The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-23-2007, 07:47 PM
Royal Highness
TRF Author

But there really are a "Princess Masako's faction" and a "Princess Kiko's faction"? I mean in Japan...I certainly find it in Royal Forums (this one and others)...But this is a reality in Japan? Does both sisters-in-law have some unfriendly ways the one toward the other? Or that's only in the press (mostly Yellow Press)? I have no clue there...

Vanesa.

Old 09-24-2007, 02:55 PM
Heir Apparent

Japan is possibly the most peculiar and enigmatic country: never has my mind been filled with so many antagonistic comparisons for something that I am deeply attracted to. Furthermore, Japan places individuals in the setting of fast-paced developments in the society at large (Internet, cellular phones, and cutting-edge technical innovations) that are governed by ancient cultural traditions and norms. In other words, it conveys an image of a young woman dressed in a traditional kimono with a cellphone to me.
The birth of Prince Hisahito might be viewed as an unchallenged triumph of the IHA that obviously had no intentions to give up on securing the succession line in a traditional manner. I am not sure, if the IHA ever welcome an idea of having a female as a head of the Imperial Family.
Being inevitable part of the life cycle, changes do not happen with the wave of a magic wand. Japanese politicians will certainly return to this topical issue and may introduce the required changes to the succession rules. My only concern is that politicians may shy away from any confrontations with the IHA by crafting reforms in a way that will not change anything much in the current situation. For example, a daughter of future Emperor Hisahito may have right to succeed her father. Thus, I do hope that these reforms will allow Princess Aiko to become an Empress.

Old 09-24-2007, 08:09 PM
Royal Highness
TRF Author

But..there INDEED exist two factions, one following Crownprincess Masako and other, Princess Kiko? I'm curious about that ...

Vanesa.
Old 09-24-2007, 11:20 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanesa View Post
But..there INDEED exist two factions, one following Crownprincess Masako and other, Princess Kiko? I'm curious about that ...

Vanesa.
Vanesa,
I believe that only members that live in Japan can cast the light upon this situation and provide more accurate information.
Old 09-25-2007, 01:32 PM
Commoner

Smile with some respect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte1 View Post
Both Akihito and Naruhito had the experience of women they were interested in finding a reason to leave Japan to avoid them.

There is also the pressure of all the female princesses marrying 'out' so Hisahito in all likelihood would be the only Imperial Family member around. The succession laws will change, not in the next 5 years but give it 10 to 15 years and there will be a change, the future of the Imperial Family is dependent on it.

Really Michiko, now Empress, and Masako, now Crown Princess, are our heroins in our Constitutional monarchy system. Because Tenno or Emperor had been God in Japanese long history untill the end of World War II, and Hirohito, the former Emperor, had just publicly denied and terminated his divinity, at unconditional surrender of Potsdam declaration.

Then who want to be canary in the cage, rather divine and the most difficult place ever before? It must be very natural to avoid or refuse or escape, from such situation, especially for commoner.

But finally, both Michiko and Masako have accepted their sincere propose, and at the same time, they have devoted themselves. Therefore, at least, Michiko and Masako have to be happy in the Imperial Family!
Old 09-25-2007, 07:16 PM
Royal Highness
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_bina View Post
Vanesa,
I believe that only members that live in Japan can cast the light upon this situation and provide more accurate information.

I think you are right Al_bina...and I was looking for Japanese members to answer this issue.

Vanesa.
Old 12-10-2007, 12:21 AM
Nobility

Cool PLEASE ... do not take this the wrong way. Thank you :)

You know, I really do like reading about Masako and other "Commoners" who elect to marry into Royal Regimes.
But, I cannot help but think that Masako is smart enough to KNOW that she must do more and more to promote her new Family, rather than continue to hide and make excuses for NOT doing enough for it.
I sympathise with her, and her plight.
But, I also feel that she must think very strongly about just bucking up and getting on with it, now. She's been allowed the luxury of being in treatment for her "adjustment disorder" for a few years now, and I think things are getting down to the wire. Either, she is getting truly better and will be contributory, or ... she must get out altogether, if she see herself as being unfit, overall to fulfill her duties.

It is, as they say, "fish or cut bait" time.
Old 12-10-2007, 02:27 PM
Heir Presumptive

I dont think she's hiding in the prison, I mean palace. I think she's not allowed out by the IHA and that's what her 'disorder' is. It's very unfortunate, because with a Harvard MBA and a back ground in diplomacy she could have been a wonderful asset to the Imperial family and the country.
Old 12-10-2007, 05:56 PM
Royal Highness
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRH Abigail View Post
You know, I really do like reading about Masako and other "Commoners" who elect to marry into Royal Regimes.
But, I cannot help but think that Masako is smart enough to KNOW that she must do more and more to promote her new Family, rather than continue to hide and make excuses for NOT doing enough for it.
But, I also feel that she must think very strongly about just bucking up and getting on with it, now. She's been allowed the luxury of being in treatment for her "adjustment disorder" for a few years now, and I think things are getting down to the wire. Either, she is getting truly better and will be contributory, or ... she must get out altogether, if she see herself as being unfit, overall to fulfill her duties.

