Crown Prince Naruhito Current Events Part 2: January 2018 - April 2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
CP Naruhito's last lecture was titled "Faced with historical materials - Reflecting on 40 years of research life" where he spoke about his research experiences at Gakushuin University, Oxford University, and the importance of reading many historical materials.

About 160 students attended the ~80 minute lecture. At the end of the lecture, CP Naruhito wished the students well on their studies and life. He also quoted Anne of Green Gables "I don't know what lies around the bend, but I'm going to believe that the best does."

His 14 lectures since 2003:

2003 - On Society and Culture in the UK
2005 - On Student Life at Oxford
2006 - Water transport in the Middle Ages
2008 - Learning from Oxford University
2009 - Research life at Oxford
2010 - Ox carriage portraits
2011 - Global water and sanitation problem
2012 - Water Disaster and its History - Focusing on Earthquakes and Tsunami Disasters
2013 - Connection between Angkor Wat and Japan
2014 - Introducing Medieval historical materials - Saionji family documents at Gakushuin University Museum of History
2015 - Oxford University study abroad experience
2016 - World water and sanitation problems and future issues
2017 - Joys of Mountaineering
2019 - Faced with historical materials - Reflecting on 40 years of research life

Hopefully the lectures will at least be partly translated one day. It seems obvious that he is truly drawn to water issues and history and did not merely elect to study them because they are uncontentious. :flowers: I wonder why he must end these lectures: simply because he will be too busy?

It is interesting that he quoted Anne of Green Gables ...

Last edited:
But it's a very positive quote; even from fictional characters we may learn something and future Emperor clearly understands that too.

But it's a very positive quote; even from fictional characters we may learn something and future Emperor clearly understands that too.

Yes, it is, but my guess is that a typical ultranationalist or one of Masako's harsher detractors, for instance, would not have chosen to quote the same book. (But that is only my guess.)

Last edited:

Crown Prince Naruhito met with Qatar's Emir Tamim bin Hamad al-Thani at a hotel in Tokyo today, January 30:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 **

I understand that the Japanese have a particular fascination and love of the Anne of Green Gables (Anne Shirley) character. I live in Canada's Maritime Provinces. Whenever I see Japanese tourists I think, "I wonder whether they're on their way to Green Gables?" :flowers:

Hopefully the lectures will at least be partly translated one day. It seems obvious that he is truly drawn to water issues and history and did not merely elect to study them because they are uncontentious. :flowers: I wonder why he must end these lectures: simply because he will be too busy?

It is interesting that he quoted Anne of Green Gables ...

On February 6th, CP Naruhito enjoyed a performance of Richard Wagner's Tannhäuser at the New National Theatre in Shibuya Ward, Tokyo. He stayed for over 4 hours. It is his 3rd time appreciating the popular opera; he attended with CP Masako in 1996 and solo in 2013. CP Naruhito said he wishes to come again when asked about future attendance.

Sankei Imperial Weekly #577

https://www.sankei.com/images/news/190208/lif1902080003-p11.jpg
https://www.sankei.com/images/news/190208/lif1902080003-p14.jpg

Last edited:
I understand that the Japanese have a particular fascination and love of the Anne of Green Gables (Anne Shirley) character. I live in Canada's Maritime Provinces. Whenever I see Japanese tourists I think, "I wonder whether they're on their way to Green Gables?" :flowers:

Interesting, thank you. Have you any idea what qualities of the character most define her popularity in Japan?

Crown Prince Naruhito has met with Austria's Chancellor Sebastian Kurz at Togu Palace in Tokyo today, February 15:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 **

Abe has rare audience with crown prince ahead of accession in May - The Mainichi
Prime Minister Shinzo Abe had a rare audience with Crown Prince Naruhito on Friday in the prince's residence [...]

During the meeting in the Akasaka Estate in Tokyo's Minato Ward, Abe is believed to have explained to the crown prince a series of events between the abdication of his father, Emperor Akihito, on April 30 and his ascent to the Chrysanthemum Throne the following day.

[...]

A Japanese prime minister regularly meets with an emperor to explain affairs at home and abroad. Abe last met with Emperor Akihito on Thursday.

