Crown Princess Masako's adjustment disorder

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sure there are the funds to treat her. The question still remains, are they allowing her to be treated. We don't know what goes on behind palace walls. The IHA even picks out her clothing, what makes you think they will allow her to be treated by physicians when its better to leave her as an embarassment so the road is paved for Akihito and Hisahito. Much cleaner that way. No crazy talk about allowing a woman on the throne.

For all we know, her being a smart woman put her in disfavor with the IHA in the first place. Now that they have broken her, why not leave her untreated and unpopular so Kiko's star can rise. After all, she is the heirs mother, not Masako.

I don't know

Sure there are the funds to treat her. The question still remains, are they allowing her to be treated.

ARE there? As you wisely pointed out, we do NOT know what goes on behind those palace walls. Are they funds being put aside to treat her?
I wonder ...

We don't know what goes on behind palace walls. The IHA even picks out her clothing, what makes you think they will allow her to be treated by physicians when its better to leave her as an embarassment so the road is paved for Akihito and Hisahito. Much cleaner that way. No crazy talk about allowing a woman on the throne.
Oof-dah! I don't think The IHA ACTUALLY selects her clothing! That seems to me to be a bit over-the-top, and preposterous, to me, no offence. I think Designers come to The Palace (that she and Naru inhabit), and show her their creations which they think will suit her and the demands of her "job". Then, within certain strictures and guidelines, as priour set forth by The palace, Masako-Sama makes her choices. Even in this day and age, I cannot fathom where Masako would ever permit anyone to chose what she wears! And, I can see Naru throwing a "hissy", too.

Also, I have to take issue with your thinking that The IHA might prefer to have Masako be their embarrassing "foil" (if you will) so that Naruhito's Bro and his wife can take the reigns of Royal "leadership" when the time comes. I don't think so, only because I cannot IMAGINE anyone thinking so distortedly.

For all we know, her being a smart woman put her in disfavor with the IHA in the first place.
I can ASSURE you of this: If The IHA did NOT want Naru to marry Masako, they would have put their collective foot down, and THAT would have been that!
They would not have allowed such a Union to transpire.
Remember now, that The current Emperor and Empress LOBBIED so hard, for Masako's inclusion into the family only AFTER having met with her and her family repeatedly, before the engagement was approved, let alone announced to The Media! They vetted her and her family, her background TOOTH and NAIL.

Now that they have broken her, why not leave her untreated and unpopular so Kiko's star can rise. After all, she is the heirs mother, not Masako.
However they have NOT, as you put it, "broken" Masako! They haven't. She's has some setbacks, but she is far from being "broken".
Her affliction / her condition IS treatable!

-- Abbie

You can't wait & wait & wait forever for someone to "get with the program" especially when there are FUNDS available to TREAT Masako AND she can go anywhere in the WHOLE WORLD that she elects to, to GET the HELP she needs!

You are the one who said there were funds available.

Oof-dah! I don't think The IHA ACTUALLY selects her clothing! That seems to me to be a bit over-the-top, and preposterous, to me, no offence. I think Designers come to The Palace (that she and Naru inhabit), and show her their creations which they think will suit her and the demands of her "job". Then, within certain strictures and guidelines, as priour set forth by The palace, Masako-Sama makes her choices. Even in this day and age, I cannot fathom where Masako would ever permit anyone to chose what she wears! And, I can see Naru throwing a "hissy", too.

Well, they may not pick out each item, but as you yourself admit, they set down the strictures and guidelines, so in the end, what is the difference?

Also, I have to take issue with your thinking that The IHA might prefer to have Masako be their embarrassing "foil" (if you will) so that Naruhito's Bro and his wife can take the reigns of Royal "leadership" when the time comes. I don't think so, only because I cannot IMAGINE anyone thinking so distortedly

You can take issue with it if you like, but there is no ignoring the fact that Akihito and Kiko are seen at official functions more frequently, photographed more frequently and reported on more favorably in the media than the CROWN PRINCE since Hisahitos birth. This is simply not done in Japanese palace protocol under normal circumstances where everyone knows perfectly well what their place is.

I can ASSURE you of this: If The IHA did NOT want Naru to marry Masako, they would have put their collective foot down, and THAT would have been that!
They would not have allowed such a Union to transpire.
Remember now, that The current Emperor and Empress LOBBIED so hard, for Masako's inclusion into the family only AFTER having met with her and her family repeatedly, before the engagement was approved, let alone announced to The Media! They vetted her and her family, her background TOOTH and NAIL.

I don't believe that I ever said that the IHA didn't want Naruhito to marry Masako. On the contrary, it is said that their meeting was engineered by the IHA along with several other candidates. What I believe might have transpired was Masako asserting herself AFTER the marriage and thus falling out of favor with the IHA when it was seen that she would not toe the line as a meek little consort. Also, you shouldn't confuse the Emperor and the Empress with the IHA. They are certainly not the same thing. Don't forget that Michiko also succumbed to a mental illness from the pressure exerted on her, but she was given much more freedom to move around after she provided two heirs.

