress since the outcome is predetermined.

Don't you think that has been tried in the past?

(It's been rumored that's the way Hisahito was conceived.)

Again, Masako's age as well as her previous pregnancy history points to the unlikelihood that she will ever become pregnant again, whether she is moved to a less stressful environment or not. PLUS after so many years of marriage I am sure, like Mirabel said, that various procedures have been tried to get Masako pregnant throughout the years.

Back
Top Bottom