[...]

Crown Prince Naruhito turns 59 on February 23rd.

Asahi, Asahi 2, Mainichi

Galleries include photos of CP Naruhito guiding Misato Michishita in June 2018; she’s the silver medalist in the visually impaired women’s marathon at the 2016 Rio Paralympic Games. Other photos were taken on February 17th and the press conference on February 21st.

ETA: fixed links

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: eya
:previous: I'm sure that part of it is the red hair! ? Other than that, I don't know. Perhaps there's a Japanese person who could further enlighten us. :flowers:

Here's an article on the Anne phenomenon you might enjoy, Tatiana Marie: https://www.huffingtonpost.com/terry-dawes/anne-of-green-gables-japan_b_4899252.html

Thank you! The article was enlightening, especially the below:

An older friend of his sister handed him a freshly published copy of Akage no An (“Red Haired Anne,” as she’s called in Japanese). Everyone read it. The story of an unwanted orphan struggling to find her place in the world struck a chord in post-Second World War Japan.

[...]

Most people, if you ask them how they know Akage no An, will tell you that they saw her on TV. The 1979 anime, released by Nippon Animation Co., and directed by Isao Takahata with an assist from future anime legend Hayao Miyazaki, has played on Japanese television more or less continuously for decades. March sees its release on Blu-ray.

As I said in my earlier message, I think the aloof emperor wanted by ultra-nationalists would be unlikely to feel too close to an "unwanted orphan struggling to find her place in the world". But in view of Naruhito's own struggles, and in spite of the imperial privilege he has lived with, it is easy to see why he does.

Crown Prince Naruhito's busy September 13th:
- Lycee Jean de la Fontaine were he observed a Japanese lesson and met some students and faculty.
- Jakuchu exhibition and tea ceremony at Petit Palais
- Press conference after Petit Palais visit
- Shochiku Grand Kabuki performance at Palais de Chaillot
- Théâtre National de Chaillot where he activated a light show on the Eiffel Tower to mark the 160th anniversary of diplomatic relations

At Lycee Jean de la Fontaine, the lesson discussed Japan and the Olympic Games. While chatting with students learning Japanese, he replied French that he studied French in high school but cannot speak it so well. When a teacher said there's no homework during summer vacation, CP Naruhito said he cannot tell Aiko that. [Sankei]

:lol:

The accompanying article is about France-Japan friendship and mentions CP Naruhito studying French and was able use it for speeches and chats. He spoke to President Macron in English without needing a translator. CP Naruhito is also learning Spanish.

It is interesting that he is studying European languages rather than Asian ones, though perhaps he has additionally studied the latter.

His Imperial Highness the Crown Prince Grants Audience to Participants in the JICA Knowledge Co-Creation Program | News | News & Features | JICA

Participants' impressions
Ms. Hazel Nkagisang Reaitsanye
(Deputy permanent secretary, Corporate Services, Ministry of Health and Wellness, Botswana)

[...] This occasion gave us each an opportunity to represent our country in conveying gratitude for Japan's assistance. We further shared with him the benefits of the program and what we learned from it. We said we were impressed with the way work is done in Japan, namely the timeliness, cleanliness and orderliness. His Imperial Highness shared with us his experiences in some of their countries, especially with the local cuisine, and greeted one participant in his African language. It was an honor we will never forget.

That was considerate of him.

On December 1st, Crown Prince Naruhito attended a lecture of the Japan Alpine Club in Shinjuku, Tokyo. Professor Emeritus at Kobe University, Kazumasa Hirai (87) spoke about first ascent of Chogolisa II in the Kakakoram region of Pakistan in 1958.

CP Naruhito did not attend the dinner because his daughter Princess Aiko's birthday celebration was the same evening. [Jiji]

Interesting. I wonder whether this was a close family celebration or if the Japanese royals hold large private birthday parties as in many other royal families.

CP Naruhto joined the concert at the second song, Mendelssohn's "Violin Concerto in E Minor". CP Masako and Princess Aiko were in the audience, seated separately. Aiko sat with friends on the first level while Masako was on the second level. After the concert, guest violinists surprised Masako with a birthday song.