I think the same than you, Abigail. And I also think that it is not fair to born ourselves to blame the IHA permanently. This institution might be guilty of some things, but couldn't be the ONLY responsible of Princess Masako's state. I think she is smart, but also too much delicate, and delicate and nervous persons are ill-equiped to fight the kind of problems that a public person must face.

Princess Masako must have known that she should not be a private person any more , the day she married Prince Naruhito and that it will be persons who should support her and others that just wouldn't. Every single public person has enemies. We must accept that fact.

This is one of the reasons I don't like too much "commoners" (my...what ugly this word is...even if being a commoner is not a bad thing! ) marrying Royals. Most of them (not all of them) only sees the glamourizing aspect of the thing, without thinking about the natural troubles that being a Royal could bring. Royals who are born Royals, are used to see papparazzies around them, and curious people wanting to know more and more about their public (and private! ) lives. This is a fact too...and can't be left aside. Most of these new princess are nervous, fragile and wanting to be "independent". They doesn't understand they are NOT independent any more. They are there to serve their new countries and to play their characters well.

However, I think that Princess Masako has a lot of intelligence to turn things in her favor. She could be an excellent Princess if she wants. It depends on HER. Blaming the IHA as the big demon will not help her. She must be more powerful than any institution acting as she must act. Then, people will laugh at IHA and don't pay any more attention to it. But the Princess must be STRONG to be loved and respected by her nation. She must show how strong she is.

I hope she could overcome her stress and making herself a loved Princess among Japanese people. Only this way, she could be revered as an Empress.

Vanesa.
Old 12-10-2007, 08:26 PM
Heir Presumptive

So I take it that you think that if Masako were to announce that she was going to Rome/Paris/London for xyz reason, she would be 'allowed' to get on the plane? When was the last time she left Japan, does anyone have the date?
Old 12-10-2007, 08:46 PM
Royal Highness

I would guess that the last time she left Japan was in August 2006 for the trip to the Netherlands. She and her family were guests of Queen Beatrix. CP Masako's father is a judge in The Hague.
Old 12-10-2007, 10:58 PM
Heir Presumptive

Here's my thought. You dont get to be a Harvard MBA by being a shy, retiring , depressed little wallflower. Anyone who gets in and stays the course there is a tough, smart determined person. How she went from there to here is open to speculation.
Old 12-11-2007, 08:30 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter View Post
Here's my thought. You dont get to be a Harvard MBA by being a shy, retiring , depressed little wallflower. Anyone who gets in and stays the course there is a tough, smart determined person. How she went from there to here is open to speculation.
Masako isn't a Harvard MBA. She did her undergraduate's degree at Harvard and graduated 'cum laude' not the higher 'summa cum laude'. She attended Harvard and stayed in the US alone after her parents were posted back to Japan as having spent 2 years out of the Japanese education system she wouldn't have been able to get high enough grades in the Japanese public university entrance exams to be accepted into a top Japanese university. Harvard was pretigious and possible for her to enter, Tokyo University ( her father's old university and Japan's top public university) wasn't likely to be an option. After spending 2 years out of the Japanese education system, it limited her to a foreign university rather than a Japanese one.
Masako did embark on post-graduate study at Oxford but never completed her Masters.
From the accounts of people who knew her, Masako was the stereotypical studious Japanese student, she spent her vacations doing homestays in France and Germany to improve her language skills. She wasn't tough or determined, just very studious and school focused.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:04 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
I dont think she's hiding in the prison, I mean palace. I think she's not allowed out by the IHA and that's what her 'disorder' is. It's very unfortunate, because with a Harvard MBA and a back ground in diplomacy she could have been a wonderful asset to the Imperial family and the country.
sadly true the video looked forced. their smiles are totally fake, the whole thing seems solemn and sad. some of the photos remind me of the romanov's chopping wood looking "normal" during their captivity before execution.
Old 12-11-2007, 12:00 PM
Aristocracy
Royal Blogger

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRH Abigail View Post

Please, donīt get me wrong either.
But this woman is diagnosed with an ILLNESS. If she had a problem to carry out her duties because of (say) breast cancer would you also say she should better get a divorce and get out of the way because she is obviously too sensitive for the job she has undertaken? Of course, we all wish to see her strong and healthy and fit to have an impact on the imperial family in a positive way, maybe trying to support working women like her sister-in-law does. (I am not choosing to take sides. I admire both of them.) But it is a bit unfair (and very easy for us) to say she should just try harder. Again: you donīt recover from a serious illness like hers or like cancer or aids or whatever by just trying and being a nice girl.
I am very, very glad that everything went well with Kikoīs pregnancy although it didnīt look so well for a time. BUT: If she actually HAD lost her baby it wouldnīt have been her fault either. It would have been only one very, very sad story with nobody to blame. You also need a bit of luck in order to be successful.
Old 12-11-2007, 05:27 PM
Royal Highness
TRF Author

Quote:
So I take it that you think that if Masako were to announce that she was going to Rome/Paris/London for xyz reason, she would be 'allowed' to get on the plane? When was the last time she left Japan, does anyone have the date?
Maybe not (but I don't believe they don't let her go). But if IHA forbiddes it after Princess Masako having announced she should travel...hummm. It could be very dangerous for them and people could begin to make fun on them.