However they have NOT, as you put it, "broken" Masako! They haven't. She's has some setbacks, but she is far from being "broken".
Her affliction / her condition IS treatable!

Here we are just going to have to continue to disagree. Of course her condition is treatable. I just don't think that the powers that be want her treated.

The conservatives in Japan don't want to consider putting Masako's daughter on the Imperial throne. While the Japanese people as a whole are more in favor of this idea (at least they were before Hisahitos birth), the men in power are completely against it. Masako having a mental illness is shameful in their culture and promoting it so publicly is an intentional stab at her. Japan isn't the West. While talking about someone's mental illness here is met either with compassion or disinterest, it's a real black mark on a person there. All the more argument they have to bypass public opinion in favor of Hisahito being recognized with definite finality as the one and only heir. Why take the chance of having a woman on the throne who might be prone to mental illness? The accusations have already begun against Aiko. My aunt and cousins, who are Japanese and live outside of Tokyo, have told me that there are rumors of Aiko being retarded not so quietly whispered about in circles.

Last edited:
For Masako to be without a boy would have been the same as Princess of Wales without any children at all. This kind of pressure can kill some women. There are many cultures where women commit suicide because they have only produced girls and the extended family members were relentless in their requirement for a boy. I can ONLY IMAGINE how it must feel for her with this weight. It might be lifted a small tad with the nephew's presence now, but it is still disappointing to the IHA and public that Masako has not had a male heir for her husband.

Gender is determined by the father/sperm. They should decide where to truly throw blame.

R.

Have any of your tried to "treat" a broken heart?

Everyone can be suffering of any illness there is in the world. Royalty doesn't protect you from them. But I think that before we are speculating all time about what this princess or another could be suffering from, we need to have the OFFICIAL communicate of OFFICIAL doctors about their health, emotional or physicall.

The sad truth is that we doesn't know nothing real about them. We have only rumors. And we already know what rumors does when they are spread and they are false. :neutral:

The only thing we can speak about is proved facts...And we have sooo little here!

Vanesa.

Everyone can be suffering of any illness there is in the world. Royalty doesn't protect you from them. But I think that before we are speculating all time about what this princess or another could be suffering from, we need to have the OFFICIAL communicate of OFFICIAL doctors about their health, emotional or physicall.

The sad truth is that we doesn't know nothing real about them. We have only rumors. And we already know what rumors does when they are spread and they are false. :neutral:

The only thing we can speak about is proved facts...And we have sooo little here!

Vanesa.

The IHA is notoriously private about Princess Masako's illness and most other personal things. The most we ever get is vague mumblings about an "adjustment disorder." I doubt they'd ever make a clear statement regarding her mental health.

Then, there are reports that when they went to the Netherlands, they were asked to do some public duties as well, but they refused, but then went to all kinds of private meetings. (This I from what I hear where some of the anger is coming from.)

I don't quite understand what you meant here. Could you elaborate on that?
The CP couple were supposed to do public duties in the Netherlands?
They were invited to a dinner hosted by the Dutch Royal Family, but Masako couldn't attend it because she was sick(Naruhito did). I don't have any recollection of their refusing public duties in the country.

I thought it was supposed to be a private visit anyway, which means there wouldn't have been much if anything in the way of public duties scheduled.

I just don't understand why it would be a bad thing if Naruhito were to stand aside in favor of his brother?
If Masako is mentally ill, then she'd be unable to fulfill her duties as Empress.
And if she isn't, then apparently she isn't interested in fulfilling her duties.

Either way, she would be better off in private life where there wouldn't be so much pressure.
It seems as if the Emperor is closer to his younger son anyway. So why couldn't Naruhito step aside? Wouldn't everyone be happier if he did?

The Crown Prince was raized to become an Emperor.
Why would he be happy not to fullfil the goal of his life?

Because of the unhappiness it is causing his family?
His wife seems miserable in that lifestyle, and he has said he intends to support her.

Perhaps he should reconsider whether his goal is compatible with his family's happiness.

...His wife seems miserable in that lifestyle, and he has said he intends to support her...

The Crown Princess does not seem 'miserable' in the recent photos, and HIH the Princess Toshi looks adorable.
See post # 253 - picture posted by iceflower

The Crown Princely couple are happy family, since the wife has all care and support of her husband.
And since you are not an insider, your allegations about their 'unhappy family life' are only allegations.:)

The Crown Princess does not seem 'miserable' in the recent photos, and HIH the Princess Toshi looks adorable.
See post # 253 - picture posted by iceflower

The Crown Princely couple are happy family, since the wife has all care and support of her husband.
And since you are not an insider, your allegations about their 'unhappy family life' are only allegations.:)

Perhaps that is so, but Naruhito must do all these trips and other duties alone. And this has been the case for years now. It is said Masako is ill but no one seems to know what is the matter. Their daughter is still reluctant to attend school.

That does not look like a happy situation.