Sources: Sankei, Jiji

On February 6th, CP Naruhito enjoyed a performance of Richard Wagner's Tannhäuser at the New National Theatre in Shibuya Ward, Tokyo. He stayed for over 4 hours. It is his 3rd time appreciating the popular opera; he attended with CP Masako in 1996 and solo in 2013. CP Naruhito said he wishes to come again when asked about future attendance.

Sankei Imperial Weekly #577

https://www.sankei.com/images/news/190208/lif1902080003-p11.jpg
https://www.sankei.com/images/news/190208/lif1902080003-p14.jpg

These concerts seem to bring the crown prince and even his family much relaxation and enjoyment; hopefully it will be possible for him to continue to some degree while emperor.

More English articles about CP Naruhito's 59th birthday.

The IHA has not provided an English translation of the press conference so here's the Japanese version and Google translation

Crown prince ready to carry on legacy, find new role as emperor - The Mainichi
[...] The crown prince also expressed his readiness to explore new possibilities while carrying on the legacy of Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko, saying, "I would like to pursue what is required of the imperial family in accordance with the changing times."

[...]

"I have been trying to have various exchanges with the people ... so I can properly sense what the imperial family should do for them," he said Thursday, adding he wishes to maintain such a principle as a "pillar" of his activities in the future.

[...]

Asked by reporters about his opinion on the future of the imperial family, the crown prince said he would stick to the basic principle of staying with the people while adjusting to the times, a statement he has repeatedly made in the past.

The crown prince also admitted that the imperial family faces issues including the aging and declining number of its members, with females giving up their royal status upon marrying commoners as stipulated by the law, but he declined to comment on how the system should be.

Crown Princess Masako, who has long been receiving treatment for adjustment disorder, is "recovering steadily," the crown prince said, while expressing hope that people will understand she "will not become capable of performing everything overnight."

The crown prince said he believes in the future, "there will be work only she can perform" as a former career diplomat who spent her childhood in Moscow and New York.

[...]

"As the empress has supported the emperor by his side, Crown Princess Masako's smiles have been the source of motivation for the crown prince," said a close aide.
Naruhito facing up to 'gravity' of becoming emperor in May: The Asahi Shimbun
Crown Prince Naruhito is under no illusions about the huge responsibility that awaits him on May 1 when he is scheduled to ascend the Chrysanthemum Throne, saying he draws inspiration from his parents' example and that of other emperors.

"I want to fulfill the role of symbol of the state by constantly being together with the people and sharing in their joy as well as sadness," the heir-in-waiting said at a news conference held Feb. 21 to mark his 59th birthday on Feb. 23.

[...]

Naruhito said the emperor and Empress Michiko have served as "large guide posts" for his own future as they had often told him about what was expected of him.

Indicating that he would follow the example of not only his father, but other past emperors [...]

He added, "It will be important to accept that diversity with a spirit of tolerance while seeking to further develop it through the mutual encouragement of each other."

But Naruhito also said that a "new wind" always blows in each new age and that he would also continue to seek out the proper role for the imperial family in line with the changing times.

Touching on his many years of research in various issues and problems related to water usage, Naruhito said he hoped to utilize what he has learned to mitigate the effects of natural disasters.

The crown prince said that he has always striven to mix with a wide range of people so as to gain a better grasp of what role imperial family members should play. He pledged to continue doing so, as a main pillar after becoming emperor.

[...]

Naruhito was asked about a comment made by his younger brother, Prince Fumihito, raising doubts about using public funds to pay for the Daijosai, a key ceremony for the new emperor in which offerings are made to imperial ancestors and the gods.

Naruhito only said that it was his understanding that the decision had been made after government officials took into careful consideration past precedent and other factors.
ETA: Crown Prince Naruhito turns 59 - News - NHK WORLD - English
[...] When reporters asked the Crown Prince what he thought of the "Heisei" era, he replied that during the current era Japanese have earned a worthy international reputation, and made many achievements on the global stage.

He said that he is particularly happy to see an increasing number of young Japanese, including teenagers, stand out.