If you only supposes that someone is forbidding the Princess doing what she want it's a thing. And could be people (like me), who doesn't buy she isn't allowed to travel. But KNOWING it for sure is another different thing. If IHA SAIDS PUBLICLY she can't go, the effects could be very dangerous for this Institution.

Vanesa.
Old 12-11-2007, 05:40 PM
Royal Highness
TRF Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiaraC View Post
Please, donīt get me wrong either.
But this woman is diagnosed with an ILLNESS. If she had a problem to carry out her duties because of (say) breast cancer would you also say she should better get a divorce and get out of the way because she is obviously too sensitive for the job she has undertaken? Of course, we all wish to see her strong and healthy and fit to have an impact on the imperial family in a positive way, maybe trying to support working women like her sister-in-law does. (I am not choosing to take sides. I admire both of them.) But it is a bit unfair (and very easy for us) to say she should just try harder. Again: you donīt recover from a serious illness like hers or like cancer or aids or whatever by just trying and being a nice girl.
I am very, very glad that everything went well with Kikoīs pregnancy although it didnīt look so well for a time. BUT: If she actually HAD lost her baby it wouldnīt have been her fault either. It would have been only one very, very sad story with nobody to blame. You also need a bit of luck in order to be successful.

Did I say she must divorce? Maybe she was mistaken marrying the Crownprince, but facts are facts and here they are. She already married him. So she MUST try to get along with her task too. And I never liked divorce, so, I can't understand how my English could be so bad you understood I was proposing the Princess to divorce.

And if we must speak about her illness, don't forget that nervous illness are EMOTIONAL, so we can do something about them with a little of our own will. Psychologic experts can help you a little, but if you don't try to overcome youe emotional problems they will never be solved.

A physical disease is different. cancer could kill you and no psychologic expert could even help you. They could do the better to help you to accept the illness and help yo to acceot it and try to fight it. It's the same for a miscarriage. Your body is the only responsible for physical illness, even if they have a psychologic origine. Stress is psychosomatic and all emotional illness depends somewhat in your attitude facing life.

I DO thing, yes, that if Princess Masako tried to be "a nice girl" things will be better. I tried it myself in life, and believe me, I'm happier now than when I believed that everybody (except me) where responsible of my sadness and problems. I began to be nicer than I was to people and surprisingly to me IT WORKED! All that psychologic expert couldn't do for me, my own attitude toward life DID. I'm very happy and even feel better physically. I repeat: it works. All of us have a lot of psychological pressions from our friends, family, work-mates, etc. All of us could choice between trying to be nice and help others or have a nervous breakdown. I choice the first option. Being cheerful to others, brings happiness to your own life.

Vanesa.
Old 12-11-2007, 08:03 PM
Majesty

It's nice to know that we have some psychiatrists who think Masako should buck up and move on! Perhaps they could also suggest to the little grey men of IHA that they release their infernal grip on Masako.

There is no telling who's idea it is (the IHA or Masaka, but I'd wager money on the IHA) when Masako is not assigned any event or her events are canceled. I'd never trust the IHA to act in Masako's best interest as the IHA's main interest is to control. As of late, their prize pet is Akishino (and his family) who gets assigned the choicest royal duties. One has to wonder, if Masako has perhaps fully recovered from her illness, but the IHA is merely trying to make her appear as the weakest link in the family.
Old 12-12-2007, 10:11 AM
Serene Highness

well said mandy. the iha has been trying to destroy her since she married. they fear losing their grip on the total power they have over the royal family. they don't want masako to get better, she's easy to handle as an emotional "wreck" and they can manipulate events to their advantage. the IHA always looks out for their own interest and power and could really care less the damage they've done to both the empress and princess masako. It's a joke they care a whit about anything but their power. they have no honor and have brought shame to the royal house with their lies and manipulations.
Old 12-12-2007, 10:25 AM
Gentry

Abigail,I think masako is TRYING to make a comeback to her official duty.
In fact, she DID her official duty more often than last year.
Maybe it's difference of opinion between you and me.
I don't think she is 'lazy,selfish' woman!

she takes medical treatment by her doctor,and getting better 'slowly but surely'.
It suggest she will 'promote her new Family' sooner or later.
Aren't you pleased with this???

Tags
crown prince naruhito, crown princess masako, divorce, masako, naruhito, prince naruhito, princess masako