I think that Crown Prince Naruhito shouldn't step aside because a)becoming Emperor is his birthright; and b) he hasn't done anything unethical or immoral.

The current Empress had nervous breakdowns and yet seems to be admired and respected. I don't see any reason why Crown Prince Masako can't be the same one day, providing she continues to receive treatment and take on tasks as she's able.

I just don't understand why it would be a bad thing if Naruhito were to stand aside in favor of his brother?

I don't know a lot about the imperial family of Japan. But apparently Masako's mother-in-law, her predecessor, also went kind of nuts because of the way things were handled when she married into the family.
Naruhito, stepping aside, would be like saying he did something wrong when he hasn't.

I don't know a lot about the imperial family of Japan. But apparently Masako's mother-in-law, her predecessor, also went kind of nuts because of the way things were handled when she married into the family.

But the current Empress' breakdown lasted only a very short time, not years and years. It is a totally different situation, imo. :flowers:

^but the empress produced 2 males, the monarchy was safe.
and masako didnt, she had only one daughter, and for a monarchy who only allows males to reign, i bet its a pain in the ass to get bad publicity and lots of pressure before Hisahito was born!

also, Masako seems to be more happy nowadays, shes been visiting the victims of the great earthquake. the royal family has an heir right now, so she gets less pressure finally!
and we must not forget, that japanese crown princesses have not the same duties as others westerns. she is not suppose to have charity organizations, attend events and such. her role is to support her husband and be by his side!

Last edited:
... Naruhito, stepping aside, would be like saying he did something wrong when he hasn't.
Well said, XeniaCasaraghi!:flowers: Nothing much to add on the topic.
... japanese crown princesses have not the same duties as others westerns. she is not suppose to have charity organizations, attend events and such. her role is to support her husband and be by his side!
That is not accurate.
The Imperial princesses have a lot of charity work, Japanese Red Cross, for example.
Just lurk through the official site of the Imperial family.

At the risk of sounding heartless, I have had problems in the past and she has no business not starting to take charge of what aspects of her life she can. If she's sick, she's likely at this point not helping herself. It sounds like it's really hard on Aiko and she has to figure out some way of adjusting and accepting her life. She needs to get to Naruhito's side or walk away. If it's killing her, she needs to break away. There is no more pressure for her to have and heir and she has been seen out at restaurants and not doing duties in the past. Time for her ot whip herself into shape.

Or perhaps she's more ill than any of us realize.

Perhaps, but when she is seen in public, she doesn't appear to be ill.

(I know that doesn't mean much; she could still have a psychological disorder, but I think it would be to her advantage to be more forthcoming about it).

The Japanese Imperial family is not going to discuss such issue in public much. The IHA oversees a flow of information between the Imperial family and the Japanese. More details about Crown Princess Masako's health condition will be provided to the public at large whenever the IHA deems it necessary/appropriate.

Last edited:
These things cannot be hurried, whether in the West or in the East !

People cannot "jump over their own shadow"...

If Masako has been out in public with her husband than it would appear she is doing her job and is taking control of her life, so what's the problem? She didn't produce a son, so that must be a sore point for her, but thankfully the family does have a male heir now so at least some pressure is off Masako. I can't help feeling for the woman because a) her mother in law went bonkers also and b) she turned down the marriage proposal a lot before finally saying yes.

People with disorders can function well for periods of time, especially with the help of medication. For all we know, she could take a mild sedative before she appears in public.

Possibly the reason that her illness isn't discussed in depth is that it would be embarrassing for her and her family. For a person who suffers from an emotional or mental problem, knowing that other people know can increase anxiety. Also, she might have a problem that has resulted in occasionally strange or bizarre behaviour. I have a friend who has a dissociative disorder, for example. People make cruel remarks about her without understanding what it was that caused her problem or how hard she's worked to overcome her symptoms.

I get the impression that some people think that CP Masako simply has a case of "bad nerves," and all she has to do is "pull herself up by her bootstraps" and all will be well; but I think that it could be something much more serious than that. I'm of this opinion because it's taken her so long to recover and be able to do foreign visits and more appearances in Japan.

Perhaps, but when she is seen in public, she doesn't appear to be ill.

(I know that doesn't mean much; she could still have a psychological disorder, but I think it would be to her advantage to be more forthcoming about it).

On a French Tv programme they mentioned that Masako's illness intensified with the birth of her nephew ,who will be the next Emperor instead of her daughter Aiko.I wonder if that's true.

If Masako has been out in public with her husband than it would appear she is doing her job and is taking control of her life, so what's the problem?

But, is she out in public with her husband? I know Masako made one or two appearances to console victims of the earthquake; is she still doing that, or was that the extent of her public outings?

Has she truly resumed public life or did she make a few token appearances and then go back into hiding?

On a French Tv programme they mentioned that Masako's illness intensified with the birth of her nephew ,who will be the next Emperor instead of her daughter Aiko.I wonder if that's true.

It is certainly very unfair and to an accomplished woman like the Crown Princess such a sexist policy must seem positively antediluvian.:bang:

Back
Top Bottom