He thinks Japan, a country that has enjoyed more than seven decades of peace following the war, now provides a platform for younger generations to cherish their dreams and unleash their talents as future leaders.

Last edited:
[...] Interesting. I wonder whether this was a close family celebration or if the Japanese royals hold large private birthday parties as in many other royal families.

[...]

These concerts seem to bring the crown prince and even his family much relaxation and enjoyment; hopefully it will be possible for him to continue to some degree while emperor.
Not sure about Aiko but I'd guess a family dinner like birthdays/anniversaries for her grandfather and father. Probably includes the Akishino family in Aiko's case. Except for New Year's dinner on January 2nd, the emperor and empress' birthday and anniversary dinners are generally limited to the CP couple, Akishino couple, and the Kurodas.

I recall it's customary for the CP couple to have dinner on their wedding anniversary with the Akishino couple. The Imperial couple joined last year's dinner as it was a milestone wedding anniversary for Naruhito and Masako.

Emperor Akihito, Empress Michiko, Sayako, and Yoshiki Kuroda had dinner with the Crown Prince and Akishino families at Togu Palace on February 23rd for CP Naruhito's 59th birthday.

Screenshots from fnn.jp
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D0Uj02tUcAAjUZ3.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D0Uj2PCU8AIPmJ6.png
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D0Uj3YzU0AA-waK.png

As emperor, Naruhito could be too busy to practice and perform but I also hope he and the family can attend concerts. Currently Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko manage to enjoy some concerts, often limited to 1st or 2nd segments of a performance.

On February 28th, Crown Prince Naruhito received Mirzosharif Jalolov, the Ambassador of Tajikistan to Japan, for an audience.

[...] On February 28, 2019, the Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary of the Republic of Tajikistan to Japan Mr. Mirzosharif Jalolov had the honour to be received by His Imperial Highness Crown Prince Naruhito at his Togu Palace residence in Tokyo.

[...]

Crown Prince Naruhito warmly recalled global water initiatives of the Founder of Peace and National Unity, Leader of the Nation, President of the Republic of Tajikistan and his personal meeting in the framework of the Water Conference in Japan.

Taking opportunity, Crown Prince Naruhito conveyed greetings and best wishes to Head of State H.E. Mr. Emomali Rahmon and the people of Tajikistan.
New Emperor to open Olympics and Paralympics - News - NHK WORLD - English
[...] officials are making arrangements for the new Emperor to be honorary president of both events and attend their opening ceremonies in the summer of 2020.

[...] Prince Akishino [...] will likely preside at the closing ceremonies of both the Olympics and Paralympics.

Officials are also looking at the idea of having the new Emperor attend a planned International Olympic Committee session and reception in Tokyo before the Olympics.
Trump to visit Japan in May, meet new Emperor - News - NHK WORLD - English
Japanese government officials say US President Donald Trump is likely to visit Japan as a state guest in late May. He is expected to become the first foreign leader the new Emperor will meet after ascending the throne.

[...]

[Prime Minister] Abe asked Trump to visit Japan at an early date as the Crown Prince will [succeed] on May first. Japanese officials say Trump showed willingness, and that his visit is expected to take place from May 26 to 28. [...]
:ninja::ninja::ninja:

Last edited:

Crown Prince Naruhito attended a symposium at the United Nations University in Tokyo to mark World Water Day today, March 22:

** ap gallery **

Abe meets Crown Prince after new era name chosen - News - NHK WORLD - English
Japan's Prime Minister Shinzo Abe visited Crown Prince Naruhito at his residence in Tokyo on Monday.

[...]

Abe is also thought to have told the Crown Prince about the government's preparations for the upcoming Imperial succession.

[...]

Abe visited the Imperial Palace last Friday to report on affairs of the state to the Emperor.

[...]
PM Abe meets Crown Prince Naruhito over new era name Reiwa - The Mainichi
[...] the prime minister is believed to have conveyed information on ceremonies related to the Emperor's abdication and the Crown Prince's enthronement as well as the relevant diplomatic schedule.

Time to close this thread, the new one can be found here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom